TLJ: My personal take

BarbarikDave

So I finally got to see TLJ tonight. I went in with incredibly low expectations due to the massive negative outcry over the last few months and I've got to say, I'm in the minority. I actually enjoyed it. I thought it was rather good. Granted there were a few things I did have issue with.

• Not really a fan of Kylo as a character but that could just be the portrayal by Adam Driver. Too whiny for my tastes and doesn't really feel like someone who has great power, just a lot of thunder without the lightning to back it up.
  • The Leia bridge scene. The force is very powerful but that seems to be stretching it a bit beyond what I can believe.
  • The hyperspace jump. It seems like something that would be used more often given how powerful it is.
  • The whole Phasma part in the hangar. Very under explored character.

Otherwise it left me overall in a good mood afterwards. The stuff I did take issue with didn't really ruin the rest of the movie for me and I often found smiling or giggling at the blatant comedy bits. It's definitely not the Star Wars of old but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I also found myself wondering where it's going to go next. Not so much to warrant spending $20 on a movie ticket for Episode IX but definitely enough to rent it or watch it on Netflix.

For me I'd say it was an 8.5/10.

Perhaps a 9/10 if the Yoda was practical and not CGI.

But this is just my own take on it. I understand people wont agree with me and you're entitled to that opinion. If you do care to debate, keep it civil, that is all I ask.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you're in the minority - I believe that many people enjoyed it, but perhaps not enough to rush out and tell the world about it. The movie had some glaring flaws, but there were enough good parts (a couple of which were VERY good) that I would definitely call it enjoyable.

Also...

So I finally got to see TLJ tonight. I went in with incredibly low expectations due to the massive negative outcry over the last few months and I've got to say, I'm in the minority. I actually enjoyed it. I thought it was rather good. Granted there were a few things I did have issue with.

• Not really a fan of Kylo as a character but that could just be the portrayal by Adam Driver. Too whiny for my tastes and doesn't really feel like someone who has great power, just a lot of thunder without the lightning to back it up.
  • The Leia bridge scene. The force is very powerful but that seems to be stretching it a bit beyond what I can believe.
  • The hyperspace jump. It seems like something that would be used more often given how powerful it is.
  • The whole Phasma part in the hangar. Very under explored character.

Otherwise it left me overall in a good mood afterwards. The stuff I did take issue with didn't really ruin the rest of the movie for me and I often found smiling or giggling at the blatant comedy bits. It's definitely not the Star Wars of old but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I also found myself wondering where it's going to go next. Not so much to warrant spending $20 on a movie ticket for Episode IX but definitely enough to rent it or watch it on Netflix.

For me I'd say it was an 8.5/10.

Perhaps a 9/10 if the Yoda was practical and not CGI.

But this is just my own take on it. I understand people wont agree with me and you're entitled to that opinion. If you do care to debate, keep it civil, that is all I ask.

I really don't think you're in the minority. A lot more than 50% of the public enjoyed it, but some hardcore SW fans are very vocal. I pretty much agree with your whole post, apart from the Yoda thing (see the post before mine) and one of your flaws. I really didn't like the Leia scene, and the hyperspace jump and Phasma were flaws as you pointed out. What I don't get is the general hate for Kylo Ren (not only yours). He is a very good villain in my opinion. He feels much more real than the classic super villains that want to kill everyone for no apparent reason, and never seem to doubt themselves. You can understand how he works and see his struggles. I know this is controversial but whatever, I think he's a good character (along with Rey and Finn, I like this new trio).

What I don't get is the general hate for Kylo Ren (not only yours). He is a very good villain in my opinion. He feels much more real than the classic super villains that want to kill everyone for no apparent reason, and never seem to doubt themselves. You can understand how he works and see his struggles. I know this is controversial but whatever, I think he's a good character (along with Rey and Finn, I like this new trio).

The more I watch this movie (and even TFA) the more I like Kylo. So far, he's had some very interesting character development. Now, I have no idea why he wanted to be Supreme Leader (other than the fact that he tries to anything he can to prove his darksidedness). But I'm really interested to see what happens with him in IX.

Glad you enjoyed it OP. I personally hated it.

