Why do level 55 players run level 50 FPs?

I do level 50 HM fp's with my 55 for fun and getting a stock up of comms and social point's.If it really bugs peeps then get BW to scale players down to 50,as it has been said on many posts it's a bad game design.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do level 50 HM fp's with my 55 for fun and getting a stock up of comms and social point's.If it really bugs peeps then get BW to scale players down to 50,as it has been said on many posts it's a bad game design.
Like a reverse bolster?

That would be awesome. Having more people in my queues is always welcome, I have nothing against the actual players. And it's actually kind of cool that the content is still appealing at max level. But, the FP feeling roughly as challenging as a green-level solo mission on Coruscant is less awesome when you're the useless puppy following the 55s around. :(

It was amusing for a couple runs, but then it just became... really boring, because nothing I do matters. I guess it's a good opportunity to watch a movie and keep the forward arrow key held down.

Edited by SW_display_name

Pretty sure I donn't have to ask for an authorization to do whatever content i want to do, for whatever reason and for whatever rewards any given flashpoints yields.

Acutally, as a 55 doing normal HMs, i tend to pass on gear, so if someone slightly lower in group is of my same class, he/she can get the gear... so what's the " evil " part in all of this? D:

But it's boring. It's like I'm not even there. It may be faster "XP / hour" I guess — you may have a point, I don't have actual comparison data — but then so would using a bot program to grind mobs while I sleep. But that's not fun and I'm not playing the game, so I don't consider that a viable method.

I understand now that you have fair reasons to be there, so I don't wish for BioWare to block you out or anything. I just wish they could somehow... I don't know... let 55s in without making the content and lowbies feel trivial. :(

Lol, you are not trivial.

If you get in a group with 3 55s, I mean, maybe? But if you're the healer or the tank then you rock and thanks for queuing. Never enough of those. Also DPS is nice. I especially like it when the other DPS with me in 50 HM FPs gets gear while I get to stretch my legs a little and warm up for later night ops or whatever. Also it's cool that we get to help pre-55s get gear and have a little fun. Especially newbies who maybe haven't done the content and don't have any gear to carry them through it. Sure it might be annoying after seeing a few 55s come in and effortlessly crush the content, but it's also exciting and new for some people, and having that helping hand to move you along is nice when you aren't 55 and have no gear.

(For the "Gotta be efficient!!" types I don't know what to say. Enjoy the game more, maybe?)

Currently I'm to preoccupied with gearing at lvl55 to think about lvl50 flashpoint achievements but I do plan to get them eventually. Given that you need to do each flashpoint 25 times in hard mode, there's just not enough room between 50 and 55 to get them, hence you need to keep queueing even at lvl55. And don't forget gear either. Most of the 55s now were 50s before 2.0 and had endgame 50 gear but new 55s don't.

If I do every quest on every planet plus the flashpoint/PvP daily every day, I'm usually lvl50 in the first area of Belsavis. Now, I guess people will be able to hit 55 on Voss. Gear from lvl50 flashpoints is much better than Voss leveling greens.

All possible reasons I can think about:

- just to run FP, for fun, and doesn't uncheck those options

- to get daily reward from finder/quest for lvl50

- for gear. Just because someone dinged 55 doesn't mean he's already in full 55 gear. That would be especially true for ops and people that didn't ding 50 pre-2.0.

- for achievements

- for healers and tanks, to learn on "easy mode", where their mistakes won't always cause wipe.

- to help pre-55 friend

- it's a big world. I'm sure there might be one or two guys doing it just to annoy 'lowbies'

^ This.

Dailies to gear comps that you've neglected is another reason too. :p

Yeah I was thinking of lvl 50 ops.. my bad

They can still do the ops as well, they just can't queue up for them thru group finder.

As for why I do L50 FPs it's because of the dailys. While a couple of my 55's are fairly well geared, the basic comms can stil be used to buy gear for alts and sent thru legacy gear.

i never had problems and even now that i have a couple of toons at 55, i ask if they need exp and run bonus or whatever they want.

when i was the ''useless'' 50 i was always the healer or the tank so i still had the lead in pulls or felt useful by keeping guys alive.

maybe you don't see your heal filling the 55 tank 's health bar but i asked to do bonus and no one ever left the instance or had something to say..

i could also say that 55s running 50hm are a good playerbase.

mobs exp is small if you think to the weekly or daily exp.

and i like to have companions well geared.

Pretty sure I donn't have to ask for an authorization to do whatever content i want to do, for whatever reason and for whatever rewards any given flashpoints yields.

