Why u no Teamwork?

Iceian

Why the **** doesn't anyone like teaming up in this game? I come from a fairly populated server (The Shadowlands) and it seems that out of the 20 to 25 people on any given planet I'm on I am the only one with an LFG message.

So the question stands. WHY U NO TEAMWORK SWTOR? :confused:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pin it down to one of two things:

- Either people are shy and actually need a bit of a nudge via General Chat before you can actually interact with them and do fun stuff like Heroics or Flashpoints, or;

- They're the antisocial solo-players who are killing off the multiplayer aspect of MMOs everywhere :p

I find it really funny when one person will come to a new world that has a dead chat and say "X amount of people here, no one is talking". And right after that the entire populace partakes in good conversation.

..at least for a while.

Until the one who initiated it leaves. Then we're back to radio silence.

Do they haz no backbone? Afraid to talk when their shining social butterfly is gone?

It's sad :jawa_frown:

I for one am always that guy who wants More MM in his MMO. Why the hell not team up with some random group on the boring *** planet that your on? I LOVE teaming with jedi's for instance, Powerful, quick and damn they take alot of that aggro off of me!

I even love playing through the other classes story-lines. I want everyone to try and change the trend! Talk to random people when you step on the planet, hell you never know, you might make a few friends.

I find it really funny when one person will come to a new world that has a dead chat and say "X amount of people here, no one is talking". And right after that the entire populace partakes in good conversation.

..at least for a while.

Until the one who initiated it leaves. Then we're back to radio silence.

Do they haz no backbone? Afraid to talk when their shining social butterfly is gone?

It's sad :jawa_frown:

i do that everytime i go to kaas, pretty funny.

I notice that players plan on doing heroics when its convenient FOR THEM, even if there is already a group available. Fortunately my guild has reached a point where there is always some 50 willing to help out with what ever heroic/fp needs to be done.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but my personal feeling is that I had really been hoping for a KOTOR 3 since 2004, and it felt like soloing as much of TOR as possible was the closest I'd ever get to that. There was also a sort of unique feel to KOTOR as a single-player game that for various reasons doesn't really seem present in an MMO where you're geared to interacting with other players. I don't know for sure, but maybe KOTOR appealed more to a largely single-player market base that wasn't as thrilled with the MMO idea. Some people might be accustomed to gaming and socializing being two separate things. So, players might be more interested in continuing their personal class quests than doing group quests that reset each day.

Maybe server populations are a factor too? Night owls won't see as many other players on to play group quests.

That or because at least in my experience it's a lot easier to get quick credits through PvP than to bother with doing every group quest :p.

I notice that players plan on doing heroics when its convenient FOR THEM, even if there is already a group available.

Yep. That's how it goes. And once that group that was LFM fills up, the players who were thinking in the back of their minds "they'll still be there when I'm at that point" end up spamming the chat with "LFG LFG LFG".

That's what I like to see in my chatbox <.<

Maybe server populations are a factor too? Night owls won't see as many other players on to play group quests.

I usually get on in the morning before I head off to work at 5 p.m., and again at 1 a.m. The population is pretty constant on my server. I can't relate to those who complain about unpopulated servers because, frankly, I was never dumb enough to choose a LIGHT server.

That or because at least in my experience it's a lot easier to get quick credits through PvP than to bother with doing every group quest :p.

It's not about credits and who is the richest -_- It's an MMORPG. Where you're supposed to play with friends and let camaraderie happen..

Edited by StarryCiel

Some people are shy and will not talk much.

They feel uncomfortable even talking to people on the internet so sometimes they just never answer looking for groups or even talk in general.

I know a friend who is very shy and will only talk in the guild. She just feel uncomfortable trying to talk in general.

Sometimes they just need a little help and a little acceptance instead.

Some people are shy and will not talk much.

They feel uncomfortable even talking to people on the internet so sometimes they just never answer looking for groups or even talk in general.

I know a friend who is very shy and will only talk in the guild. She just feel uncomfortable trying to talk in general.

Sometimes they just need a little help and a little acceptance instead.

I can understand that completely, what I still cant understand is how the hell AN ENTIRE PLANET can just fall as silent as if taken by the plague...As if a million voices suddenly cried out in terror, and then suddenly silenced. I feel something terrible is happening. ;)

Edited by Iceian

- Either people are shy and actually need a bit of a nudge via General Chat before you can actually interact with them and do fun stuff like Heroics or Flashpoints, or;

- They're the antisocial solo-players who are killing off the multiplayer aspect of MMOs everywhere :p

Have you played WoW by any chance?

