Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Well, SWTOR does have more story emphasis than WoW, in that you can't escape from it (unless you try really hard) but the actual maintenance thereof? Ehh... :S

Hopefully Makeb will herald a new era of story updates. It's highly unlikely, of course.

For an MMO it might have quite a bit of story, but for a Bioware game it's pretty light.

Ashley always died on me, since I could never get her past Virmire. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's another reason why the idea of seperating class from romance content would be working. The Captain and Corso, well, I dig them and really hope to see them bloom, but I could live with them re-inventing the concept for that cause. I know romance is not all this game is about, but for the female Consular for instance the romance is kind of pointless anyway, since she's bound to the Jedi Code. Unless they find a way around that, storywise, her romances are just really.... unfulfilled.

You don't really have to follow the code. You can always go dark and just forget about it.

Edited by Revanchis

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my 2 cents, but working same sex into this game would be very nice. I mean, Skyrim had it. :D

That's why we're here :) . We see other, extremely popular games doing it, we see there's no reason for this game not to, and we want it in this game too. Also, the fact that this is the first Bioware game AND the first KOTOR game (the 2nd one wasnt made by Bioware, but they used the same basic romance system) to not feature any lesbian LIs at all is completely inexcusable. Its an extremely popular option, thats why its been in every KOTOR game up until this one, and in so many other more modern games, there's nothing controversial about it at all.

Ultimately there are so many different ways to introduce this into the game that it should've happened well over a year ago. They can just turn off all the gender-checks that disable the romances and flirts, that's the simplest solution, the one they should've done over a year ago. They could introduce a new race (they seem to like doing that from time to time) that looks and sounds female (like the all-female race in the ME series) and let players choose between male and female at the character creation screen, which would effect nothing about the character's appearance or voice, only who they could or couldn't romance/flirt with. That would actually be the coolest way of doing it, because I mean, who wouldn't want an Asari-like race in the game? :) The bottom line is theres lots of really good ways to make everybody happy, hopefully they'll pick the best one and implement it ASAP.

I'd also like to make a more general, overall point about the game, and the storylines. I've only played 2 all the way through, the SI and JK, so I can't comment on all the storylines (although of those two, I found the SI more interesting, so much fascinating stuff happening, the JK storyline was cool too of course, but seemed a bit too straightforward, not as much uniqueness as the SI one, and also the ending was more satisfying for the SI one but I wont discuss that due to possible spoilers), but the overall point is, the story IS the game. Just as the original KOTOR was a traditional RPG that played like an action RPG, this is an MMO that plays like a traditional RPG. The story is the reason we play. I'm sure there's a fair number of people who only care about the MMO elements, the PvP stuff and such, and I do really enjoy the mini-games, the 'warzones' as they call them, but ultimately we play for the story. Throughout the game, whichever class you play, you're constantly given choices that effect things in your own personal world. Whether or not you save lives, bring about peace, or kill people and bring about war, etc. and in none of those storylines are your choices limited in any way whatsoever by your gender. Obviously the romances should be no different. They're part of the overall storyline, and they should be part of it in any way you want them to be. If you dont want to romance anybody thats fine, but if you do and you want her to be a prominent part of your storyline, that should be an option as well. I wouldn't be playing this game at all, I never would have, were it not for the fact that it was Bioware, which meant great stories, and it was also SUPPOSED to mean romances that I was actually allowed to play, rather than read about other people enjoying them while I wasn't allowed to. My request would be make the romances like the entire rest of the game, gender-irrelevant, and give us more stories as well. We get 3 chapters for each character, its time for chapter 4, and then beyond. The storyline is the cake, the romance is the icing on the cake. I want some icing on my cake, and I also want more cake :) . Two specific things I'd like to happen at some point in the future, I'd like the chance to become the Emperor for my SI character (possibly the other dark-side classes also, not sure if they would be equally appropriate or not as I haven't played their storylines all the way through yet), and the chance to romance Satele Shan for my JK (I imagine all my light-side characters would like that option, that seems like a pretty easy call even having not played their storylines all the way through yet) . Did I mention that Satele should be romancable by all? I think that would be implied :) .