Acutally, as a 55 doing normal HMs, i tend to pass on gear, so if someone slightly lower in group is of my same class, he/she can get the gear... so what's the " evil " part in all of this? D:

I Agree fully I pay for my right to play the game how I want to as long as I follow the game rules and right now there is no rule that says I can't run 50 HM FP at 55 if I want to, in fact I think BW wants us to, so other see what 55 is like so they SUB , spend more money etc ...

i never had problems and even now that i have a couple of toons at 55, i ask if they need exp and run bonus or whatever they want.

when i was the ''useless'' 50 i was always the healer or the tank so i still had the lead in pulls or felt useful by keeping guys alive.

maybe you don't see your heal filling the 55 tank 's health bar but i asked to do bonus and no one ever left the instance or had something to say..

i could also say that 55s running 50hm are a good playerbase.

mobs exp is small if you think to the weekly or daily exp.

and i like to have companions well geared.

most don't and when I run a 50 HMFP on my 55 I even do the bonus boss if they want it , I can move thu it fast, so doing bonus boss is like runin it at 50 on a speed run, and I really don't mind seeing 50's get that gear .

Commendations through group finder.

That's it. I'd much rather do a HM FP through GF than do dailies, it's more productive, (and more fun).

I understand your frustration though, I tend to ask at the start about skipping content, it's annoying when only one is skipping, or only one wants the whole FP done. I'm easy both ways, but I ask first, then take it from there. If we can't agreee, kick whoever needs kicked, and requeue.

Usually people are OK with a nice gentlemanly chat over a cup of tea, a sry, np, have fun, cya later.

I do this because of achievements, gear (won't pug for 55 fps without appropriate gear - after joining a guild, this doesn't matter anymore) and to learn how to play my role. On some characters I hardly ran FPs pre level 50, so I'm lacking experience in healing (and previously tanking).

Pretty much as everyone mentioned, the 15 basic coms on first run. Fastest way to get them.

We do this with the guild. Some of the new lvl 53 implants are really good and you need the comms to buy the purple mat. If a "lowbie" 50-54 wants to join for a really easy and fast run, all the better. I think thte daily alone gives 50k xp points.

To summarize: Level 55 Players queue for lvl 50 Flashpoints because:

1- Achievement grinds. (i.e. check out the requirements to get the "Meatbag" title...)

2- Gearing. The HM 50 FPs reward Basic Coms, which can be used to buy purple 66 gear, and BiS schematics for Implants, and to buy Isotope-5's for crafting.

3- Necessity: Especially if you are a DPS, waiting in the queue for 55 FPs, or SM TfB/S&V can be brutal, so opening up the option to 50 FPs can help pass the time and still get at least some benefit because of the Basic coms.

It still makes NO sense why level 55's can't queue for at LEAST HM EV/KP (HM EC is questionable... the mechanics in HM EC are still a bit challenging to a lot of players and I even today do not like pugging it, because people don't know how to deal with F/S Incinerate Armor, or you have DPS that don't interrupt Overload on the Probe Droids, and Kephess is a cluster*** with tanks who don't know how to swap properly.) - But the fact that the Classic Operations WEEKLY grants Ultimate/Elite and 55s can't queue for it, is pretty bad. Even queueing for SM EV/KP/EC at 55 would be nice, because some people still want it for their speeder quest, or the coms from completing it.

This is an honest question, I'm leveling into the late 40s on my current character and am in the early 50s on some alts and I notice that from 48+ (when SM False Emperor / Ilum open up) my Group Finder pops tend to have a lot of level 55s in them.

This seems to induce an XP penalty (not verified, but the bar 'seems' to move a lot slower after a run with a 55), and honestly it usually makes the run boring / too fast / too easy and somewhat rushed. And they are often obsessed with shotcutting everything and skipping bonuses.

But, I don't want to jump to conclusions or be unfair. Is there some sort of actual tangible benefit to still running HM 50 FPs at 55? And SM 50 FPs?

I just want to understand what's drawing them in, since during most of the leveling process players in my group were within 2-3 levels of me in most FPs and I lose interest in 'old' FPs once I'm high enough level for 'new' ones that drop better gear.

You know, there are so many level 50's that would welcome the existence of a level 55 into their FP. Think about it, when you have someone with a higher level helping you, doesn't that make your job a little easier? I know you wouldn't complain about a level 55 tank running with you, because then you can be a little sloppy and make some mistakes. Lost Island might be a lot easier to run with a level 55 by your side, even with the nerf.

You have already been given many valid reasons as to why they run this content.

and Kephess is a cluster*** with tanks who don't know how to swap properly.

That's part of the reason that you start tank swapping from Zorn and Toth in EC. To get you ready because that is going to be happening a lot going forward. I'm curious as to how many players don't run EC and jump right into TFB.

That's part of the reason that you start tank swapping from Zorn and Toth in EC. To get you ready because that is going to be happening a lot going forward. I'm curious as to how many players don't run EC and jump right into TFB.

