Oceanic server announcement - Have your say Dalborra

XEEVA

not sure if this is still applicable but here is my say:

If you are going to merge just combine all of Australasia in to one server problem solved. We have good connection here, please don't kill that.

I know that my friend chose the role play server because it had a bigger pop I corrected him but I feel that many people actually don't know what server to select more description is needed. The RP server should not be so large most should be selecting PVE. I myself enjoy PVP.

Edited by SonOfSega

It's funny, I was looking forward to server transfers to move my characters TO this server. I rolled on The Ebon Hawk to be with some friends and didn't realise how annoying the bad pings could be until my legacy was too big to walk away from. Looks like I'll try and squeeze onto Harbinger as soon as we get the option...

I understand Aussies will see their latency go to 200-300ms when switching to US west coast servers. However, as someone playing from Asia I get +400ms (often ~600) latency playing on Dalborra while I only get 200-300ms playing on west coast. The only reason I play on Dalborra is that west coast servers are dead during pacific prime time. 200-300ms is very playable for a mmorpg, and yes, I am a PVPer. For that reason, I support Bioware's plan to merge servers to west coast as it will give Asian players better latency over current servers hosted in Australia.

I don't know the actual demographics of Dalborra players but I'm sure I'm not the only one not playing from Australia.

Edited by IGenesisI

I understand Aussies will see their latency go to 200-300ms when switching to US west coast servers. However, as someone playing from Asia I get +400ms (often ~600) latency playing on Dalborra while I only get 200-300ms playing on west coast. The only reason I play on Dalborra is that west coast servers are dead during pacific prime time. 200-300ms is very playable for a mmorpg, and yes, I am a PVPer. For that reason, I support Bioware's plan to merge servers to west coast as it will give Asian players better latency over current servers hosted in Australia.

I don't know the actual demographics of Dalborra players but I'm sure I'm not the only one not playing from Australia.

Shh don't tell them the truth about ping they might stop qqing

Shh don't tell them the truth about ping they might stop qqing

I can't even see the difference between 20ms and 200ms, just like I can't tell the difference between 20ms and 400ms, I even can't tell difference between 20ms and 1000ms, ms is a lie.

Also when can we your see autopsy on the dalborra server. I did my own and I found the server had died at 6:36 27/5/2013 very tragic. In other reports 1k ms is playable allowing for 1k - 2k ms range as acceptable for MMOs.

I can't even see the difference between 20ms and 200ms, just like I can't tell the difference between 20ms and 400ms, I even can't tell difference between 20ms and 1000ms, ms is a lie.

Also when can we your see autopsy on the dalborra server. I did my own and I found the server had died at 6:36 27/5/2013 very tragic. In other reports 1k ms is playable allowing for 1k - 2k ms range as acceptable for MMOs.

Why do I have the feeling that you won't be around after the merger?

Shouldn't listen to your feelings, because they are wrong.

So you're telling me that after all the posts you've made in regards to transfers and ping, and after the amount of effort you've put into displaying your overall opinion of the matter, you'll still stay subbed and actively play?

You know what they say about the dog that barks a lot, yeah?

So you're telling me that after all the posts you've made in regards to transfers and ping, and after the amount of effort you've put into displaying your overall opinion of the matter, you'll still stay subbed and actively play?

You know what they say about the dog that barks a lot, yeah?

Of course he will after all bioware is dumbing down PvP for casual bads why wouldn't he stay.

Of course he will after all bioware is dumbing down PvP for casual bads why wouldn't he stay.

Oh no I can't stunorz ppl anymore, which hardcore bads like yourself would enjoy more i thought.

