Apac = asia pacific

DuckfisH

APAC stands for ASIA PACIFIC, not AUSTRALIA. Seeing as how most if not all ASIA PACIFIC countries (excepting australia) will get significantly better ping AND a better multiplayer experience as a result of this move, can you blame us for being behind this decision? There's more than australia in the asia pacific guys.

the 10 of u can go

I... just... /facedesk.

APAC stands for ASIA PACIFIC, not AUSTRALIA. Seeing as how most if not all ASIA PACIFIC countries (excepting australia) will get significantly better ping AND a better multiplayer experience as a result of this move, can you blame us for being behind this decision? There's more than australia in the asia pacific guys.

I guess the Australian/New Zealand playerbase is the vocal majority in regards to this change. Well, the *upset* Australian/New Zealand playerbase. A fair few us got a bit blinded by the announcement to consider anyone other than ourselves. For some, this manifested to the point where if you were pro-merge... well, I'm sure you've seen some of the stuff that has been said on the forums. I can't apologize on behalf of everyone that has said something negative about those that are pro-merge, but I can offer my condolences. Some people's behaviour since the announcement has been quite... horrendous, to say the least.

Personally, I'm anti-merge. However, I'll accept BioWare's decision in stride because I enjoy this game way too much to let a latency increase throw me. And who knows, maybe the Harbinger has some good late-night raiders that we can poach. :p

Edited by Punchy

but you've always had the option to roll on a better ping server... ??? Aussies are getting their ONLY option for decent ping taken away..

but you've always had the option to roll on a better ping server... ??? Aussies are getting their ONLY option for decent ping taken away..

We're getting our only option for *low* ping taken away.

Decent is subjective. ~200 is good enough to raid/PvP competitively. If you start getting all those false GCDs because of high ping, then I will heartily agree that it sucks (/shakes fist at the PTS).

Yes, all of us outside of australia have had the option off either putting up with the 400ping on apac coz we've invested a lot of time into our characters, or rerolling, starting from scratch, losing all our social/valor/legacy/gear to get.....200ms, which is what you'll be getting on harby. For us 200ms is sounding great, for you 200ms is unplayable?

Fact is you choose to roll on an APAC server. If you were from a NA server during launch and moved to APAC, it was your own choice. You could have stayed there. If you wanted to stay with your friends or guilds who moved, then again you choose to move to APAC server. If you were living in Australia and moved overseas and want off APAC server, then fine. But in all cases, if you are unhappy with your server and want off - the solution for you is a character transfer, which BW stated is coming in future, not kill the server for those who are happy with it.

Just because you can lower yourself to a sub-standard level of qualifty and play at 200-400ms doesnt mean the rest of us have to do the same. And the problem is more than what APAC stands for. You got a free transfer and got what you wanted, so be happy with it, dont try to force the rest of us to think its the right solution.

Fact is you choose to roll on an APAC server. If you were from a NA server during launch and moved to APAC, it was your own choice. You could have stayed there. If you wanted to stay with your friends or guilds who moved, then again you choose to move to APAC server. If you were living in Australia and moved overseas and want off APAC server, then fine. But in all cases, if you are unhappy with your server and want off - the solution for you is a character transfer, which BW stated is coming in future, not kill the server for those who are happy with it.

Just because you can lower yourself to a sub-standard level of qualifty and play at 200-400ms doesnt mean the rest of us have to do the same. And the problem is more than what APAC stands for. You got a free transfer and got what you wanted, so be happy with it, dont try to force the rest of us to think its the right solution.

Agreed. You had a choice to roll on the NA servers ever since early access yet you chose to go APAC knowing that they would be located in Australia.

Fact is *you* chose to roll on an APAC server also. If you were from a North America server during launch and moved to APAC, it was also *your* own choice. *You* also could have stayed there. If you wanted to stay with your friends or guilds who moved, then again *you* also chose to move to an APAC server.

Your reasons may have numbers to back it up, sure. APAC servers are hosted locally, and thus yields a lower latency than the North American servers. Who doesn't want to experience a double digit latency (or for some, pushing very very close to single digits)? However, that is by no means the be-all end-all argument for APAC servers.

The draw of low latency got many (most?) of us here. At the same time, it also brought a lot of people together that live in the same timezones. Clustering a bunch of people that play around the same time on the one server seems like an *amazing* appeal to play on an APAC server, even if it does give you a higher latency than you would have had, had you decided to play on a different server. Now when BioWare/EA states (almost for absolute fact) that we are going to be collectively shifted over to a North American-West server, for some that is going to be great news. They get to largely keep the community they know, love, and frequently spend time with because of similar play-hours *and* see a reduction in latency. Woohoo! I know I would be more accepting of the transfers if that were the case for me, and so how can I blame them for being pro-merge?

