Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR must be in Portuguese


BaronV's Avatar


BaronV
05.13.2013 , 12:03 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by nshotsman View Post
We are a republic, not an empire, as our governing bodies are elected. What was that line about talking smack about countries one knows little to nothing about again?
The USA is a republic in the technical sense of the functioning of it's government but throughout it's history it has loved behaving as an empire. (Manifest Destiny anyone?)
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:06 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
The only Portuguese speaking countries are Portugal, Brazil, East Timor, Angola and maybe parts of Mozambique

Yup healluva large market there
Brazil alone is larger than every other south american country put together, has a booming economy and a population of almost 200 million.

So yeah, it's quite a big market.

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
05.13.2013 , 12:08 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
Se quiseres que eu escreva em Português, também posso. Mas já que estes foruns são direcionados para um público Inglês, nāo vejo qual seria o interesse...

And it's not a complaint, just something for BioWare to take into account once the game's reach begins to widen to a more...global level.
Haha. Estiveste bem sem dúvida.

Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
The only Portuguese speaking countries are Portugal, Brazil, East Timor, Angola and maybe parts of Mozambique

Yup healluva large market there
I sometimes wonder, do people even know that portuguese is ahead of french or russian for example, when it comes to one of the most spoken languages in the planet? Just saying. What a flawed thought to say the least.

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:14 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by nshotsman View Post
We are a republic, not an empire, as our governing bodies are elected. What was that line about talking smack about countries one knows little to nothing about again?
empire |ˈemˌpī(ə)r|
noun
1 an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress:
empire (adj.)
[ in names ] : the Roman Empire.
• a large commercial organization owned or controlled by one person or group: her business empire grew.
• an extensive operation or sphere of activity controlled by one person or group: the kitchen had once been the ladies' empire.
• supreme political power over several countries when exercised by a single authority: he encouraged the Greeks in their dream of empire in Asia Minor.
• archaic absolute control over a person or group.

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:21 PM | #35
This leaving aside the fact that the Roman Empire was a "Republic" for most of its existence.

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
05.13.2013 , 12:23 PM | #36
Brazil force is the best guild ever!!!!
Medïvh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
Dïomedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

nshotsman's Avatar


nshotsman
05.13.2013 , 12:29 PM | #37
After doing a little research via Google, I've come to the position that if and when Bioware decides to add an additional language translation that it should actually be Portuguese as much of the information I found points to Brazil being the largest Latin-American market for Online Entertainment. So ultimately there is probably more merit to this thread than the one it spawned from. I'm sure Bioware is aware of that market info so ultimately it's their call. Still don't see it happening anytime soon though as they are obviously far more focused on improving upon current content and systems,
"It is when the world is darkest that we must see the light in others" ~ Satele Shan

BaronV's Avatar


BaronV
05.13.2013 , 12:34 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
I sometimes wonder, do people even know that portuguese is ahead of french or russian for example, when it comes to one of the most spoken languages in the planet? Just saying. What a flawed thought to say the least.
Care to quote your source of said claimed "fact"?

Top 5 spoken languages in the world by population (native & secondary)

1) Mandarin
2) English
3) Spanish
4) Hindi
5) Arabic

Source: Ethnologue: Kryss Talaat's estimation technique. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...er_of_speakers)

Going by that logic we should have Chinese as the next language for SWTOR to be translated to.

PS: About 20 odd years ago french used to be number 2 in the world. Interesting to note how it has fallen off the top 5 even though most of Africa is french speaking
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:36 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Care to quote your source of said claimed "fact"?

Top 5 spoken languages in the world by population (native & secondary)

1) Mandarin
2) English
3) Spanish
4) Hindi
5) Arabic
I noticed you stopped short at

6) Portuguese

source: same as yours

nshotsman's Avatar


nshotsman
05.13.2013 , 12:37 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
empire |ˈemˌpī(ə)r|
noun
1 an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress:
empire (adj.)
[ in names ] : the Roman Empire.
• a large commercial organization owned or controlled by one person or group: her business empire grew.
• an extensive operation or sphere of activity controlled by one person or group: the kitchen had once been the ladies' empire.
• supreme political power over several countries when exercised by a single authority: he encouraged the Greeks in their dream of empire in Asia Minor.
• archaic absolute control over a person or group.
USA doesn't fit any of those definitions in totality. There is no one person in our government with supreme power. Yes our President has veto power but that can be overruled by a super majority of congress. We have large commercial organizations in our country but that is not our government. We have no supreme power over other countries exercised by a single authority or otherwise, and the last bullet point again references absolute power which is again not the case in the USA. Not quite sure what the point of posting that was.
"It is when the world is darkest that we must see the light in others" ~ Satele Shan