Why the prequels are awesome (and important)

Genitor

It's Obi Wan's not Hans. Nowhere in the movie does it say it was on his ship..it came with the toy as that's where you see it..but it is a training remote that belonged to Obi Wan.

Where did he have it stashed then? He was pretty much empty handed when they went to hire Han Solo as a pilot. It's not like he could have stashed the training droid in a pocket or under his robes. It was too big for that. It was certainly on Han's ship beforehand. It had to be. Nothing else makes any logical sense. Han also clearly did not believe in the force, calling it a "hokey religion", so why on earth would he keep a jedi training droid in his stash?

You forget that they drove a speeder to meet Han, he it could have been it there. Also his robes are realy big. But realy it doesnt matter. It had to be Bens because why would Han need a thing like that on his ship anyway. Either way there is a continutity error so you might as well just go with the one that makes sense.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Letter Media thinks to much. Just enjoy the @#$*ing movies. Or don't I. It doesn't matter to me but don't bash the people who do like them. We are all playing this game because we are STAR WARS FANS. Because the preaqules are still part of the seires wheather you like it or not, some people like my self are going to like them. Are they perfect no but neither are the origales.

Red Letter Media thinks to much. Just enjoy the @#$*ing movies. Or don't I. It doesn't matter to me but don't bash the people who do like them. We are all playing this game because we are STAR WARS FANS. Because the preaqules are still part of the seires wheather you like it or not, some people like my self are going to like them. Are they perfect no but neither are the origales.

If you're being deliberately ironic with this post: Well played, sir. If you are serious: uh, wow.

Many of the issues come from the fact that Lucas doesn't pay attention to the Expanded Universe. There is a lot of good lore there stretching back 20,000 + years and stretching forward several hundred.

The prequels required massive retcons issued throughout the EU, not the least of which is the Russaan reformation.

Remember that line?

"There hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the republic."

Would be a pretty boring universe (not to mention unlikely) going 20,000 years without a single war. A number that Lucas himself indirectly provided with his "thousand generations" line.

That's the main issue I have with the prequels. Lucas allows the creation of the EU, than doesn't bother to pay attention to what he himself green-lighted when writing the prequels.

Other that that, the movies themselves are fine. The prequels simply make me respect the writers of the EU more. The creative things they did to keep the continuity relatively intact are simply wonderful.

Many people hate on the prequels and say that they are an abomination that should have never happened.

But almost everything we know about the jedi are from the prequels (aside from the books)

If all you go by is the original, then all you know about the jedi is obi-wan who is an old man, and yoda who has a very minimal (but important) presence in the trilogy.

The prequels showed us the jedi council, all the different types of jedi and they're roles and how they live. It expanded the lore greatly.

It seems that so many people embrace all the nuances and foundations that the prequels gave us about star wars yet those people claim to hate the prequels. It doesn't make sense. Yes, there was an annoying little anakin, and a kind of annoying older anakin, and yes there were gungans, but even though the prequels held some embarassing moments, it left us with an general understanding of star wars that we cherish.

Much of the swtor is more based off swtor than the original trilogy to be honest. Politics of the jedi council, and the sith uprising, these are all concepts stemmed from the prequels. And there is a lot more.

I think people just think gungans and pod racers when they think of the prequels and forget about all the great moments those movies gave despite the not so great.

Lucas borrowed liberally from the established EU. Since it was copyright of Lucasarts, all the creative minds that built the universe Lucas pilfered got zero credit for their work. Then Lucas takes those things and screws up their lore, writes his own garbage screenplay using their ideas and passes it off as something great.

Where did he have it stashed then? He was pretty much empty handed when they went to hire Han Solo as a pilot. It's not like he could have stashed the training droid in a pocket or under his robes. It was too big for that. It was certainly on Han's ship beforehand. It had to be. Nothing else makes any logical sense. Han also clearly did not believe in the force, calling it a "hokey religion", so why on earth would he keep a jedi training droid in his stash?

You forget that they drove a speeder to meet Han, he it could have been it there. Also his robes are realy big. But realy it doesnt matter. It had to be Bens because why would Han need a thing like that on his ship anyway. Either way there is a continutity error so you might as well just go with the one that makes sense.

Two things. One: Obi Wan gave Luke the lightsaber out of a tackle box like case. It could have been in there. They could have packed it up, I'm sure Obi brought a change of robes at least, when they packed up the speeder to head to Mos Eisley. He was aware that he was about to start training Luke, so he could have been like, "Oh, mustn’t forget my training droid."