More so, again, BioWare/EA seem rather set on the decision to close the APAC servers. Whilst many of us disagree and are up-in-arms about this, it is well within their right to do so. They signed no contract with us that specified they had to keep the servers open as long as we wanted to play this game. Does it absolutely suck that many (most?) of us are going to lose our beloved ping? Yes. It does. But it isn't the fault of those that are pro-merge. And everyone that reacts (or reacted) to this news by venting their anger/frustration at them is being incredibly unfair.

Just because you can lower yourself to a sub-standard level of qualifty and play at 200-400ms doesnt mean the rest of us have to do the same.

You're right. It doesn't. We have to do the same because (it seems that) ultimately, we change or we quit.

And the problem is more than what APAC stands for. You got a free transfer and got what you wanted, so be happy with it, dont try to force the rest of us to think its the right solution.

Areesa is just asking you all to stop thinking purely of the continent you reside on. It's a large and lovely continent, for sure. How could you not admire those gorgeous curves? But it's not everything. There are some that *will* benefit from BioWare/EA's decision to merge us into the North American-West servers. Those people are entitled to be for that decision, just as you are entitled to be against. Being in the same country as the server does not give you the right to squash other opinions because they are not in line with yours.

Let's get this straight, I'm not killing the server you play on, I'm not expecting you to LOWER YOURSELF down to what you think is good enough for everyone not in your country, I'm not the one that qq'ed endlessly to BW to do something about the state of the Apac servers. Bioware made the decision, and just as many of you regard it as your right to endlessly clog up general chat and the forums with constant complaining, it is my right your share the same space and say "Yay! Great Job Bioware!". If you just can't bear to lower yourself, then unsub, simple. If YOU choose to keep playing a game that no longer meets your stringent standards, then it's YOUR CHOICE. Enjoy the 200ms, I know I will :) :) :)

I wish the game was still a roaring success because then the Asian community (outside of Australia) might of seen local servers themselves. But we all know that day will never come.

I'm happy for those that are getting an improvement in performance, the Asian community is an important part of APAC. Those of us who are expressing our concerns and anger at Bioware don't mean to agitate those in our own community, it is an emotional issue that we have no control over.

When this merge happens I'm sure some will stay and some will move on, some will hate the merge, some will love the merge and some will just deal with it. No matter where you fall on the spectrum, we game together and wish each other well.

Edited by PseudoScience

Just my 2 cents:

Just to be completely clear, I am in fact VERY anti-merge. I like the Dalborra community, retarded though we all may be *cough* Punchy *cough* ;) I don't wanna lose this community, I don't want you guys to lose your names because I know it's a pain.

Nonetheless Areesa has a fair point in that these APAC servers are for the entire Asia Pacific region, not just Australia. We all have our right to be here, same as you. So really, just let those who are pro-merge for the higher population or, like Areesa, a better ping be pro-merge.

I understand where you're coming from, having your ping go from...20 I'm guessing? to ~200 and yeah, I know it's a complete utter ***** and so I totally understand why you don't want this to happen, I truly do. However, it's responses like these:

the 10 of u can go

that just show or at the very least hint at a complete lack of maturity. Now I might be wrong and you might be very mature irl, maybe even more so than me and it might be that you're just pissed off by the merge, then if so I apologize for assuming you're immature.

I actually would've gotten lower ping had I rolled on the US servers up until probably 2 weeks ago when ping got lowered somehow from ~320 down to 150 but I stayed for the community and yeah, I know it was my choice. But that's just what it is. It's MY choice. It's YOUR choice whether you want to carry on with the game or unsub, I'm not gonna tell you to unsub or tell you to carry on and suffer higher pings.

Furthermore, to be clear, Areesa was just informing you as to why SHE and some other people are pro-merge and she's just asking you to stop bashing on people who are for it. She's not here telling you to like the merge, she's not here to convince you to support the merge. She just wants you guys who are against the merge to stop with the hate.

Personally, though I might be against the merge, I do see the benefit of higher population and her lower ping and so I'm just gonna say:

"Good on you Areesa, good to know your ping's gonna go down and I'll see you on the other side!"

and I certainly hope others could act like that as well.

TL;DR: She's not telling you to support the merge. Just to stop bashing on those who do.

Edited by Rorkiy

Punchy, thank you for being fair and mature in this discussion even though you are anti-merge, respect bro.

:) Good to know it's appreciated. You shouldn't be called down for having a different opinion.

I like the Dalborra community, retarded though we all may be *cough* Punchy *cough* ;)

I agree with your entire post. However, that part specifically needed to be quoted.

<3 you Rorkiy. I know you <3 me too.

Edited by Punchy

I play on MDN and the merge to the US is a good thing. It may even end up being preferred to a APAC super server because I had some very serious concerns about the MDN community.

I'm in Melbourne and my ping will go from 30ms on MDN to 175ms on Harbinger. I believe there may be times raiding in 8 man ops where this will cause a problem. But, it will likely never be a *serious* problem. I raid end game TFB HM and NiM EC at the moment and I have a great group of guys who I go with.

