Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Aurbere

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How can someone be a master of something? Good question. The answer is not simple. Mastery requires the most serious mind. To show an unparelled control/use of an ability/skill. Being a Jedi Master does not make you a master of the Light Side. Obi-Wan is not a master of the Light Side. Mastering the Force is not something you can do. It requires you to be the picture of peace, tranquility. Mastering the Dark Side is even more difficult. The Dark Side becomes the master in almost every case.

2. They praised his use of tactics. Tactics that they themselves use. He used their own tactics to beat them. That's why they praised him. He used their tactics, not only that, but he bested them with it. No wonder they praised him!

3. What am I talking about? No need to get angry. Revan was absolutely corrupted by the Dark energies of Malachor V. He could not control these energies. They controlled him. Revan can't fathom what it takes to control the Dark Side. The Dark powers that he used would have corrupted him. That is what the Dark Side does. He doesn't have the mental discipline to control Dark powers.

1- Since all this mastery thing is much subjective, we can agree that he was very very powerfull and one of the most powerfull force user of his time. You can't disagree with that, it's stated everytime in Kotor and by everyone. For you revan haters that only cares for canon, this is canon!

2- Yeah, still a very good tactician.

3- No on have, not just the mind but also the physical body that gets all corrupted.

About the versus thing, you guys take that all wrong. I bet no one would ever say that sidious could be beated by darth vader. And he couldn't. But he was beated by him! I don't care if he was distracted, he should have sensed the light side in vader, or just reacted with his light speed movements, or at least use the force tohang in something before falling in the pit.

So, you could say that sidious, yoda etc are more powerfull than revan, but never say that one would wipe the floor with anyone as smart and powerfull as revan. It's just like spiderman, venom have all spider-man power and is a LOT stronger, agile etc. But spiderman always find a way to win.

To conclude, what makes Revan my favorite character isn't him being controled by me in kotor. Just name a character that:

- Is charismatic

- Use both sides of the force

- Defied the jedi council and had a wife

- Is a good tactician, pilot, engineer

- ****** looks

- Very powerfull

The closest we have is vader, but he can't use all force powers (lightning) and is a bit slow in lightsaber combat ( i really like acrobatics fights).

Well, got a lot of topic here, but i made my argument.

Revan is oftentimes, an overrated character. While he was strong, he wasn't all-powerful and invincible. He had his flaws, like everyone else does. That is my opinion.

I've never heard anyone say he was all-powerful and invincible. Noone is ^^

This is actually a good point as Revan would not have been nearly as successful without the likes of Karath, Kavar, and Surik. Without them, the war could have taken a whole different turn.

Revan would have still employed the "aggression" strategy, but without great leaders to execute it successfully, the Mandalorians could have outmaneuvered the Republic fleet.

The games did not give this much credit to the generals you named (I'm not saying that they weren't great generals). The games did however point to Revan.

The games did not give this much credit to the generals you named (I'm not saying that they weren't great generals). The games did however point to Revan.

There's more to the Mandalorian Wars than the KOTOR games. Check out the KOTOR sourcebook and comics surrounding the war.

Aurbere, you need to stop posting about Revan. You simply can't talk about him without letting your obvious bias against his character show.

I have no problem with the idea that he hasn't mastered both sides of the force or that he doesn't use them both simultaneously. These are, quite frankly, semantic issues. I don't mind you favoring Mace Windu in a duel. I think that is certainly a logical opinion, though you took it a bit far with the hyperbole about Revan crying. But when you say he isn't a master tactician, you do so in direct conflict with what we see and hear in the games and the novels.

Canderous doesn't just say that Revan is a master tactician, he essentially credits him for single-handedly winning the war with his tactics and by besting Mandalore himself in the final battle. "Character statements aren't canon," is a cop-out. Yes, this is an opinion statement. But we have no reason not to believe that Canderous' opinion isn't valid. In fact, given that he is praising an enemy, we have every reason to believe what he says. Kreia's statements similarly portray Revan as a tactical genius as do the statements of other characters. His leadership turned around the war. Discounting that achievement by saying he used the Madalorians' tactics against them is similarly ludicrous. You make it sound as if he stole some sort of secret Madalorian playbook. All he did was make smart tactical decisions, sacrificing planets when necessary for the greater war effort. These aren't Mandalorian tactics so much as they are generally sound military planning. By any measure, Revan is a master tactician.

