Wealth

JadenFlamearrow

There are the rich people in SWTOR and the poor people in SWTOR. I don't think I'm rich compared to most subs who are level 70. Personally, I have 26.9m in my legacy bank. Why am I saying this? All the "poor" people in SWTOR may be jealous of our wealth. I'm not trying to brag. The point of this post is, is that when you have money to buy the expensive stuff and the stuff you wanted but didn't have the fund for, your view of what you want/need changes dramatically. Trust me, I used to spend so many credits that 400k was a lot for me. You start to give your purchases second thoughts, think if you really need it. That stuff you wanted when you couldn't afford it? You realize you don't need it or want it. Or maybe you do, I don't know. This is just how my personalities of wealthy and poor are. Everyone's is different though. I don't even make my money through crafting, I use the laziest way. I wait for my monthly coins and buy packs and sell what I get from those.

There are the rich people in SWTOR and the poor people in SWTOR. I don't think I'm rich compared to most subs who are level 70. Personally, I have 26.9m in my legacy bank. Why am I saying this? All the "poor" people in SWTOR may be jealous of our wealth. I'm not trying to brag. The point of this post is, is that when you have money to buy the expensive stuff and the stuff you wanted but didn't have the fund for, your view of what you want/need changes dramatically. Trust me, I used to spend so many credits that 400k was a lot for me. You start to give your purchases second thoughts, think if you really need it. That stuff you wanted when you couldn't afford it? You realize you don't need it or want it. Or maybe you do, I don't know. This is just how my personalities of wealthy and poor are. Everyone's is different though. I don't even make my money through crafting, I use the laziest way. I wait for my monthly coins and buy packs and sell what I get from those.

I'm up to about 130 million. I made it from low lvl crafting and selling CM item's bought with monthly grant CC's. I've already gotten most of the items I wanted in game tho, so where I would previously spend millions on armor set's, mounts, weapons and toys. Lately I've just been stacking credits.

I think I'm gonna buy a flagship for my dead "guild" that inherited, since I've always wanted one I could decorate myself. :D

But even I'm considered poor to some of the in game billionaires.

Wealth inside an MMO is relative... relative to what you spend and hence what you need to earn. And generally, you want to earn your wealth efficiently...... and avoid mindless grinding if possible.. because let's face it.. any grind gets tedious and boring at some point. In addition, some people have high spending needs/wants, and some are very modest in what they spend.. so everything is relative to the player really in an MMO.

The key to wealth inside any MMO:

1) Recognize that MMOs are typically more persistent in terms of long term play and commitment by a player and have active player driven economies in them that process a wide range of items, materials, and other resource type items.

2) Figure out what your ongoing average costs are going to be (which depends on a lot of personal factors in terms of wants/needs). AND... account for the fact that money supplies inside MMOs generally increase over time.. and with more supply.... more willingness to spend and as such prices tend to move up over time. But since it is all relative... if you have a plan and work the plan it really does not matter. Different people have different spending needs, so the plan has to be tailored to your expectations

3) create a personal wealth accumulation plan that exceeds your planned spending needs.

4) work the plan, stick to the plan.

5) since all things change over time inside an MMO.. you will need to re-evaluate 2, 3, and 4 above periodically and adjust as required to keep your wealth accumulation > your spending... for the period of time that you actively play the game.

Note: one critical malfunction for many players is they take time off from the game, come back a year or years later and expect to find the economy, the credit supply, and prices to have not changed.. which is a ludicrous assumption/desire. I left a half a million gold behind in WoW 8 years ago and I know that if I went back today, it would be chump change compared to where I was in relative wealth when I left. This is the nature of MMOs.

I have worked the above principles since the first year of launch. I had my first million credits way back when a million credits was a lot in this game, and RMTs were selling a million credits for roughly $50 I think it was. Today, on any given week, I have between 4 and 6 billion credits on hand and roughly a billion in inventory stored for future sale. I work my plan and earn at the rate of between 10 and 20M credits per day for about 20 minutes of my time each day collecting sales proceeds, and listing additional items. In other words.. it is high leverage use of my time.. since the GTN sales cycles work 7/24 and I don't have to be in game to make credits. I buy up lots of CM content as it is released and becomes available on the GTNs for personal use, as well as for later resale. My plan works well for me because it completely inoculates me from any changes in game and also allows me the freedom to contribute to my guild as well as contribute to and/or help other players that I know and respect. But for other people.. you may very well only require a smaller and more simple plan. The key being... figure out your expected expenses over time and put together a plan that creates more wealth then you plan to spend... and work the plan. Not rocket science.. but it does require some focus and discipline. As long as you earn more then you spend, have a plan to continue to earn income in a leveraged manner, you will always be wealthy.... just like in real life.

