Difficulty with Smuggler characterization

Vicentegrev

This thread is similar to my "Who is the Inquisitor" thread

I recently completed a Smuggler play through and I've been considering rerolling her but I'm having difficulty with some aspect of her personality. Mainly why does she do what she does? Why does she fight for the Republic? If she was more Mercenary why work only for the Republic? If more Privateer why do all the bad things she did (She was rather brutal and greedy, think South American Cartel Boss)

from the movies we have two main examples of the Smuggler as Han and Lando. Han strikes me in game terms as a Light Side type who was always anti-Imperial since deserting and by series end (and into the EU) is a part of the [New] Republic. Lando is Light Side as well though more self serving and Independent which is hard to play as with the Faction system the way it is

can anyone think of other EU examples of leaning-Dark or Grey Smugglers that would also make sense working solely for the Republic?

bonus question: i like to have my Advanced Class help inform characterization and personality. I went with Scoundrel last time but it felt too, i dunno, cartoony punching droids and "dirty kicking" Kath hounds but it seemed to fit the Cartel Boss model. Who is a Gunslinger though? Ability and tree names seem to imply an anarchist or sapper/saboteur. What does that sound like to you? What type of person has those types of skills and works as a Republic privateer with connections to the Underworld?

as for story decisions IM shooting for

Kill Skavak, kill his girlfriend, romance Corso (again, which brings its own RP issues), abandon the Senator (maybe, i killed her last time), double cross at the end of Act 2, send the ships/fleet/tech to Port Nowhere instead of the Republic, cut a deal with Palloran (maybe, did this last time, may kill him this time), and keep the money or retire ( turned Pirate last time, didn't make much sense)

Edited by Vicentegrev

I played my smuggler as an Imperial sleeper agent who eventually went rogue. So early on in the game I tried to sabotage the Republic from within,, while later I would occasionally go against imperial interests to pursue my own fortune. Played male and romanced Akaavi. Edited by DogeDandolo

I played my smuggler as an Imperial sleeper agent who eventually went rogue. So early on in the game I tried to sabotage the Republic from within,, while later I would occasionally go against imperial interests to pursue my own fortune. Played male and romanced Akaavi.

funny, that was close to my own RP for my first Smuggler, but to be clear I already played a Darkish Scoundrel, but this time around I wanna play more Grey as far as ending and goals (choosing the "just gimme the money" option at the end)

what I'm hoping for from all of you is some guidance or references of other Smuggler-type characters that would make to somewhat model in game. Or in other words, *why* work for the Republic as a privateer while not being a flag waving stooge like those "respectable" suckers Han and Lando?

The smuggler story never really worked for me either. There are no real reasons in the story to side yourself with the republic. Not with the empire either, but we all know all the questgivers and such are reps. On the contrary, there are lots of things that should make the smuggler an independent (as all smugglers tend to be anyway).

Some characters that pop to my mind, Rik Duel from the EU comics, with his friends Dani and Chihdo; theres Mission Vao from KOTOR 1, although she didn't have a ship but she was a bit smuggler-y type.

Edited by Karkais

The smuggler story never really worked for me either. There are no real reasons in the story to side yourself with the republic. Not with the empire either, but we all know all the questgivers and such are reps. On the contrary, there are lots of things that should make the smuggler an independent (as all smugglers tend to be anyway).

Some characters that pop to my mind, Rik Duel from the EU comics, with his friends Dani and Chihdo; theres Mission Vao from KOTOR 1, although she didn't have a ship but she was a bit smuggler-y type.

exactly, what's the hook other than playing some odd independent patriot going full light side. Another EU example is Kyle Katarn but even he was working against the Empire for very personal reasons and then later became a Jedi

Pretty sure the smuggler themselves answers that question in dialog somewhere along the line. Something to the effect of Imperial Regulations and patrols are bad for business. If the Imps win it becomes much harder for the smuggler to survive, because while the Republic has rules and regulations, they have a lot more corruption and graft going on, meaning its easier to survive on the fringes, and grey areas. Also probably much easier to escape someone trying to capture you than willing to kill you outright.

I get that, but the motivation given by the game breaks down when you consider what your smuggler accomplishes. Its more than money since you get more than plenty at the end of Acts 1 & 3 (Act 2 hazy, ask again later)

it feels like the only plausible way is as a patriot or a hard line anti-Imperial

I played my DS smuggler as someone who didn't like the Republic and felt apathetic towards the empire. the only reason he stayed 'friendly' with the Reps was because the Jedi stole his sister (my knight :p) and he is looking for her.

But... I understand your dificulty, and I am also really intrested how others played their Smuggler DS :D.

Practically speaking, there are benefits to an independent operator exclusively offering his services to one side of the conflict or the other. If someone sees you as a trustworthy asset they are more likely to hire you for big jobs that require being told things they wouldn't want leaking out to their enemies. This isn't even mentioning the fact that, realistically speaking, people don't like you if you just killed some of their guys yesterday. The BH story pretty realistically shows how people in positions of power are going to react to a 'free agent' that has killed a **** load of their guys (some of whom were people they knew personally).