Race ability differences

Sarduth

What are the differences between the races? I know each race has a base ability but is this an advantage or just some extra fluff? Example would be the cybor's scan ability. Does this do much of anything? Are certain races better for certain classes? Going to be playing a BH as a main.

I'm curious about this too. I played a Zabrak in beta and his racial ability was to inspire loyalty but it's not like I was worried about my companions betraying me or anything. I honestly have no idea when these abilities even come in to play or how they affect any of the gameplay. Edited by JinsGhost

What are the differences between the races? I know each race has a base ability but is this an advantage or just some extra fluff? Example would be the cybor's scan ability. Does this do much of anything? Are certain races better for certain classes? Going to be playing a BH as a main.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=20135

There's a list of them. And there's also a video someone posted earlier in the thread (although it doesn't really show their effects like it should).

They are only social emotes and provide no bonuses.

Ok, Thanks! I really didn't read up on this, I was hoping it would have combat effects.

Bioware did that at one stage of beta and it didn't stick (different racials at the time, but in combat bonuses).

They don't want you to pick a race for an advantage. Pick it for looking how you want or RP/Lore reasons.

They used to have actual combat stats as bonuses, but BioWare took them out. I'm disappointed as fluff is just fluff; but true racial stats are a great thing for games.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=20135

There's a list of them. And there's also a video someone posted earlier in the thread (although it doesn't really show their effects like it should).

They are only social emotes and provide no bonuses.

None of those passive combat related bonuses where in during the last beta. I don't believe they will be in game; but I can't verify since I haven't been invited yet.

Personally, I like the idea of racial abilities being non-combat-oriented, but I also don't quite think the current ones cut it.

Mission review, dance, inspire loyalty, rally, punish, and shadow box all are more class/personality.

Can no other races /dance? Or /slap?

I think those would all be AWESOME emotes for anyone to access. But the two different scans (force sense and cyborg scan) and the regeneration are the only ones that seem really tied to character race. They are both thematic and cool-looking.

Other MMOs update racials (even combat racials) all the time. I hope these get updated! Given the cinematic nature of this game, having the generic abilities above as standard emotes would aid both the feel in normal servers and the RPing in RP servers, as would more "racial" racials.

Can no other races /dance? Or /slap?

Yeah, everyone can, the racial one are different than the normal ones.

Apart from the social abilities, occasionally it may mentioned in dialogues, that you are an alien. My non-human Jedi was able to make a snide remark about humans to another alien, and my Imperial Agent had it pointed out to him that he had to prove hinself because he was an alien. Apparently the Empire is racist. :p

Edited by kiern