Edited by Andryah

Lol, I would love to have 130m. I just don't have the time or patience. One time I got a saber that I waited for weeks for the price to go up, I gave up and sold it for 54m, my highest even balance to date. 2 weeks later it was going for 99m.

I'm not gonna front, I'm "new rich". I've been a sub since a few months after launch, and I JUST got over about 30mil within the last few months. :D I couldn't get any higher because there was always something I was saving credits for. It's just that now I've gotten pretty much everything I wanted so I've been stacking instead of saving. Point is, give it time..... curb the instincts of "instant gratification". And find your niche. Crafting for instance... while the lvl 70 stuff has million credit price tags, if you're not doing a lot of endgame stuff like ranked PvP or OP's the mats are expensive. But low lvl armor mods are still in demand, and will sell and make a decent profit that over time adds up. Even just selling stacks of gathered mats will earn credits. Watch for CM sales, predict what will be in demand. (For instance..... decorations when they release a new stronghold ;) )

And sometimes you gotta hold items when the market is flooded with them. If you got an item you think is worth a lot, but there's 10 pages of em at a lower price on the GTN. Stick it in your legacy cargo hold and wait a few weeks/months for the supply to die down.

You'll get there eventually. :D

I've got about 51 million. Some of that came from buying CM items and selling it, some from selling mats, some from buying and reselling armor shells, and a large portion from selling a few specialty items I stumbled across in a dead guild's bank.

I mainly buy server character slots.

Got some reality for you folks.... I'm up to about 400 million (6 years now).... across 2 servers if I sold everything in inventory (250m cash), and we're poor. The rich are laughing at this thread. Just saying. :o

I'm well aware. I knew a guy that was making at least 30mil a day and have 2bil stored up and knew a guy who hit the cap on one character. He wasn't very nice.

Edited by JadenFlamearrow

Got some reality for you folks.... I'm up to about 400 million (6 years now).... across 2 servers if I sold everything in inventory (250m cash), and we're poor. The rich are laughing at this thread. Just saying. :o

Not being the richest isn't the same thing as being poor. The guy who has 400m isn't in the same category as the newbie who has 300 credits...

He's/She's right. I added up everything I made and spent in this game in the last year. It came to over 2 billion (damn you strongholds) and I still have *250+ hundred million across 3 servers. There are indeed Times Rich List/Forbes Rich List level players in this game who point and laugh at my level of in-game "wealth". Yet in real life I barely have a pot to piss in! :D

EDIT: *stupid fat fingers typo on the original! I wish I did still have 2250+ hundred million :D

Edited by Sarova

30 million may pale in comparison to what the some of the richest players have in their legacy holds, but it still counts as "rich" in game, just as a person in real life who is worth $5,000,000 is rich, even if that is only a small fraction of Elon Musk's net worth.

The great majority of players in this game have far less than 30 million on hand.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Well, several billions in credits here and more billions in items to sell, definitely at a point where more credit accumulation becomes absolutely senseless and a self-purpose, actually beyond that point long ago lol.

But you just can't avoid making these amounts of credits imho. BTW, not one credit is a result of buying CM items for real money and selling them in the GTN.

Edited by Khaleg

Lol, I would love to have 130m. I just don't have the time or patience. One time I got a saber that I waited for weeks for the price to go up, I gave up and sold it for 54m, my highest even balance to date. 2 weeks later it was going for 99m.

After 2 weeks of ranked PVP I have crafted and sold 240 augments for over 150 million in 1 day. What did I have to do for this? Run the last Flashpoint in Solo mode to get schematics, have crafters at rank 600 and companions at rank 50. I mean craft levels increase by crafting, nothing hard there and there are many simple ways to get comp rank up in a few minutes. I was lazy so I have bought the crafting mats for the Bondings and also for the augments and wasted around 5 mil for all of that.

So in the end, it really wasn't hard to make those 150 mil. Its something anyone can do.

Well, several billions in credits here and more billions in items to sell, definitely at a point where more credit accumulation becomes absolutely senseless and a self-purpose, actually beyond that point long ago lol.

But you just can't avoid making these amounts of credits imho. BTW, not one credit is a result of buying CM items for real money and selling them in the GTN.