What emerged in the MDN community I have never really experienced before (played Wow, Lotro and Eve) and is typified by the pretty horrendous display of responses since the APAC merger announcement and really surprised me not at all because I had come to expect the depth of crassness. The problem is that MDN is a small community and has not enough depth. But the further issue is that I am not certain that merging with Dalborra would actually have diluted the prevalence of said horrendous behaviour.

But I think its also more than that and more subtle. Through merging with NA servers, APAC is effectively joining a much much larger cultural pool and I think thats a solution for me that is very inviting. There's always trolls, just as many in NA as there are in APAC, but through cultural diversity the experience is more pragmatic, more objective and is flavoured without personal cultural history - and this makes the proposition quite good.

It was dissapointing and very uninviting to see APAC players respond the way they did at the server merge news and the reality is that I will and would happily trade my 145ms for a *much* bigger and *much more* diverse community - through diversity of characters and through a more diverse cultural pool I suspect I will actually enjoy myself much more than if it had been APAC players alone.

I'm an Aussie and I support this move and I suspect now that it is in fact the move that will actually keep me playing longer than *any* other solution.

Edited by scaramunja

You are one of the few. I get that the community may be an issue for MDN, but on Dalborra we've got a community that we're all pretty proud to be a part of, with a few notable exceptions. Loss of community may be a boon for you, but for the vast majority of our server it's a reason we're opposed to the whole process.

I play on MDN and the merge to the US is a good thing. It may even end up being preferred to a APAC super server because I had some very serious concerns about the MDN community.

I'm in Melbourne and my ping will go from 30ms on MDN to 175ms on Harbinger. I believe there may be times raiding in 8 man ops where this will cause a problem. But, it will likely never be a *serious* problem. I raid end game TFB HM and NiM EC at the moment and I have a great group of guys who I go with.

What emerged in the MDN community I have never really experienced before (played Wow, Lotro and Eve) and is typified by the pretty horrendous display of responses since the APAC merger announcement and really surprised me not at all because I had come to expect the depth of crassness. The problem is that MDN is a small community and has not enough depth. But the further issue is that I am not certain that merging with Dalborra would actually have diluted the prevalence of said horrendous behaviour.

But I think its also more than that and more subtle. Through merging with NA servers, APAC is effectively joining a much much larger cultural pool and I think thats a solution for me that is very inviting. There's always trolls, just as many in NA as there are in APAC, but through cultural diversity the experience is more pragmatic, more objective and is flavoured without personal cultural history - and this makes the proposition quite good.

It was dissapointing and very uninviting to see APAC players respond the way they did at the server merge news and the reality is that I will and would happily trade my 145ms for a *much* bigger and *much more* diverse community - through diversity of characters and through a more diverse cultural pool I suspect I will actually enjoy myself much more than if it had been APAC players alone.

I'm an Aussie and I support this move and I suspect now that it is in fact the move that will actually keep me playing longer than *any* other solution.

If you crave a different culture so bad, go outside. Melbourne has plenty of that multicultural ********

If you crave a different culture so bad, go outside. Melbourne has plenty of that multicultural ********

And where you come from my friend, I see there is none of it at all ;-)

You are one of the few. I get that the community may be an issue for MDN, but on Dalborra we've got a community that we're all pretty proud to be a part of, with a few notable exceptions. Loss of community may be a boon for you, but for the vast majority of our server it's a reason we're opposed to the whole process.

It *may* be that I am one of the few, it may also be that I am simply one of the vocal few who think that their choice is not such a great big deal and really not quite so bad.

Edited by scaramunja

Yes, all of us outside of australia have had the option off either putting up with the 400ping on apac coz we've invested a lot of time into our characters, or rerolling, starting from scratch, losing all our social/valor/legacy/gear to get.....200ms, which is what you'll be getting on harby. For us 200ms is sounding great, for you 200ms is unplayable?

I'm just curious, since you were never forced into moving to APAC servers you had the choice to move if you wanted too.. Why did you pick a server that has worse ping then what you were already playing on? or make the choice to start here if you were aware US servers gave you better ping? :rolleyes:

Edited by Blyter

And where you come from my friend, I see there is none of it at all ;-)

I come from Melbourne, and I hate diverse cultures being shoved down my throat thanks. And when you realize harbinger will have an even more trolling community then MDN, we'll see who has the last laugh.:csw_c3po:

I'm just curious, since you were never forced into moving to APAC servers you had the choice to move if you wanted too.. Why did you pick a server that has worse ping then what you were already playing on? or make the choice to start here if you were aware US servers gave you better ping? :rolleyes:

Regional servers aren't all about the ping. I'm not AUS/NZ... I'm in Micronesia (my timezone is the same as Sydney)... I joined the APAC servers for the community - to game with players in my time zone. For many, this is what regional servers are about - for us, it's not the ping, it's the community. I suspect that we (players more concerned with compatible TZ than a 20ms ping) are the silent majority here. - M.

Edited by meaghs