Reasons:

Horrible plot

Bad progression

Canto Byte ALL OF IT

No positive role models

The entire handling of Luke Skywalker

Absolutely terrible women characters(could of been way better. Many movies have used women better. Aliens comes to mind)

Final sequence is a rip off of Hoth. And quite possibly Escape from LA.

Absolutely ZERO continuity from TFA. Good luck JJ sorting out the mess.

On first viewing it's flashy and eye catching, but upon critical thinking about it, story just falls completely apart.

3 out of 10. At best.

Edited by TalonVII

I really don't think you're in the minority. A lot more than 50% of the public enjoyed it, but some hardcore SW fans are very vocal. I pretty much agree with your whole post, apart from the Yoda thing (see the post before mine) and one of your flaws. I really didn't like the Leia scene, and the hyperspace jump and Phasma were flaws as you pointed out. What I don't get is the general hate for Kylo Ren (not only yours). He is a very good villain in my opinion. He feels much more real than the classic super villains that want to kill everyone for no apparent reason, and never seem to doubt themselves. You can understand how he works and see his struggles. I know this is controversial but whatever, I think he's a good character (along with Rey and Finn, I like this new trio).

I don't think it's so much that I hate Kylo as a character, he's got a decent enough story and a good reason he is the way he is, I think it's more Adam Driver's portrayal. It's like he's trying too hard to be emotional and it just doesn't feel natural. It's very reminiscent of Hayden and his Episode II performance.

Glad you enjoyed it OP. I personally hated it.

Reasons:

Horrible plot

Bad progression

Canto Byte ALL OF IT

No positive role models

The entire handling of Luke Skywalker

Absolutely terrible women characters(could of been way better. Many movies have used women better. Aliens comes to mind)

Final sequence is a rip off of Hoth. And quite possibly Escape from LA.

Absolutely ZERO continuity from TFA. Good luck JJ sorting out the mess.

On first viewing it's flashy and eye catching, but upon critical thinking about it, story just falls completely apart.

3 out of 10. At best.

I'm not one to over analyse most movies. It takes the fun and excitement out of it for me. On the surface, I'd say it was an enjoyable movie that kept me interested from start to finish and that's what matters to me. I try to avoid comparing real life politics and stuff to things in movie unless the movies is based around those, which I don't think TLJ was. I will agree with you about the continuity from TFA. I was incredibly let down that a bunch of the stuff that JJ built up was either forgotten or used horribly and I am still peeved that Rey, while she got some aspect of training in TLJ, seems to have mastered her ability to control her powers out of no where whenever the plot calls for it.

I don't think it's so much that I hate Kylo as a character, he's got a decent enough story and a good reason he is the way he is, I think it's more Adam Driver's portrayal. It's like he's trying too hard to be emotional and it just doesn't feel natural. It's very reminiscent of Hayden and his Episode II performance.

I'm not one to over analyse most movies. It takes the fun and excitement out of it for me. On the surface, I'd say it was an enjoyable movie that kept me interested from start to finish and that's what matters to me. I try to avoid comparing real life politics and stuff to things in movie unless the movies is based around those, which I don't think TLJ was. I will agree with you about the continuity from TFA. I was incredibly let down that a bunch of the stuff that JJ built up was either forgotten or used horribly and I am still peeved that Rey, while she got some aspect of training in TLJ, seems to have mastered her ability to control her powers out of no where whenever the plot calls for it.

Problem was I couldn't keep the politics out since it was right there in our faces. It was just bad.

People who dont care much abt SW (such as you my dear OP) liked Last jedi. Majority of fans who are deep into whole SW universe are between "i dont like it at all - i hate it"

It was crappy movie with so many flaws that it cant even be put into one post.

People who dont care much abt SW (such as you my dear OP) liked Last jedi. Majority of fans who are deep into whole SW universe are between "i dont like it at all - i hate it"

Forgive me, but I do not agree with your statement. I care very much about Star Wars, both Canon and Legends stories and characters with their strenghts and flaws, and personally loved TLJ by its story and character development. I consider it as best SW-movie I've ever seen.

Edited by Rebamcfan

thats why i wrote "majority". Not all. If u liked it i envy you tbh. SW universe is something that we should all love. I saw TLJ 3 times in 24 hours. (Late night preopening and 2 times on opening day, all tickets bought months before premiere)

Im just expressing my opinion that its not for me.

