vader banned from star wras

grandmthethird

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/darth-vader-star-explains-feud-with-george-lucas.html

poor darth vader,

lesson one, don't mess with the dark side of star wars

Prowse and Lucas just need to get over each other and settle their differences for the fans. On a side note: I am on David Prowse's side, it was screwed up to not tell him that his voice was being dubbed over. He didn't even know until he watched it in theaters with his friends and family, that would be so embarassing to say "I get to play this awesome new villain!" and then have the movie start and the voice not be yours making you look like a liar or like you are overplaying your role.

Its fine IMO, he wasnt getting paid to be a full actor. And Imo he is kind of an idiot for going against Lucas and complaining on Public Interviews, and he didnt expect anything to happen to him? We all know how Lucas is, I guess this guy didnt...

Its fine IMO, he wasnt getting paid to be a full actor. And Imo he is kind of an idiot for going against Lucas and complaining on Public Interviews, and he didnt expect anything to happen to him? We all know how Lucas is, I guess this guy didnt...

That happens to any actor. If you complain about the director of a movie or TV show you are on, it's likely that you are gonna get screwed over. That's how Hollywood works.

That happens to any actor. If you complain about the director of a movie or TV show you are on, it's likely that you are gonna get screwed over. That's how Hollywood works.

There's a reason for that. Would YOU go to see a movie if the very people who helped make it said the movie sucked?

Also, when can we start seeing a Lucas vs Labeouf fight? Shia had some rather unkind things to say about that Indiana Jones movie before it got released. Even Harrison Ford started getting irritated. :D

Prowse and Lucas just need to get over each other and settle their differences for the fans. On a side note: I am on David Prowse's side, it was screwed up to not tell him that his voice was being dubbed over. He didn't even know until he watched it in theaters with his friends and family, that would be so embarassing to say "I get to play this awesome new villain!" and then have the movie start and the voice not be yours making you look like a liar or like you are overplaying your role.

That would be my first thought -- shock and embarrassment. Then I would realize that the voice replacing mine is James Earl bleeping Jones' and I'd be in awe. There's no shame in being replaced by the best.

That would be my first thought -- shock and embarrassment. Then I would realize that the voice replacing mine is James Earl bleeping Jones' and I'd be in awe. There's no shame in being replaced by the best.

You are right, but he should have been informed, that would have been quite a kick in the groin. He probably looked like a liar to his friends and family when they heard a voice different than his and he had to stop and come up with reason why the voice wasn't his.

Edited by Tuscad

You are right, but he should have been informed, that would have been quite a kick in the groin. He probably looked like a liar to his friends and family when they heard a voice different than his and he had to stop and come up with reason why the voice wasn't his.

I'm with you on this one, man. David Prowse got screwed over by George Lucas. Having been in the position of not being informed of changes that affected my job, I can empathize with him on that. George was shady to go behind his back, to say the least.

I'm with you on this one, man. David Prowse got screwed over by George Lucas. Having been in the position of not being informed of changes that affected my job, I can empathize with him on that. George was shady to go behind his back, to say the least.

Jokes about James Earl Jones aside (who's freaking awesome), I'm on the fence on this one. Clearly, Lucas handled Prowse poorly at the outset. Clearly, Prowse had good reason to be upset about the whole voice thing. I'm as critical of George Lucas as the next over-opinionated internet guy.

That said, the article cited in the OP is obviously one-sided. If you read between the lines, Prowse has done more than his fair share of public pouting about the Star Wars franchise, and that's not a smart move. The bad blood may have started with Lucas' rudeness, but I can't help but assign some amount of blame to Prowse. Like you, I can empathize with the bitterness that accompanies poor treatment on the job, but I have zero sympathy for someone who gets punished for criticizing his (nominal) employer in public.

Still, a sad tale all around.

Edited by Invictos

Not telling a guy that they're dubbing him over and replacing him for the final battle scene in the trilogy is like having your wisdom teeth violently ripped from your mouth without anesthetic. Now, yes, everyone loves James Earl Jones, and heck if Prowse had been Told that, while he fit the build if what they envisioned Vader to be, his vocal talents were not up to par with what they were hoping for and were instead hiring an extra to voice the lines, then a lot of grievous situations could've been avoided.

It's like stiffing a man out of his pension by firing him a month before he retires. The first time Lucas screwed him may have been more of an accident, what with planning and directing and doing all the stuff for the movie. The next few times were clearly intentional. So what if Prowse talked to some people later about what went on? If you didn't wanna hear negative criticism from your actors and employees, then you shouldn't treat them like crap.

Don't get me wrong. He doesn't do it to everyone, but Lucas needs to understand that he is a very Limited person and steamrolling everyone who doesn't agree with him or talks about what happened openly isn't gonna put him in everyone's good graces. Lucas is responsible for Star Wars. He created something that people will enjoy for generations. But he needs to learn that it wasn't Just his vision. Dozens of people worked on it and even more continue to evolve the Star Wars universe. He needs to let go of the steering wheel and see where others can take it and in what direction it will go.