Sniper 2.0 PTS!

paowee

In your hybrid parse, was this pretty much your rotation?

1. IP > CG > RS > CD > Cull > EP > SoS > Laze Snipe/Ambush > Cull

2. IP > CG > RS > CD > Cull > SoS > Laze Snipe/Ambush > RS (if laze snipe) > Cull

And how do you do orbital rotations? I usually pop it after the first cull and fit in a SoS, ambush, EP, or two RS depending on energy.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your hybrid parse, was this pretty much your rotation?

1. IP > CG > RS > CD > Cull > EP > SoS > Laze Snipe/Ambush > Cull

2. IP > CG > RS > CD > Cull > SoS > Laze Snipe/Ambush > RS (if laze snipe) > Cull

And how do you do orbital rotations? I usually pop it after the first cull and fit in a SoS, ambush, EP, or two RS depending on energy.

Sounds about right! Orbital without AP i put it either after SoS if i feel i have enough energy from dot crits and when i know my dots wont run out during 2nd cull. Or after Cull when i feel the above might happen.

Edited by paowee

As a MM and as the trees stand right now, is it worth while to try and force CD into your rot?

They reduced the energy cost of Corrosive Dart in 2.0, but also nerfed the damage. Assuming you're going by a 13.5 second rotation, you are better off not using it.

I've been useing a rot of

Snipe> FT> SoS> FT> Snipe> Snipe> FT> Ambush> FT

And Shatter sot as needed. Replaceing the Solo snipe with TD when gets in Kill zone. Not sure if this is the best rotation or not but it seems to keep the best abilities on cooldown. I know lots of people recommand useing OS on cd was well. But anyone else think to takes a bit to long to trigger and target, to use in a rotation outside of starting one anyway?

I've been useing a rot of

Snipe> FT> SoS> FT> Snipe> Snipe> FT> Ambush> FT

And Shatter sot as needed. Replaceing the Solo snipe with TD when gets in Kill zone. Not sure if this is the best rotation or not but it seems to keep the best abilities on cooldown. I know lots of people recommand useing OS on cd was well. But anyone else think to takes a bit to long to trigger and target, to use in a rotation outside of starting one anyway?

OS is always worth it, especially for MM, unless the target is expected to move in the next 10 or so seconds.

But roughly, even for leth at 3 sec cast with nothing buffing it its worth it.

But 2 sec/that unmitigated (elemental) damage, use that!! Many people sync it with sniper volley for energy/execution reason with MM.

The Seek Cover talent gives you a 50% move speed and CC immunity "when Entrench ends." The Portable Bunker galent gives you three seconds of Entrench when you roll forward into cover. Does Seek Cover proc off of the Portable Bunker three-second Entrench?

YES. This way, if you want, you can use your normal entrench to extend your speed buff after the original one expires, by that time you are not far from another covered escape

YES. This way, if you want, you can use your normal entrench to extend your speed buff after the original one expires, by that time you are not far from another covered escape

That's highly mobile. Well, that settled that space in the spec. And rolling forward to close the gap and landing in a free three second Entrench? Very nice... especially if every time you do you get a speed buff right after. Nice for advancing to nodes, in Huttball, escaping melees, etc.

That's highly mobile. Well, that settled that space in the spec. And rolling forward to close the gap and landing in a free three second Entrench? Very nice... especially if every time you do you get a speed buff right after. Nice for advancing to nodes, in Huttball, escaping melees, etc.

for this reason i recommend this build if you are going MM.

It has literally everything you need to wreak havoc.

my only question is this: does this speed buff work outside of combat? hydraulic overrides for example provides 0 speed buff out of combat. You cannot use it to get faster to an objective. we should test it.

Edited by NoTomorrow

my only question is this: does this speed buff work outside of combat? hydraulic overrides for example provides 0 speed buff out of combat. You cannot use it to get faster to an objective. we should test it.

That build spec is exactly what I run on PTS, although I havent been online in several days.

In the end, I'm not yet convinced adding alarcity is worth what you lose otherwise. With the global nerf of stats overall...

Seek cover does work in or out of combat.

Edited by islander

Just curious what your thoughts are on this build.

I've been running with it on the PTS and I like it a lot. Basically, I really wanted the extra 15% on OS, so I looked over what I could give up. I also stacked alacrity and power and no crit on my gear. Here's what I gave up:

1. Imperial Demarcation (this is a PvE build so ...)

2. Cover screen (glass cannon)

3. Debilitating shots (doesn't work on bosses)

4. Lethality (anti-crit build)

Hello Snipers! I hope you don't mind a Gunslinger popping in to throw out a question or two on a 2.0 build.

I've noticed that Marksman seems to be doing pretty well in PvE now; nearly up to the level of Lethality/Engineering hybrid. There was an older Marksman/Engineering hybrid spec I remember hearing and reading about that some players liked to use pre-1.2. Just for fun, I have been parsing the following spec:

MM/Engineer Hybrid: 28/18/0

The idea goes off that MM doesn't seem to be as crit dependent as the other specs, so neither should this hybrid. This means a player could run a power set (seeing as crit rating is bad on the PTS as you all know) and possibly be more successful than some of the other specs. However, I'm not that good with MM (hence me not linking any of my own parses), so I don't think I'm playing this MM/Engineer hybrid quite right. There seems to be a problem with energy management due to Explosive Probe costing quite a bit now in 2.0.

My hope is that those of you more familiar with MM, and possibly this spec, could parse it on the Ops dummy and tell me what you think of the spec, and possibly put up some parses for me to look at. From my own tests the hybrid seems to be similar to MM's damage, or I'm just piss poor at MM. :D

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Edited by AngelFluttershy

Hello Snipers! I hope you don't mind a Gunslinger popping in to throw out a question or two on a 2.0 build.