Edited by aVmuse

Well what can I say about the powers that be forcing us to server merge, so many things make this wrong but my main concern is, "you get what you pay for" an American terminology use a lot, well with this server merge I don't believe I'm getting what I pay for, also pvp lol what pvp it'll be hard to fight someone with 20-50ms when your now going to have a variable speed between 263ms-468ms ping. WoW and other mmo's that are US server based always screw us Aussies over and I would have thought that with a Asia-Pacific Server it was more beneficial to do pvp, now that the server merge is going to happen pvp will die for us here in AUS/NZ, which still is NOT WHAT I PAY FOR!!! Further more saying that the cost is not making them profit, well with the decline in the Aussie dollar now at .95 USD, well you can no longer use that crap excuse anymore, what is annoying about that is SW franchise has an estimated value of 9.8 billion dollars, with the sale of it to Disney for 4.6 billion, so its not like they need the money, but yeah its all about MONEY to them and what they can get out of every single account and stopped being about the gaming mmo community, it discuss me that it doesn't cost that much to run servers here in Australia but because the bottom line is its not making them profit, it has to go mentality is just utter garbage, games are ment to be played and enjoyed and be fair to every customer that supports it, and cause the Asia-Pacific based community is 1% of the overall subscription base, then yeah screwed over by greedy billion dollar earning company yet again. Also after arguing with guildies about advertising, you want a profit off your game then how about bloody advertising for it, not once have I seen (late at night or even during primetime) has there been 1 commercial about the game here in Australia, as I see it don't advertise don't get your product out there = no-one knowing or new subscriptions happening to boost numbers and make a profit, Bioware and Lucas arts only has itself to blame for that, so lets recap this server merge - massive ping rates, paying more for subscriptions cause of the Aussie dollar decline, can't use "not making a profit" excuse and the fact that you never advertise here in Australia to boost up sales and closing down Asia-Pacific servers is going to do what exactly??????? beside piss us Aussies (whom now pay more for subscriptions) so ya making a profit off the conversion rate for the dollar anyway and now cost outlay is less then say another server opening up in the US, lol so where is this excuse to close down the Asia-pacific servers because I no longer see it and to me THATS NOT WHAT I'M PAYING FOR!!!! so your ripping me off and everyone else on the Asia-Pacific Servers

Well what can I say ...[insert appropriate wall of text here - and not the kind that Kitru likes]... else on the Asia-Pacific Servers

Unsurprisingly enough, it is not that difficult to face players with a variable latency of 20-50ms when one sits on a variable latency of 263-468ms. Sure, they are going to have an innate advantage, and if this game were a first-person shooter, you would most likely be absolutely screwed unless there were a reasonably large skill gap between yourself and your opponent, skewed in your favour.

However, one of the greatest things about PvP in *this style of MMO* (where combat isn't heavily positional or directional) is that latency is a lesser factor. Significantly. This will not kill PvP for the Asia-Pacific region. Nor will it, more specifically, kill PvP for the Australian or New Zealand region. The greater part of the Asia-Pacific region will probably see similar or better latency coming out of the merge.

Right now, you are getting exactly what you paid for. When the server transfers are done and through, with the forced merges complete and all of the Asia-Pacific server's population displaced across the three North American-west servers... should you continue to pay money for this game, you will continue to get *exactly* what you pay for. It's just what you pay for then and what you pay for now will have changed.

EA is a business. At the end of the day, they are most likely going to fall under the category of "wanting to make a better profit". Now, I don't know the inner-dealings between then and Telstra to run servers hosted locally, but I can't imagine it's terribly cheap, otherwise I would've assumed a company such as say... Blizzard would have jumped on the opportunity to do a full-on expansion into the APAC region with local servers. It would have boosted subscriptions... most likely.

Just because they have money doesn't mean they want to piss it down the drain, so-to-speak. If they feel (for valid or invalid reasons) that the investment into Asia-Pacific servers is not one that is bearing enough monetary fruit, they are well within their right sto cut their losses and cease their continued investment. Hell, I highly doubt the majority of the Asia-Pacific population plans to quit over this merge (maybe they will and prove me wrong), so the monetary loss of closure is probably not going to be as great as the monetary loss of continued operations.

More so, there is some logic behind the merge from a "best interests in the player" point of view. Some. The opportunity cost of losing our beloved double-digit ping to the server does come at the gain of such things as a larger playerbase and a larger (and probably cheaper) economy (although some are going to... not like that). Whilst it may not be a cost all of us would willingly pay, it is still something to consider.

In all honesty, so much of the Asia-Pacific community has been acting so entitled over the server merges. The thing with subscription-based services is that at each given point in time you know what you pay for. For the now, we have been paying for access to this game with the assumption that these servers will be here whilst we play. Next month, the same thing happens. We pay for access to this game with the same assumption. Now we know they play to close these servers in the foreseeable future. Until then, continue to play the game under the same assumptions. When you are finally forcibly removed from this server and plopped onto one of the North American-west servers, either you can pay the same amount as before for a somewhat-inferior service, or stop playing and stop paying.

Thus I must restate for clarity's sake - right now you are getting. Exactly. What you pay for. If this is an investment in future gaming enjoyment months and months from now and that investment hinges on having a latency in the low double-digits, then cut your losses now.

The most despicable thing to come from the announcement of the Asia-Pacific server closure has been some of the Asia-Pacific community's reaction. A decision has been made that adversely impacts you (although not to the degree that you seem to believe). It happens. Be less entitled about it.