As for his other abilities, we know he bested Mandalore and Malak in duels. Malak was leading an entire army of Sith at the time, none of whom could best him. We are told Revan was one of the finest duelists of his era. We know he had a considerable connection to the force that not only allowed him to defeat opponents but also to redeem many of them. He redeemed Ajunta Paul's ghost, among other things. These are not the achievements of a better than average Jedi.

No, Revan is not some end-all force God like Luke Skywalker. But he is the leading Jedi of his era. He is clearly a powerful Jedi with unique and strong ability in the Force. Trying to constantly downplay him as you do comes across like you have some sort of axe to grind. You need to take a few deep breaths.

You hit the nail on the head there! I needn't say anything more here. :)

All good generals are active however it doesn't mean they are tactical geniuses. Most good leaders are Jack of all trades they know something about everything but are masters of none. However they put the masters in position to do the most good.

That's actually a very good point.

Do you understand how the commander-in-chief role works? you don't give out orders or get involved with all your generals' business, you assign targets and long term strategies and take requests from your commanders, admirals and generals, you then decide what goes where and work with them to have the bigger picture mapped out, that's the role.

Generals and commanders give out the actual orders and form most of the battle plans, which they then basically hand in like an essay and they are implemented or ignored, the only battle we know was properly planned by Revan was Malachor V and the use of the MSG, which he entrusted to the Exile to get done.

I agree with this. Altough I think Revan was slightly more involoved then what you just said.

A tactical genius uses their OWN tactics to gain victory. Revan ripped off the Mandalorian's tactics during the war. He did not create tactics to defeat them. In this sense, we should call Mandalore the tactical genius as it was his strategies that Revan employed.

Have to say using some ones tactics against them and winning sounds like a tactical genius to me lol also as fare as i remember wasn't the republic get there *** kicked before Revan came along ? and wasn't the Jedi that followed him mostly Padawans like him self at the time ?

Edited by Genuine

Have to say using some ones tactics against them and winning sounds like a tactical genius to me lol also as fare as i remember wasn't the republic get there *** kicked before Revan came along ? and wasn't the Jedi that followed him mostly Padawans like him self at the time ?

I believe Revan was a knight at the time but he targeted padawans because it was easier to get them to leave the order.

well does the fact that a jedi master following revan against the wishes of the order not tell us something about revan too.

Yes it does. It tells us that he was very charismatic and could get people on his side. But I think Kavar joined the war because he couldn't sit back any longer.

What we can say for Revan is his ability to lead. He rallied the Jedi against the Mandalorians and saved the Republic. He's a great leader. He was also very smart. He knew that many of his allies were very smart and put them in positions to play to their strengths. Revan had the best the Republic had to offer and used them to gain victory in the war.

Yes it does. It tells us that he was very charismatic and could get people on his side. But I think Kavar joined the war because he couldn't sit back any longer.

What we can say for Revan is his ability to lead. He rallied the Jedi against the Mandalorians and saved the Republic. He's a great leader. He was also very smart. He knew that many of his allies were very smart and put them in positions to play to their strengths. Revan had the best the Republic had to offer and used them to gain victory in the war.

I honestly think we see more of his smarts during the Jedi Civil War. He basically took the Republics greatest strength (The Jedi) and turned it against them and instead of leveling cities (like Malek) he captured them and used their resources so that he would not have to depend heavily on the Star Forge.

I honestly think we see more of his smarts during the Jedi Civil War. He basically took the Republics greatest strength (The Jedi) and turned it against them and instead of leveling cities (like Malek) he captured them and used their resources so that he would not have to depend heavily on the Star Forge.

Revan executed the first stages of the war brilliantly. He brought in some of the greatest minds in the Republic and turned them against her. He also took a large portion of the Republic fleet.

And then we have the Jedi. Revan knew that whoever had the most Jedi, the most powerful Jedi, would win the war. So he captured Jedi and broke them, turned them into Sith. Malak was more of a reckless abandon commander, destroying everything and only turning Jedi when he wanted to. Revan went out of his way to turn Jedi.

