Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with any of the F2P decisions chosen, if you don't pay any cash towards a game expect a limited experience! As a subscriber though I think it would be fair to those who regularly pay money to support the game if the cartel shop items were purchasable with in game cash for subscribers, if I pay a subscription then I don't expect anything to be out of my reach without more cash being spent.

The problem is, I am getting a "limited experience" since launch, as a paying customer. I have no problem paying for a quality game. This isnt it. Endgame is a disaster unless you are a raider. Endgame pvp is terrible with so few wz maps and forced pugs most of the time. I cant even select the WZ map I have to play. Epic fail.

Then there is the pvp itself. I have never played a game where the cc was so out of control. And the Resolve timer is a COMPLETE AND TOTAL JOKE. The entire cc system in this game needs to be scrapped and rethought.

The on rails, limited themepark design of the game kills any desire or ability to log into the game and "just live in the space". I was hoping this would be counteracted with some well designed end game WORLDS. This has not happened, and the MASSIVE diversion of resources to F2P has insured that it will not happen any time soon.

Let's be honest. F2P means one thing. This games design, and specifically its endgame design, is a total failure. Story didnt save the original revenue model...how is it supposed to save a F2P model when the endgame is still total crap?

WHERE are the endgame worlds? Where are cantina's that have minigames and meaning? Where is space that is more than a craptastic, SINGLE PLAYER, on the rails shooter that is almost identical to what is available to kiddies in the SOE F2P clone wars MMO? But, even worse, that F2P kiddie MMO also has things like SWOOP RACING, with multiple tracks on multiple planets...and its MULTI player...imagine that in an MMO.

I followed this game YEARS before launch. Bought two collectors editions, and am still subscribing. But the pure themepark, uninspired nature of this game, and the total failure of the endgame ONE YEAR INTO LAUNCH is inexcuseable and heart breaking. If this wasnt a star wars game I would have FOREVER shelved it long ago. This is the most disappointing MMO I have experienced since STO, in fact, given the time and resources spent on it, it is an even bigger disappointment, and that is a TERRIBLY low bar to slink under. I really suggest, if it is still possible to save this game, you guys review your own developer blogs, pre-launch, and play a modern MMO like GW2 for some inspiration...

Edited by Dyvim

The first one is the quick bar restrictions, I mean c'mon how greedy can you get?

The second is the equipment restriction, GL doing your end game ops with full blues.

Aside from that I really don't have any other complaints aside from Smuggler being under powered still.

And yes I am a returning player.

You're thoughts on the new F2P model?

PS: Also, games says I have coins and yet they don't show up. I did buy the game a few months ago so should I be getting some or what?

Considering its a gear based game and not a skill based one when you need someone to pay 1200 to wear epics so he can be able to compete the game becomes pay to win.

Do you think this will help the games population or it will just keep a few subscribers and a few f2p players on?

I am not sure if i ll keep subscribing since i dont really like going around and getting ree kills in pvp since msot f2p wont have epic gear, im sure noobs that need to feel better about themselves will love that easy win though.

We have seen people "upset about quickbar and equipment, I think that people need to realize the F2P portion of this game is targeted at the KotoR 3 Crowd who are going to play for free, spend a little money and move onto a new character when the finish the class story. F2P is not catered to endgame or ops. I think they hope people will sub if that is part of the game they really want to do.

The first one is the quick bar restrictions, I mean c'mon how greedy can you get?

The second is the equipment restriction, GL doing your end game ops with full blues.

Aside from that I really don't have any other complaints aside from Smuggler being under powered still.

And yes I am a returning player.

You're thoughts on the new F2P model?

PS: Also, games says I have coins and yet they don't show up. I did buy the game a few months ago so should I be getting some or what?

Cept, you cant do operations AT ALL unless you pay them for a weekly pass.

I agree though, the quickbar thing is pretty damn stupid. Some classes, you literally cannot play without 3 or 4.

We have seen people "upset about quickbar and equipment, I think that people need to realize the F2P portion of this game is targeted at the KotoR 3 Crowd who are going to play for free, spend a little money and move onto a new character when the finish the class story. F2P is not catered to endgame or ops. I think they hope people will sub if that is part of the game they really want to do.

