Reasonable Pricings... When Will It Happen?

cantoo

SWTOR is still new and prices are still fluctuating up and down, I realize this as I attempt to make a dime from my Artifice.

Today, I was astounded by a player who inquired about my artifact level color crystals (high end color crystals w/ +crit/end rating for 400 Artifice) and told me that my asking price was WAY too high... I was asking 20k. I spent, literally, days grinding out these recipes and was selling them for a fraction of the trade market price, let alone my own costs for creating them.

So my question is this, when will we start to see appropriate, or normalized trade market pricing? A week, month, or more? I'm getting sick of people trying to buy things off of me for nothing.

I've gotten a few artifact grade level 40 color crystals from Treasure Hunting. At 10k credits (on Zym) empire side, they fly off the shelf (I didn't want to go 20k for something that wasn't max level), so it may be very close right now.

There is a large start up cost that I wouldn't expect for you to gain back in a hurry. I would take all of the mats at their going rate and add 15% - 10% for profit for you and 5% for regaining a portion of your start up costs.

Not sure where that puts you price point wise, but I don't think many players are even going to consider how much it cost you to train your skills.

20k does seem steep though when I think about what I purchase. Right now I would probably only pay a max of 7.5k for your item. For some reason double digit creds seem like too high a price. Once I am sitting on a million or so credits with a daily intake of 500k then 20k for an item wouldn't seem like a lot.

SWTOR is still new and prices are still fluctuating up and down, I realize this as I attempt to make a dime from my Artifice.

Today, I was astounded by a player who inquired about my artifact level color crystals (high end color crystals w/ +crit/end rating for 400 Artifice) and told me that my asking price was WAY too high... I was asking 20k. I spent, literally, days grinding out these recipes and was selling them for a fraction of the trade market price, let alone my own costs for creating them.

So my question is this, when will we start to see appropriate, or normalized trade market pricing? A week, month, or more? I'm getting sick of people trying to buy things off of me for nothing.

20k for a high end crystal really isn't much in my opinion.

Was he trying to haggle you down? (Odd way to start the haggle, but I've seen worse.)

It's a capitalist in-game economy, if someone says my asking price is too high, I move on. If they really keep arguing, I will give them the list of mats and tell them to go buy them on the AH and I'll make the item for them. Generally the costs on the AH for the mats are close to what you are selling the item for. (They'll find that out eventually.)

Do not expect to make a profit with crafted goods in SWTOR right now.

After a game launch (or expansion release) the majority of players are leveling their characters and their crafting skills. This drives up the costs for materials (making leveling your crafting even more expensive), and drives down the value of the finished goods (since all the crafters are flooding the market with them). This is made worse by the fact that comparable/better gear can be bought from vendors, further decreasing demand for crafted goods. The fact the many players are complaining of being short on credits from just paying for new skills/training is likely further driving down demand.

For the crafting skills to become profitable, we really need:

-more players at max level doing endgame content (who will need consumables for raiding)

-new recipes/plans added in later content that is better than what the vendors sell

Crafting at this stage of the game's life cycle is really just a time/money-sink. Do it because you enjoy it, not to make money.

/2cents