Tarkin Novel Spoilers regarding the Sith

Girdeux

From the Force Boards member unlimited power

-Plagueis really is Sidious' master, he's not something Sidious made up just to dupe Anakin.

-Sidious was still Plagueis' apprentice several years after he was appointed as Naboo senator. It is not clear if Plagueis lives until the events of TPM as is the case in DP novel.

-Plaguies once remarked that "the Force can strike back". Sidious ultimate goal is to make certain that the Force could not strike back.

-Related to the point above, Sidious seeks to use the power of the dark side to reshape reality itself, to fashion his own universe. He remarked that he wants influence of the ultimate sort, not just mere immortality like Plagueis.

-Plagueis' species is not mentioned.

-Plagueis' end is not elaborated. Sidious only remarked that Plagueis could not foreseen his apprentice becoming an Emperor.

- Unrelated but interesting, the Jedi temple ,which is now Sidious' palace, is built on top of an ancient Sith shrine. This is a closely guarded secret among Sith Lords who planned the revenge against the Jedi, which I assume is the Bane line but I'm not sure. Jedi that knows of its existence thought that the power in the shrine had been neutralized but in truth it has seeped upwards to the Jedi temple playing a part in weakening the Jedi order. This shrine is now Sidious' secret lair, not even Vader is aware of its existence, yet.

-Sidious was using the Death Star to study the dark side of the force

Edited by Girdeux

From the Force Boards member unlimited power

-Plagueis really is Sidious' master, he's not something Sidious made up just to dupe Anakin.

-Sidious was still Plagueis' apprentice several years after he was appointed as Naboo senator. It is not clear if Plagueis lives until the events of TPM as is the case in DP novel.

-Plaguies once remarked that "the Force can strike back". Sidious ultimate goal is to make certain that the Force could not strike back.

-Related to the point above, Sidious seeks to use the power of the dark side to reshape reality itself, to fashion his own universe. He remarked that he wants influence of the ultimate sort, not just mere immortality like Plagueis.

-Plagueis' species is not mentioned.

-Plagueis' end is not elaborated. Sidious only remarked that Plagueis could not foreseen his apprentice becoming an Emperor.

- Unrelated but interesting, the Jedi temple ,which is now Sidious' palace, is built on top of an ancient Sith shrine. This is a closely guarded secret among Sith Lords who planned the revenge against the Jedi, which I assume is the Bane line but I'm not sure. Jedi that knows of its existence thought that the power in the shrine had been neutralized but in truth it has seeped upwards to the Jedi temple playing a part in weakening the Jedi order. This shrine is now Sidious' secret lair, not even Vader is aware of its existence, yet.

-Sidious was using the Death Star to study the dark side of the force

actually everything here including spiecies of plagueis is mentioned in novel "darth plagueis" lol maybe except that death star to study dark side and sith shrine below the JT

btw darth plagueis novel is my favourite after darth bane trilogy - so i recommend You to read that :D

Edited by Eidolooon

Many of the things about Darth Plagueis are answered in the Plagueis novel, by the same author.

actually everything here including spiecies of plagueis is mentioned in novel "darth plagueis" lol maybe except that death star to study dark side and sith shrine below the JT

btw darth plagueis novel is my favourite after darth bane trilogy - so i recommend You to read that :D

The Darth Plagueis novel is part of the "Legends" continuity now - these spoilers tell us that the Tarkin novel is definitely making at least some aspects of that non-canon "Legends" story officially part of the New Canon, while other aspects (like Plagueis' species, or still being alive while Maul was being trained) may or may not make the transition.

OP (or at least the Force Boards member s/he's quoting) is obviously aware of the Darth Plagueis novel, since s/he specifically references it in his/her post:

Edited by DarthDymond

I don't remember any of that "reality shaping" business in the Plagueis novel. And a Sith shrine underneath the Jedi temple? Yeah, they's *********** with the canon, just like I knew they would.

Darth Sidious/Palpatine trying or wanting to use the Dark Side to somehow warp reality itself wasn't screwing with canon. They didn't touch on it much, but one original EU/"Legends" work did indicate that he was experimenting with such Sith rituals.

Look up "Sithisis", it was a rather surreal comic set in the Clone Wars that had Palpatine using some very powerful Sith Sorcery he learned from an ancient Sith holocron to try to bend the entire Galaxy toward the Dark SIde. The talk of the Dark Side shadowing everything in Episode III? Implied to be large-scale Sith Sorcery by Palpatine according to that comic.

(Sith temple under the Jedi Temple? Yeah, that's bogus though)

(Personally, my mental image of Star Wars is still the original EU/"Legends" canon, this new Disney Canon will have to be incredible for me to give up Thrawn and everything else awesome that has come along for whatever they are trying to replace it with)

Not familiar with that comic but I have my doubts it went as far as trying to recreate the universe or make a new one or whatever. I do remember Sidious and Plagueis trying to do some grand ritual in the Plagueis novel to make the dark side dominant and that's implied to have spawned the Chosen One but that's still a far cry from the stuff in the OP. That's Thanos levels of shenanigans and SW had nothing of the sort before. Well stupid Force Deities notwithstanding...

As for new canon I'm treating it as a reboot and I don't really want anything to do with it. I can't avoid the movies and I admit they make be good enough for me to like them on their own. But I just can't abide with this seemingly complete overwrite of everything I know and love.

Edited by CrutchCricket

The Darth Plagueis novel is part of the "Legends" continuity now - these spoilers tell us that the Tarkin novel is definitely making at least some aspects of that non-canon "Legends" story officially part of the New Canon, while other aspects (like Plagueis' species, or still being alive while Maul was being trained) may or may not make the transition.

OP (or at least the Force Boards member s/he's quoting) is obviously aware of the Darth Plagueis novel, since s/he specifically references it in his/her post:

Taris is also mentioned. The fact that this planet, whose existence was absent until the advent of KoTOR, and is a creation entirely of the Old Republic Era storyline confirms that Disney is still viewing at least in some ways, the TOR Era as Canon. Good news.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to read Tarkin but Rebels, The new Dawn novel speaks of Kanan's Master, Depa Billapa, who was once the padawan of Mace Windu and you read this in the book Shatterpoint.

I do feel they are trying to connect many of the better aspects of the expanded universe. Why start totally new?

Good for us.

So, the jedi were arrogant enough to make their home on top of cursed ground instead of just sealing it and posting a rotating set of guards who wouldn't stay there long enough to have to worry about the possibility of getting tainted? But at least it has finally been explained how exactly the dark side was clouding their vision.

Edit: And yeah, glad to see them going and making a lot of the EU canon even as they get down to making some changes.

Edited by dcaleb