Here come the multi-boxers >.<

Antasius

Heads up!

The /follow removal from WoW bgs has opened up a can of worms that's headed this direction.

Here's a quote from some Multi-boxer on WoW named HonerKiller. Better remove /follow from SWTOR asap or there will be fire-storm of gamer-rage brewing.!

The name of this post is: 40 boxer to leave WoW and go play SWTOR

"You heard it here first. 40 accounts times $14.99 per month is $599.60 that Blizzard entertainment has been getting for the last 6 years. With the recent change made concerning the removal of /follow in battlegrounds, this leaves me no choice but to look at other games which support my style of game play.

Given that phasing was implemented which added much more lag to world player versus player combat and many times lead to a server crash, this recent change makes it even more difficult to continue playing this game using this style of game play.

Is the game designed for this style of game play? Yes, because the game mechanics, rules and functions within the game allow it. Players don't determine what is cheating or not, that's up to the game manufacturer set forth in the Terms of Use and End User License Agreement.

Everyone has choices within the free world and free market. When features are removed from a game that has been there for over eight years, players can choose to leave to go play something else. That's the result of removing features and functionality to a game that had many players enjoying the game for what it was and had been prior to the change. Many have voiced their concerns over this recent change and there are some that seem to think that there is a small number of players that will actually leave the game as a result of the change in removing /follow from battlegrounds. Without this feature, the multiboxer will not be able to progress like the rest of the players in terms of Player versus Player (PvP) gear because the best PvP gear is rewarded in this manner.

If there is another way to reward the best PvP gear without doing battlegrounds or arena while maintaining /follow, the multiboxer can continue to progress and enjoy the game as all others of the game would be. This suggests that multiboxers won't be playing battlegrounds or arena but if there were some other method to reward the best gear that currently is from doing rated battlegrounds and arena with conquest points, it would allow the multiboxer to continue progressing. Just a suggestion. Maybe some special world pvp event or something that allows rewards in an equivalent fashion that battlegrounds and arena offer."

End quote.

EDIT: Posted this in the wrong place... General Discussion it is now.

Edited by Antasius

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL.... so that's how WoW maintains it's multi-million paid subs. :p

Seriously though..... let them come. Let them spend that kind of cash for SWTOR subs just to see Bioware shut them down by disabling /follow-player in Warzones a few weeks after they start stinking up the instanced PvP here. :D

/follow would be a horrendous way to PvP in WZ's, due to the stuns/slows/roots alone lol. Also, there is no decent way to grind out top tier PvP gear outside of WZ's, so that's moot.

I have seen players multi-box in previous games, like 4+ toons, and they will utilize a 3rd party program (key recorder) for their movements/abilities. In World PvP, yeah it's quite comical, in WZ's it will be kinda giggled at considering the maps we have. But hey, bring him on lol.

Yeap, there is a ****-storm of on the WoW forums over this. And the Multi-boxers seem to be setting their sights on other games. Yuck.

LOL, I'm going to have to go check out those forums now, and see if you arent full of it. TGIF

That guy spent over $43,000 on WoW subs alone. Plus he had to pay for the box because I think only the initial game came with sub time and all the expacs did not. Plus someone that addicted to crack --- I mean a game more than likely paid extra for those over priced mounts and such.

Yep, he mad.

The idiot deserves to be fleeced if he gave that much devotion to a game.

I 3 boxed in Daoc, 2 boxed in warhammer, 3 boxed in wow, 4 boxed SWG, 3 boxed in eq2 and did the raids with a couple other boxes. Honestly though i have never ever felt the need to box this game in the least bit. I have two accounts but other than first couple months the other account is closed. So much of the game is anti-boxing but also there is no need to do it here. Due to high presence I can solo most stuff, there really isnt alot of things that are worth while to farm and as others have stated the wz would be a pita to box.

Chicken little this people:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/blizzard-removes-follow-command-from-wow-battlegrounds/

The sky looks dark... the dark side of real-life it is.

Just speculation on my part mind you...... but in checking your post history.... you have 5 posts.... all in this thread.

Are you by any chance the quy in question.... and are putting your toes into the water in this forum to see if player feedback supports multi-boxing or to glean info on if it will even work well or not? Or maybe trying to create buzz about it in other game forums?

Not picking on you.... I am genuinely curious. :)

"Just speculation on my part mind you...... but in checking your post history.... you have 5 posts.... all in this thread.

Are you by any chance the quy in question.... and are putting your toes into the water in this forum to see if player feedback supports multi-boxing or to glean info on if it will even work well or not? Or maybe trying to create buzz about it in other game forums?

Not picking on you.... I am genuinely curious. "

I am a new SWTOR subscription player, but oldschool wow junkie. I wouldn't even have posted here if the multi-boxer above didn't come right out and say what they said. I'm just putting the pieces together like everyone else eh. :)

That guy spent over $43,000 on WoW subs alone. Plus he had to pay for the box because I think only the initial game came with sub time and all the expacs did not. Plus someone that addicted to crack --- I mean a game more than likely paid extra for those over priced mounts and such.

Yep, he mad.

The idiot deserves to be fleeced if he gave that much devotion to a game.

