Crit Crafted Orange Gear Needs to be done differently

-Cybrax-

In patch 1.2 Bioware has announced that they will be adding the ability to remove armor slots from epic and pvp sets so we can customize our characters appearances. This is a wonderful idea and I am happy they are implementing it. I find the idea of being able to customize a unique look for my character extremely exciting.

Emannuel Lusinchi (Technical Design Director): Yes, for Game Update 1.2, this is correct. Crafted gear is, in theory, superior to endgame gear obtained in other ways. However, it is worth pointing out that putting together crit crafted gear, including item modifications, requires more effort, not less. Now, the reason I specifically mention Game Update 1.2 is that we will introduce new mechanics in a future update that, without diminishing the usefulness of crit crafted items, will bring some interesting changes and that’s all I will say about that!

Sadly they are also adding the ability to crit craft orange gear with augment sockets in it. What this means is to Min and Max your stats for raiding or WZ pvp you will NEED to purchase an entire suit of crit crafted gear. Judging that columi crit crafted implants right now run at about 750k credits I cringe to think of what buying an entire set of crit crafted orange gear. I am guessing when they first hit the market each piece will run for around 1 million credits.

The cost of making a crit crafted suit is not the only problem present with this system. The appearance of most crafted orange gear is really generic looking. I just don't understand why they would give us the ability to change appearance then take it away for anyone wanting a competitive set of armor.

My suggestion for crit crafted armor would be to add an interesting lighting effect to it. A blue glow might be interesting for example. Alternatively, the armor could also provide maybe a social function such as a new emote or dance if a full set of crit crafted armor is worn.

Summary:

Crit crafted gear will be expensive and look very generic on anyone that wants to maximize stats for pve or pvp. They need to come up with a unique look for crit crafted armor or add an interesting lighting effect, but simply giving them better stats will do nothing to encourage a diverse character appearance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh noes.. a million credits! Are you Doctor Evil?

I started playing 4 weeks ago and I've been level 50 for less than 2 and already I have 8 mil banked after spending about 4 mil gearing up myself and 2 companions (plus buying speeders, training, buying all of my inventory space etc.).

Don't try to tell me that's a lot of money.

You can make 350k+ for doing your dailies which take about 90 minutes.

Of course buying the best gear available in game is going to be expensive, but even at 1 mil per piece that's not all that much...

I started playing 4 weeks ago and I've been level 50 for less than 2 and already I have 8 mil banked after spending about 4 mil gearing up myself and 2 companions (plus buying speeders, training, buying all of my inventory space etc.).

Of course buying the best gear available in game is going to be expensive, but even at 1 mil per piece that's not all that much...

Nice to hear you were able to buy some credits. For the rest of us that raid and lose credits when we repair on progression nights this may add up to be a hit on credits. But since you didn't read my post and the other problems with this system I don't even know why i am replying to you!

Edit: Sorry i think i came off too harsh I was just frustrated you assumed i had no money and was complaining purely about the financial aspect of the problem. I really feel that the main issue here is the fact that we still will not be able to have the most customized look while being competitive.

Edited by -Cybrax-

1st off you didn't fully read his post and you assume that he doesn't have money. 2nd you clearly buy credits online and if you deny that then you are a lier. Nothing wrong with buying credits but don't try to say you have 8 mill banked legitimately after spending 5+ mill so you say and being 50 for less then 2 weeks.

I don't have a problem paying a mill + for this new crafted gear but I sure as hell won't be paying 1 mill ++ for gear that makes you look like a clown for 1-2% more dps.

The Dev Team is completely showing their Amateurism.

You release the game stating we can wear whatever we want with moddable gear etc.

Well people get to 50 and that is not the case, and some models are not moddable which is also silly.

RIGHT NOW we all look the same, so you all change it. GOOD JOB.

So now I can wear whatever Orange gear I acquire and look how I want, AWESOME.

BUT NOW I cannot wear Heroic 2 and 4 man armor, or drop armor like the Jedi Battlelord set, because crafted armor crit will have an extra stat slot. So either I HAVE to look a certainn way AGAIN or I am at a disadvantge.

Do us all a favor and make an appearance tab, you all are making this more confusing and essentially messing up a EXTREMELY BASIC thing.

HOW can you keep your job with some of these decisions is beyond me. I don't have to be a game designer to make a better simple, elementary decision.

I love this game please stop doing ignorant things.

Nice to hear you were able to buy some credits. For the rest of us that raid and lose cash repair on progression nights this may add up to be a hit on credits. But since you didn't read my post and the other problems with this system I don't even know why i am replying to you!

Bought credits? LOL. Not only have I not bought credits, but my guild didn't even give me any starting cash when I started...

I'm starting to raid next week but I don't anticipate money problems even with 100k repairs, seeing as how I'm making a steady 3+ mil a week.

that's like 180k not 350k probably don't raid 100k repair bills make so you don't keep money i guessing your a ebayer

i no ur trollin me. but i am biting. i want ur cred making strat. if i give u my account login deets will u do ur magic to my bank account??

You release the game stating we can wear whatever we want with moddable gear etc.

Well people get to 50 and that is not the case, and some models are not moddable which is also silly.