Alright, 2nd complaint was end game complaint. HOWEVER, the limited quick bars is just a greedy move for something so minor in the game.

That's not pay to win. You're distorting that term. Anything that comes automatically with a sub is not "pay to win". Obviously non-subs won't be able to equip top-level gear and it's not even needed unless you're playing end-game stuff.

That's not pay to win. You're distorting that term. Anything that comes automatically with a sub is not "pay to win". Obviously non-subs won't be able to equip top-level gear and it's not even needed unless you're playing end-game stuff.

Still doesn't change that the quick bar restriction is extremely stupid.

I can't be the only one incredibly annoyed about the suddenly announced, absurdly low character limit for F2P am I?

I was seriously considering and even looking forward to F2P (as a student I can't afford a subscription really) but since this revelation I can't without deleting one of my 2 Level 50 characters.

A 2 character limit seems excessively low, espeically since it is the same for F2P and 'Preferred' Status (of which I am the latter) and it's like I'm being penalised for having paid before and created characters which I don't want to delete. I can understand limiting character slots, but 6 times less then subscription is ridiculous.

It's meant to be F2P, but I can't even begin until they introduce the option to buy more character slots. Seriously disappointed and probably won't come back after all, is anyone else in the same position?

Ive had to delete quite alot of characters i almost had tears in my eyes when i delted my sith warrior. Also my clone trooper god.

most anoying part is that i can't make a new char cus of the error saying i still have 6 or more chars.

worst part is sending money in mail was blocked i blew up like 5 mil cus of deleting alts fml.

Ive had to delete quite alot of characters i almost had tears in my eyes when i delted my sith warrior. Also my clone trooper god.

most anoying part is that i can't make a new char cus of the error saying i still have 6 or more chars.

worst part is sending money in mail was blocked i blew up like 5 mil cus of deleting alts fml.

Why are you deleting alts?

I agree this should be the case and this is exactly the crowd I fall into. However the ridiculous restrictions on total characters (only 2 allowed) prevents me from doing this, since I have 2 level 50 characters I really don't want to delete.

The earlire quote about F2P goals (couldn't find the original) that was about letting F2P gamers get from level 1-50 without paying is not true if your counting returning players like me who have 2 (thats right: just 2) or more characters since the limit prevents me from making a character without deleting old ones or paying for a new slot, the latter of which hasn't even been implemented yet. Really disappointed with this, anyone else in the same boat?

The earlire quote about F2P goals (couldn't find the original) that was about letting F2P gamers get from level 1-50 without paying is not true if your counting returning players like me who have 2 (thats right: just 2) or more characters since the limit prevents me from making a character without deleting old ones or paying for a new slot, the latter of which hasn't even been implemented yet. Really disappointed with this, anyone else in the same boat?

If you want to see more of the game for free...you can't. That's the bottom line. You don't get to see all 8 characters for free. Don't like it? Sub.

• 3 months later...
I agree this should be the case and this is exactly the crowd I fall into. However the ridiculous restrictions on total characters (only 2 allowed) prevents me from dong this, since I have 2 level 50 characters I really don't want to delete.

Since SWTOR F2P features everything you would of gotten in KOTOR 3 plus more. I don't see why you are complaining. With swtor f2p you essentially get two free run throughs in the game. The only real restrictions are the more multiplayer aspects of the game which wouldn't have been in KOTOR 3 anyway. And if you really want to do other characters, buy some slots. There are 8 MAIN stories to play through, two of which you can get for free. So really there should be zero complaining at all.

Also, although I don't condone this. As it's free to make a swtor account, if your really don't want to buy a new character (it's not much money, but hey you must have your reasons why you can pay for internet and not for this)

just character another account and roll two more characters. This will of course be messy, but that's what you get when you don't want to pay for things.

Note: For those looking into SWTOR free to play and are Fans of KOTOR, I suggest rolling 1 character from each faction. I did this (before f2p though :jawa_frown: ) and it's really like playing new completely new content of the game

If you want to see more of the game for free...you can't. That's the bottom line. You don't get to see all 8 characters for free. Don't like it? Sub.

You can now buy character slots in the cartel market. so it doesn't require a sub