Adding more playable races and bringing back the old SWG space gameplay

CRSG

Hey, I was talking in my guild about the following, adding more playable races and bringing back the old space gameplay from the Star Wars Galaxies game. When I pitched this to my guild I received a lot of positive feedback on both points. For the races I got feedback that it would be excellent and that many wanted to be able to play as Wookies, Togruta, Kaleesh and many others. As for the SWG space gameplay, they said that it would brilliant and that that was the one of the highlights of that game and that it would be brilliant to be able to experience piloting their starships from the cockpit again. I personally think that both of these points would bring so much more players to want to play this game even much more that its gone free to play. Anyway i'll let you guys decide if this is a good idea and maybe the developers notice that these things are in demand by the players and add It in a later patch.

Hey, I was talking in my guild about the following, adding more playable races and bringing back the old space gameplay from the Star Wars Galaxies game. When I pitched this to my guild I received a lot of positive feedback on both points. For the races I got feedback that it would be excellent and that many wanted to be able to play as Wookies, Togruta, Kaleesh and many others. As for the SWG space gameplay, they said that it would brilliant and that that was the one of the highlights of that game and that it would be brilliant to be able to experience piloting their starships from the cockpit again. I personally think that both of these points would bring so much more players to want to play this game even much more that its gone free to play. Anyway i'll let you guys decide if this is a good idea and maybe the developers notice that these things are in demand by the players and add It in a later patch.

TOR is not SWG.

Different Game Engines

Wookiees cannot speak Basic and have Armor Issues

That's where subtitles would come into play, but the choices could be written in English for the player to understand what the Wookie may say.

They've already stated that the Species of the Player Character must speak Basic. Having Subtitles isn't the same as being able to speak Basic.

That's where subtitles would come into play, but the choices could be written in English for the player to understand what the Wookie may say.

That's pretty much how it could work for all playable non-basic speaking species. Have their dialogue substituted with their language and subtitles at the bottom.

Edited by Vitas

I am merely seeking out peoples opinions on the matter and wishing that the developers take not and then maybe find some way to make it possible.

It can be possible, it would just take a lot of time to implement such as having the gear fit right on the species.

Edited by Vitas

Meh. Every time I see one of these thread pop up, I kinda just see it as an unscrupulous attempt at advertising SWGEMU's existence, in hopes of attracting people back to a zombie game. More playable races would be nice, and more dynamic space battles would be a breath of fresh air, but was the SWG namedrop necessary?

...but I digress. I honestly doubt that I would even play a revised space /rebooted space mission. So.... yea on the species, meh on space changes.

Edited by AboB

i take it your a new player this topic as been done too death more then once and yes everyone would love more Species and better space combat will we get it not any time soon for the space combat i do believe that there will be a new Species soonish.

as for Wookies talking the best thing i remember reading was that the ship Druid would translate it for the Wookies will this ever be done ? i don't think so

PS. Race and Species are not the same thing you should look it up

Edited by Genuine

It can be possible, it would just take a lot of time to implement such as having the gear fit right on the species.

Since player characters must speak Basic, and Wookiees do not, you will not get them as a playable species. Yes, BW can make Wooks speak Basic, but that would go against Lore and Canon. Lucas Arts would never allow it.

We have to wait and see but I believe the secret space project will be similar to what JTL was for Galaxies. I am hoping it is. We have no space as it is. I refuse to accept the rail-shooter as being "space" content. It is an utter insult.:mad:

Since player characters must speak Basic, and Wookiees do not, you will not get them as a playable species. Yes, BW can make Wooks speak Basic, but that would go against Lore and Canon. Lucas Arts would never allow it.

We have to wait and see but I believe the secret space project will be similar to what JTL was for Galaxies. I am hoping it is. We have no space as it is. I refuse to accept the rail-shooter as being "space" content. It is an utter insult.:mad:

No, I didn't say they would speak basic. They can still speak Shyriiwook which would substitute the basic dialogue and also have subtitles in place.

Edited by Vitas

I think many people would love to see more playable races added. I've heard this time and time again from friends and in General chat channels in game. Cathar have been mentioned, as have Torgutas (spelling) and Naudalans (spelling?) I've also heard Echani mentioned (though there are people making very light skinned humans and RPing them as Echani.

The SWG name drop really sucked, sorry, had to be said. SWG is a totally different game published by a completely different company. Bioware could not legally take game play features from that game and add them to this game, it'd be a copywright infringement. Though I have to admit, I personally do not like the way the space missions are currently operated.

They've already stated that the Species of the Player Character must speak Basic. Having Subtitles isn't the same as being able to speak Basic.

They've stated many things that have already changed. This game is obviously not doing well. People need to be a little more open minded. If everyone just keep regurgitating what they've heard Bioware say in the past it's not going to help. There is no reason why a non-basic speaking player character couldn't happen. The subtitles are already there and everything.

SWG was a broken game. I played in beta all the way until the NGE. People keep saying that this isn't SWG. Well the funny thing is that this game has a lot of things in common with SWG.

1. Both games started with a bang and then fizzled out. SWTOR probably started with a bigger bang, but it's still fizzling like SWG did.

2. SWG had bugs that existed from beta all the way to the NGE that weren't fixed. SWTOR has bugs that have been around since beta and guess what? It's been a year. If I remember correctly, the NGE came out just about 1.5 years after the release of SWG.