Have you played WoW by any chance?

As a matter of fact, yes! And in my honest opinion, it's still THE most inaccessible MMO community out there due to the fact that nobody bloody talks to one another in-game and the more active guilds had completely ridiculous 'entry requirements'. No hope for small talk that wasn't peppered with stat-jargon outside of the forums, and on the forums there's still epic QQ over Pandas. It's a damn shame too because I actually enjoy the game insofar as the lore and combat, just hate the attitudes of the players and their lack of drive to partake in some fun co-op with people outside their tight-knit cliques.

Community without real communication? Madness.

coz you can't emote while mounted to break the ice when you see someone :D

but seriously * half the time you're in a cutscene where you can't see your chat so any conversations get cut off * people are too busy being all immersed and have no time for other people * they're working on solo content to unlock transport to points near group content * they're new to the server and are so overwhelmed by the 20-25 people (which I don't think I've ever seen past Alderaan) they take it for granted that when they're looking for people and everything's gtg for them then people will still be there, not sure :confused:. bad mood? * shy? * lack of social confidence around strangers? * not interested in group content? * they're in queues for warzones? * don't want the xp loss grouping solo content creates? idk, I've thought about this and wondered why too... also, been guilty of some of the above at times. * Seems in Fleet anything that's not LFG spam confuses people, * don't want to get a Trade Troll rep, * worried about getting popular if they're not confident in their playing ability so end up attracting a lot of bad attention (remember, the idea of keeping LFG single server is so we all know who the bads are so we don't group with them - and that's central to not destroying a community apparently). * Can think of some reasons, but overall I just don't get it.

Edited by Darnu

I dont know about you, but Im worrying about the other people in the team to an extent that I cant immerse myself in my character anymore. So I prefer solo leveling because of the immersion. I dont want to make other people wait for me for example. Alternately, most of the players I team with just prefer to run from place to place, spacebutton through conversations, etc rush through the content. I dont want that when Im leveling a new character, so I prefer solo. Because of this, I appreciate the ability to solo my class quests at least.

And of course theres no textchat while in combat, which is what the team would be doing most of its time. If people dont chat while in team, the whole idea of being in a team loses its point I think.

My lvl 50 however spends most of his time standing around, waiting crew missions to finish for crafting, watching star destroyers fly about and participate discussions in general chat.

Yesterday I participated in a low level FP to help some people out.

I'm guilty of turning down an awful lot of invitations to team play, and I feel honor bound to explain why I do this.

I have a very busy schedule and have almost no personal time left for dedicated gaming: my highest level character is level 32.

I'm a bit different from the average gamer. I luck out because I have no family demanding my time, but I do volunteer my personal time for a non-profit community oriented internet radio station. Most times, when I attempt to play SWTOR, I am either running a radio show while I play, or providing support for other crew members on air.

When I'm logged in, I have instant halts in safe aggro-free zones for 5-15 minutes to handle one of those two situations. I'm lucky I can game at all really. The reason I turn down invitations for team play is simply that I could not in conscience ask people to stop dead and wait around randomly, and also sometimes some issues come up that are so fast or problematic, that I do actually end up dying in combat because I got distracted outside the game.

My case is weird, and different. However lets look at the average "has a life" video gamer. I'm not talking about the hard core players who seem to be getting by on student loans, family mooching (kids or stay at home parents), or social security/disability so they have nothing more to do with their time than game. I'm talking about the average 30+ working adult with friends, relationships, and family.

Let's look at some basic stats:

24 hours in a day

-10 for a regular working person pulling a normal job

-----

14 hours left

- 8 for healthy sleep

-----------

6 hours left

- 2 hours for meals, hygeine, basic housekeeping

---------------------------

4 hours

Let's figure the average player as reported by the guild summit plays 5 hours a day. If this person holds a job, then he either:

A) Has no relationships or hobbies outside SWTOR to take up his time. Those things would need some of that 4 hours a day "free time". They also might simply have someone else totally doing all housekeeping and meals for him/her, which makes them rather rotten people to be in a relationship with in my opinion.

