PvP [Rep] is Dead

DarthNofu

You know, I have been on The Ebon Hawk since the game first came out. I joined with a guild and then went on a 6 month hiatus. When I was first in SWTOR, everyone communicated. Everyone tried to win, knowing that winning granted you more XP, Valor, and Comms. Plus people liked to win. I played both Republic and Empire.

Now I come back. It is 1.6. The Empire still has some good PvP teams. People are shouting and hollering strategy and incoming battles. It reminds me of the old times. I then come back to the Republic side. Words cannot express the idiocracy, arrogance, and lack of respect the PvP aspect on this side has become.

First off, I cannot count the amount of times players who are lvl 40+ are not even trying to do the objective, which in turn gives you Medals which equal more commendations. They are just walking around, standing still in fights, and telling me to get over it and the best of all: "Who cares." When did The Ebon Hawk become so disrespectful? I also get a lot of people telling me that they only do PvP for farming of Comms for other things and that once they get what they want, they won't go near PvP. They also tell me that The Ebon Hawk is a RP-PvE server and that I should go to a PvP server if I care so much... Personally, when I quest, I don't want to be ganked. If I want PvP, I also want structure. Which is what a warzone gives me. In case I go on a rant, here is where that logic is completely illogical:

The server type does not have any influence on a warzone. The server type only applies to the open world. Normally, when I quest I am in a very lax mood or are trying to complete a story arc I am interested in. I do not want to be jumped, ganked, or leveled unexpectedly while doing so, just like most people on the server. However, I do not hate competing against other players. Warzones are the exact same per server and are there for others to test their mettle against each other. PvE or PvP, your attitude to open world fighting does not belong in Warzones.

And no, don't even start on how I should do Ranked. Ranked PvP is for 2.5% of all eligible character levels. Your logic is that if I want competition, I need to do Ranked, because that means something and unranked is not a competitive arena( Wat.)... No. PvP is competitive if it is unranked or not. You have an objective; complete it.

I understand people have their own playstyle. No one wants to be told how to play a game that they bought. But I never in my mind would want to go into a HM Op with greens because 1) I would be ravaged and severely detrimental to my task. 2) My team would be very upset and would want me removed. I am not taking their Op seriously and need to min/max better and become more familiar with the Op. Out of respect, I would go and learn more before I ruin their fun as well.

Sounds like us WZ to me.

I will deal with the honest lack of respect and dignity from half of this PvP community, but once I get the chance, I am transferring servers. I know some of you say good riddance. Yeah, I guess so.

I must ask when I see 40+, have you been in lvl 50 WZ's since your return much?

My time in 50 WZ has nothing to do with the matter. If it was the only thing needed to make my points valid, then you need to realize that there is also a second warzone for 10-49. For Alts... which you know... I use...

I mean just now, we got 3 capped on Alderaan for 50% of the match. No one was communicating properly, and the guy defending the turret never yelling incoming or payed attention to a stealth cap. It doesn't help that at the end he tells us we can still win if we 3 cap, but when we inform him we can barely hold one, we won't 3 cap, he proceeds to start saying horrible things to others.

Of course, he will be allowed to do so because the Developers left us a long, long time ago.

My time in 50 WZ has nothing to do with the matter. If it was the only thing needed to make my points valid, then you need to realize that there is also a second warzone for 10-49. For Alts... which you know... I use...

I mean just now, we got 3 capped on Alderaan for 50% of the match. No one was communicating properly, and the guy defending the turret never yelling incoming or payed attention to a stealth cap. It doesn't help that at the end he tells us we can still win if we 3 cap, but when we inform him we can barely hold one, we won't 3 cap, he proceeds to start saying horrible things to others.

Of course, he will be allowed to do so because the Developers left us a long, long time ago.

Yeah it has something to do with the matter. You see typically, when in a 10-49 bracket you will find many new players and people learning about the game, how it works and how to play it. This is especially true since the launch of Free to play.

I play in both brackets (both factions in lower brackets) every single day and every issue happens on both sides, I promise. Also I asked about brackets because Republic PVP is really far from dead at lvl 50. In fact there are more competetive PVP guilds and more competetive players and more premades on Republic.

Yeah it has something to do with the matter. You see typically, when in a 10-49 bracket you will find many new players and people learning about the game, how it works and how to play it. This is especially true since the launch of Free to play.

I play in both brackets (both factions in lower brackets) every single day and every issue happens on both sides, I promise. Also I asked about brackets because Republic PVP is really far from dead at lvl 50. In fact there are more competetive PVP guilds and more competetive players and more premades on Republic.

