Crewskills mobile app ?

yangushii

I was thinking this just the other day as well. Like to make the most of my companions time, I probably won't mind when the crew skills take longer than 10mins haha

Mind you it does bug me that I can queue craft jobs but not gathering and mission jobs =/

Wouldn't it be great to have an iOS / Android app to manage your crew while on the move?

Pretty sure this is already in development. The security key app is set up with a "select an application" header, meaning more options are coming. I'd be willing to bet that a crew skill app is among them.

Not willing to spend €40 or more a month on a mobile phone subscription. If I want to pay less I have to pay for the phone which is also not cheap. At the moment I pay about €7.50 a month for my mobile subscription.

You don't have to. There are plenty of SIMlock free, high quality and affordable (<100€) smart phones out there, if you don't insist on getting one of the newest generation. Low-cost subscriptions plus internet flatrate for mobile phones cost about 10-15€ a month where I live, depending on usage.

Don't let AT&T and T-Mobile scare you away from a piece of useful technology. ;)

You don't have to. There are plenty of SIMlock free, high quality and affordable (<100€) smart phones out there, if you don't insist on getting one of the newest generation. Low-cost subscriptions plus internet flatrate for mobile phones cost about 10-15€ a month where I live, depending on usage.

Don't let AT&T and T-Mobile scare you away from a piece of useful technology. ;)

I doubt they are really all that usefull. I have a sneaky suspision that they are popular because the marketing people say you need one and not because they are really all that usefull. But that is an other discussion.

But try and convince me that a smartphone would be usefull. To be honest I would like one. No apple ofcourse but a Samsung or HTC. But the price is stopping me. My heart says buy one, everyone has one and so you need one as well. But my mind says why would I need one. I never have used by phone for anything but for calling and texting people. I have never ever even used the camera that is on my phone.

I doubt they are really all that usefull. I have a sneaky suspision that they are popular because the marketing people say you need one and not because they are really all that usefull. But that is an other discussion.

But try and convince me that a smartphone would be usefull. To be honest I would like one. No apple ofcourse but a Samsung or HTC. But the price is stopping me. My heart says buy one, everyone has one and so you need one as well. But my mind says why would I need one. I never have used by phone for anything but for calling and texting people. I have never ever even used the camera that is on my phone.

The experience of getting your first smartphone is comparable to the first mobile phone you got. Before you have one, you think, "I don't need that." Before everybody had a mobile, they said, "well I have my landline that can do everything a mobile can do so why do I need that?" Then they got a mobile and the freedom to be able to call anybody from almost anywhere was a luxury that people really liked. Kind of like now with a smartphone, people say, "well everything I can do on a smartphone can be covered by either my cell phone (calls, texts) or my computer (email, games, etc.). A smartphone is another type of those luxuries that once you experience the freedom of the mobility it gives you (not always having to be around your computer to have access to email, game apps, other useful apps for facebook, twitter, etc.), you will start to question how you got along without it. That is my best attempt at convincing you - that you basically just don't understand what you are missing, just like before you got your first mobile phone you didn't realize what you were missing then either. So, if you get one be prepared to never turn back, just like you can never give up your mobile phone now. There is a reason that Blackberry's, the first widely used smartphone, was nicknamed "Crackberry". Just don't get a Blackberry, they are going out of business soon unless they change their corporate structure quickly.

Edited by HogtownDaddy

I like the idea but you should also be able to do crew skills from swtor.com which would be handy though to make up for not being in game mite be worth making the mission last longer to not give a big advantage to thoese who have more time on the net

It's a nice idea, but I bet most people who play this game don't have an iPhone or an Android so it would put them at a serious disadvantage.

Based on the computer requirements for this game to be playable, I would believe the exact opposite to be true. It's like driving a Maserati to go clothes shopping at Walmart.

Based on the computer requirements for this game to be playable, I would believe the exact opposite to be true. It's like driving a Maserati to go clothes shopping at Walmart.

At first glance I would tend to agree with you. Smart phones are currently around 30% of the mobile phone market and a huge chunk of that includes basically two groups - techies and people that have them for work. Not sure what the dynamic is there, but I would assume most (50-60%ish) people have them for work. Now part of that group would also fall under the techie title too. Gamers for the most part are considered techies, especially gamers that play on PC's. If I had to throw a percentage out there of MMO players that had smartphones I would probably land between 60-70% and think that is a conservative guess.

One thing that really influences my guess is that WoW had a subscription based app that they wouldn't have produced if they didn't think they would make money with. So surely they had to assume that enough people would use it and subscribe to it to make it worth their while to create it. My 2 cents though.

At first glance I would tend to agree with you. Smart phones are currently around 30% of the mobile phone market and a huge chunk of that includes basically two groups - techies and people that have them for work. Not sure what the dynamic is there, but I would assume most (50-60%ish) people have them for work. Now part of that group would also fall under the techie title too. Gamers for the most part are considered techies, especially gamers that play on PC's. If I had to throw a percentage out there of MMO players that had smartphones I would probably land between 60-70% and think that is a conservative guess.

One thing that really influences my guess is that WoW had a subscription based app that they wouldn't have produced if they didn't think they would make money with. So surely they had to assume that enough people would use it and subscribe to it to make it worth their while to create it. My 2 cents though.

I think it will be about 40% of the gamers that have a smartphone.

I think it will be about 40% of the gamers that have a smartphone.

There is not a single person in my guild without a smartphone. 20+ people...

On topic, I think it's a good idea.

Edited by Srolo

• 1 year later...
bump having 6 toons i craft with is getting annoying the loading screens are killing me this app needs to come so i can actually play the game instead of doing crewskills for hours

I have 12 which 10 are constantly on crew skills (well, while I'm playing, lunch breaks etc.). log off on a ship to make it faster.

but yeah, app would be nice.

not to mention, nice necro ;)

Edited by Atramar

Ok, I got a smart phone because I moved to a city that has NO urban radio stations. I drive for a living, & my older white passengers probably would get offended if I started playing my Yo Gotti, Mr Sche, UGK, or Ace Hood cd's. & since my only options on the radio here are country, pop, or Top 40 frm the 80's, iheart & slacker radio have become my best friends. I've got tmobile with unlimited everything (last month I used almost 17gigs of data) & it cost me about $63mo. 99.8% of the time when I post on this site I'm using my phone. My phone is also my GPS system. Living in a new city the turn by turn w/voice GPS on my phone has kept me from gettin lost, & saved me from buying a stand alone GPS system. I love my LG optimus L9

Edited by ImmortalLowlife
adding more