Updated: How to Become a Contender

ManiacDavis

Excellent article! but have to disagree on pre-made groups. Since you could not provide any facts that such groups are not taking place, or that SWTOR has taken preventive measures against such groups . In fact, a pre-made groups does not have to be the entire opposing team. It can easily be 3 or 4 players who had decided to group together through regular group finder. Happens all the time throughout MMO games.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent article! but have to disagree on pre-made groups. Since you could not provide any facts that such groups are not taking place, or that SWTOR has taken preventive measures against such groups . In fact, a pre-made groups does not have to be the entire opposing team. It can easily be 3 or 4 players who had decided to group together through regular group finder. Happens all the time throughout MMO games.

Thanks. I'm not sure I quite understand your comment about the pre-made group though. The main purpose of the "pre-made" section is to foster players who work as a team as opposed to turning objective warzones into deathmatches and arenas into lets run into the enemy and die instantly without any planning or forethought (which commonly happens). Pre-made groups definetely occur, but there strength does not lie in the fact they are a pre-made. I have seen countless pre-mades (4 or more players of same guild) completely fail and lose in a warzone.

However, good premades work together and help each other become better players, which all PvP players should strive to do. Additionally, playing with other players via voice comms allows you as a player to grow and learn from the experiences, failures, and achievements of those around you. They can save you valuable time in deciding which set bonus to use or what your rotation should be, etc. My guildmates continuly push me to be the best I can possibly be and save me from failures I would otherwise make.

Edited by ManiacDavis

I have 3.4k RW comms and 400 WZ comms, which isn't enough to get full conq or Obroan. With the way bolster currently works, what is the best way for me to get more comms without getting squished? I ask simply because I've hears either you have all PvP armour or none.

I have 3.4k RW comms and 400 WZ comms, which isn't enough to get full conq or Obroan. With the way bolster currently works, what is the best way for me to get more comms without getting squished? I ask simply because I've hears either you have all PvP armour or none.

You do not need to have full PvP armor to be viable in regular PvP. PvE gear will be bolstered up to a level slightly below conqueror.

The quickest way to get comms is to do solo ranked because it guarantees you will get an arena (which is significantly quicker than the other warzone types) and it awards ranked comms. Of course, going into ranked without full pvp gear can be frustrating. Doing regular warzones can get you conqueror gear in a relatively short amount of time. Just make sure you get 8 medals so you can maximize your commendation gain.

Edited by ManiacDavis

You do not need to have full PvP armor to be viable in regular PvP. PvE gear will be bolstered up to a level slightly below conqueror.

Now here's where I get confused. I primarily play PvE, and as such have a set of optimized gear on my operative healer which is nearly all rank 78, plus two Obroan relics (easier to get than Dread Forged). I've also managed to pick up a full set of conqueror armour (no weapons, no implants/ear), but whenever I put it on, I find that I put out noticeably less healing than in the full PvE gear+pvp relics. With bolster + PvE gear, I get about a 13% healing boost to players, vs. 17% or so with the conqueror pieces equipped, yet the gear difference between the 78 pve stuff & 65 conqueror in terms of normal stats is huge. A typical non-arena match will see me with 1.2 to 1.8 million healing, with up to 300k less on average in the pvp gear.

Am I missing something, or is the PvP gear simply not as good for healers as optimized PvE equipment?

Now here's where I get confused. I primarily play PvE, and as such have a set of optimized gear on my operative healer which is nearly all rank 78, plus two Obroan relics (easier to get than Dread Forged). I've also managed to pick up a full set of conqueror armour (no weapons, no implants/ear), but whenever I put it on, I find that I put out noticeably less healing than in the full PvE gear+pvp relics. With bolster + PvE gear, I get about a 13% healing boost to players, vs. 17% or so with the conqueror pieces equipped, yet the gear difference between the 78 pve stuff & 65 conqueror in terms of normal stats is huge. A typical non-arena match will see me with 1.2 to 1.8 million healing, with up to 300k less on average in the pvp gear.

Am I missing something, or is the PvP gear simply not as good for healers as optimized PvE equipment?

This is a heavily debated topic on the forums, and there are many facets that play into your perception of doing better with PvE gear. First, the set bonuses for operative are vastly different. PvE set bonus increases healing done to the AOE heal whereas PvP set bonus gives defensive utility. Most PvP scoundrels end up using the PvE set bonus because the 30% increase (which can double stack) is seen as vastly superior. This alone may be the reason your healing is better in PvE gear.

When bolster was first implemented, we were promised a lengthy dev post on the math behind bolster. Unfortunately, this post has never come to fruition and we are left guessing at how it actually works.

How exactly do you get the PvE set bonuses to double-stack? I tried it once with the old Campaign gear set bonus + Underworld set bonus, and got nothing. Double 2-pc set bonus would be awesome, details?