The difference is that SWG had a decent space game and SWG had a much more interesting selection of playable species. Bioware seems to be too stubborn to admit that there were things they should have done differently. SWTOR has 100% voice over. Which I do like but realistically I think about 90% of the playerbase space bars through it. So I'm thinking that it wasn't exactly a good investment. IMO Bioware would have been smarter to invest that money in other content like more playable species.

Either way this game seems like a trip down memory lane. It's like SWG all over again because we have a company shoving out as much new content as they can, but not fixing what they already have (I actually think there may be more bugs now than there was at the end of open beta). I'm waiting to hear that they've been secretly working on a "new game experience" that will be stealth launched after everyone buys up this first expansion.

In short... I agree with the OP. I would like to see a better space game as well as more playable species. But FIRST Bioware needs to get the current bugs under control.

Edited by EcrirTwyLar

I like the idea. I heard that SWG was a great game. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to play it when it was out.

Ecrir, I completely agree, and its one of the reasons I've regained respect for Squarenix, since they acknowledged the problems of their game and took it back to the drawing board. Bioware has acknowledged that there are problems with SWTOR, but either isn't interested or isn't capable of performing the necessary changes to the game. They could also just not be telling us, since they did just get done with an xpac for the game. What they need to do is build a new game on top of this one and fix the bugs that currently exist. Speaking of which, they seriously need to do some different helmet models for the twi'leks and fix the saber staff clipping issue (yes, I know I made a suggestion on this board for it, but still...)

Edited by lobotaru

• 2 weeks later...
No, I didn't say they would speak basic. They can still speak Shyriiwook which would substitute the basic dialogue and also have subtitles in place.

Except it was the Voice Director that stated that all Player Characters will speak Basic, therefore any Playable Species must be able to Speak Basic:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/15728-interview-series-the-audio-of-star-wars-the-old

WB = Will Beckman, Voice Director

DH = Darth Hater

DH: We have been told that players have the option of making their characters a non-human species. Will all players be voiced in galactic basic, be it English, French, or German, or will some be able to speak in an alien language, similar to Jory in the Bounty Hunter demo?

WB: The players will have the option of creating non-human player characters. However all of the player characters will speak basic as much of the entertainment in the conversations comes from the player character responses.

Edited by Altyrell

As flawed as SWG was, it was a great MMO up until NGE hit. And as flawed as JTL was, it was still better than this rail system Bioware has us flying down over and over again. I would love to see more types of ships ( POB ships as well) with open space combat off the rails with some group missions/PvP.

With a SWG type space combat Bioware can introduce a new profession like Shtpwright, where players can craft different types of ships and weapons, armor, boosters, engines etc to go along with it.

As for other races, I would hope they implement the Kel Dor race, always wanted to play as one. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kel_Dor

or a Bothan http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan

Except it was the Voice Director that stated that all Player Characters will speak Basic, therefore any Playable Species must be able to Speak Basic:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/15728-interview-series-the-audio-of-star-wars-the-old

DH = Darth Hater

DH: We have been told that players have the option of making their characters a non-human species. Will all players be voiced in galactic basic, be it English, French, or German, or will some be able to speak in an alien language, similar to Jory in the Bounty Hunter demo?

WB: The players will have the option of creating non-human player characters. However all of the player characters will speak basic as much of the entertainment in the conversations comes from the player character responses.

That's an old quote. They also said they had no intentions of going F2P. Things change.

Species and Space combat changes like you're talking about have been talked about over and over and over again in just about every forum on this site. Its not gonna happen anytime soon. BW said they were gonna introduce a new playable species months ago but I havn't heard anything about it recently. You have to understand ALL the work that has to go in to adding an entire species in an MMO like this. Its not like you can go into work one day, and just pop in .... Rodieans for example and call it a day. Settings, storylines, interactions, physical customizations (and thats just barely scratching the surface) all have to be developed and tested. It can't be done in a day... or a week... or in a month.

I will say, though, that the space combat needs some serious work. I know i would much rather do the space combat in first person cockpit mode like the old Tie Fighter/X-Wing games. By the way, how cool would it be if Microsoft and/or Sony somehow managed to get Lucasarts to put Tie Fighter and X-Wing on Xbox Live/PSN???????

1) I really don't see any difference in the story lines of each race, classes yes, races no. If there is any difference in story lines of each race it is very minute to not even noticeable anyway.

2) All races use the same body mesh. just different skins to give them a different color and texture. The only difference are the heads of each race, which can easily be worked around for armor/clothing implementations.

3) If Bioware really wanted to draw in more player having open space content would work.

Something like this:

or

I do know that with Biowares abilities they can make it 1000x better, but I guess they are content with the kiddie rail shooter.

Probally wont see Wookie or Ithorians. If you recall in SWG those species has special clothing made. I am doubtful would could see that

Alien Implementation:

Simple IMO. Make it a legacy or CM unlock and use subtitles. Also use very limited customization. No more than the basic NPC look. This would make the impementation seemless without adding anything new to the game. All of this is in game and its just a skin color change and new head. Heck just give us alien helmets and we would be happy.

If sullustans were available with only 1 or 2 head options i would still buy them. Besides rehasing aliens is a throw back to starwars anyway. Greedo costume was in jabbas palace in ROTJ evern though he had been killed.

Space:

There are rumors, but i have many many doubts we will see anything like SWG had ever.

Edited by kirorx

use subtitles.

Except since the Player Character will speak Basic, the Playable Species MUST be able to speak Basic.

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

and

DH = Darth Hater

Edited by Altyrell