Revan executed the first stages of the war brilliantly. He brought in some of the greatest minds in the Republic and turned them against her. He also took a large portion of the Republic fleet.

And then we have the Jedi. Revan knew that whoever had the most Jedi, the most powerful Jedi, would win the war. So he captured Jedi and broke them, turned them into Sith. Malak was more of a reckless abandon commander, destroying everything and only turning Jedi when he wanted to. Revan went out of his way to turn Jedi.

I think the best example of the difference between Revan and Malek is Bastila. Malek had to force Bastila to his will. But when it came to Revan she basically feel into his arms. When she was both Jedi and Sith. Also it would seem most Sith had more respect for Revan. Uthar just let him go on Korriban and would rather see the outcome of him vs Malek than try to stop him.

Edited by Swarlesx

What bothers me in this discussion is, once again, the statement of opinions as if they are canon. Aurbere and the Revan-haters make several leaps in logic that are not only not canon but ignore a great amount of what we see and hear in the games, the novel and various other sources. Revan was an extraordinary Jedi. Trying to match up extraordinary Jedi and Sith that didn't actually fight is always a game of opinion, not fact. You can give your opinion. You can say Mace Windu would be heavily favored in a fight against Revan. I tend to agree with that. But saying Revan would cry like a whatever is just nonsense. Saying Malgus would destroy him is also a bit of a stretch. Malgus is one of the strongest Sith of his day. Revan was THE most powerful Jedi or Sith of his day. Saying Revan wasn't a tactical genius is also going directly against what we see and are told in the games and the novel. You can double talk it any way you like, but the games and the novel make it clear he is a stronger character than what you are suggesting. Is he on the level of the top five ever? No. I don't see anyone in here saying he would beat Luke or Yoda. But give him credit for what he actually did and what he actually was and stop trying to constantly portray him as some run of the mill Jedi.

What bothers me in this discussion is, once again, the statement of opinions as if they are canon. Aurbere and the Revan-haters make several leaps in logic that are not only not canon but ignore a great amount of what we see and hear in the games, the novel and various other sources. Revan was an extraordinary Jedi. Trying to match up extraordinary Jedi and Sith that didn't actually fight is always a game of opinion, not fact. You can give your opinion. You can say Mace Windu would be heavily favored in a fight against Revan. I tend to agree with that. But saying Revan would cry like a whatever is just nonsense. Saying Malgus would destroy him is also a bit of a stretch. Malgus is one of the strongest Sith of his day. Revan was THE most powerful Jedi or Sith of his day. Saying Revan wasn't a tactical genius is also going directly against what we see and are told in the games and the novel. You can double talk it any way you like, but the games and the novel make it clear he is a stronger character than what you are suggesting. Is he on the level of the top five ever? No. I don't see anyone in here saying he would beat Luke or Yoda. But give him credit for what he actually did and what he actually was and stop trying to constantly portray him as some run of the mill Jedi.

I dont think anyone here is saying he was run of the mill, everyone says he was exceptional, he was a great tactition, but not a genius. He was a very powerful force user, one of the strongest in his day, but he is not as powerful as some make him out to be. Everyone here is saying Revan is an exceptional force user, but theyre debating on how exceptional he really is. At least, thats what I'm getting out of this thread :p

That being said, hearing all this stuff about Revan makes it kind of hard to believe that 4 people, no matter how exceptional, could "kill" (:rolleyes:) Revan in a level 35 FP ;) I realize these are some of the most powerful people in the empire, but it still seems like a stretch to me. At least now I know why he never Chaneled the power of the light side in that encounter :D

Edited by Meepbot

I dont think anyone here is saying he was run of the mill, everyone says he was exceptional, he was a great tactition, but not a genius. He was a very powerful force user, one of the strongest in his day, but he is not as powerful as some make him out to be. Everyone here is saying Revan is an exceptional force user, but theyre debating on how exceptional he really is. At least, thats what I'm getting out of this thread :p

That being said, hearing all this stuff about Revan makes it kind of hard to believe that 4 people, no matter how exceptional, could "kill" (:rolleyes:) Revan in a level 35 FP ;) I realize these are some of the most powerful people in the empire, but it still seems like a stretch to me. At least now I know why he never Chaneled the power of the light side in that encounter :D

It is four against one but at the same time we have seen Revan cut his way through the Star Forge and then Defeat the Dark Lord.

