Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So what's the trick with healing? Player controls

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
So what's the trick with healing? Player controls

Snarkasms
05.27.2013 , 03:23 AM | #11
The vast majority of my heals are mouse-bound. I can do most of my healing with my right hand only. Click somebody's name on the ops panel, trigger a heal or two, click somebody else, heal, click somebody else, heal, etc. You can do the healing with hotkeys as well (some of mine are there, and the most important modifiers like force potency and the alacrity booster), but the best way I've found for player selection is clicking on the ops window. Minimal movement, maximum effectiveness.

Whojoo
06.03.2013 , 12:39 AM | #12
These were the things that greatly improved my experience as a healer:
Change group windows into ops frame. This way I can prepaire for ops later on and it has less distractions (stuff like portraits...). Disadvantage is that you can't see your group member's companions
I use my mouse to click on the names in this frame to select the people I want to heal.

I prefere binding my skills to keyboard. A skill I use frequently is on R. That is easy to tab from the regular WASD position. Other frequent skills are on shift + a/s/d.
My cleanse is on shift + f and my main interrupt is on shift + w.

I like to keep the boss as focus target. That way I know how far we are in the fight. And some bosses have a skill wich places cleansable stuff on the group. This way I can always see the boss cast those skills.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

Degalian
06.06.2013 , 05:15 AM | #13
As stated by most people, put some thoughts into the setup of your UI

(Ops frame, put key cooldowns on a very central visible bar, so you know when you can recast, put everything you don't need where it doesn't distract you).

Then set up your keys for easy access, preferably use a mouse with extra buttons. I have a Logitech with 3 buttons at the side and I can push mouse wheel left and right. Combined with pressing SHIFT that gives me 10 skills I can bind to my mouse. I tend to set up skills that have no casttime to the mouse, so I can easily cast on the move, others go on keyboard. I use WASD for movvement and then use Q,E,R,F,C,V,1,2,3,4 and the same + SHIFT for the most important skills. Relics and Pots I have on F1-F4. This gives you enough keys for almost any class to use all necessary skills quickly. Get used to putting same type skills at the same location for different classes. For example my interupt is always E, easy to acces and every class has one. My "O-****" Defence skill is always on the mouse in the same location. My basic attack is always in the same place etc.

That will help you not only play a healer better, but all classes. Look on youtube, there are many guides how to set keybinds up best where you can find ideas. Look at videos of how others set up their UI and get Ideas from there.

And don't forget when you changed everything like that, you will need a couple days to get used to it, especially if you were a clicker before. But after that you will become a much better player and access your skills with much more ease.

Dominoris
06.07.2013 , 01:21 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
Clicking will always be slower that hotkeying. Can people manage? Sure, but you're never going to be as effective as you would if you learned to hotkey.
This would be true if you are slower than the GCD in selecting targets and getting off the appropriate heal.
Clones are people two.

Sarielle
06.15.2013 , 04:26 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Dominoris View Post
This would be true if you are slower than the GCD in selecting targets and getting off the appropriate heal.
It's always true for things cast while moving. In PvP, I cannot imaging trying to throw bubbles and heals on teammates by clicking skills while also kiting whoever is attacking me. Just... no.

Again, can people get by? Yes in PvE, probably not in PvP. Is it optimal? Not even remotely.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

lpez
06.17.2013 , 11:42 PM | #16
Tips for UI:
  • Large ops frame with large health bars and all the numbers enabled.
  • Hotkey heals
  • Mouse selection
  • Priority heals list

Mouse vs Keyboard
My sage I heal only with keyboard. (Tower healer) by contrast I love the naga mouse on my smuggler (Movement freedom). Still it's a personal choice, and I'm very avid with the KB after many years in typing classes.

Gameplay
No set rotation:
Healing is an art. There is no rotation like in DPS or Tanking. There is a priority of heals from which to choose from based on your current state of health and resources.

Learn to triage:
The hardest thing to learn to do is to learn when to let someone die. This small/big fact is very different from class to class. On my smuggler it's very ez to keep someone at 10% or less alive, while on my sage, I have lost many at 40% (I'm not a big follower of the use of benevolence, too force inefficient).
Learn to see who has the highest DPS, the best tanking and keep them alive.
You are a priority over most DPS. A dead healer is no use to anyone.

Don't let things get out of proportion:
Learn to use your cleanses(withering terror, atheists last boss and many more), force armor, armor boosts (rejuvenate/resurgence), and hots.

Most fights are spiky
Learn to regenerate resources in the valleys. Learn when the peaks are gonna come(mostly a PVE advice).

Leafy_Bug
06.18.2013 , 06:48 AM | #17
I think the hardest part for me when I started healing was to relax and not to keybind. I am like Bruce Willis, I want to save everyone and in the beginning I kept everyone at 100% and when the **** hit the fan, I kind of like, ran out of juice . Mistake number two on my part was to heal / cleanse everyone and not myself. First time I healed T&Z i died cos of the dot on me. LOLOLOOL. Mistake number three not knowing how to triage and prioritize. In my opinion, these are things you need to make sure you understand because keybinds are super easy. You know the priority list, you keybind according to how easy and fast you can use it.

It has been 8 months since I learned to heal and while I am still not as good as I would like, I can hold my own and realized I need to be pro-active and not re-active. Goodluck!

Scionfall
07.11.2013 , 02:16 PM | #18
As you can see people have different ways of doing things so really the trick is to find what works best for you. I'd recommend googling swtor healing ui's and see what's popular.

Personally I keep the Ops frame in the bottom center of the screen. This gives me quick access to click on whoever I need to. I also have a Razer Naga mouse. They run about $60 on sale but are totally worth the price. I can't imagine playing these games without one. The Naga mouse puts the number pad on the side of your mouse. There's a little bit of a learning curve but it's well designed and you'll get used to it after a few days.

As for keybindings and also because I'm constantly heal specced I have my 5 main heals for positions 1 - 5. Then I have other things like Purge and Electrocute - basically abilities that are important to get off as quickly as possible. With Shift+# I have my attacks and Ctrl for other more utility abilities than anything else.

Well, hope that helps!

Scionfall