Marriage and kids?

Yermog

We all know by now that there are romanceable companions who will either propose to you (all the romanceable guys) or bring it up in conversation, which will prompt you to propose (all the romanceable girls).

This is delightful and all that, but usually after the marriage convo, your new spouse will bring up the subject of having kids of your own, either naturally or through adoption if you're of different species.

So, my question is this: It keeps getting hinted at that there's gonna be a chance to have kids at some point in the game. Is this going to happen or not? Maybe it's just something that they tossed in there to give the family-types something to be happy about, but with the Legacy and all that, I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on this? Pro, against, happening, not going to happen?

Personally, I haven't decided myself. It'd be cool to see a story involving having a kid of your own, but realistically, I can't see it happening.

Edited by Yermog

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you'll ever get to have children in-game, but perhaps in some expansion you will be able to play a new storyline as a character who is known as the child or student of your other character, due to the legacy system. Edited by Tamyn

I think itll be mainly through legacy system (atleast, i will do that)

Plus, im not sure i want a bunch of little Sithlings running around.

and im not sure i can abopt with mine.. its the inquisitor romance "Ashara Zavros". Shes togruta, so no one can play her race... But uh, children is possible.. because.. umm.. we.. expressed our love.. physically...(its funny, the cutscene afterwords she was putting her clothes back on humming the imperial march song)

It is a subject im a bit neutral on... it be fun to imagine, but weird to put together. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not too sure how well it would work out without running into a " fable" sort of feeling and they can somehow jump months, to years ahead etc etc...

though Im not opposed to it leading to a " need to protect them" sort of story arch, given you become a very important figure in the Republic or Empire, be it imps trying to get at you, and or rivals wanting your power there is plenty of room for those sort of stories.

Another thing that may bother me, I think because I actually am a Mother, is that while fairly stylized-without a hitch- overly Hollywood-ized romances are one thing, but bringing children into the mix would just... I guess I want to say that the forced feeling, and unnatural nature of how it would play out would stand out too too boldly in my mind.

Some companions will bring up adoption if you're separate races? That's interesting. I had no idea. I guess I assumed that since Sith "purebloods" and humans could reproduce that a majority of the humanoid races could do the same.

Any examples of a pair that brings up adoption rather than conception?

There is a video on youtube of a Mirialan JK saying that "children might not be possible due to key genetic differences" after Doc brings it up and he suggests adopting a Balmorran orphan. So I know this does come up. Edited by Aquarra

Some companions will bring up adoption if you're separate races? That's interesting. I had no idea. I guess I assumed that since Sith "purebloods" and humans could reproduce that a majority of the humanoid races could do the same.

Any examples of a pair that brings up adoption rather than conception?

Vette brings it up in the letter where she talks about having kids. She's uncertain if she can actually bear the Sith Warrior's children, being a twi'lek as opposed to the Warrior's human/Sith/zabrak.

This is one of those types of questions that has no answer apparently, children with your characters wouldn't be actually possible since everything happens at the same time....the Legacy system is for relatives, spouces and whatnot that is linked through your main character thats what its all about....so i think they will link everything from your main character and branch it out....but im willing to wait till after the March Update and find out more about the Legacy System.

I don't think you'll ever get to have children in-game, but perhaps in some expansion you will be able to play a new storyline as a character who is known as the child or student of your other character, due to the legacy system.

This sounds like it could happen and it could be a great expension

Somehow I just can't imagine my Republic Trooper coming home from a hard day of work shooting at various forms of Imperial scum bag just to change Junior's huggies. :p

Of course I'm not saying the feature shouldn't be implemented. In a game like TOR the whole thing revolves around the concept of choosing how you shape your character for yourself. And from that stand point I think that if your character can get married then I don't see why you can't start a family. It would be a nice option.

But for me, I signed up to shoot stuff with a blaster rifle, not to spawn little NPCs to mess up my Thunderclap while I'm out securing the safety of the Republic. :D

Edited by Noirish-Jedi

An expansion with a character's kid would be interesting, but I think they'd have to limit character creation options, or get rid of it entirely. If they did have Character Creation, you'd probably only be able to choose facial features, hair colors, and eye color that matches the parents. At least, I'd hope they'd do something like that. It would help keep the "Hey, this is my Smuggler/Jedi/SWarror/etc.'s kid! Just look at the family resemblance!"

If they were to put children in the game, I would be extremely impressed. Not really because it's something that I'm eager for, just that I would consider it a pretty audacious thing to do.

If they do put this in, I hope they remember that we're got spaceships and all sorts of other technological/medical advances; Quinn's already offered to be main caretaker of my Warrior's children, so let him carry them too.

...seconded!

Edited by grania

Somehow I just can't imagine my Republic Trooper coming home from a hard day of work shooting at various forms of Imperial scum bag just to change Junior's huggies. :p

Of course I'm not saying the feature shouldn't be implemented. In a game like TOR the whole thing revolves around the concept of choosing how you shape your character for yourself. And from that stand point I think that if your character can get married then I don't see why you can't start a family. It would be a nice option.

But for me, I signed up to shoot stuff with a blaster rifle, not to spawn little NPCs to mess up my Thunderclap while I'm out securing the safety of the Republic. :D

Not to mention my khem-khem might eat them!!

I just would see it so weirdly. How long will we/our companion stay Pregnant? Would be pregnant? Will We all adopt? How about what would they play with ("No Junior! Bowdaar is NOT a squeaky toy!") will they grow up? Will they eat and poop? Will some of the profanity filter be lifted?

So many questions.

If they do put this in, I hope they remember that we're got spaceships and all sorts of other technological/medical advances; Quinn's already offered to be main caretaker of my Warrior's children, so let him carry them too.

Oh yes, what a wonderful idea. Honestly, Vector's weird enough that I think he'd be pretty excited to be a...mommy?

On the other hand, my Inquisitor would make a terrible mother. I don't think she's responsible enough for a baby, and who would take care of it? Khem Val? "A shadow killer doesn't change diapers blah blah blah."

I would soooo let my wookie babysit!!

On my Imperial Agent's ship... I don't think I'd be comfortable letting anyone on that damn Phantom babysit a kid. Ensign Temple, maybe, but she's always with me in the field. Vector and Lokin might infect the baby before their immune system can handle being exposed to a Joiner and a guy who turns into a rakghoul, and I don't even want to think about letting Kaliyo or Scorpio near a baby.

On my Imperial Agent's ship... I don't think I'd be comfortable letting anyone on that damn Phantom babysit a kid. Ensign Temple, maybe, but she's always with me in the field. Vector and Lokin might infect the baby before their immune system can handle being exposed to a Joiner and a guy who turns into a rakghoul, and I don't even want to think about letting Kaliyo or Scorpio near a baby.

Gosh you lazy agent, why don't you take care of your own guppies?

And vector and Lokin would be great! Babies love to play with bugs, and so vector would be a perfect playmate. And Lokin can always keep them entertained.

Kaliyo would teach them math by how to count death sticks, and Scorpio...well, she...well...beats me.

Your alts are effectively your children/apprentices/whatever through the Legacy. We already know that you'll be able to construct a family tree for all your characters on a server through the legacy system, so that is where the "children" will come in.

Will this have a ridiculous number of continuity issues as a result? Oh heck yes, the entire storylines will basically not make sense in terms of continuity but there you go. *shrug*