Is hacking currently a major problem in PVP?

CmdrShpd

I have several guildies who have basically stopped playing PVP because they feel that hacking is a major problem in the game. For the record, these are all very good players (better than me!). However, I play a fair amount of unranked PVP, and I have not seen anything that I could confidently identify as hacking going on.

Does the PVP player base over all feel that hacking is currently a big problem? If so, is it primarily confined to certain game types (e.g., ranked?) over others?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several guildies who have basically stopped playing PVP because they feel that hacking is a major problem in the game. For the record, these are all very good players (better than me!). However, I play a fair amount of unranked PVP, and I have not seen anything that I could confidently identify as hacking going on.

Does the PVP player base over all feel that hacking is currently a big problem? If so, is it primarily confined to certain game types (e.g., ranked?) over others?

There is no hacking in swtor. Theres a lot of win trading though if thats what they are talking about.

Only bads blame hacking.

I have only ever personally seen 1 hack the entire time that I've played, which was since early access. Every report of a hack that I've heard of that was legitimate has been dealt with quickly and they weren't seen again. There are a few abilities that when used in conjunction with each other look like hacks unless you actually know what's happened. The speed boosts in warzones when used with other speed boosts right afterwards may seem like speed hacks when they really aren't. Hacking does exist on this game but it is not prevalent and does not last long for the hacker.

I've seen two instances since launch of obvious speed hacking. Hacking isn't very common and most accusations of hacks are from people who don't have a full understanding of the games mechanics/abilities/talent (i.e. your friends)

Well, just the other day on the door one, we were attacking, and I was headed for the door to place the bomb, and I saw a guy over to the right in the corner by himself guarding, so I thought I'm going to kill him first....headed towards him, then he promptly backed through the wall. No I don't vid, and I didn't see character name, so when it was over I didn't want to accuse wrong person so I just let it go...but there it is.

Apart from that....this issue got me curious....I know a guy who will often make these grand statements....the beauty of the internet is that you can look up anything....so regarding this, I just did a search on hacks for swtor online. There is site after site, and they are current with current hacks. They talk about the infamous speed hack, but also teleporting and walking through walls. They also point out not to be too obvious about it, especially in pvp, because people will report you and you'll likely lose your account if caught. So just because you haven't seen it or noticed it, doesn't mean they're not doing it. That's pretty much the idea. So there you go. People are most certainly doing it, otherwise the websites wouldn't exist. There are also posts on those sites made this month meaning they are indeed active and current. Hopes this helps answer your question.

Well, just the other day on the door one, we were attacking, and I was headed for the door to place the bomb, and I saw a guy over to the right in the corner by himself guarding, so I thought I'm going to kill him first....headed towards him, then he promptly backed through the wall. No I don't vid, and I didn't see character name, so when it was over I didn't want to accuse wrong person so I just let it go...but there it is.

Apart from that....this issue got me curious....I know a guy who will often make these grand statements....the beauty of the internet is that you can look up anything....so regarding this, I just did a search on hacks for swtor online. There is site after site, and they are current with current hacks. They talk about the infamous speed hack, but also teleporting and walking through walls. They also point out not to be too obvious about it, especially in pvp, because people will report you and you'll likely lose your account if caught. So just because you haven't seen it or noticed it, doesn't mean they're not doing it. That's pretty much the idea. So there you go. People are most certainly doing it, otherwise the websites wouldn't exist. There are also posts on those sites made this month meaning they are indeed active and current. Hopes this helps answer your question.

No ones saying they don't exist. Bots are definitely a dime a dozen as you see them all over the fleet spamming to sell credits. Just saying that in pvp hacking is very very rare. Most people who get accused of hacking are being accused by players who don't know whats going on in the game. Again, I've been playing since launch and I've only seen two legitimate situations where someone was speed hacking. Many others have never seen hacking at all. Its just not common in pvp.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. These sites were not just general, but specifically aimed at swtor online, or they had an entire section devoted to it, depending on the site. But they were current, and again the idea behind doing something wrong, is indeed Not to be noticed.

It has never been very common in TOR from my experience. There seem to be way more goldsellers than before, but that's been about it.

The only hack I've ever seen was a speedhack, but that was near launch. There are likely a few exploiters around, but even that is probably rare.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. These sites were not just general, but specifically aimed at swtor online, or they had an entire section devoted to it, depending on the site. But they were current, and again the idea behind doing something wrong, is indeed Not to be noticed.

I GUARANTEE the majority of those sites are phishing sites with software that has a keylogger built into them.

Only "hack" I've seen is speed hack.

But there are a few macro exploits that are more common... Like "roll-bang", yet still pretty damn rare.

I would actually say not only are hacks NOT a major problem they are closer to non-existent.

Edited by masih_ad_dajjal

First let me respond by saying this: most players are above the board.

Now to get to the gist of the question:

1. Yes, there have been some abuses. I have seen some hacks and abuses personally -- from players who teleport from place to place to the use of macros to a player obviously trying out a bot.

2. And no. By this, I mean the game itself has some problems. With each subsequent layer of buffs that have been added from patch to patch, the methods used by the game to scale the player differences (so as to make the warzones playable and enjoyable) have not worked very well. As a result, you can see some really weird things happen. Sometimes it's just problems with game mechanics. A simple rescaling back of the differences (i.e., a minor tinker with the standard deviations related to bolster) and some of the hack complaints would disappear. (In other words, if you have the full gear, then you are less likely to complain about "hacks". If you are still grinding towards the gear, then you are more likely to complain about "hacks".)