One question. Do we know any more details about this? Are they planning to put in the SGR into the existing companion storylines? Or are they planning to add continuation of current storylines and only implement it there? Edited by Path-x

Just my 2 cents, but working same sex into this game would be very nice. I mean, Skyrim had it. :D

Skyrim had the ability to say to a select number of NPCs "I'm interested, marry me."

That NPC would then move into your home, cook you a meal once per day, set up a shop and give you some money from it (100g a day), and let you buy and sell items to them. The only change in their dialogue is that they now refer to you as "love" and "dear" - they don't refer to your sex in any marriage related dialogue (which means one size fits all dialogue). It isn't anywhere near the depth of Bioware's romances (even though those aren't particularly deep either, but it's like comparing a puddle to an Olympic sized swimming pool).

Besides, you still can't marry Kir... err Serana in Dawnguard. (Damn it Laura Bailey, why does your voice have to be so sexy?) :(

Edited by Zandilar

One question. Do we know any more details about this? Are they planning to put in the SGR into the existing companion storylines? Or are they planning to add continuation of current storylines and only implement it there?
Basic summarization: We don't know yet. They've not told us directly, only that more SGR options would be coming. Not with Makeb though, these will only be NPC romances.

So what you mentioned could both be down the road, but we don't know yet. They haven't ruled out overhauling of old companions so I'm still hoping it's the case.

Skyrim had the ability to say to a select number of NPCs "I'm interested, marry me."

That NPC would then move into your home, cook you a meal once per day, set up a shop and give you some money from it (100g a day), and let you buy and sell items to them. The only change in their dialogue is that they now refer to you as "love" and "dear" - they don't refer to your sex in any marriage related dialogue (which means one size fits all dialogue). It isn't anywhere near the depth of Bioware's romances (even though those aren't particularly deep either, but it's like comparing a puddle to an Olympic sized swimming pool).

QFT. It just annoys me when people refer to Skyrim romances in a positive way - that monstrosity in full dwarven plate (which annihilates any gender anyway) and kept calling me "mein Schatz" (German for "my precious", greetings from Gollum), while getting lost every other minute and stomping into every single trap on the way didn't make heart fill particularly light. And I would not go as far as being called "my precious" every other second is particularly romantic. Skyrim is a gorgeous game, it didn't quite captivate me as Morrowwind, but it's still gorgeous. But certainly not for romances. IMHO they should have let them be.

Then again, to many players a romance is more a kind of achievement. It's not important how or even it actually takes place in-game, important is the step "screwed the entire crew" in the profile.

Then again, to many players a romance is more a kind of achievement. It's not important how or even it actually takes place in-game, important is the step "screwed the entire crew" in the profile.

Which is made evident when people refer to the romance as "a fade-to-black sex scene", as if that's what people are discussing in these threads.

I'd say most people in the thread aren't just looking for "fade-to-black" scene with romance.

I have no clue why people keep bringing up that strawman.

Because they assume that all romantic relationships only ever involve sex and that sex is the only reason you'd ever want to spend time with another person.

I can't understand why half the people clamouring for Story updates don't see romance options as Story. Or is it because it's no the "right" kind of story? What's also cute to see is people whinging over the SGR [Flirt] options in Makeb as being a waste of resources, but not the inevitable OGR [Flirt]s - maybe OGR [Flirt]s just spring out the ground, fully formed, like dwarves.

Because they assume that all romantic relationships only ever involve sex and that sex is the only reason you'd ever want to spend time with another person.

I can't understand why half the people clamouring for Story updates don't see romance options as Story. Or is it because it's no the "right" kind of story? What's also cute to see is people whinging over the SGR [Flirt] options in Makeb as being a waste of resources, but not the inevitable OGR [Flirt]s - maybe OGR [Flirt]s just spring out the ground, fully formed, like dwarves.

sadly I'm afraid we all know the answer to that one. :/

Sex is not the hinge of my desire for same sex romances in the game. I won't go on a tangent, but let me just point out that sex is a part of life, and that in the end almost all romantic relationships (aside from those involving asexuals, I mean) will involve sex at some point to one degree or another. (And I totally support the idea of asexual romantic representation in games!)

For me - Jan'neria isn't celibate. At this point I just have to assume her flings all happen off camera, and that she's good enough at hiding them that no one ever catches on.

