Why no Stealth for Snipers???

GalaxyStrong

Noob Question

Why don't Sniper's get Stealth. I would really love to have it for my sniper. Is it a balancing issue and if so could someone please explain why? I feel like im missing out on part of the Agent Experince without the stealth ability.

Thank you :)

Stealth is for classes that need to be as close to the enemy as possible to do damage (aka melee classes).

Stealth on a Sniper would make absolutely no sense. It wouldn't exactly be overpowered...it probably would be just stupid.

Stealth is for classes that need to be as close to the enemy as possible to do damage (aka melee classes).

Stealth on a Sniper would make absolutely no sense. It wouldn't exactly be overpowered...it probably would be just stupid.

RL Snipers and Hunters would like a word. :p Stealth is key for Snipers, in making sure the enemy or animal doesn't spot or hear them. But anyway this is a game OP, so there needs to be some balance here and there.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

As cool as it would be for story and lore aspects, in a game with a PVP environment it would be game-breaking.

At least in the game's current state. Some time in the future when everyone's abilities have evolved and grown it could happen to some degree.

As cool as it would be for story and lore aspects, in a game with a PVP environment it would be game-breaking.

At least in the game's current state. Some time in the future when everyone's abilities have evolved and grown it could happen to some degree.

oooohhhhhhhhhh, did not think about PVP.

Makes sense now.

I only PVE so, I didnt even think about that.

RL Snipers and Hunters would like a word. :p Stealth is key for Snipers, in making sure the enemy or animal doesn't spot or hear them. But anyway this is a game OP, so there needs to be some balance here and there.

There's stealth and there's camouflage.

Stealth might not exist IRL, but if it did, I doubt anyone would use it to stay 30meters away from the prey and not move as close to it as possible.

And as for hunters, yeah, they could use stealth...if they're hunting with knives! (thus making them the RL Operatives ;) )

Not all RL snipers use stealth. They use cover though in ways that mimic stealth and herein lies the dilemma.

I could see a cover/stealth option for snipers though this would be little more than a "I'm hiding" thing and would be bloody annoying in world PvP since I can just see all these snipers hanging out around quest objectives/turn in sites popping every Rep that walks up.

RL and game balance often find themselves at odds. This is one of them. If IA snipers were to get something like this I'd imagine the best way to do it would be to mask the agent as an area appropriate object that, if moused over, could be targeted. In this way a clever IA sniper could have his concealment but smart players would be able to realize that the rock in the middle of the road probably shouldn't be there.

Maybe we'll see something like this down the line, but right now as the ranged damage dealers it would severely overpower the class/spec.

I really really wish Sniper's and Gunslinger's had stealth incorporated into their cover mechanic. Stay in cover for 3 seconds and gain stealth. Moving or attacking would of course break stealth. That would make me so happy I can't even explain it. It's completely insane to me that a "Sniper" would not have even a rudimentary concealment trick like immobile stealth. It just doesn't make any sense.

I really really wish Sniper's and Gunslinger's had stealth incorporated into their cover mechanic. Stay in cover for 3 seconds and gain stealth. Moving or attacking would of course break stealth. That would make me so happy I can't even explain it. It's completely insane to me that a "Sniper" would not have even a rudimentary concealment trick like immobile stealth. It just doesn't make any sense.

This I could see happening, but definitely no stealth while moving. That would be *********** OP.

I just don't understand why they cant split abilities for pve and pvp...several games do so to great effect.

Its simple, allow the stealth mechanic to be available in PvE, and when you are flagged for PvP disable the skill, everybody wins.....

Sniper wins

This actually brought back a memory from SWG (yeah I said SWG) I was a Master Rifles/Master Squad Leader. I would go under cover (Stealth) and with 80m range, I would paint targets and snipe people. In fact a guildie of mine and I would go to the mining outpost. I would go under cover outside the MoP while he tagged himself as PvP with the AFK sign above his head. An Imp "ganker" would come in to try to seize the moment only to get his behind kicked FAST. He would seemingly kill 3-4 imps with remarkable ease.

That is until my cover was blown.

They would claim that he was a hacker. Until I /w them and said "You think he is doing that alone...LOL” Yeah I blew my own cover. Got a lot of laughs from both sides.

Good Times

Oh yeah he was a Jedi (Powers)

Someone mentioned that RL snipers use camouflage, and not stealth.

I would be in favor of something simple, such as turning off the red nameplate of enemy snipers / gunslingers when they are in cover, and briefly turning back on when they pop up to shoot at someone.

Noob Question

Why don't Sniper's get Stealth. I would really love to have it for my sniper. Is it a balancing issue and if so could someone please explain why? I feel like im missing out on part of the Agent Experince without the stealth ability.

Thank you :)

if we got stealth, then we would definetely loose the immunity to leaps and even probably immunity to interrupts. As i doubt than any sane designer would give us both. So no, i like my cover and its bonuses.