Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR must be in Portuguese

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:40 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by nshotsman View Post
USA doesn't fit any of those definitions in totality. There is no one person in our government with supreme power. Yes our President has veto power but that can be overruled by a super majority of congress. We have large commercial organizations in our country but that is not out government. We have no supreme power over other countries exercised by a single authority or otherwise, and the bullet point again references absolute power which is again not the case in the USA. Not quite sure what the point of posting that was.
The very first bullet-point alone is as accurate a description of the United States as I've ever seen.

But the main point was to lay out how the terms "empire" and "republic" are not mutually exclusive.

Kolskeggur
05.13.2013 , 12:43 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
There are 40+ million Spanish-speaking people in Spain alone.
Add Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguai, Chile and other numerous countries to the mix, and you've got a huge untapped market in your hands.

Same goes for Portuguese-speaking countries.
Yeah, but are those countries where you can expect a lot of subscribers? How big percentage of people in Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and the rest of Latin and South America have internet access? And how big percentage of those have the luxury of having enough extra money to subscribe?

One would assume that EA haven't yet thought that the cost of translating the game + advertising it over there would be covered by the income they could get from those regions.
"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:43 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Kolskeggur View Post
Yeah, but are those countries where you can expect a lot of subscribers? How big percentage of people in Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and the rest of Latin and South America have internet access? And how big percentage of those have the luxury of having enough extra money to subscribe?
I suspect bigger than you'd think.

There's a reason why Carlos Slim, a Mexican, is (officially) the world's richest man. There's a reason why Telefonica, a company based in Spain and Latin America, is the fifth largest mobile network provider on earth.

nshotsman
05.13.2013 , 12:49 PM | #44
The very first bullet-point alone is as accurate a description of the United States as I've ever seen.

But the main point was to lay out how the terms "empire" and "republic" are not mutually exclusive.
Care to tell me who in my country fits the definition of Supreme Authority?

supreme authority
Web definitions
arbiter: someone with the power to settle matters at will; "she was the final arbiter on all matters of fashion".
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

if not that first bullet can't apply, as I've already explained
"It is when the world is darkest that we must see the light in others" ~ Satele Shan

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 12:51 PM | #45
Care to tell me who in my country fits the definition of Supreme Authority?

supreme authority
Web definitions
arbiter: someone with the power to settle matters at will; "she was the final arbiter on all matters of fashion".
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

if not that first bullet can't apply, as I've already explained
It doesn't have to be a "who", it can be a "what". A political structure, for instance.

nshotsman
05.13.2013 , 12:58 PM | #46
It doesn't have to be a "who", it can be a "what". A political structure, for instance.
If you're going to interpret it that widely than EVERY country is an empire. If you think there is any body of our government that has the ability to make decisions at whim you don't understand our political structure at all. No branch of our government can do anything without the cooperation of the others. Both the Senate and House have to agree, then our President has to agree, and if he doesn't he sends it back to Congress, if they can muster enough votes to override his veto THEN it becomes law...but that's not necessarily the end because if we the people disagree and take it to the courts, the courts can rule the law unconstitutional and void it. I don't see how that is Supreme Authority. It takes forever to get anything accomplished.
"It is when the world is darkest that we must see the light in others" ~ Satele Shan

Kolskeggur
05.13.2013 , 01:07 PM | #47
I suspect bigger than you'd think.

There's a reason why Carlos Slim, a Mexican, is (officially) the world's richest man. There's a reason why Telefonica, a company based in Spain and Latin America, is the fifth largest mobile network provider on earth.
How much do mobile network tell, though? Is it used by computers that can handle SWTOR, or mobile phones which can't handle anything more advanced than Facebook? While there might be a lot with internet access, one could question how common it is to have a computer setup that would play SWTOR without crashing every third minute.
"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Saiaku
05.13.2013 , 01:08 PM | #48
STAR WARS are english-spoken movies on the internet which is also based on english language.
If you want to combine the two, maybe.. learn english.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/28145338.jpg
Hidden Beks -> Nightmare Lands -> The Red Eclipse

NogueiraA
05.13.2013 , 01:09 PM | #49
Hi, I'm a brazilian player, beta-tester and I pay my sub since launch.
What I can say about it? No, we don't need a translation to portuguese. Why?
1 - Some translations are terrible like "Force Lightning" will be "Raio de Força"... "Dark Infusion" - "Infusão obscura". No.
2 - Players. A lot of kids 12~16 yr old will play the game, and you guys know what kids do in a game, being realist. This is a natural selection. I know sometimes adults can be worse than a kid,
3 - Learn english, have classes, talk with other people, learn another language. I did and everybody can do, don't be lazy. English is way easier to learn than portuguese or spanish.
4 - Time spend to do it, they can do 2 new operations instead.

I'm talking about portuguese language and I speak spanish too, I prefer the game as it is.

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 01:10 PM | #50
If you're going to interpret it that widely than EVERY country is an empire. If you think there is any body of our government that has the ability to make decisions at whim you don't understand our political structure at all. No branch of our government can do anything without the cooperation of the others. Both the Senate and House have to agree, then our President has to agree, and if he doesn't he sends it back to Congress, if they can muster enough votes to override his veto THEN it becomes law...
You've just successfully described, albeit unknowingly, the Roman Empire.