Why did BW not make the early chapter companions same-sex romanceable?

Lhancelot

I had a lengthy discussion with a player I met in the game recently who explained how sad she was because all the early chapter companions cannot be same-sex romanced.

She told me how much she did enjoy Lana Beniko's story though, and that the romance really left her feeling quite moved. I was impressed that the story in the game, a later story to be exact could have that effect on someone. In actuality it makes me want to play through KOTFE and KOTET just to see if the story really is that good.

Anyway, my point is, I agree they dropped the ball when they first developed the game without including same-sex romances for all of the original companions.

I am curious, did they ever say why they did not?

I mean it seems no one cares if same-sex romances occur as they won't affect the individual because you can make choices what route the characters take with you so you can avoid any romance if that's not what you want.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was posted years ago. George Lucas wouldn't allow it. Since he sold the rights to Disney, they have a different thought on the subject.

It would require quite a bit of work and cost to re-do the voice overs and scenes for the first three chapters, to put that aspect in.

They said they would at some point in the blurry past . Then they said 'They want to do it right ! Aka : Make same-sex companions that have the potentiel for it not every companions . I remember there was a talk like Kaliyo could be one ' . Turn out , in the end..like everything else is just vague promises that led nowhere and nowdays they have yet another exuse of 'Don't have the crew , don't have the money...we really want to! But can't' .

Honestly , don't think they want to . They just lie like for everything else to keep peoples around .

There were larges topics about this . Nowdays they are buried somewhere . Peoples hoped and hoped and..look at today . We still got nothing .

They said they would at some point in the blurry past . Then they said 'They want to do it right ! Aka : Make same-sex companions that have the potentiel for it not every companions . I remember there was a talk like Kaliyo could be one ' . Turn out , in the end..like everything else is just vague promises that led nowhere and nowdays they have yet another exuse of 'Don't have the crew , don't have the money...we really want to! But can't' .

Honestly , don't think they want to . They just lie like for everything else to keep peoples around .

There were larges topics about this . Nowdays they are buried somewhere . Peoples hoped and hoped and..look at today . We still got nothing .

The fact Kaliyo isn't an option is just stupid. She comes across that way heavily, and some of the dialogue (even on a fem Agent) makes me think she WAS an option at some point in development and it got changed last minute. She's definitely flirty, even with females.

I read a claim years ago that LucasArts didn't want it there -- they had to kind of smuggle Juhani and her feelings for female PC in KotOR, too.

Also, Kaliyo should have been a romance for females too, damnit.

Edited by Seireeni

It was posted years ago. George Lucas wouldn't allow it. Since he sold the rights to Disney, they have a different thought on the subject.

It would require quite a bit of work and cost to re-do the voice overs and scenes for the first three chapters, to put that aspect in.

^ This. Lucas has always been against SS.

Yep. Fickle George always wanting to control the narrative inside everything Star Wars. Happily, he no longer has that sort of tight fisted control.

Disney will present another conundrum over the long term though... whatever best supports both merchandizing revenue and the Disney image (whatever it might be at the time) will dictate what is/is-not done with respect to Disney IP. It remains to be seen exactly how this manifests with the Star Wars IP... but they way they have done things so far (remember fan outbursts over the last moive?) says to expect there to be some pissed off fans no matter what they do or do not do. Same goes for the Marvel IP too.. which Disney also owns and has been (in some fans eyes) distorting the crap out of it since they purchased it nearly a decade ago.

The romances for Lana and Theron are pretty well done OP on those expansions.

On early chapters, I assumed someone from the top didn't want SW to introduce same sex relationships at the beginning, however I'm disappointed they didn't introduce them on the returns on KOFTE/KOTET reunions. Even if the romance content would be so tiny, it would still be something. You become close to a lot of these characters, you can just headcanon they decided to express their feelings for each other now. Like Ashara or Andronikos now, "all this time alone made me realize how much I care for you blah blah".

Personally, I think the romance "portion" of this game is pointless and silly. I don't feel that the addition of "flirt" options makes the game more appealing to more people. I don't think that's what people "buying" the game are hoping to get from it.

I can't help but look at the Star Wars franchise' history. Before Disney purchased it, there weren't any homosexual characters in movies, novels, games, etc... and the brand did very well. There also wasn't any strong language, sex scenes or graphic violence (but we aren't really talking about those). They clearly felt their story / concept was a strong enough draw to the consumer that they didn't have to "go there" on certain topics or concepts.

People can agree or disagree with their decisions.

I have always enjoyed watching football and have always enjoyed Star Wars since I was a kid. That doesn't mean I feel like they need to combine both to cater to my interests. Both appeal to me on their own.

Personally, I think the romance "portion" of this game is pointless and silly. I don't feel that the addition of "flirt" options makes the game more appealing to more people. I don't think that's what people "buying" the game are hoping to get from it.

I can't help but look at the Star Wars franchise' history. Before Disney purchased it, there weren't any homosexual characters in movies, novels, games, etc... and the brand did very well. There also wasn't any strong language, sex scenes or graphic violence (but we aren't really talking about those). They clearly felt their story / concept was a strong enough draw to the consumer that they didn't have to "go there" on certain topics or concepts.

I have always enjoyed watching football and have always enjoyed Star Wars since I was a kid. That doesn't mean I feel like they need to combine both to cater to my interests. Both appeal to me on their own.

From your argument, that the brand did very well with out homosexuals such as myself in it, you'd be in favor of purging us from the game because the game would still do very well after we're gone.

Not a sentiment I agree with, so no thanks, I'm staying.