So he's an idiot just because he can afford to invest such a sum of money into his hobby? I sense jealousy ;)

Edited by Trollokdamus

i can see two or 3 boxing in a few games, i two boxed in daoc (everyone did) but when you start getting up to 4 or 5 boxes you have problems. But 40?? *** dude? Im betting this 40 box guy is a raving lunatic and i would love to see an interview with him.

So he's an idiot just because he can afford to invest such a sum of money into his hobby? I sence jealousy ;)

He plays 40 characters at once in an mmo, if he can afford it then imo its not the money that makes him an idiot at all.

oh never mind, almost everythng about this story makes this guy an idiot.

Edited by Mallorik

No, jealousy would be when you're in a position where you "wished" you were able to do the same as someone else.

I'm sorry, but no matter how rich I was or much spare time I had, playing loads of characters at the same time online in a multiplayer game is NOT something I wish I could do - far from it.

I enjoy playing the game because I'm actually "playing" it. Running around with a load of other characters all doing the same thing is not playing the game at all.

Also - the clue is in the name "multiplayer". I interact with real people in the games I play - I'm not too caught up in my own world that I cannot make friends, even short term ones to simply get past some content.

In awe? Quite possibly. In awe because I can think of a million and one things I could spend £400 on each month.

I'm not in awe of the fact he obviously cannot make in-game friends and if he's got the time and money to do this, he cannot make real-life friends either.

So jealousy? Definitely not.

Don't multiboxers need to use macros? I'm not an expert at this game, but I thought we can't have macros other than just normal keybinding.

Having said that, wouldn't the multiboxer need some kind of 3rd party software also? <against TOS

Edited by SteelPiranha
derp

Don't multiboxers need to use macros? I'm not an expert at this game, but I thought we can't have macros other than just normal keybinding.

Having said that, wouldn't the multiboxer need some kind of 3rd party software also?

(I've never multiboxed, so take this with a grain of salt :D)

No. They simply roll the same character class on multiple accounts, run them simultaneously on multiple computer and just slave all the computers to one set of controls. In effect... they are doing a single control set focus fire control on multiple characers against one target at a time. People have been doing it for years and honestly it's not against the typical MMO terms of service UNLESS they put a bot on the front end to run the controls (which I gather has in fact been a problem in WoW).

If you read the article linked by the OP carefully, you can see that the action by Blizzard was to attack botters in battlegrounds, NOT multi-boxers per se. They actually make a point to say they are ok with people who want to multi-box arenas, as long as they don't bot to do it.

Edited by Andryah

No. They simply roll the same character class on multiple accounts, run them simultaneously on multiple computer and just slave all the computers to one set of controls. In effect... they are doing a single control set focus fire control on multiple characers against one target at a time.

Gotcha. I just thought the action of slaving as stated above was considered macroing/using 3rd party software...according to the TOS. I'll try to look it up tho.

Edit: From TOS - Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.

Edited by SteelPiranha
Found TOS

Having said that, wouldn't the multiboxer need some kind of 3rd party software also? <against TOS

I triple-boxed in WoW and dual-box in SWTOR (not much need for more than dual-boxing in this game due to Companions).

Most MMO TOS's (including WoW and SWTOR) are structured so that multi-boxing is allowed, as they want the additional subscription/money.

While you are correct in that "macros" are against the TOS, the part you aren't aware of is that "macros" aren't needed to multi-box. Can they be used in multi-boxing? Yes, just like they can be used when single-boxing. The key is that they aren't "needed" to multi-box.

All that is needed is a small program which copies a single keystroke to two or more different game-instance windows. It does not send multiple commands to either window - that would be a macro - but rather a single keystroke for each time the user presses a key. This type of program has typically been found not to be outlaw 3rd party software as it doesn't do anything other than mirror a user's single keystroke - i.e. doesn't hack the game or allow speed boosts or other types of advantages. If it did it would definitely be outlawed. It simply allows a single user to play as if they were grouped, no hack or advantage beyond what an actual group would have.

This has been deemed fair-play by many MMO's, including WoW and SWTOR as user interaction is required for each and every keystroke - even though the same keystroke is occurring in two different "windows".

In fact, many of the programs used to do this are made specifically without the ability to perform macro actions, so they are not outlawed.

That said, I find it hard to take this guy seriously. 40 accounts? Doubtful at best. Controlling anymore than 5 accounts takes quite a bit of skill. Most I've ever heard was 10 accounts. I don't see anyone 40 boxing an MMO.

I personally am not into PVP, and I would be fine if BW disabled /follow while in PVP areas. I used multi-boxing for PVE and don't see the need for it in PVP.

Gotcha. I just thought the action of slaving as stated above was considered macroing/using 3rd party software...according to the TOS. I'll try to look it up tho.

Edit: From TOS - Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.

Exactly. This type of software is not "auto", it does not automate anything at all - the user has to press a key for each and every action.

Not a "macro" program as this software only allows a single keypress, not scripted things (i.e. pusing Num 5 makes the game do 3 different attacks - this would be a macro, but this type of software does not do that.)

And it is also not "cheat" software. It provides no benefit other than allowing grouping.

Oh cool, thanks for the clarification :)

So basically, as long as there is a user input for every action or ability then it's ok...but if you were to hit 1 key and all 40 toons did a full rotation each it would violate the TOS?

Edit: You type faster than me lol

Edited by SteelPiranha