Hell, in Star Wars?

hunterraaze

Was playing on Nar Shaddaa, on my Vanguard. Was in a convo with 'the mountain', I said something about killing him, and he responded something on the lines of, I'll see you in Hell Republic scum. I was a little confused. Is there Hell in Star Wars, or did the writers miss something something? The thought never really crossed my mind before. But now i'm a little confused.

Corellians have nine levels of Hell. Not sure where I heard that, though.

Hell is not necessarily a religious idea, it has come to mean any place or any situation that causes extreme suffering. ( I know several people who refer to their jobs as "a living hell.":rolleyes:)

I think that is how it is used in the Star Wars universe, and not in the religious sense of the word.

The concept of hell in Star wars is generally referred to as Chaos. It is also known as The Void. It's a place in the force netherworld that the evil spirits of sentient beings inhabit. These include the Dark Jedi, the Dark Lords of the Sith, and people do did evil acts in general. What hell is to someone in the Star Wars universe is dependent on who you talk to. Correlians, like Gidera said, has nine levels. Nabooians envision hell as a dark, empty pit closed off by six impenetrable gates.

Sounds like a lovely vacation spot.

Edited by NightshadeBlue

Why not?

The vast majority of cultures have very complex concepts of an afterlife, complete with some sort of paradise versus place of suffering that the dead experience once they're gone. It's not even strange to imagine such concepts would very much persist in the variety of cultures that make up the Star Wars universe.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If "there is no death, there is only the force" than there is no afterlife, heaven or hell. But again even this is a religious thing. To believe that there is something beyond death and that you know what it is, is religion.

Also "The hell" is purely religious btw. If you don't believe in anything, say you are an atheist, you don't believe that hell or heaven exist.

The force it self can be observed as a religious thing. Dark and light fighting each other is like two opposed religions. Both the Sith and the Jedi believe in(and use) the force as they see fit.

Firstly there are many religions in Star Wars, and most of them have Hells. Even the Jedi order is technically a religion, as was stated on the Death Star by several Imperials. And not everyone will believe in the force.

Secondly, there has to be a level of cultural references which the viewer/reader can tag onto or the story would become unaccessible. Since we have a concept of Hell, we can relate to it in a film/book. If the line was "See you in Nilheim" then it wouldn't have the same resonance.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Solo

han solo was from correlia

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corellian_religion

and as mentioned their are nine level`s of hell in the correlian religon

Bail Organa frequently mentions "all nine Corellian Hells."

Can that be nine different places on Corellia? I mean can those places really exist on the planet rather than being a part of a belief?

I'm no lore of SW so don't know the entire map of Corellia.

Went ahead and looked it up. As someone mentioned earlier, more often in SW lore, Hell is referred to as Chaos, a place where, it's said, Sith and Dark Jedi are supposed to dwell after they die. Corellians, though, really do refer to Chaos as Hell. So you might hear a Sith say, "Chaos take you!", while a Corellian will say, "I'll see you in Hell!"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

For Mandalorians, there is no Heaven or Hell. They say that all Mandoes belong to the Manda, an "oversoul" or collective conciousness. To be Dar'manda, or soulless, ignorant of one's heritage or outside of the Manda, was said to be worse than death, and the closest state to Hell that the Mandalorians might envision.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manda_(religious)

I thought Han Solo said something along those lines when he's going out to rescue Luke on Hoth?

IIRC it's 'Then I'll see you in Hell!' and off he rides.

Just happened to watch ESB this morning, you are correct. I believe its:

"Its getting dark - you'll die out there."

"Then I'll see you in hell!"

Just happened to watch ESB this morning, you are correct. I believe its:

"Its getting dark - you'll die out there."

"Then I'll see you in hell!"

Actually its..

"Your Tauntaun'll freeze before you reach the first marker!"

"Then i'll see you in hell!"

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

When you are writing dialogue in a fictional universe you sometimes have to write in conventions that your readers/viewers will understand. If in ESB Han said, "then I'll see you in Grashuck," a large portion of the viewing populous would have no idea what he was talking about.

In several of the EU novels the term "sith spit" is used as a curse. There is no direction translation. Does it mean "poo" or "f-bomb" (cleaned up to avoid the censors :) )?

In a similar vein, in Star Trek humans do not have any religion per se (they have evolved beyond it), yet whenever something catastrophic happens a human character invariably says, "Oh my G-d." Do they believe in G-d or not? The phrase is used because it is in the real world common vernacular to denote shock and dismay, not to contradict the evolution beyond religion in that universe.