I mean, you can argue that, but I know many people who have subbed for long periods just to replay storylines and romance someone else. I have literally every single class done twice, once as a woman, once as a man, just so I can see the romances. The only classic ones I've never done are Kaliyo and Dark Jaesa.

Back when I was doing this, it was before the leveling changes, and I was spending like 3-4 weeks per character just to get to 50 and see the culmination of their story together. I probably was subbed for 10 months more than I would have been otherwise.

Now I keep coming back for a month or so every time a new classic romance is reintroduced to the expansions because I wanna see those reunions.

I also play for other (story) reasons, but it's a big draw to me personally. And I'm certain I'm not the only one.

As a lesbian IRL, I would have liked to have had the chance to have same-sex romances (and more of them nowadays). It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it would have been 'nice'. The fact that only Lana exists still for women is also slightly disappointing. But it's okay.

From your argument, that the brand did very well with out homosexuals such as myself in it, you'd be in favor of purging us from the game because the game would still do very well after we're gone.

Not a sentiment I agree with, so no thanks, I'm staying.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't know you and obviously don't know how old you are, but are you saying that there was nothing about the Star Wars story that brought you to this game in the first place? This game wasn't advertised as an MMOSSRRPG. It was just an MMORPG based on Star Wars.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't know you and obviously don't know how old you are, but are you saying that there was nothing about the Star Wars story that brought you to this game in the first place? This game wasn't advertised as an MMOSSRRPG. It was just an MMORPG based on Star Wars.

I'm 50.

What is the point of suggesting the fact that the game/franchise was fine before without homosexuals, if not to posit that it would be so again without them?

What you are 'buying' this game for is completely different from what most people are 'buying' it for. A game like this caters to so many different interests that it draws a LOT of different players. Of course the main appeal is the Star Wars franchise, but you've also got story, pvp, ops, crafting, strongholds, etc.

Personally, I'm a HUGE Bioware fan (as well as a Star Wars fan). Bioware has always made fantastic games with amazing stories and interesting characters. I don't play these games for the combat, I play them for the worlds that I can get lost in. And Bioware has a long history of being inclusive to the LGBT+ crowd and it works quite well for them! I could just as easily argue that the Star Wars franchise would have had an even bigger consumer base if they'd included LGBT+ characters.

The media has always catered to a straight, white crowd and it's only in recent years that we're seeing any kind of meaningful diversity. I don't understand how this could be viewed as a negative thing. It only adds more variety, more originality and it allows creators to shake up the usual formula and do something totally different!

It also adds representation for people who don't usually have any. A little caucasian boy has always had lots of heroes to look up to and say "That's what I'm going to be like some day!", but little black boy and girls, teenagers who are just discovering their identities and adults that are feeling let down by society don't really have many heroes to look up to. It's only with recent changing attitudes that they're finally starting to get these kinds of heroes and to me that seems like a great thing!

-

I mean, you can argue that, but I know many people who have subbed for long periods just to replay storylines and romance someone else. I have literally every single class done twice, once as a woman, once as a man, just so I can see the romances. The only classic ones I've never done are Kaliyo and Dark Jaesa.

Back when I was doing this, it was before the leveling changes, and I was spending like 3-4 weeks per character just to get to 50 and see the culmination of their story together. I probably was subbed for 10 months more than I would have been otherwise.

Now I keep coming back for a month or so every time a new classic romance is reintroduced to the expansions because I wanna see those reunions.

I also play for other (story) reasons, but it's a big draw to me personally. And I'm certain I'm not the only one.

As a lesbian IRL, I would have liked to have had the chance to have same-sex romances (and more of them nowadays). It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it would have been 'nice'. The fact that only Lana exists still for women is also slightly disappointing. But it's okay.

I recognize that SSR has an appeal to some players and the other romance as well. But out of curiosity, where on the list of importance do you put these things in this game:

• SSR
  • Flirt options / romance
  • New PvP content
  • New Ops
  • New planets / areas to explore
  • New playable species
  • Bug fixes
  • New FPs or end game solo content
  • More story continuation or class story continuation
  • Overall game performance / optimization
  • Strongholds / decorations
  • Armor /weapons / character look customization

Edited by BRKMSN

I recognize that SSR has an appeal to some players and the other romance as well. But out of curiosity, where on the list of importance do you put these things in this game:

• SSR
  • Flirt options / romance
  • New PvP content
  • New Ops
  • New planets / areas to explore
  • New playable species
  • Bug fixes
  • New FPs or end game solo content
  • More story continuation or class story continuation
  • Overall game performance / optimization
  • Strongholds / decorations
  • Armor /weapons / character look customization

And why would we need to make any such assignation of rank for those things for your benefit? So you can tell us how invalidly we ranked them?

I'm 50.

What is the point of suggesting the fact that the game/franchise was fine before without homosexuals, if not to posit that it would be so again without them?

I said what I said, not what you say I said. I said that Star Wars is fine. Are you not capable of enjoying a story if it doesn't have homosexual themes?

I said what I said, not what you say I said. I said that Star Wars is fine. Are you not capable of enjoying a story if it doesn't have homosexual themes?

I should be able to state to any gaming company about the population of its players it's not addressing by some aspect of the game they'd enjoy, and not have to worry about the likes of you working to invalidate that effort.

And, anytime any one says something like 'well this country was just fine before those so-and-so's showed up" pretty much tells everyone in hearing distance that they'd prefer those so-and-so's not to be there. Can you see that? That's how that earlier post of yours reads.

And why would we need to make any such assignation of rank for those things for your benefit? So you can tell us how invalidly we ranked them?

I can't tell you what's valid to you, but IMO, romance is very low on the list.