Without going onto another huge tangent about realism, the Star Wars Universe, and Earth Human attitudes towards sex - there is some immaturity to this (former in your quote) attitude, which is caught up in all our baggage to do with sex. It also has to do with the fact that a lot of people seem to think that Star Wars is aimed at kids, and that romance of any kind should be kept away from them until they're 21 and/or married.

Here's another possible tangent - attitudes towards romance in non-romance genre fiction.

To be fair, I have seen a few detractors also saying they wished that BioWare would just leave romances alone, and not add to them, since they're all a waste of time and resources. But yes, it almost always seems to be aimed at SGRs without OGRs getting a mention. Next time someone comes into the thread with this "SGR is a waste" attitude, I might just point blank ask them about OGRs, and why it's not a waste as well. (I can predict their answer too - it will be "because only a minotiry want SGRs." :rolleyes:)

And if this is overly rambling or makes no sense, I apologise. I didn't get to sleep until 6am this morning, and was up by 10am . I hate nights like that. :(

Why is this even an issue? Just put in the game and be done with it xD Bioware has done it before, they have no problem with homosexual relationships. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt put same-sex relationships.

Someone actually already answered this question but its in the previous thread, before exceeding the maximum posts, but I won't be cruel and make you look for it :D In short, Bioware Austin only came into being to handle SWTOR. The original Bioware we know and love has done it before but Austin is a bit of a different story.

Personally, I agree with the first half, just put it in the game and be done with it, but unfortunately I have been seeing the problem all along as I read over posts. No matter what they do, including doing nothing, someone is going to feel punished, whether they complain "not fair," "forcing me" or "I don't want it in my game" etc. Damned if they do damned if they don't. I think I would rather have Darth Baras sit on me than be in Bioware's shoes right now.

It's hard to tell how much someone is kidding via text. So that's on me I suppose.

What smaller head? :confused: Do you think I'm a guy? That's rather funny that you think I am.

In that case, you can have my man card. I never got handed one in the first place. :D

I think my poor husband would be confused if I was a guy.

I'm a lady (born and raised) and I feel that way. I don't speak for all women, and I don't think anyone should speak for an entire group/gender. It's early Sunday morning here and I'm hanging out with my hubby listening to White Zombie. So we do have lives and we aren't all male. ;)

Not being too emotional, just agreeing with Revan's point.

Edited by natashina

Sex is not the hinge of my desire for same sex romances in the game. I won't go on a tangent, but let me just point out that sex is a part of life, and that in the end almost all romantic relationships (aside from those involving asexuals, I mean) will involve sex at some point to one degree or another. (And I totally support the idea of asexual romantic representation in games!)

I'm not saying that sex isn't important to a relationship, just that it's not the be-all, end-all that people are assuming when it comes to the romances in this game (particularly when the player is cut out of those scenes).

The above posts prove the point they think with the smaller head first, they are trying to look sensitive and any man on his right mind knows the above is quick way to get your man card pulled

I was told I lost my man card when I started watching My Little Pony.

But they didn't know I let my big sister dress me up in girls' clothing when I was little, that I sing along to "Part of Your World" and "I Won't Say (I'm In Love)", and that I own a couple of Backstreet Boys albums :p

in other news, a 'nice' conversation on aldeeran yesterday that started with 'ew gay to come soon' turned into 'all women want an ******e', one guy complaining about never gettign laid because he's a nice guy and another guy claiming he's 'friends with many women' and apparently 'fkced them all'

mind you, this conversation occured at about 11pm server time on a saturday.

when I chirped in saying 'when a girl tells you that you're a nice guy and makes it obvious that she's not interested it means you lack personality' I was promptly called a ***.

oh joy. oh joy.

it's exactly these things why I sometimes HATE bw austin for not putting sgra in from the start, so these people would have never touched the game to begin with.

(yes, I want to pretend all the people who enjoy the same games I do are cool people. naive, I know :( )

in other news, a 'nice' conversation on aldeeran yesterday that started with 'ew gay to come soon' turned into 'all women want an ******e', one guy complaining about never gettign laid because he's a nice guy and another guy claiming he's 'friends with many women' and apparently 'fkced them all'

when I chirped in saying 'when a girl tells you that you're a nice guy and makes it obvious that she's not interested it means you lack personality' I was promptly called a ***.

oh joy. oh joy.

it's exactly these things why I sometimes HATE bw austin for not putting sgra in from the start, so these people would have never touched the game to begin with.