B) lives in complete squalor where she/he never does basic things like vacuum, shower, sleep regular, eat healthy meals that don't come instant from delivery.

There is no effing way, a healthy, normal, working adult with a spouse and family could POSSIBLY put in more than about 3-4 hours a day at the most. And usually that would only be maybe 3-4 days a week, not all 7 because hey, what about grocery shopping, school plays, sick kids, or getting some "quality time" with your partner huh?

So let's look at those people while they are logged in with the assumption they don't belong in category A or B. I was one of those people, single mom, working 12 hours a day, with a kid. So I remember what it was like. I got about 3-4 hours game time late at night after bed time, with interruptions. I bet they have kids waking up wanting their glass of water, spouses who want to talk about something quickly, house chores like taking a quick run to the trash can, or cooking/cleaning up after dinner. These things interrupt our game time a lot, which make it really hard to team up and agree to settle down for a marathon team work gaming run. I think this is why it's harder to get teams.

I don't think we need to search for some mysterious socio-pathical issue here, it's just that maybe there are a lot more casual game players than the hard core guys around in this game. Let's face it, it does attract an older demographic model of 35-50 range ages simply because of the original age of the Star Wars movies which is the main attract-or to playing this game in the first place. Those people most likely to have jobs, spouses, kids, than the average MMO which appeals more to the 15-25 lifestyle crowd.

It's really just about statistics. Let's look at another fun one, last night I was in Nar Shadda Public Test Server. There were 10 people on Nar Shaddaa when I log in, and I have 2 hours to play, chances are not a single one of those people are the same level as me, or working the same quest line I'm working on at the time. How many quest lines are there on Nar Shaddaa? Well, let's just look at map areas: Nikto, Red Light, Industrial, and Shady Town if I remember right. So that's 10 people spread out over different parts of 4 zones. 4 zones / 10 people = 40% chance of any of them even remotely being in the same area I am in. Each of those zones is further subdivided into a minimum of 2 major quest line series. So cut that 40% chance down in half and that leaves me with a 20% chance only of meeting someone same level range, same zone, same quest line I'm on.

So it's complicated and long, but the thing is, it's not always about a psychological issue here. Sometimes it's just the numbers run against us in finding someone else compatible faction/level/zone/series/play style wise to play with. Add to that we're split between some major global time zones, the number really run against us teaming up on a statistical basis.

Hey now, just because we prefer to solo the content doesn't mean we're antisocial. Believe it or not some people play games for their own entertainment.

Besides it isn't our fault they made KOTOR 2 a MMO.

As for me the problem that I usually encounter is if I group up with other players they just skip the conversation and space bar all the way. I'm an RPG player so everytime I do heroics or flashpoints I want to read the conversations, I want to know the story behind the quest, and for some people that's annoying since they have to wait for me to finish the conversation.

So what do I do? I just play solo so that I can have my time. Sometimes I party up with close friends. But generally I just do solo.

Edited by Ian_Planeswalker

As for me the problem that I usually encounter is if I group up with other players they just skip the conversation and space bar all the way. I'm an RPG player so everytime I do heroics or flashpoints I want to read the conversations, I want to know the story behind the quest, and for some people that's annoying since they have to wait for me to finish the conversation.

So what do I do? I just play solo so that I can have my time. Sometimes I party up with close friends. But generally I just do solo.

I pug a lot for flashpoints and it annoys me when a player "orders" another one to spacebar though the conversations. If someone wishes to read all the conversations I don't mind at all, it's her/his right to do that. It'd only take at most 3-4 more minutes to complete that flashpoint, what's the rush?!

I'm guilty of turning down an awful lot of invitations to team play, and I feel honor bound to explain why I do this.

I'm a bit different from the average gamer. I luck out because I have no family demanding my time, but I do volunteer my personal time for a non-profit community oriented internet radio station. Most times, when I attempt to play SWTOR, I am either running a radio show while I play, or providing support for other crew members on air.

When I'm logged in, I have instant halts in safe aggro-free zones for 5-15 minutes to handle one of those two situations. I'm lucky I can game at all really. The reason I turn down invitations for team play is simply that I could not in conscience ask people to stop dead and wait around randomly, and also sometimes some issues come up that are so fast or problematic, that I do actually end up dying in combat because I got distracted outside the game.