I think the problem has to do with the hardcore gaming mentality vs,. the casual player mentality. Hardcore gamers play all the time, know all the fights, are active in guilds, and are the first to get to 55 or beat operations in NiM. They like to play with people who are equally skilled. Casual players play a good amount, but not nearly as frequently or as proficiently. Some are in guilds, some are not. In order to get experienced in an op, these players need to run it a few times with someone showing them the ropes. Guild runs are obviously the best choice. Not every casual player does this, and it now has very big consequences as the skill level between the casual player and hardcore gamer widens, and the casual gamer eventually gets excluded from the advanced operations

For example, a casual player couldn't queue for a PUG for EC or TFB prior to 2.0. The GF did not allow it. My experience as a casual player prior to 2.0 was that i was usually told told since I don't know the fights or was considered undergeared (having only completed KP/EV SM) I could not join a premade group for EC or TFB outside of my guild, This was not always the case, but it happened a lot. Consequently I had extremely limited experience running EC and TFB (maybe running 2-3 times on two toons) at most. I was able to run KP or EV in SM (by queueing) or HM many, many times through guild runs or joining premades from other guilds.

I'm rambling a bit but a casual player can easily fall into the following situation:

- get to level 50 running PVE and story class modes, flashpoints, HM flashpoints.

- run KP/EV/EC as a PUG; fail miserably due to undergearing or the nature of a PuG. Maybe give up, maybe join a guild and get more experience.

- Buy Makeb and do the storyline. Get to 55 and up your gear to some basic.

- Now realize that you can no longer queue for KP, EV, or EC. If you had ignored these ops in favor of Makeb leveling, you missed the boat and don't have the skills needed to run TFB or TFB or SV. But those are the only ops you can queue for, and undoubtedly you will be undergeared and/or kicked if you don't know the fights.

I wonder if a partial solution might be adding all the ops back to GF, with a criteria needed to queue. The criteria could simply be having completed a lower level op X number of times in either SM or HM. This would force less experienced players to "learn the ropes"

Just my $0.02.

You know, there are so many level 50's that would welcome the existence of a level 55 into their FP. Think about it, when you have someone with a higher level helping you, doesn't that make your job a little easier? I know you wouldn't complain about a level 55 tank running with you, because then you can be a little sloppy and make some mistakes. Lost Island might be a lot easier to run with a level 55 by your side, even with the nerf.
Yes, it is blatantly obvious a high-level player helps trivialize content, I've already mentioned that multiple times here. What you don't seem to get is: I don't want my job made easier.

When I'm running dumb solo missions, it's like — yeah, okay, whatever. Someone runs up and finishes off the Elite I'm killing, fine, we've seen these mobs enough times, solo rotations aren't that engaging, and we just want our missions finished. No complaints.

When I queue up for a Group Finder run, unlike soloing, it's not just to grind experience / see the story. It's because I want to actually play the game, and for me the cooperative group content is my favorite part of SWTOR (and most MMOs). If the cooperative aspect gets trivialized into a low-difficulty joy ride, it takes a lot of the point of queuing away for me.

Having a 55 — or two, or three 55s — often makes it feel like doing Coruscant / Dromund Kaas Heroic missions when your companion has like 600 bonus Presence fueling them. Yes, you have to press buttons, but you don't really have to press buttons. Or worry too much about which buttons they are. Just press some.

And yes, I would complain about a 55 tank running with me. Having a competent level 55 tank is BORING. There is almost no healing to be done and I'm just spamming pebbles every pull. I don't feel joy at being able to "be sloppy" and "make mistakes" — I have soloing with my companion for that. If I'm "sloppy" in a FP and get punished for it, I see that as a good thing. That's exciting.

I understand some people fear failure or are irritated by difficulty or — honestly, I don't know what. And for you it's awesome to see someone pop into your queue with a neon flashing sign on them which says: "THIS GROUP CANNOT FAIL". I mean no sarcasm when I say: Good for you. I'm glad this change is having a positive effect on you and providing more relaxing gameplay or whatever.

And again, because these 55s have made very clear throughout this thread that they have legitimate reasons for wanting to do this, I have no desire to see BioWare kick them out (unless a fair compensation is provided). But if BioWare values everyone's feedback, then my feedback is: For me, personally, it reduces the fun of running a FP when it's completely trivialized by over-leveled over-geared people just blowing through for commendations.

I have no ill will toward the actual players, and I'm sympathetic to why they are doing it. It's just the design of the system itself is frustrating me.

I think they give basic comms and those you can use to buy arkanian relics! I need to farm more of those basic comms for my alts.... and probably will run L50 fps again! Thank you for reminding me :cool: Edited by paowee

Snip

If you really don't want any level 55's in your FP group why not find a nice bunch of level 50's of the correct classes and group up all the time.You can then do the random FP to get the dailies,weekly quests done.You will also not need to worry about how others perform and no need to worry about any bad rolls on gear.

I do the above sometimes for level 55 HM FP's and it's so relaxing and enjoyable which is what the game is about really.