Great point. I don't have to say anything anymore when you guys say it for me. This is soo much better then my last Revan argument. lol.

Not really the Emperor, Exar Kun, Nomi Sunrider and the Exile all had more powerful abilities than Revan did.

All of those are debatable (except for the Emperor), but for arguments sake we'll say Kun and Sunrider are better then Revan and the Exile is Revan's equal. But the thing is neither Kun or Sunrider are alive during Revan's prime (I believe). So that means that Revan is only second to the Emperor and tied with the Exile during his time.

All of those are debatable (except for the Emperor), but for arguments sake we'll say Kun and Sunrider are better then Revan and the Exile is Revan's equal. But the thing is neither Kun or Sunrider are alive during Revan's prime (I believe). So that means that Revan is only second to the Emperor and tied with the Exile during his time.

'His' time is known as the Old Sith Wars, which started with the Great Droid Revolution and featured the Great Sith War, The Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War and Onderon Civil War then ended with the Sith Civil War, the Dark Wars, the First Jedi Purge and the beginning of the Kanz Disorders.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Hey look its another Revan Bashing Thread !

Sweet lets look at whats inside

1. Opinionated biased nonefacts ................................check

2. Haters attacking Fanbase of Revan ........................check

3. Fanbase on defense.................................................check

4. Belittling of others ....................................................check

5. Compairison to ForceUsers out the timeline ............Double Check'

6. Opinions gone wild....................................................Check and Check

Revan , the most trolled Character in all of StarWars

Still to this day , we have little clue of what Revan's skills or abilities were .

We know he ignored the Counsil and went to war with the Mando's to help say the Republic .

We know his ability to Command Troops and Recruit brought him the Command of the Republic Navy and Military

We know he was greatly Charsmatic and was able to recruit many Jedi and Jedi Masters to his cause.

We know he was skilled at using a LightSaber but no Clue in what styles he mastered .

We know he was a Frontliner and aggressive in Combat , much like Anakin Skywalker

We know he is one of the Few able to break the Emperor's mind control.

We know he had enough power worthy of becoming a timeless Milkshake for the Emperor.

We know Revan WAS a DarkJedi then Sithlord

We know Revan WAS a Jedi Knight but not a Master

We know he influenced the Emperor and stopped the total take over of the Republic.

I find most the Debat in here Laughable and is extremely biased . I mean besides seeing people put Revan in their opinionated Top ten so and so , I do not see Revan Fanboys making thread after thread of their love of but there is a ALOT of threads to attack the Character and his fanbase .

I am going to point out a few things

1 Exar Kun is much older but arguably more Powerful than Revan , but Exar Kun thousands of years later as a Ghost was still a menace to those who by these debat should have been able to handle him with easy . So the whole timeline deal is kinda out the window.

2 To compair Revan to someone like Mace and expect a outcome different than Mace winning is a really lacking Debat . If Revan was Born in the Days of Mace , the story would be completely Different .

We we know is Revan did hunger for knowledge and often traded Masters to get the most out of the Jedi Training . Not to mention Revan was really good at learning Writing and Langauges lost to the Republic .

*If Revan was Born in the Days of Mace and had the same layout for learning as Mace , it would be highly doubtful that the fight would be so onesided as people saying on Mace's behalf.

Revan is a intresting Character because he can lose but also has great achievements of his own .

He is powerful , doesn't matter the biased opinions of others .

His bloodline lead to one of the Greatest Jedi , GrandMaster Satele Shan .

Aurbere I like most your threads/post but this one , you really have come out biased on this one . My reply is not to attack you but really I hope you seen this coming .

I could go all day into Pros of Revan but I am instead going to post a con's of Revan just so I can join the Biased Revan Haters to put my opinions in their Revan vs The StarWars Galaxies fights !

Edited by mefit