No, not strange, not unusual, pretty normal. many people logged on are doing something like this, sort of half-playing and half doing something else. That's most probably the biggest reason why looking at numbers and /who lists means nothing. Kids aren't at school? It's not their settled, playing/dinner time? Housework is getting done? For solo content it's fine. For checking mail and crafting it's fine. Might be logged in, but can't dedicate that time to a game for group content. It's a reality of MMORPG's. Designing crew skills around the idea that you didn't have to turn down invitations to farm for your operation etc was a start, but only that.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but my personal feeling is that I had really been hoping for a KOTOR 3 since 2004, and it felt like soloing as much of TOR as possible was the closest I'd ever get to that..

Number one, see above.

Number two, I have 99 bad experiences grouping with people I don't know for every 1 good experience.

Number three, when you just flip a group invite at me without talking to me at all first, I automatically reject.

Number four, I'm a casual player and don't like rushing through things the way most players like to.

I see little groups or chat anywhere other than fleet. I think some is due to the sucsess of guilds and voice chat. Nobody needs to off cuz they have lots of guildies and if they want to talk its in box vent or whatever.

Some is just do to lack of needing to group to complete things and "professional gamers" as I call them don't want to be slowed down by pesky group chat or help.

Good or bad I think this is the new way. Just my op.

I hope more than anything that this is not the "New Trend" in MMO's, I fear if it is I might quit playing them all together. If so-called "professional gamers" want to waste their time being self righteous shmucks that don't play along with anyone properly. Then I say that the lot of them go find a new game to play, perhaps something like CoD. ooooo or even better, designate a bunch of servers for just those types of people. Leave us with the players that ACTUALLY want to team up.

Hey now, just because we prefer to solo the content doesn't mean we're antisocial. Believe it or not some people play games for their own entertainment.

Besides it isn't our fault they made KOTOR 2 a MMO.

I'm more talking about the people who just abstractly don't talk at all in chat channels. It really kills the mood when you've got a planetful of players and it's dead silent.

And yes, it's nice to just do your own thing for a while on an MMO without being heckled to do quests, but then if you're not going to utilize the actual multiplayer aspects at all and group together to tackle some tough quests then what's the point of you paying the subscription fee? It's like if I were to say 'Hey, I'll buy this multiplayer-only FPS and play the LAN all by myself because I like the franchise tacked onto it', it's ultimately redundant.

To be fair, once you've heard the same conversation through three alts, do you really want to waste your precious gaming time listening to it all over again just to level up?

For my first and usually second time in a quest series, I listen to the voice acted parts and read it and get into it and go with the rpg flow of the game. By the time I leveled my 8th character through Ord Mantell, the repeated long-winded conversations, and even worse the parts where my character says the exact same lines they say in a third of ALL conversations it starts to feel like nails on a chalkboard to me.

The voice acting is great first couple play through's in each planet but after that it just bores me to tears. I'm so sick of "so where do I come into this" and a few other lines that my smuggler repeats nauseatingly often, and after leveling 8 Smugglers over beta and ega through Ord Mantel, well, I gotta skip it because it really isn't that great.

When I get in a group with other players I let them set the pace. I've gone through the entire Esseles with people who RP'd the entire way with long pauses and breaks and I was cool with that, then I've gone through on power runs to get social points or light/dark points or gear, and I'm OK with that too.

So the biggest shame really is people who can't be flexible or compromise. For me having people to team with is more important. If I'm power leveling I do that alone at my pace. Otherwise it's totally different ballgame. I think the "professional gamers" previous posters refer to are power levelers who skip content in order to reach the challenging end game stuff or to pvp.

I'm ok with that playstyle, and with them sharing my server, but it's another reason I don't team up too often because my explorer type playstyle that searches behind every rock for a chest or lore item tends to frustrate the heck out of most people rofl. This is also why I stick to only 2 main mirrored characters at a time to level up and my highest level character is still only level 32. But I can tell you, I have left no flower unexamined on Balmorra!!

Why the **** doesn't anyone like teaming up in this game? I come from a fairly populated server (The Shadowlands) and it seems that out of the 20 to 25 people on any given planet I'm on I am the only one with an LFG message.

So the question stands. WHY U NO TEAMWORK SWTOR? :confused:

Brother, I've got to be honest: I'd rather this game were not a massive multiplayer game, but rather a game just I and my wife to play together on. Even so, if somebody asked me to team up, I'll consider it - and have once or twice.