IMHO there was no character development at all. Rey? She is just OP with no explanation at all? Ok.

Finn? from cool guy in TFA he was underused in pointless Canto plot and forced romance with Rose.

Poe? From best pilot in galaxy tough guy to that flyboy hotshot status.

Leia? shes just superman so were good there

Snoke? most powerfull sith we seen on screen? Just kill him. No one cares who he is and where he was this whole time

Luke? FAJKFKJADGHHADKFGHKAZREUOGHKGCAKHGFUIETZGUKUGVFKHACUOEKGFAHK

Kylo? he was ok

Story was full of plot holes such as fuel in spaceships, light speed ram and sacrifice of Holdo, canto bight horses rescue while children can stay slaves, master breaker that can get them inside ship. ONLY HIM! and one more guy in cell conveniently there..cos reasons....

Im not saying im right ur wrong. just my point of view. anyhow MTFBWY

Edited by AdrianMusic

I don't think those sweeping generalizations hold up.

I've loved Star Wars since I was a toddler, and was a hardcore fan of the old EU (now "Legends) -- including the novels, comics, and video games -- for decades. But while I'm still annoyed that Disney didn't continue the Legends imprint as an "alternate universe" continuity in parallel with the new Canon (I still want that Sword of the Jedi trilogy, dammit), I have greatly enjoyed almost all the material they've put out in the new Canon as well.

Across either continuity, The Last Jedi comes in near the top of my favorites list -- certainly the best movie to come out since The Empire Strikes Back.

I don't think those sweeping generalizations hold up.

I've loved Star Wars since I was a toddler, and was a hardcore fan of the old EU (now "Legends) -- including the novels, comics, and video games -- for decades. But while I'm still annoyed that Disney didn't continue the Legends imprint as an "alternate universe" continuity in parallel with the new Canon (I still want that Sword of the Jedi trilogy, dammit), I have greatly enjoyed almost all the material they've put out in the new Canon as well.

Across either continuity, The Last Jedi comes in near the top of my favorites list -- certainly the best movie to come out since The Empire Strikes Back.

ye Yuuzhan Vong era would be mind blowing but...anyhow

My generalizations are based solely on my interactions with ppl i know. Not from forums or 9gag but ppl around me and ingame aswell. Im not saying im right but my surroundings are like that and thats why i made that assumption.

Im glad ppl enjoyed ....i didnt.

Far as I'm concerned I'd like to meet Rian Johnson and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, force-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d***less, hopeless, heartless, fat-headed, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey crap he is!

Yes I just used the immortal Clark Griswold with a bit of pharaphasing but I think it gets the point across of what I think if him as a human. Especially afterwards and how he attacks the fanbase on Twitter.

And as I have said, I believe his movie was dumpster fire terrible on multiple counts.

Ah so you're one of those people. Someone enjoys something you don't think they should and they're automatically not a REAL fan. Such a simple way of thinking. Well I won't go into my history with Star Wars because it's clear it won't make a difference. Though if you ever feel like coming off your pedestal and having a real discussion about the movie or the franchise as a whole without it spiraling into insults and attacks as it normally does with people who think theirs and anyone who agrees with their opinion are the only ones that matter (such as you), I'll be here. :)

Ah so you're one of those people. Someone enjoys something you don't think they should and they're automatically not a REAL fan. Such a simple way of thinking. Well I won't go into my history with Star Wars because it's clear it won't make a difference. Though if you ever feel like coming off your pedestal and having a real discussion about the movie or the franchise as a whole without it spiraling into insults and attacks as it normally does with people who think theirs and anyone who agrees with their opinion are the only ones that matter (such as you), I'll be here. :)

Ah so ur one of those ppl. Who doesnt know how to read. I said u dont care much abt SW simply because u watched it in same manor i watched "Atomic blonde"....months after release. I dont see where have i insulted you

Ah so ur one of those ppl. Who doesnt know how to read. I said u dont care much abt SW simply because u watched it in same manor i watched "Atomic blonde"....months after release. I dont see where have i insulted you

Well you aren't necessarily insulting but the way you present your argument may come off as rude towards the people who like the film, especially since you say that people who are deeply into Star Wars disliked it but people who aren't into it so deeply liked it. That's rather strong generalization.