Two: It could have been Han's. We assume that was a Jedi remote because of the prequels. It could have been a blaster training tool as well. Set blaster to minimum setting, or using a training blaster. Obi Wan, familiar with warfare items, saw it, and decided to use it for training Luke to deflect, rather than dodge, the stinging bolts.

It's only because of the younglings that we've permanently affixed it to the Jedi. I found the youngling scene quite disheartening. It was a Disney moment in the franchise. These are future warrior generals and it's like romper room in there. I would have preferred a scowling Yoda who stalked the ranks tapping a cadence with his cane as the students progress through the various strikes. Then, like in Conan the Barbarian (not the new one) he would stop and adjust the stance of a youngling, then slap him in the face so he'd remember. Then of course he would force push the giggling student behind him. That would have been a great scene.

Edited by Rikalonius

Lucas borrowed liberally from the established EU. Since it was copyright of Lucasarts, all the creative minds that built the universe Lucas pilfered got zero credit for their work. Then Lucas takes those things and screws up their lore, writes his own garbage screenplay using their ideas and passes it off as something great.

That is just so patently untrue it's funny :-)

Coruscant was made up by Timothy Zahn, yes... And that's about it. Lucas actually fleshed it out a lot more. The history of the Sith came from Lucas' own extensive background. Yes, it had been used in the Tales of the Jedi comics before Episode I came out, but that was all based on Lucas' own notes.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the hatred against the prequels is pure "bandwagonitis". Objective newcomers who watch the whole series almost invariably have a pretty nuanced view on the films. Like myself, they'll love, like and dislike various aspects of the films across all six of them. They also don't have this bizarre fixation on The Empire Strikes Back like it's somehow incredibly superior to the other films. I like Empire too, don't get me wrong. I just love Star Wars, the whole universe of it and all of the movies.

Why do quite a few people base their opinions behind those of the RLM. It almost seems like they can't make up their own opinions from watching the film.

I personally love all the films. Yes I have noticed as I got older that there are some mistakes and things that most people would change about the prequels, but there are also things that I would personally change in the OT.But all of this doesn't change the fact that I think these are all great movies which have given to us much more than has been taken away.

I really don't see the need to insult or mock people only because they like or don't like the film, because that is what they are just films.

Growing up watching the OT, I enjoyed the PT very much, how it used to be in the old republic, and also the history lesson, the way Palpatine takes power is exactly the same how Adolf got to power.

Personally, the Anakin Skywalker part for me, I only liked the empire because of Darth Vader, and for me it was the bomb on how Anakin Skywalker transformed into Darth Vader and eventually turned back to Anakin fullfilling the prophecy.

Yes, the dialog was terrible.. and it's not the actor's fault, Natalie Portman is amazing and Hayden is not bad as well (Shattered Glass anyone ?)

Can add another favorite for the PT, and that is Qui-Gon, com'on, who doesn't want to have Liam Neeson as a mentor.

Not to talk about Ian Mcdiarmid.

As an OT fan, I found the PT very entertaining, and I loved the story that was meant to be told, minus the terrible love dialogs between Padme and Anakin.

Would it have been much better if Leonardo DiCaprio would have played Anakin instead of Hayden ? I've read somewhere that it used to be Lucas first choice...

Just my 2 cents... I can imagine that lots of people hate the PT's, I'm not one of them, and I grew up with the OT.

No big deal tbh, if we used to be all the same, with the same habits and interests the world would be a boring place ;)

Edited by WerniesSturm

Why do quite a few people base their opinions behind those of the RLM. It almost seems like they can't make up their own opinions from watching the film.

I personally love all the films. Yes I have noticed as I got older that there are some mistakes and things that most people would change about the prequels, but there are also things that I would personally change in the OT.But all of this doesn't change the fact that I think these are all great movies which have given to us much more than has been taken away.

I really don't see the need to insult or mock people only because they like or don't like the film, because that is what they are just films.

People came to their own conclusions about the film, and point to the RLM video because it expresses those conclusions pretty accurately.

I concluded that these were three examples of poor film-making immediately after watching them when they came out. I only saw the RLM video for the first time last night.

And for the people who actually use the breathtakingly lazy excuse of, "they're not perfect, but who cares..." ...I wonder, do you have such miserably poor standards in other areas of your life? Are you critical of absolutely nothing?

There is good writing and bad writing. Good acting and bad acting. Good cinematography and bad cinematography. Just because these three films are on the subject of some holy cow doesn't excuse the filmmaker from criticism.