Because I consider it a bug/exploit on the same level of the recently fixed absorb relic, or double procing power relics, or vangaurds being able to guard while in DPS cell, I will not share how these feats are accomplished. I am sure there are plenty of scoundrels running around in the gear set though.

Because I consider it a bug/exploit ... of scoundrels running around in the gear set though.

On the healing side, scouperatives are the only healers that have this set bonus stacking bug, right?

P.S. Maniac Davis for mayor of PvP town! Thanks for taking ownership of this guide!

Edited by funkiestj

On the healing side, scouperatives are the only healers that have this set bonus stacking bug, right?

P.S. Maniac Davis for mayor of PvP town! Thanks for taking ownership of this guide!

I am not sure if they are the only one, but the PvE set bonus is the most beneficial for scoundrels as opposed to other classes. For example the commando set bonus (PVP: Concussion Charge CD -5 seconds and Rail Shot Crit Chance +15% v. PvE: Grav Round DMG Increase 5% and Rail Shot Increase DMG or Crit or something). I dont quite remember off of the top of my head. You can see though that both set bonuses are relatively the same wheras the Scoundrel set bonus is vastly different. The PvE increases healing whereas the PvP increases survivability (of which the scoundrel already has plenty).

Edited by ManiacDavis

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love how this propaganda dances around the real issue. I too was an old player who came back and have already left again. The game has zero improvements and now some lame cartel market to waste more money on a dying game. The game barely has 1/4th the population as when I first left. Swtor pvp is a joke. I have always felt that way. I used to have war hero gear at 50 and unfairly be able to take out 2 people with no pvp gear, quite easily. I also remember when I felt useless and it was zero fun. This is hands down one of the worst pvp systems I've ever been apart of. I do not applaud the wasted time creating this thread. The gap from new 55 to even first tier gear is way too big.

The bigger issue is that people really only enjoy pvp sub 55. Key word, enjoy. It's a game, and yet is not fun. Rather than write a wall of useless propaganda, why not come up with a fix?

Oh wait. There is the cartel market where you can accumulate over priced junk. Enjoy the dying game.

Edited by Plavix

Gotta love how this propaganda dances around the real issue. I too was an old player who came back and have already left again. The game has zero improvements and now some lame cartel market to waste more money on a dying game. The game barely has 1/4th the population as when I first left. Swtor pvp is a joke. I have always felt that way. I used to have war hero gear at 50 and unfairly be able to take out 2 people with no pvp gear, quite easily. I also remember when I felt useless and it was zero fun. This is hands down one of the worst pvp systems I've ever been apart of. I do not applaud the wasted time creating this thread. The gap from new 55 to even first tier gear is way too big.

The bigger issue is that people really only enjoy pvp sub 55. Key word, enjoy. It's a game, and yet is not fun. Rather than write a wall of useless propaganda, why not come up with a fix?

Oh wait. There is the cartel market where you can accumulate over priced junk. Enjoy the dying game.

There are plenty of threads in the PvP forums dealing with Bolster and how to "improve" the system. But at the end of the day, the system we have is the system we have and players who know how to take advantage of the system are one step ahead of the players who fail to know it. I'm quite flattered that my thread is propaganda, no where in there did I say, this is the most amazing system on the market or it is so easy to use, because if it was easy to use, there would not be a need for a thread like mine, and it wouldn't need to be pages long. With that said, the current pvp system we have is vastly better then previous systems for new players. I can already see you rolling your eyes claiming propaganda but bear with me for a second.

When the game first launched everyone was in the same bracket. Yes, that level 55 in full mid maxed gear got to play against that fresh level 10 with only 5 abilities. Now, only 55's play against 55s and so on and so forth. Additionally, once a player hits level 55 bolster will upgrade a player to predetermined point so they will have a fighting chance in pvp. Prior to bolster, you would see people wearing level 10 greens in 50 pvp and get completely 1 shotted. Is this fun for anyone, well kinda the guy who is doing the 1 shotting but it gets old quick. The way you got gear was completely random when the game launched. You received a "Battlemaster Bag" which contained a random token for a random piece of gear. I literally had 8 pieces of PvP boots before the battlemaster bag decided to give me a chest piece. Now, you simply play x amount of games giving you x amount of commendations and buy said piece for x amount. For all of these reasons, the PvP system in SWTOR is vastly better then it was at launch. Of course it is not perfect, and I have voiced my concerns of ways to improve it, but this thread is not the place.

You claim that server population is an issue. I play on a PvP server, and overall, regular and solo ranked q's are pretty common. I know that some RP or PvE servers have issues with PvP size and this may be a justifiable concern given what server you are on. My suggestion is use the free character transfer you have and go to a pvp server.

If the game isn't fun for you, easy solution, don't play it. But before you rant about the PvP systems and mechanics, offer a viable solution to how they can be improved as opposed to a blatant statement that "pvp sucks im out."

I just got my full conqueror gear. What is the first piece of Obroan I should get?

