Please end the spam bots now they are whispering people...

DarthEnrique

There's only so much that can be done at any given time. These spammers and credit farming bots get rebuilt faster than they can get rid of them. Report them, ignore them and move on, there's no sense in getting your knickers in a twist over something this trivial.

My ignore list is full! So yes there is reason to get knockers in a twist when you can't block this crap!

Knickers. Knockers twisted would be well, let's just say most likely physically impossible for most. ;)

Rotate out your /ignore list. I've not had to do it here but I have in past games.

The whispers are nothing new as there were doing that last year before BW did that huge Credit Sting. lol

Just block them. You can purge your ignore list every day when you login as those names are deleted & gone every day. The same seller doesn't use the same name for more than one day. So in fact all you need to do is every day login, clear yesterday's spammer names & start anew.

Not quite sure why so many ppl get their knickers in a bunch over this though. Just move on. BW is doing all they can right now. Probably compiling data so they can do another sting soon.

My ignore list is full! So yes there is reason to get knockers in a twist when you can't block this crap!

I agree, gets pretty annoying.

They could help minimise it by allowing us to have much bigger ignore lists and also have the ignore lists legacy wide.

There's nothing worse than switching toons and then having to spend time ignore them all over again.

No matter how insignificant some people think it is, this whole spamming in gen chat, mail and now private msging is harrassment. It's like those telemarketing people who constantly call you to sell you stuff. It's annoying and time consuming and they are invading my enjoyment of the game.

At least in Australia we have an option to be on a register that blocks those callers lol. For the life of me I don't know why you wouldn't be on it. lol.

Knickers. Knockers twisted would be well, let's just say most likely physically impossible for most. ;).

To be fair, twisted knockers might be a more accurate comparison of the discomfort involved that some express.

Ignore lists should empty as the offending spammers get deleted (which in the past at least, removes them from ignore lists too). If you're running out of room due to idiots, I recommend just turning off general chat when you get fed up, rather than using ignore.

Also, as strange as it sounds, probably better not to report. The faster/more frequently a report happens, the sooner a specific spam-character might go away, but it just means the sooner you'll have to ignore another when it's replaced.

At least in Australia we have an option to be on a register that blocks those callers lol. For the life of me I don't know why you wouldn't be on it. lol.

We have that in the US, too. But most telemarketers these days are into illegal practices anyway, so it's not like they pay it any attention.

Okay spamming the fleet chat fine, emails, okay, but now they are whispering people, what the hell? This is getting out of hand... Please do something about this Bioware...

/whisper spam is not new. It comes and goes. Report them and move on. Believe it or not, reporting spam in game is a lot more effective then complaining about it in general forum.

I simply ignore it, if I even have my chat panel open to see it in the first place.

Sorry, but that is the cost of a f2p game. You cant have one without the other. I hate spammers, but nowadays referral link spammers are worse then credit spammers in chat. Mail, I could care less about, imjust add to spam.

GW2 doesn't have a F2p System and they have them.........

Sorry, but that is the cost of a f2p game. You cant have one without the other. I hate spammers, but nowadays referral link spammers are worse then credit spammers in chat. Mail, I could care less about, imjust add to spam.

This has nothing to do with f2p game. We had this issue on Galaxies and it was never free. We had credit spammers send mail and whispers but it was based on the server you were on.

Wouldn't it help to block all links and website names of the companys in the mails and chat? Just an idea :confused::o

But it would make helping new players looking for information through chat more difficult, I regularly mention Dulfy.net in genchat. They already have a thing about website names which is why the mail ones have the names spelled out in 133t 5P34K and with s p a c e s.

This has nothing to do with f2p game. We had this issue on Galaxies and it was never free. We had credit spammers send mail and whispers but it was based on the server you were on.

SWG was a cluster**** anyways. SO really don't care about that. But generally speaking, you will always have larger amounts of credit spam on F2P games because all they have to do is make another free account if they are caught.

Yes you still get some credit spam in P2P games, but generally it isn't near the issue it is on F2P.

You can try to argue semantics all you want...

So what would you like them to do? You haven't offered any suggestions.

This.

The fact is the credits spam is no different than email spam or malware. The process goes something like this:

1. Spammers start spamming
  2. enough reports come in to require some sort of response
  3. BW bans accounts and takes credits
  4. Spammers create new accounts
  5. rinse and repeat.

The only way to eliminate the credits spam is to ban the person, but there is no way to ban a person because a person can change:

• screenname
  • IP address
  • ISP

and in the eyes of the game system that person is not the same as the one they banned.

But it would make helping new players looking for information through chat more difficult, I regularly mention Dulfy.net in genchat. They already have a thing about website names which is why the mail ones have the names spelled out in 133t 5P34K and with s p a c e s.

Yes then add those names too. Its better than ban endless names in my oppinion. And if the link isn't good to read at least they loose their interest. :p

Edited by Moonshift

• 2 months later...
So what would you like them to do? You haven't offered any suggestions.

Actually I have, multiple times, and I will re-post it here:

Currently reporting is pointless, it sits in the queue for up to a month then magically goes away on patch day, unresolved. The one thing that reporting does do is to fill up your report queue up so you cannot report other issues.

Here is what would work and the spammers would never know. First is to change the mail interface adding check boxes and one number selector, or put it into preferences (see list below). Second is to make it so emails that fail to get to you are not reported in any way to the sender so they keep spamming into a void, allowing them to think they are effective while just spinning their gears without any hope of progress. Third is when we do report a spammer, after the 6th report all their emails (spam) should be removed from the system until GM reviewed and actioned. Finally, give us the ability to filter our email by:

• Level of sender - allow us to insert a number for the lowest level character we accept email from
  • Accept email from guild (guild officers on by default, top 2 ranks)
  • Accept email from friends list (has to be your friends list, not theirs)
  • Accept email from everyone
  • Accept email from system and Legacy always active by default

The key here is the anonymity factor, don't let them know they are blocked or they will just start looking for workarounds.

Other factors:

When a player sees and reports Jjjkd, a level 1 toon camped on a mailbox for hours at the newb start point, well ban them before they have sent spam for hours or days. Don't let the report sit in the report queue for a month.

When a player reports a RMT fence on the GTN, don't let it sit in queue for a month. Get on it ASAP and keep those credits from ever making it onto the sales floor.

Secure your servers better, kill the data mining, when I log in a character that has not been on in a month and find multiple daily spams from the last few days, makes you wonder how they got the names.

An anonymous feature for your character would be great so they cannot get your name via generic /who searches.

And finally, allow us to have basically the same filters for whispers (level, guild, friends), I really hate getting credit selling spam whispers when I am in a fight.

Edited by katanaacredus