Edited by Rebamcfan

I know what you said, I was just making the same assumptions you were by lumping you in with a broad generalization when I know absolutely nothing about you that I based off of one post you've made. Though I wasn't insulted by it, just figured I'd respond in the same manner you decided to post in.

If you actually want to talk without making assumptions, I'd be more than happy to oblige. If not then I wont waste any more of my time.

Well you aren't necessarily insulting but the way you present your argument may come off as rude towards the people who like the film, especially since you say that people who are deeply into Star Wars disliked it but people who aren't into it so deeply liked it. That's rather strong generalization.

cmon just read my post few above yours. Im not claiming that these are facts just expressing my pov. Ppl i know IRL or i play game with that are really into SW did not liked it (except one guy but hes sorc dps main so his opinion is irrelevant)

"My generalizations are based solely on my interactions with ppl i know. Not from forums or 9gag but ppl around me and ingame aswell. Im not saying im right but my surroundings are like that and thats why i made that assumption.

Im glad ppl enjoyed ....i didnt"

I know what you said, I was just making the same assumptions you were by lumping you in with a broad generalization when I know absolutely nothing about you that I based off of one post you've made. Though I wasn't insulted by it, just figured I'd respond in the same manner you decided to post in.

If you actually want to talk without making assumptions, I'd be more than happy to oblige. If not then I wont waste any more of my time.

Regarding you im not making assumptions. It is a fact that you put this topic for god knows what reason after you seen movie. (I still find hard to believe that you just saw LJ) but lets play along. That fact is that you had no interest to see this movie earlier, hence my "assumption" that you are not that interested in SW.

There is nothing to talk abt. It was bad movie. With bad plot and bad character development. Force Awakens set some story points and LJ failed to continue that story. It was outside of SW legacy and for that it is bad Star Wars movie. if it was standalone film than it would be great but as 7th part of big saga it was out of place. And there is nothing wrong in liking a bad movie. Hell i even liked last Transformers.

ye Yuuzhan Vong era would be mind blowing but...anyhow

My generalizations are based solely on my interactions with ppl i know. Not from forums or 9gag but ppl around me and ingame aswell. Im not saying im right but my surroundings are like that and thats why i made that assumption.

Im glad ppl enjoyed ....i didnt.

Imagine that... you like hanging out with people who think like you. :rolleyes:

Get out into the world and you'll meet more of us who love Star Wars and managed to think that TLJ is a top 3 or 4 Star Wars film.

Regarding you im not making assumptions. It is a fact that you put this topic for god knows what reason after you seen movie. (I still find hard to believe that you just saw LJ) but lets play along. That fact is that you had no interest to see this movie earlier, hence my "assumption" that you are not that interested in SW.

I made the topic to have a discussion about the movie, to hear what other people thought of it and compare our opinions. That's it, that's the only fact there is regarding that. As for not seeing it sooner, I don't know why you'd think I'm lying about only just seeing it, after all it legitimately released on Netflix the day before I posted this. You say you aren't making any assumptions but you continue to make them. You said I wasn't interested in seeing it earlier, I never said that. All I said was that after seeing all the negativity surrounding it I went in with low expectations. I wanted to see it when it first came out, I was actually very interested to see where it was going with how they ended TFA, however I refuse to go to the theater for any movie because around here it's $20 a ticket, then you factor in gas because the closest theater is about 30 miles away and it goes up to $25-$30 to see one movie, one time which is too high of a price to reasonably spend on a movie. Just isn't worth it to me. Then I heard it was coming to Netflix so I figured I could wait despite my want to see it. It's what I like to call control and it ended up saving me $20. So even though I may not be willing to drop whatever money I can on it or that I'm willing to wait to get a better deal, that doesn't mean I don't care about it. I just care more about not needlessly spending money on something I don't have to. I've always looked at the new Star Wars movies as they can do whatever they want so long as they don't retcon any of the previous movies to fit whatever they want to throw in. They can add all they want, kill whoever they want, change things in the present time that their movies take place, so long as they don't touch the other movies I'm fine. It's ultimately their right. I may not agree with some of their decisions and I'll point out the bs when I see it, otherwise it's theirs to do as they please. So that may be where our greatest differences lie.