I would go with whatever is the biggest statistical upgrade. Atm, this is probably relics then probably main hand. Most people run the main stat + power proc relic. Make sure to put your conqueror gear in Orange gear so that you can augment it without worrying about trading in the conqueror pieces for obroan.

I would go with whatever is the biggest statistical upgrade. Atm, this is probably relics then probably main hand. Most people run the main stat + power proc relic. Make sure to put your conqueror gear in Orange gear so that you can augment it without worrying about trading in the conqueror pieces for obroan.

I'll wait to get my Obroan before putting it in adaptive gear and adding augments. Otherwise, thanks.

Edited by LtBombshell

By and large this is only your opinion, while I agree there are some problems with the game, I have a marvelous time @ 55, I did undergeared, semi geared, and maxed out. So to each their own, but don't act like you speak for everyone. In the end, the rest of us don't care whether you play or not, at least us who aren't sheep don't.

I think your lineage of gaming is on the wrong track. It seems your searching for more of a RTS, take the game Sacrifice by Shiny Entertainment for example. Each player starts at the same level, set before the match, pre-developed in a lobby. You can set a cap for THE max level or no cap, max being 9, and a starting. Kills progress the leveling NONE THE LESS. Breeding a set of skill. SWTOR, being an MMO, or follower MMO (which you learn-figure out, EARLY EARLY on if not instantly), you have to expect a certain amount of 'grind to gain' or 'suffer to succeed' to put it more clearly-blatantly. Meaning you will have to spend some to gain the better gear, which in turn, makes you naturally 'better' or 'more effective' than people who haven't gone through the process. I find it VERY strange that you say there is an issue with the PvP armoring-gearing system. If you said the PvE system once you hit 55 (besides basic comms/dailys) say for gaining Elite comms or Ultimate comms was screwy and needs 'MAJOR' fixing, I would agree. Because there is no form of "skill" or "grinding" that is even present in the PvE gaining of Elite + Ult comms. The missions, aren't difficult. The ONLY thing difficult, wrong, screwy about gaining these comms are that you need 8-16 people. This is an unnecessary, time wasting, ANNOYING to the general chat AND the player asking ordeal-task. Gathering that many people, WILLINGLY, not having to bribe them with something or credits. is the only MAJOR flaw I see in the game that needs IMMEDIATE OMG DRASTIC fixing. One thing I will say about PvP SETTINGS that need changing is that (IN 4V4-ARENA-TDM whatever) there should be a LIMIT of 1 healer PER team, if this is totally bizarre of an ideal or 'unbalanced', well first explain to me how being impossible to kill/win EVER in the instance is fair?, but if thats too bizarre-unbalanced, then why not in 4v4s only have 1 ADVANCED class per team. It may even need to go deeper than that as multiple classes have healing abilities, so even a static setting of interpreting a players MOST USED set in their skill tree, ex Corruption Healing for a Sorc. So that's the ONLY healer on that team, for 4v4. Because this flaw is truly affecting Ranked Warzones, which is not necessarily a small deal. So I disagree with your beliefs in WHY its flawed, but agree that it is flawed, but what game isn't? Can only pray BW/EA catch on and attempt to fix these problems, BY INFORMING THEM and giving them TIME, not quitting. Very nice guide by the way, very helpful, couldn't figure out how the f to augment until I stumbled upon this. Thank you!:p

Maniac, in the guide you said there would be a section in mod-ripping and why it's a good idea, but there's no section on mod-ripping and why it's a good idea :(

It is a work in progress, i'm currently in finals for law school so when I get a free moment I'll update the guide. But for a sneak peek... the base mods that the pvp gear give you are not best in slot, it is advisable to get power heavy mods (For DPS). In addition, there is no reason to keep that ugly looking Obroan gear, go find a nice legacy set so you can gear two characters at once (you can mail legacy gear between characters even if the mods/armorings/enhancements are bound). Lastly, there are certain PvE combinations of mods that bolster better than pvp gear, it is truly an art form that only elite players take advantage of.

• 1 month later...

I wish I had read this guide prior to reaching level 55 and before blowing all of my war zone comms and ranked ones on adrenals, medpacs, and planetary comms. #facepalm

For the bit about consumables:

Are you able to RE war zone medpacs and adrenals with Biochem? That would be sick and save me a ton of additional comms moving forward.

I wish I had read this guide prior to reaching level 55 and before blowing all of my war zone comms and ranked ones on adrenals, medpacs, and planetary comms. #facepalm

For the bit about consumables:

Are you able to RE war zone medpacs and adrenals with Biochem? That would be sick and save me a ton of additional comms moving forward.

I believe you can get the adrenal schematic from the PvP vendor. As far as I know, you can't craft the PvP medpac.

That said, after a week or two of doing WZs on a toon I usually have WZ medpacs and adrenals coming out my ears -- probably because I play until I clear my daily then switch to another toon. I easily have 1000 of each across various toons.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.swtor.com/r/yLnxcK lock at this epic fail

Do not click the above link. It is SWTOR referral program fraud.

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.