Who cares about 'play-style' if the ping and the overall service sucks?

oscarlol

Dear Bioware,

I am finding it increasingly difficult to believe that 'play-style' was one of your primary reasons for not merging all of the Oceanic servers in to one cluster as per the statement below:

1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter if i'm killing mobs, or other players - if my quality of response in my input time sucks and my frame rate is dropping due to server lag in highly populated areas then i'm not going to enjoy any mode of play in this game.

Your second reason on top of this is even more baffling:

Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style.

Maybe so, but i'm pretty sure here on Dalborra most of us are very into PvP and or the occasional chat fun with our mates regardless of the environment. You guys are dictating that because the server was intended for these purposes, this then justifies the move - but if you were even moderately in touch with the communities , or even talked to real people you would see that isn't what any of the servers are used for.

On top of all of this, you actually must think we're complete idiots and that we buy 'blanket statements' that only large companies can spin, I know this too well having consulted for many large organisations over the years:

2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

Please really? Do you think the countless numbers who literally unsubscribed from their favorite MMOs just to come and play on a low-ping, oceanic service give any craps about your 'ultimate goal' ? We play, we have fun, we enjoy. That's the common mindset, and I am pretty sure if i canvassed the general server population in any means as to whether they were aware of what your ultimate goal is, then I think they wouldn't have the faintest.

You're not winning any loyalty in this,and you've missed a golden opportunity to extend the popularity in Oceanic regions. You've also forgotten how communities naturally grow - by having fun, and friends telling other friends. That concept transcends any of Bioware's 'Ultimate Goals' or 'intended playstyles'.

Dalborra is by no means the largest realm, but we are a tigh-knit community who love the game and the current services provided. Don't tell us rubbish results from your so called polls, go visit general chat on the fleets and look at how annoyed people are about this.

You've made a mistake Bioware and that'll show by me and other people unsubscribing soon enough, irrespective of your expansion.

Just have the balls to say you're cutting costs Bioware, Australia's average education rate per capita is one of the highest in the world, we aren't idiots - at least give us real reasons instead of this rubbish spin. If you really gave a crap about our play experience you would just merge our servers together.

Edited by oscarlol

Well you can blame MDN and GD for this crap.

Unfair to blame MDN: I can't imagine the majority of players there ever expected the "solution" would be to simply stick it to the APAC playerbase.

The GD on the other hand... well, they're screwed themselves anyway by forfeiting most of their character names. Oh karma.

Really, though, we can blame EA's adherence to the bottom line over consumer loyalty and goodwill.

Unfair to blame MDN: I can't imagine the majority of players there ever expected the "solution" would be to simply stick it to the APAC playerbase.

The GD on the other hand... well, they're screwed themselves anyway by forfeiting most of their character names. Oh karma.

Really, though, we can blame EA's adherence to the bottom line over consumer loyalty and goodwill.

Yea that was a bit harsh on MDN, I'll change it.

Its definitely not on MDN for this **** up. Anyone who plays enough on the server wants a merge. This game doesn't even do open world pvp properly, so the difference between pvp and pve is so miniscule that noone would even notice a thing if all pvp servers were all just changed to a pve server one day.

This is just excuses coming out of bioware/EA's arse and the can go **** themselves because of it.

Edited by iSythe

On MDN we get 1 maybe 2 warzones going at a time each night. Nothing until about 1pm. Believe me, we wanted the merge.

In regards to play style, I rolled on a pvp server to do PvE content. (Omg ***!?) only because I figured having world pvp while I leveled seemed like a good idea but like most of us have said, world pvp is dead.

Edited by Pexalottle

APAC merge would have been lovely but I don't mind this either correct me if im wrong but I think most of the people crying about this didn't play before March last year lol. Edited by Dafydil

APAC merge would have been lovely but I don't mind this either correct me if im wrong but I think most of the people crying about this didn't play before March last year lol.

Shall I display my "Founder" title?

I've been playing since BEFORE launch, as have two of my friends who are ALSO unsubbing over having to go back to uncompetititve, high-lag situations.

High latency kills the gameplay, and this is only going to be more true for a game that is so focused on the immersion and roleplay experience within a character.

If you guys want to complain about latency, I challenge you to go roll a toon on Harbinger and play for an hour, you'll notice that your latency sits at around 120-140, and if you notice any difference, then kudos to you, because I haven't noticed anything even mildly game disrupting.

If you have/do, and you still have problems, then yeah, feel free to complain, however, I'm in a ruralish area of Queensland, in Australia, and I am having absolutely no issues at all on the toon I rolled to test the server out.

While I do, DEFINITELY agree, that they should scrap this whole merge, and just merge the three APAC servers instead, I'm going to be one of the Dalborran players who shelves my complaining and continues to enjoy the game.

Call me an idiot, call me blind, call me whatever the hell you want, all I'm saying is, try it out before you just psyche out and rage-quit over an issue this small.

If you guys want to complain about latency, I challenge you to go roll a toon on Harbinger and play for an hour, you'll notice that your latency sits at around 120-140, and if you notice any difference, then kudos to you, because I haven't noticed anything even mildly game disrupting.

Call me an idiot, call me blind, call me whatever the hell you want, all I'm saying is, try it out before you just psyche out and rage-quit over an issue this small.

I have another toon at 35 on a USWEST realm - the experience is less than ideal.

Edited by oscarlol

I'm in Brisbane and I've been on Harbinger from pre-release.

Seriously the ping is a non issue, it's not that bad, i find it less laggy than wow.