(yes, I want to pretend all the people who enjoy the same games I do are cool people. naive, I know :( )

Yes, bw clearly should have dealt with this issue dragon-age style , so that we wouldn't be having such problems...on the other side, I can't say I'm not amused every time I see a dumb reaction on sgra....you know, comedy theater...as to being called a*** after expressing your views, I wouldn't expect anything better from such people...although I must admit they have a small point. Some part of what you said made no sense. It happens a lot, but is , imo, a really nasty/insulting thing to do..and explaining it made you seem like one of those who do it, so I can (understand is too strong but anyway) understand their reaction...why on earth would a kind person tell you ,you are nice when they think you lack personality?? What's nice about lacking personality? Honesty would be more educative and productive....and now we are swimming in seas, far away from the topic of this thread...

It's hard to tell how much someone is kidding via text. So that's on me I suppose.

What smaller head? :confused: Do you think I'm a guy? That's rather funny that you think I am.

In that case, you can have my man card. I never got handed one in the first place. :D

I think my poor husband would be confused if I was a guy.

I'm a lady (born and raised) and I feel that way. I don't speak for all women, and I don't think anyone should speak for an entire group/gender. It's early Sunday morning here and I'm hanging out with my hubby listening to White Zombie. So we do have lives and we aren't all male. ;)

Not being too emotional, just agreeing with Revan's point.

Touche :cool:

I was told I lost my man card when I started watching My Little Pony.

But they didn't know I let my big sister dress me up in girls' clothing when I was little, that I sing along to "Part of Your World" and "I Won't Say (I'm In Love)", and that I own a couple of Backstreet Boys albums :p

lol awesome

oh joy. oh joy.

It's reasons like that, that I'm glad I just turn off General Chat.

It's reasons like that, that I'm glad I just turn off General Chat.

that was actually the worst I've ever seen. usually it's really not so bad and if it happens it happens on the fleet. I think the reason why it went as long as it did - and as far as it did - was mostly because there weren't many people on the planet (I think it was about 40) and nobody in chat was talking at all. there were 3-4 people ranting about not getting laid/getting laid all the time and randomly moaning about the new 'gay planet'. it happened out of nowhere, too, so I wouldn't even be too surprised if it was copperfield initiating it (copperfield is on my server and I can assure you he is not just trolling the forums but our server too :rolleyes: .. but I don't want to accuse him further, it might have just been some random idiot, after all)

Its actually kind've funny, in an ironic sort of way, how all the stereotypes and generalizing done by anyone playing the game is done 'because' of the way things have been handled. My mind keeps going back to Skyrim, because its part of a series that I always enjoyed, it was never one of my favorites but the games were reasonably fun, and when I played the most recent version I had no idea that they had romances at all (none of the previous ones did), much less that my female character could marry a female NPC. Thats because it wasn't a big deal, you could romance anybody you wanted, it made things easier for the programmers and more fun for the players, it was a win-win for everybody. The fact that they took the exact opposite approach in SWTOR is the reason why people are complaining way more about way less now. In Skyrim, literally every romancable NPC's sexual preference was whatever you wanted it to be. Nobody complained, because everybody had things their own way. Here, all the NPC's were set to straight-only, and now suddenly they're adding a certain number (higher or lower than 2 we dont even know) who aren't straight-only, and it generates controversy. There would've been no controversy if it had been done Skyrim/DA style all along, people would've realized that everybody was getting exactly what they wanted, and it wouldnt have been a big deal. If they finally came out and announced 'We're going to give everyone what they want, we're going the Skyirim/DA2 route from here on in' and let us romance all the characters that everybody else can already romance, there'd be a day or two where a few people would complain, then it'd be back to business as usual, that would be the end of it. Instead they're dragging this whole thing out, little by little, pretty much manufacturing and then maximizing the controversy, all while giving us about as little as they possibly can, for no logical reason whatsoever. It's long past time that they finally did the right, and logical, thing and brought the romances up to the Skyrim/DA standards, its easy enough to do, and everybody wins.