Further to this, there are still some exploits which are not "exploits" (keeping in mind a recent comment made by Mr. Musco) that are available in warzones. These include:

- walls that you can see through,

- firetraps and acid spills that are active outside of their areas as shown in the game,

- the phenomenon of being ganked and being forced to quit a warzone because you respawn in a situation where you cannot move and hence cannot leave the respawn area (and /stuck does not fix it),

- the Engineering sniper who can take you down by sniping,

- resolve bars that fill only to 99% (allowing cc'd a second, third and yes even fourth time successively),

- the fact that you can be sleep darted yet still be actively in combat,

- being pulled (not thrown) from a platform down to the ground by a player above and finding that you are stuck to the ground,

- the mysterious technique that some Vanguards have mastered where they can pull you into a flame in Huttball yet not be anywhere near the flame,

- and so on...

You see, the warzone areas still creak with the signs of rust and lack of care that were present when the game was first introduced. So are we seeing hacks? Maybe. It's really hard to tell sometimes unless you really look closely - and even then you can't be sure if it is problems with the game itself.

Edited by Grue_Hunter
Appearance

There are certainly hacks (Eaware has said so, themselves, and there are countless videos), but they're exceedingly rare. I've probably witnessed ten or so actual instances since original beta. That's in person. I've seen more on videos. Lest we forget, the Gingerz debacle, as an example. I

Even so, the VAST MAJORITY of hack claims in this game, are simply from people who don't know all of the abilities. I haven't seen a genuine hack in probably over a year.

It's not a problem. Never was. Again, that's not to say it hasn't occurred, it's a fact that it has. But, the scale has never been worth sneezing at.

I've seen one speed hack (and for all I know it could have been really weird lag but I havent seen anything similar since) on the fleet back in early 2012. So no, it's not a problem. The problem is that people arent familiar with the classes they don't play so they sometimes interpret legitimate abilities as hacks. I remember shroud being the victim of this a couple of times.

I've played a good deal on four different servers, two of which were PvP servers (I've also guest visited the Bastion, that would make a third), on both sides of the pond and I'm probably somewhere north of 1000 valor across chars so Í think it would be weird if I hadnt come across it if it was a real issue. I have a really good connection, even when playing across the atlantic ocean so I think that might be a contributing factor. When you start asking the hackusators questions it's usually coming down to them playing on dial-up from somewhere deep down in Alabama. Also, if you've ever played a game where hacks were running rampant you'll instantly know what you're dealing with, there's no discussion.

Edited by MidichIorian

I do pvp a lot and on multiple toons and on both imp and pub. I've seen some things that definitely looked like hacks at the time, but when I came here and posted about them, someone explained them,

However, I think a couple of them are still fishy., But that's a lot alot of pvp that I've played, and some of them could probalby be better described as exploiting the mechanics of the game. ie: an operative rolling UP a platform in Huttball. But then roll also has it's negative with the roll bug trapping players inside a post and not being able to get out, etc...

Thus, my conclusion, I'm sure it happens, though in pvp, extremely rarely. I would venture that it happens more in non-pvp situations due to not being seen, it's much easier. Speed hacks when there isn't anyone around and you're eligible for a mount yet on taris.

Let's face it, if you do it in a pvp situation, you're doing in public, and you're gonna get reported and you're gonna get banned. Much better and more practical to do it planetside to get between quests faster.

these are all very good players

They are not if they think that a lot of hacking is going on in SWTOR. Honest opinion, probably just a bunch of bads who have no clue about other classes abilities or their own thus losing a lot and can't explain why, giving the imagination that other people must be hacking since they are so good, there is no other way.

end of story

There are speed hackers active in wzs for SURE.

Was in a match with several guild mates who saw it the other night ...Report people you see doing it but be certain, and leave it at that.

The only 2 times outside of the other night I know for sure they were hacking they were reported by multiple people and banned.

Is it rare, yes. Is it real, yes.

Edited by Stringray

I would suggest that the several guildies cease their delusional circle-**** and just refresh their understanding of abilities and tactics. Or if they're bored just saying so instead of making lame justifications.

Edited by Joesixxpack

There is a particular program being used at the moment to "hack"... Called "cheat eng... Something something (I won't name it fully)... But just do a google search with swtor and cheat in it and you will probably see it on the first page

I know most people are above board and don't use this... But it is out there and it is being used...

There are also a lot of false accusations of hacking... Like many have said, this is because most people don't understand the other classes and abilities as well as the built in game bugs and open exploits

Most people just get out played or come across a particularly good premade and think they must be hacking to be able to win so convincingly

I only pvp on all my 18 toons in normal and ranked... I have a lot of time on my hands and do about 4 hours a day... I have seen it all, hacks, exploits, bugs... Yes they are there... Yes it is annoying when you come across it...

If you think it's fishy, ask someone in the match... If multiple people think it's something wrong then get the name, guild, class, server, WZ, time and a description of the issue together... Then report it to Bio (although don't hold your breath...)

Usually the people who do hack aren't very good players anyway or are just doing it to troll people... Feel sorry for them as they have issues... Feel happy when you smash them anyway:p

I was in a lowbie arena yesterday where an extra player joined my team and it became 5v4. I got called a hacker: it's entirely possible someone on my team was. That was the first time I'd seen anything like that since shortly after the game's release.

I was in a lowbie arena yesterday where an extra player joined my team and it became 5v4. I got called a hacker: it's entirely possible someone on my team was. That was the first time I'd seen anything like that since shortly after the game's release.

nope, that's not a hack, a bug is a better name. I've been part of a 5v4 where my name didn't show up on the board. I didn't hack or anything, it just happened. My only guess is that people actually simultaneously queue in regards to how the timers calculate who is up next. In other words, extremely rare, but it can happen.