So welcome to our community fellow southern hemisphereians (Not a real word, but I'm making it one :D )

Wrong, not everyone latency will be that amazing low. Mine was at 168ms+

If you have/do, and you still have problems, then yeah, feel free to complain, however, I'm in a ruralish area of Queensland, in Australia, and I am having absolutely no issues at all on the toon I rolled to test the server out.

While I do, DEFINITELY agree, that they should scrap this whole merge, and just merge the three APAC servers instead, I'm going to be one of the Dalborran players who shelves my complaining and continues to enjoy the game.

Well i'm glad you decided to become a sheep, just let them take away our server for no reason

Call me an idiot, call me blind, call me whatever the hell you want, all I'm saying is, try it out before you just psyche out and rage-quit over an issue this small. You mean logic-quit, no-one should have to pay for an inferior server quality

Also played this game from launch on an american server, so I know what the lag is like....

Seriously the ping is a non issue, it's not that bad, i find it less laggy than wow.

So welcome to our community fellow southern hemisphereians (Not a real word, but I'm making it one :D )

:) good thing you never tried out what it would be like with low ping :) Wouldn't have been laggy or an issue to begin with :)

Just before anyone jumps down my throat as well, I'm not saying that I support this merge, and I'm also not saying that I support how the CS has dealt with the issue. Ideally, I would LOVE a Super APAC Server. I'm just saying, that the situation is way more manageable than most people seem to believe.

Finally someone with a brain about this entire issue im on the gold coast and have no issues with the harbinger

aV

If I can manage to consistently sit on 120-140ms, on my crappy ADSL2+ in the middle of nowhere while my brother is streaming things non-stop on Youtube, then I apologise for having some sort of magical wizardly internet... I just assumed people closer to an Exchange point, who don't have a constant percentage of their speed being pulled away might possibly be able to sit at around the same latency.

I'm hardly being a 'sheep' by wanting a Super APAC Server, yet being willing to accept that whatever happens, happens... At the end of the day, I pay to play the game, and I enjoy this game enough that it honestly doesn't stress me if I have to sacrifice a slight amount of Latency in order to not have to wait two hours for a Flashpoint...

Again, I completely and whole-heartedly support a Super APAC Server, it would be freaking fantastic, and hopefully, by enough of us protesting, we might be able to make that dream a reality. However, I for one, am not simply going to up and quit just because something didn't go my way. Hell, if I quit every time something happened that I didn't like, I'd probably be the worlds first intentional Kindergarten Dropout...

:) good thing you never tried out what it would be like with low ping :) Wouldn't have been laggy or an issue to begin with :)

Actually I did make a few characters on Dalborra and have seen no difference in the play.

The only difference in lag i saw was half a second difference in looting, WZ's and Ops there was not a single lagg issue I could find

Actually I did make a few characters on Dalborra and have seen no difference in the play.

The only difference in lag i saw was half a second difference in looting, WZ's and Ops there was not a single lagg issue I could find

what is ping around brisbane 70-90? then harbingers is 180?

>say's no difference

>quite obvious difference.

170 on Harbinger, 35 to 50 on Dalborra

And as I stated, no the only lagg I've gotten is faster looting , same lag in WZ's and have never had a lag issue in ops. Well the only lagg issues in Ops are the same ones my US friends get, from crappy server issues.

But the big test was always WZ's as I can see slight lag in them , but the exact same lag was happening in Dalborra WZ's

Edit- PS I know people would want to just claim that I'm fanboi'ing here, but I'm giving you a truthful experience evaluation

Edited by Vicstorm

Latency is the most important thing when you're playing online so it is NOT SMALL ISSUE. Not all have the same amount of ping that you have, and with that kind of ping you can tell theres a slight delay, this is intolerable for hardcore player.

if you didnt notice anything then maybe you're just a casual player who doesnt pvp that much.

I PvP very regularly, and whilst I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore PvP enthusiast (you won't ever catch me licking boots to try and get into a PvP guild), I definitely get competitive, and the Latency issues between the two servers is still almost non-existent.

After PvPing on BOTH servers (extensively on Dalborra, minimally on Harbinger), I've only noticed an almost infinitesimal difference in my performance.

I'm not trying to claim that everyone has the same connection (I've got a terrible connection, so I guess that's why I thought most other people would be at, or similar to my latency), all I'm saying is, so far, the difference in performance in MY experience has been negligible.

Obviously I'm some sort of insane wizard or something.

I've unsubdued, yet still have some time available, so will most likely get to see these changes of which they speak.

I 've said it from the start to all my friends who came over from WoW then went back.....if they created a cross server queuing system, there would be no issues with low population servers, as ppl would have faster queue times for WZs and FPs. They could even incorporate it into grp finder.... which they should have done as it was supposed to be a fix for PVE queuing.....:rolleyes:

After everything that has happened to Dalbora server users (glitches galore, a PVP system that was bugged for weeks; said was fixed only to glitch and be shut down again) I can't believe how they have tried to solve their lack of income and the exodus of many players.

I am seeing a regular pattern here.... They lose players and subs, then they bring something in to make money off the remaining players to make up for the revenue loss (cartel market), then they close APAC servers to save money because they couldn't be bothered spending money to create a cross server queuing system, then they expect ppl to pay for higher ping, only to see more ppl leave.....

This game is dying due to poor management and it's obvious they are doing all they can to get as much money out of the people who have stuck around, to cover the amount of money that was spent making it.

Edited by TERRA-AUSTRALIS