Yeah... pretty much the same for me as well.

Once you exceed 1B credits.. you are pretty well set for a loooooonnng time, even if you take a break for the game. At the same time.. for people like Khaleg and myself.. who have developed a fast and efficient way to earn credits while spending a small fraction of total play time, it becomes just a small part of daily routine in game... so I continue to do so.

From a certain perspective, major market players do an overall service for the economy for several reasons:

1) They absorb credits out of circulation and hold them... hence reducing overall credits in active circulation. And when/if they leave the game later on... those credits sit in their legacy, out of circulation.

2) Market players are generally soaking up a lot of over supply in the market... particularly more common yet still desirable items like silver or bronze items or sets. This in many ways stabilizes pricing in the market, both short term and long term. Short term, they keep prices off of default dumping prices floor which assists sellers overall. Long term, they list items held for some time at competitive market prices and that helps keep supply available and prices down for buyers. I routinely undercut list prices by 20-30% and still make good profit for myself because I purchased most of my inventory at very low dumping prices and held them for some number of months until supplies dry up and price scalpers enter the market. Of course some market players are use scalper pricing, but I don't and so I freeze them out of the market for a good amount of time, or they lower prices to compete.

3) Market players even have a stabilizing effect on many super rare items as well. How? Because they will bargin shop early on for listings by impatient sellers, and will resell later and undercut the price scalpers who are trying to exploit a lack of supply. I don't play the super rare end of the market much, but when I do, I undercut the price scalpers significantly as I will know fair market from scalper prices for items I trade in. I recognize that my practice could impact the player who is simply buying CM items to quickly convert to credits... so I generally steer clear of the most popular items used for this purpose.

4) Market players generally are quite wealthy and as such are able to pass credits or items to guild mates, friends, or simply people they meet in game that they like and trust. I personally like to "pay it forward" and help subsidize guild efforts, like our crafting production lines, as well as giving valuable items away to players in game that they will actually use ... particularly when I see a player doing positive things for others in game to assist or help with something, as well as some players on the forum doing the same.

Edited by Andryah

In the last year and a few months now I've spent in the neighborhood of 3.5B on myself and others. I think something that is somewhat overlooked at times is that those of us who do sit on huge reserves are often bored senseless because there's nothing really fresh TO buy unless reskins are your thing. The few armors I wanted, the few mounts I wanted, etc.--I have all those. There's nothing to work toward, save up and feel that sense of accomplishment that you attained it. Not anymore. At the same time I don't see the sense in hoarding huge amounts anymore, at least not to the same degree. I don't think this game is going to outlast the reserves a lot of the billionaires are just sitting on for no reason.

Just my two cents, for what they're worth.

Not being the richest isn't the same thing as being poor. The guy who has 400m isn't in the same category as the newbie who has 300 credits...

What I would do for 300 credits.. /s

It's better when you forget what someone else's pockets look like for sure. I knew 2 billionaires on Ebon Hawk and they were the most penny-pinching-est obots I've ever met in an MMO. They were on everyday from when I logged on to logging off. 1 hit the cap and played on another account to keep pushing, for what, I'll never know.

What I would do for 300 credits.. /s

It's better when you forget what someone else's pockets look like for sure. I knew 2 billionaires on Ebon Hawk and they were the most penny-pinching-est obots I've ever met in an MMO. They were on everyday from when I logged on to logging off. 1 hit the cap and played on another account to keep pushing, for what, I'll never know.

Yeah I don't understand just hoarding money for no reason in a game. In real life it makes sense because you could fall on hard times or maybe want to start a business later or something like that but if you're not spending those credits in game then what's the point? I've had periods of randomly hoarding credits like a dragon on a treasure pile and would see outfits or decorations I liked and not buy them because ??? but eventually I was like *** is the point in having this if I'm not enjoying it so now I buy whatever I want. My characters have a wide range of fashionable outfits, mounts, weapons, etc...and my 5 existing strongholds are completely decked out (still working on the newest 6th one on Rishi).

I don't think I'm rich compared to most subs who are level 70. Personally, I have 26.9m in my legacy bank.

Very well done. Hidden bragging, even masked by one "I don't try to brag" thing.

Humility appears to be considered some kind of serious brain illness these days.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Very well done. Hidden bragging, even masked by one "I don't try to brag" thing.

Humility appears to be considered some kind of serious brain illness these days.

That wasn't a brag, hipster. He just said he doesn't think he's rich and gave a number to support his thesis. And he's right - he's not.