Edited by pakchooieunf

I walked out of Episode 1 disappointed at the "2hr toy commercial" that it was, and while 2 and 3 had fan service, they were also trash.

-CGI was neat, but every scene was obviously characters over a green screen, no immersion. This cheapened the feel of the movie greatly. Say what you will about models/puppets/handmade props from the older films, they look better than most of what I saw in the prequels

-Everything Plinkett said

-Yes, the story of the prequels was important, but the way it was done was terrible. JJ Abrams could have told a more compelling story than those films. With such a great IP, something better should have been made.

-The 2 line explanation of midi-chlorians was an insult and the turning point for me. My view of the entire universe has felt cheapened ever since.

-TOR universe will eventually get its own films, I wager, and they will be the true prequels that fans dream of.

Most of the people who ***** about the midichlorians don't properly understand them. They don't GIVE you powers. They are not the Force by any means whatsoever. They are the middle man. They make you AWARE of the Force; they make you able to FEEL it and recognize it, not able to USE it. Anakin had a high midichlorian count which did not indicate that he was the strongest Force user ever, it indicated that he had the potential to be. Clearly he did not fill that potential due to his own arrogance and personality flaws. If midichlorians were the Force themselves, don't you think Anakin would have been at his utmost power from the very beginning?

You can complain about them all you want, who cares, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't hate the idea of them because of this. But at least understand what the **** you're complaining about because this is the most misunderstood part of all of SW lore.

Everyone can shape their own opinions about the PT, but do not underestimate or discredit just how much they lent themselves to the lore, understanding, and scope of the entire saga. That doesn't mean you have to like them nor does it mean you have to hate them.

"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells."

―George Lucas, establishing guidelines for the Expanded Universe in 1977

^from Wookieepedia.

• 5 months later...
For example Jedi Robes. In the Original Trilogy what Obi Wan was wearing WAS NOT jedi robes. They were the robes that farmers and the such wore on Tatoinee.

It wasn't until the prequels where lucas decided all Jedi would wear those and they would be called Jedi robes.

Is that so...?

Then why does Anakins force ghost wear the same kind of jedi robe in the end of ROTJ?

I love the prequel trilogy. Sure, it has flaws but that's also true for the original trilogy. I love the whole saga with all of my heart. Empire will always be number one for me, but Revenge of the Sith comes in second. Long live Star Wars. Cheers!

Edited by Paperface

I think alot of you may have the problem of rose tinted glasses. I was too young to really be able to look into the OT when I first watched it, it was just a good action movie with lots of tech and cool effects in. I was only 9 when my dad took me to see Phantom menace. As such from being able to get them I watched them in order.

Think this gave me a better experience than from those who "knew what was going to happen". You cannot critise the PT because we all knew Obi-wan, yoda etc were going to survive. IF they'd been watched in order, you wouldn't have known that.

Watching them with little knowledge of the OT I can say it all seem pretty dam good from this end. It'd be like me watching the final Lord of the Rings movie before watching the first two then complaining that "I knew who would die/survive"

Young Anakin was annoying to some, endearing to others, tried working with boys of that age... They are annoying :p

Random point about the Jedi Robes and farmers wearing them: So? monks of religions in hot countries wear flowing robes, as do the local populus. It doesn't seem wrong as the farmers on that hot world are wearing cool robes, more a co-incidence that the flowing robes of the Jedi look similar.

Now that probably didn't make much sence but I hope you get the idea, good films all of them, lore made sense when you watched it in order, stop being so grouchy ;)

Is that so...?

Then why does Anakins force ghost wear the same kind of jedi robe in the end of ROTJ?

I love the prequel trilogy. Sure, it has flaws but that's also true for the original trilogy. I love the whole saga with all of my heart. Empire will always be number one for me, but Revenge of the Sith comes in second. Long live Star Wars. Cheers!

wow grave digger

anyhow Anakin is just wearing clothes it doesn't have to be jedi robes he is wearing, its just the same old man clothes that Obi Wan and Uncle Owen wear. Remeber originally Anakin was living on Tatoonie and Obi Wan mentions how Uncle Owen was worried Luke would "follow old Obi Wan on some damn fool crusade" which implies that Anakin was orginally much older when he left Tatoonie and he grew up with Uncle Owen.

In fact the only time Jedi robes are mentioned is when Luke enters Jaba's Palace it says he wears the uniform of a jedi knight or something which if you look at what he is wearing it is much different then what Obi Wan and Anakin wear.

Edited by jarjarloves