I made the topic to have a discussion about the movie, to hear what other people thought of it and compare our opinions. That's it, that's the only fact there is regarding that. As for not seeing it sooner, I don't know why you'd think I'm lying about only just seeing it, after all it legitimately released on Netflix the day before I posted this. You say you aren't making any assumptions but you continue to make them. You said I wasn't interested in seeing it earlier, I never said that. All I said was that after seeing all the negativity surrounding it I went in with low expectations. I wanted to see it when it first came out, I was actually very interested to see where it was going with how they ended TFA, however I refuse to go to the theater for any movie because around here it's $20 a ticket, then you factor in gas because the closest theater is about 30 miles away and it goes up to $25-$30 to see one movie, one time which is too high of a price to reasonably spend on a movie. Just isn't worth it to me. Then I heard it was coming to Netflix so I figured I could wait despite my want to see it. It's what I like to call control and it ended up saving me $20. So even though I may not be willing to drop whatever money I can on it or that I'm willing to wait to get a better deal, that doesn't mean I don't care about it. I just care more about not needlessly spending money on something I don't have to. I've always looked at the new Star Wars movies as they can do whatever they want so long as they don't retcon any of the previous movies to fit whatever they want to throw in. They can add all they want, kill whoever they want, change things in the present time that their movies take place, so long as they don't touch the other movies I'm fine. It's ultimately their right. I may not agree with some of their decisions and I'll point out the bs when I see it, otherwise it's theirs to do as they please. So that may be where our greatest differences lie.

Ok. fair point. im sorry. on the topic:

Rian Jonson moved Kylos scar because looked "goofy". Scar that was made by JJ in Force Awakens less then 2 years ago. Because it was "goofy". To him. Even if it is ugliest scar ever LEAVE IT BECAUSE IT WAS MADE BY SOMEONE AND IT IS PART OF NARRATIVE NOW! if u look deeper u will see lot of bs in LJ that dont respect SW that was made for all of us

off topic: i watched After earth on Netflix month ago with lowest expectations ever cos of internet reviews and guess what, it was ok movie for me. I will not say its a good movie but i didnt find it repulsive as some and i had some fun watching it. so...lot of opinions and its perfectly fine to like a bad movie. But please dont try to tell urself that LJ is good SW movie. Good movie yes. Good SW movie. Hell no

Imagine that... you like hanging out with people who think like you. :rolleyes:

Get out into the world and you'll meet more of us who love Star Wars and managed to think that TLJ is a top 3 or 4 Star Wars film.

And I'm happy you guys can enjoy it. I feel its an utter fustercluck of bad story telling. You can acknowledge the fact that some of us downright hate it.

Even take away the star wars element and go to a basic 3 act story. It has so many plot inconsistencies, horrible pacing decisions that make absolutely zero sense, character decisions that are absolutely nonsensical. I mean I can keep digging at it but thematically it's a TERRIBLE movie.

And to top it all off, it has almosy ZERO continuity from the other films. This flim acts like a stand alone in the middle of a trilogy. It's just BAD.

And I'm happy you guys can enjoy it. I feel its an utter fustercluck of bad story telling. You can acknowledge the fact that some of us downright hate it.

Even take away the star wars element and go to a basic 3 act story. It has so many plot inconsistencies, horrible pacing decisions that make absolutely zero sense, character decisions that are absolutely nonsensical. I mean I can keep digging at it but thematically it's a TERRIBLE movie.

And to top it all off, it has almosy ZERO continuity from the other films. This flim acts like a stand alone in the middle of a trilogy. It's just BAD.

I, honestly, understand what you're saying. I don't agree with all of it, but I get it. I just... I don't know... I liked it, but I absolutely must see the last film of the trilogy before making my final decision. That's just me.

I, honestly, understand what you're saying. I don't agree with all of it, but I get it. I just... I don't know... I liked it, but I absolutely must see the last film of the trilogy before making my final decision. That's just me.

For me with all the continuity problems I have absolute zero idea how JJ is going to tie it all together in 1 movie with 9.

He honestly needs 2 movies just to unscrew the problems with 8, have some actual character development for everyone, rebuild the resistance, deal with Leia, I mean the laundry list just goes on and on.

Then in 10 we get the big final fight.