I am sure people have already explored all sorts of arguments, so I will keep my comments brief. A number of APAC players would get better ping if they were to play on the US servers, but have chosen to stay because of what they have invested (time-wise and emotionally) in this community. There is clearly potential in marketing the servers differently.

I recall a while ago when the US and European servers were turned off for a night, Dalborra practically exploded in population. It was random, but interesting. Perhaps the key to the population problem is not get more APAC players to like Star Wars MMO (which frankly is a matter of advertising and preference), but to induce more players from other regions to jump ship to see what we have to offer.

Imagine if the APAC servers have double exp weekends on every week. Or perhaps the devs could introduce server specific-vanity items, like mounts (and make it so that your achievements are cross-servers). These are just ideas, and given that our server's days are numbered, there is nothing to lose from experiments.

Antiri - Dalborra

People need to learn to use the proper tools at hand. Group Finder, Warzone finder. Also Star Wars needs to make it easier to make groups, you have already in place a group finder, why not allow all missions to be selected on the group finder.

Warzones popping you make Warzones sux so most people don't bother, allow us to pick the game we want to play, take off the stupid make everyones attack the same strength because its the defence that kills us, and separate the different levels. people who are in the 30 - 55 area don't want to be playing against LVl 10 - 20, 20 - 30 don't want to be playing against the 30 up and the 20 down. People spend more time not playing the games and using Technicalities to win the Warzones. Allow more than 8 people be in the game, and have them running every 30 mins to start a new one. everyone who wants to be in the warzone joins by the 30 min mark and you play.

only two of the warzones have a time limit, and one of the games you don't even play for the full time. Space ships the worst Warzone out of all of them. The only good Warzone is Hutt Ball and that's because you have a 12 min time limit, different layers of fighting and you have to score points and play the game to know you are going to win. Hutt Ball is the only good Warzone.

When you wake up in the morning do you see a lot of yes men screwing you over Star Wars TOR , because you make things hard, no one plays, make things easy and no one plays, make people have to rely on other people to play, they don't play, rely on people having to travel to help others out is even more horriific and stops them from doing it.

Like If I was STar Wars The Old Republic I would scrap what you got now and come back with a better story line, better game system and offer it to playstation and Xbox and get some god damn voice chat so people can fight and chat at the same time. get rid of that stupid *** stealth and everything you have with it. Characters with Stealth have no other abilities that are good and stealth don't work. What is the point of having to stand still without moving to keep stealth working when the minute you move your scene.

Republic side is just screwed, Consular spends its time gathering up a weapon visiting the ghost guy learning the way of strength and you than change it to going and saving sick masters who are being mind controlled. Dudes changed your story and motives quickly. Jedi Knight spends its time trying to stop a rogue Jedi from killing them, okay that is good, you choice to allow him to live or died, however you never learn to use any actual force moves. you have techniques and you have hit these buttons rappidly to do some damage, no stealth, no force, either two sabres or one. Consular you have a double lighsabre or a single, however you don't need to use them because you do more damage with rocks and the ball of light.

You have forced story lines, On Typhon do either Jedi class get it on with a character, because if they do narking on the lovers is pretty bad. Why can't we have from the start good nark and bad allow them to exist, that way it is atleast fair. You have a good and Bad intention meter and you judge all mission by red or white, however it means nothing in the end. You get to use a dark side or light save stuff but does anyone actually get there.

Thee should be at the Starter worlds a choice to go dark or light for each character, than on the Home worlds you work to that story line and from after that you are on the dark or light side story. At least that way having to have 16 characters would at least be good.

People need to learn to use the proper tools at hand. Group Finder, Warzone finder. Also Star Wars needs to make it easier to make groups, you have already in place a group finder, why not allow all missions to be selected on the group finder.

Warzones popping you make Warzones sux so most people don't bother, allow us to pick the game we want to play, take off the stupid make everyones attack the same strength because its the defence that kills us, and separate the different levels. people who are in the 30 - 55 area don't want to be playing against LVl 10 - 20, 20 - 30 don't want to be playing against the 30 up and the 20 down. People spend more time not playing the games and using Technicalities to win the Warzones. Allow more than 8 people be in the game, and have them running every 30 mins to start a new one. everyone who wants to be in the warzone joins by the 30 min mark and you play.

only two of the warzones have a time limit, and one of the games you don't even play for the full time. Space ships the worst Warzone out of all of them. The only good Warzone is Hutt Ball and that's because you have a 12 min time limit, different layers of fighting and you have to score points and play the game to know you are going to win. Hutt Ball is the only good Warzone.

This is either brilliant trolling or you're just a whiny git who can't play at all.