Well I can see your point, but hopefully a lvl 45 knows how to do combat somewhat and doesn't have the attitude I described. I have played 50 on the Empire, which like I stated, I believed was fine. I could be wrong like someone else said. But I have only started building my Republic side so no 50's yet. I guess I have something to look forward to, no?

However, if the thread about people going in with no expertise is true and as bad as he says, I could just be sorely mistaken and expect the same things.

Well I can see your point, but hopefully a lvl 45 knows how to do combat somewhat and doesn't have the attitude I described. I have played 50 on the Empire, which like I stated, I believed was fine. I could be wrong like someone else said. But I have only started building my Republic side so no 50's yet. I guess I have something to look forward to, no?

However, if the thread about people going in with no expertise is true and as bad as he says, I could just be sorely mistaken and expect the same things.

Honestly it happens pretty much no matter what faction or bracket you are in. Sometimes when all the same people are que'ing you will get on either a really bad losing streak or a great winning streak.

As far as the expertise, you do see it occasionally...even when the gear is free. I guess the old saying applies that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. :D

I might just be stuck in the old ways. Too much disrespect of other players and "Trolling" is now so much fun for some, its not even annoying, its just lame.

Just ignore everyone else. The only person's performance you should be concerned with is your own. If the other people who've been forced upon you as part of your 'team' don't want to play for the objectives, screw 'em. You do what YOU do and then YOU know YOU were doing right. That's all that matters.

It'll be different at 50, trust me - Republic tends to do far better, even though the problems you mention continue on both sides, Republic and Empire both. Sometimes you just can't help it, and sometimes you beat Guerilla premades in a pug :p

I play both sides regularly as well and I'd say I run up against stronger Imp groups than Pub groups for the most part. I get my weekly done on my Imp much quicker than my Pub toons generally. Usually can get Imp side done in a day w/ 15 games or less..pub side can take a few days and several more games on my pub toons. Although, I almost exclusively solo queue which is probably part of my problem. Sub 50 is generally a complete crapshoot on what you get matched up with...but, in sub 50 one or two players can win a match a lot easier than they can at lvl 50.

I remember many many years ago when DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot) was still alive and thriving there was a massive lurikeen march out in the frontiers (open world Realm-vs-Realm area).. it was like a 100 lowbie crappy geared lurikeens all flooding around.. I was one of them (though I was always a Midgard person joined in for the fun) and we came across some folks from the enemy realms.. they began to dispatch us in droves but none the less it was fun and pretty hilarious spectacle to watch. :D

I remember many many years ago when DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot) was still alive and thriving there was a massive lurikeen march out in the frontiers (open world Realm-vs-Realm area).. it was like a 100 lowbie crappy geared lurikeens all flooding around.. I was one of them (though I was always a Midgard person joined in for the fun) and we came across some folks from the enemy realms.. they began to dispatch us in droves but none the less it was fun and pretty hilarious spectacle to watch. :D

I always preferred the /level 20 thanes that all rolled up together, there was about 150 of them crashing the server with lag hammers of doom.

My main was a Thane on Guinevere.. ;) Lag hammers FTW! Great mez breakers! :D

Ha, mine was a realm rank 11 nature druid on Percival, then a realm rank 10 shaman on the classic servers. Also played a hero, blademaster, nightshade, valewalker, bard, cleric, reaver, sorcerer, theurgist, aug healer, pac healer, and skald of varying ranks between 6 and 10, lol. I miss that game, a lot!

Edited by silvershadows

Speaking of PvP being dead, should we mention the Rep guild that seems to be comprised entirely of hackers? I literally stop playing when they start doing 50 WZ's (e.g. right now) because every time you think you've got one they clip or speed hack and get away. It's freaking ridiculous. I've reported them twice, I know other people who have reported them several times more than that. Still see them in WZ's every night. ***? I would drop a name but apparently the last person who did got banned from the forums.

Speaking of PvP being dead, should we mention the Rep guild that seems to be comprised entirely of hackers? I literally stop playing when they start doing 50 WZ's (e.g. right now) because every time you think you've got one they clip or speed hack and get away. It's freaking ridiculous. I've reported them twice, I know other people who have reported them several times more than that. Still see them in WZ's every night. ***? I would drop a name but apparently the last person who did got banned from the forums.

They don't hack. You should go watch a stream.

Some of the really really good players are clickers... as in, they mouse click > you to death.

They don't hack. You should go watch a stream.

Some of the really really good players are clickers... as in, they mouse click > you to death.

I believe that's mostly true, but a handful of their members have been suspended or temporarily banned. I think most of the very active/strong guilds attract that personality, though. They're beatable, and when things start going wrong for them, weird things happen.

