Why are all Hutts slugs…

MrSchmo

Why are all Hutts slugs when the first Hutt (Jabba) wasn't originally a slug but a human? If you didn't know Jabba was originally a human. You can tell in 'A New Hope' the added scene with Han and Jabba were Jabba is superimposed over a human character. And at the end of the scene as Han is walking away he calls him a human. I can't believe they left that line in as it makes the scene not make sense.

I know this is kind of retorical, as its George's universe and he can change what he pleases. I just find it strange that cause he changed this character Jabba to a slug, that it made all Hutts slugs, or made all slugs Hutts.

Here's a continued thought. What it Jabba stayed as a human? Would the Hutts in the movies, EU and Old Republic be a threat or even a large focus?

Food for thought, bored at work.

In the (really really) old Marvel comics that came out before Return of the Jedi was released, I remember Jabba actually being a Nimbanel. Back then I was very confused about that fact and wondered if that was actually supoosed to be the Jabba from the movies, which he was. Was only around 10 at that time :p

Also, Jabba's name used to be spelled Jabba the Hut (not Hutt) for a long time. I remember that from the old Han Solo novels amongst others. Not sure when they changed the spelling.

So I guess the word "Hut" was never supposed to be the name of Jabba's race.

That's actually not the case. The original spaceport scene in 'A New Hope' was meant to be between Han Solo and one of Jabba's lackeys. Who said similar things but on Jabba's behalf. This was designed to create mystery around the character of Jabba, and leave the viewers guessing as to what he would be like until his debut in 'Return of the Jedi', where he turned out to be nothing like they had suspected - a overgrown slug. However then Lucas released the new editions the scene was changed so Jabba would appear in the spaceport. This is one of the few changes that Lucas made to the films that actually irked me (I don't really care who shot first). Because it loses all that build up, and it doesn't fit in with lore either. A Hutt of Jabba's status would never have come to see Han Solo personally.

I do like Hutt's being big slugs though. It just embodies the concept of a 'greasy', greedy, gluttonous and unpleasant crime lord.

That's actually not the case. The original spaceport scene in 'A New Hope' was meant to be between Han Solo and one of Jabba's lackeys. Who said similar things but on Jabba's behalf. This was designed to create mystery around the character of Jabba, and leave the viewers guessing as to what he would be like until his debut in 'Return of the Jedi', where he turned out to be nothing like they had suspected - a overgrown slug. However then Lucas released the new editions the scene was changed so Jabba would appear in the spaceport. This is one of the few changes that Lucas made to the films that actually irked me (I don't really care who shot first). Because it loses all that build up, and it doesn't fit in with lore either. A Hutt of Jabba's status would never have come to see Han Solo personally.

I do like Hutt's being big slugs though. It just embodies the concept of a 'greasy', greedy, gluttonous and unpleasant crime lord.

I don't know about they lackey, but I do agree it's a horrible scene. It does take all the wonder of who Jabba is (to those who never have seen it). In Return Jabba doesn't look that moble and kind of ruins him like you say.

Thanks for the back stories.

Meh, maybe it's just me but I think the inclusion of that scene was more an excuse for a Boba appearance than anything else.

Han was originally Jabba's best smuggler, so he might have made the appearence. I didn't have a problem with this scene but I didn't like the rewrite of the cantina shoot-out.