I've noticed that Marksman seems to be doing pretty well in PvE now; nearly up to the level of Lethality/Engineering hybrid. There was an older Marksman/Engineering hybrid spec I remember hearing and reading about that some players liked to use pre-1.2. Just for fun, I have been parsing the following spec:

MM/Engineer Hybrid: 28/18/0

The idea goes off that MM doesn't seem to be as crit dependent as the other specs, so neither should this hybrid. This means a player could run a power set (seeing as crit rating is bad on the PTS as you all know) and possibly be more successful than some of the other specs. However, I'm not that good with MM (hence me not linking any of my own parses), so I don't think I'm playing this MM/Engineer hybrid quite right. There seems to be a problem with energy management due to Explosive Probe costing quite a bit now in 2.0.

My hope is that those of you more familiar with MM, and possibly this spec, could parse it on the Ops dummy and tell me what you think of the spec, and possibly put up some parses for me to look at. From my own tests the hybrid seems to be similar to MM's damage, or I'm just piss poor at MM. :D

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

The way Scum and Villany boss encounters are built, Marksmen Snipers WILL give Hybrid snipers a run for their money e.g. Styrak and the Puzzle boss in my experience.

I've tried that Hybrid build and found that i did less DPS. That may also be due to the fact that i parsed it less than 10 times and was not comfortable with the spec yet. Needless to say I respecd back to full MM and did not bother testing out any other hybrid builds >_< (not enough time!) lol But ill try this out in the dummy and raids again and post here what i can.

I am also a bit biased towards full MM because every ~minute you can get a fast casted Orbital Strike not to mention you can go to town on your energy bar and not have to worry because of Sniper volley :p It also has an easier rotation (no DoT to track whatsoever haha

The way Scum and Villany boss encounters are built, Marksmen Snipers WILL give Hybrid snipers a run for their money e.g. Styrak and the Puzzle boss in my experience.

I've tried that Hybrid build and found that i did less DPS. That may also be due to the fact that i parsed it less than 10 times and was not comfortable with the spec yet. Needless to say I respecd back to full MM and did not bother testing out any other hybrid builds >_< (not enough time!) lol But ill try this out in the dummy and raids again and post here what i can.

I am also a bit biased towards full MM because every ~minute you can get a fast casted Orbital Strike not to mention you can go to town on your energy bar and not have to worry because of Sniper volley :p It also has an easier rotation (no DoT to track whatsoever haha

Thanks Paowee! I don't play full MM a lot on live but I've been toying with it on the PTS and it does feel pretty nice now. Plus all those fast OSs are great, hence why I hope the MM/Engineer hybrid works well because they would be a OS wrecking machine!

I've said it once already, be leary of hybrids with the comeing exp. Their doing all the can to kill all the hybrind specs in the game. Not saying it wont work. But if it does, don't be suprised if the come back and hit it hard witht he nerf bat.

I've said it once already, be leary of hybrids with the comeing exp. Their doing all the can to kill all the hybrind specs in the game. Not saying it wont work. But if it does, don't be suprised if the come back and hit it hard witht he nerf bat.

It's still fun to experiment with them regardless, and if they make them useless so be it. There are three good specs available as it is.

As far as I can tell from my slinger experience on PTS, the engineer/lethality sniper is still viable, if not the best build. Even on a training dummy the parses are among the highest. But the most important thing is: It hast the best sustained damage in "real life" (especially single target) fights with e.g. a lot of movement phases: Apart from the Cull and SOS phases you can continue your rotation even in phases with constant movement like having to evade voids on the ground etc.

The hardest thing to pull off on live had been energy management: That was the reason why on my German server most slingers soon gave up on hybrid, because they just couldn't get their rotation to work for more than 3 minutes. It took me 4 weeks to pull off constant hybrid rotations with sustained damage of 2150 dps for 20 minutes without ever running out of energy.

And now energy is not an issue on PTS anymore dute to alacrity and energy cost reductions of the core ablities...

As long as Lethality remains one of the better PvP specs i'm happy...my server is filled with underperforming full WH nubs running Marksman in PvP. Such a garbage low skill cap, PvE-like play style that is fitting for keyboard turners and clickers. Cover system and cast times are for scrubs, shoot on the run or go home.

I may have to dust my sniper off in 2.0 assuming Leth is still the *******.

Cover system and cast times are for scrubs, shoot on the run or go home..

that has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen written on these forums (unless it's a troll at which point it's one of the worst trolls i've ever seen). Going into cover prevents being pulled, leapt to or interrupted (i.e. cull).

If you're not using one of the huge advantages of being a sniper, you might as well just roll a Merc or Sorc dps.

Edited by thefishdude

that has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen written on these forums (unless it's a troll at which point it's one of the worst trolls i've ever seen). Going into cover prevents being pulled, leapt to or interrupted (i.e. cull).

If you're not using one of the huge advantages of being a sniper, you might as well just roll a Merc or Sorc dps.

And prevent leapers from...well leaping in pvp.

Lethality is less cover dependent, true. More mobile, very true. But if you can stay in cover, regardless of spec, you stay in cover.

And prevent leapers from...well leaping in pvp.

Lethality is less cover dependent, true. More mobile, very true. But if you can stay in cover, regardless of spec, you stay in cover.

Yeah I run full Leth now and while I am more mobile and I like it I still dont go running all over. Plus with Cover Escape omg itll be beautiful