That said, I don't think they really have any impact on the vibrancy of PvP on the server. Most of the problems are due to low number of queuing players, underdeveloped matchmaking, and lack of cross-server queues. Those aren't problems that can be fixed by talking about Empire and Game Genie.

When you see something you think is "hacking", ask yourself these things:

1. Did I lag? Did they lag? Did the game glitch?

These things happen all the time.

2. Does that class have a talent that does that?

Stop trying to report people for guardian leap and resilience. LOL

3. Am I just mad, and blaming hacks instead of the fact that I lost?

Entirely possible. Had a Mara complain in a lowbie that we were hacking because he was supposedly whitebar resolve from my knockback. I was playing a Vanguard. ;)

Edited by RGMetal

Heyo,

I don't know... Speaking as someone who has played on this server at launch, PvP is better now then it ever was. I took a... year long break, just getting back now, and over the last 2 weeks I'v had more fun just solo queuing and playing with some old friends, and trying to make some new ones then I ever did in my old guild.

I'm terrible, I accept this, I move on and get better. Nerd rage at losses (which seems to be what I'm best at, losing) does not fit into my philosophy.

I really don't get all the hype surrounding pre-mades and "xxx guild is to good so since they are queuing I'm not."

It seems the Win/Lose commendations divide is smaller now then before. It is also quite easy to gear up. *cough* BM Bags *cough*. So gear becomes less and less of an excuse as far as I can see. But I digress.

Seems most of the people that complain about this whole mess mind you, tend to be keyboard turning, and/or have a very rudimentary understanding of how to play each war zone.

I personally see, the Empire at any rate, has lots of good PvPers that are really almost stars but for one reason or another not quite there in terms of the cohesion needed to be truly successful in objective based PvP.

I guess maybe some basic advice to anyone who would listen... start small. Learn some key binds and talk to one of the plethora of War Zone Vets you see around the PvP terminal about the current meta game. Trust me, they would sooner answer a few questions then lose the next 6 games to basic errors.

*Spoiler Alert* There is more to winning Huttball then "pass the ball". Ask a Vet, they will tell you... or at the least rant about it.

Do you as a Jugg see that lonely Sorc healer, all alone trying to heal everyone and getting their face kicked in? Send them a whisper, group up, work together. Protect the Sorc and they will heal you, and everything is better with friends.

Might you be a Lonely Sniper? Whisper that Marauder and form a 2 man hit squad and go in on the opponents healers. You will be surprised to see how fast they go down once two of you coordinate CC and Interrupts. With no healers, the rest of their team will fall.

You won't need a 4 man group of Warlords to win. Two people working together like that, can be enough to win a game against an "OMG PREMADE" Or so... has been my experience.

Sorry this was so long...

In any regards, feel free to hit me up if you see me around, to group up, some help with key binds or just yell "Hey Neisha, you suck!!!" ..because I do. ; ;

I'm always down to PvP and always looking to learn more!

Later days,

Neisha

TLDR - Up your game.

Heyo,

I don't know... Speaking as someone who has played on this server at launch, PvP is better now then it ever was. I took a... year long break, just getting back now, and over the last 2 weeks I'v had more fun just solo queuing and playing with some old friends, and trying to make some new ones then I ever did in my old guild.

Neisha

TLDR - Up your game.

Holy crap, this guy, nominated for server MVP now!

First: Most of the guys who people think of as being too-good-to-be-legal in GG have never been banned. Those rumors get started whenever one of them takes a week-or-so long break, and always becomes a target of immediate amusement in our chat channel.

I currently hold the GG record for most-banned member, and every one of my bans has been for saying naughty things to other players. (Every disciplinary measure was well-deserved, I'll note, and I have thoroughly learned my lesson. Scout's honor.)

- Lakshan

I believe that's mostly true, but a handful of their members have been suspended or temporarily banned. I think most of the very active/strong guilds attract that personality, though. They're beatable, and when things start going wrong for them, weird things happen.

That said, I don't think they really have any impact on the vibrancy of PvP on the server. Most of the problems are due to low number of queuing players, underdeveloped matchmaking, and lack of cross-server queues. Those aren't problems that can be fixed by talking about Empire and Game Genie.

Transcendence/Predation = speed hack

Guardian Leap to stealthed team mate = hack

There are legitimate bugs that I've seen where people warp through the ground or just straight disappear then reappear moments later. This happens to everyone. It's a game bug/server lag/client lag, not a hack. Huttball is notorious for weird glitches. I've seen people score when they haven't even crossed the finish line on my screen. Ever see the bug where people moonwalk backwards to their starting position from the center? Or the favorite run in place for 5 seconds and then warp 30 yards away bug?