BUT NOW I cannot wear Heroic 2 and 4 man armor, or drop armor like the Jedi Battlelord set, because crafted armor crit will have an extra stat slot. So either I HAVE to look a certainn way AGAIN or I am at a disadvantge.

Do us all a favor and make an appearance tab, you all are making this more confusing and essentially messing up a EXTREMELY BASIC thing.

HOW can you keep your job with some of these decisions is beyond me. I don't have to be a game designer to make a better simple, elementary decision.

These are my feelings exactly. I would spend 10 million credits for extra dmg I just want the freedom to change my character appearance.

Good post.

1st off you didn't fully read his post and you assume that he doesn't have money. 2nd you clearly buy credits online and if you deny that then you are a lier. Nothing wrong with buying credits but don't try to say you have 8 mill banked legitimately after spending 5+ mill so you say and being 50 for less then 2 weeks.

I don't have a problem paying a mill + for this new crafted gear but I sure as hell won't be paying 1 mill ++ for gear that makes you look like a clown for 1-2% more dps.

What are the other problems? Customization? You know that all purple armor will be able to be modded just as orange is now--when 1.2 hits right? So, you had all the current purple and orange sets, the tier sets--both PvE and PvP, and of course any new sets they release in 1.2, which they said they will be releasing.

Do you have any other problems that you want me to show you don't exist?

They've implied in tonight's Q&A that a long term (post patch 1.2) goal will be to somehow overhaul the crit/augment system. The source is the part where Crit Crafted Orange gear will only be dominant during patch 1.2.

My guess is that they will let you 'consume' a crafted Orange crit piece and make an item that will let you transfer the augment slot into a piece of gear of your choosing.

This will ensure that crafters reap the monetary benefits of crafting a crit piece.

I also love the OPs idea of crit pieces offering cosmetic upgrades. Lighting effects and unique emotes. Stuff like that.

Edited by Zannis

that's like 180k not 350k probably don't raid 100k repair bills make so you don't keep money i guessing your a ebayer

Yes--it's only 170-180k in total hard credits via mission rewards. But you also get 3 purple mods that sell for 30-60k each! And then every 5 days you have enough commendations to buy a BoE Rakata implant which sells for A LOT (200k on my server. I've seen reports they sell for close to a mil each on other servers.)

Then there are the Belsavis commendations that get you purple boxes, i.e. more items you can sell.

And that's not including loots of mobs you kill for the missions.

It is indeed, 350k+

i no ur trollin me. but i am biting. i want ur cred making strat. if i give u my account login deets will u do ur magic to my bank account??

No I'm not trolling. I really make that much. I don't know how I would prove it to you other than shoing you screenshots of my bank account (but you'll just then say I bought the creds?). I sell the 3 mods EVERY DAY. One goes for 35k, one for about 40k, and the other for about 55-60k. EVERY DAY.

I also run slicing missions and UWT missions. While I'm putting all that up for sale I sometimes see similar items extremely underpriced and I buy those up and resell them for market price.

Easy peasy.

I'm not hardcore either. I play 1.5 to 3 hours per day, max.

Edited by Ka-tel

They've implied in tonight's Q&A that a long term (post patch 1.2) goal will be to somehow overhaul the crit/augment system. The source is the part where Crit Crafted Orange gear will only be dominant during patch 1.2.

My guess is that they will let you 'consume' a crafted Orange crit piece and make an item that will let you transfer the augment slot into a piece of gear of your choosing.

This will ensure that crafters reap the monetary benefits of crafting a crit piece.

I also love the OPs idea of crit pieces offering cosmetic upgrades. Lighting effects and unique emotes. Stuff like that.

That would be wonderful--I agree. Making tier sets unviable would be retarded. I hate the way they look.. mainly because of the clone factor, but people that earn them should have the option of actually using them without taking a stat dump by not having the augment slots.

Keep this post to the top, they need to read it.

I believe this change is to offset how ridiculously good Biochem is, so they are trying to make the other proffessions attractive, which is fine but they are going about it wrong

There are TWO EASY options to do this.

Make Augment slots a item that crafters make and can sell and people use on their own gear for an extra slot, just like the belt buckles in that other game.

OR

Make it to where only crafters of that armor/weapon type, can augment THEIR OWN gear ONLY, to offset the stats lost from not having Biochem.

Thats all you have to do. And I just did this for free, thank me by putting this in instead of the current way.

Good post.

How is this remotely a good post? The post is an assumption. It would be mostly true if Bioware announced everything in 1.2. Seeing as how nobody has any idea of all the changes, the post is completely irrational. I can easily see a prof being able to produce consumed items that can insert an augment into any gear. Easily doable if they make the cost of that item high so it doesn't counter act critting on oranges. Probably best to wait for 1.2 notes and then flip out.

i JUST hit level 50 and I have 2.3 million credits.....

I see nothing wrong with spending lots of credits for Best in slot gear.

BTW the cost of this so called gear is based on whatever price people are willing to pay. If people are willing to pay 1 million credits, then you must live with it. If people aren't willing to pay that price, then the people selling them will have to inevitably drop their price. It's all economics.

How is this remotely a good post? The post is an assumption.

Emannuel Lusinchi (Technical Design Director): Yes, for Game Update 1.2, this is correct. Crafted gear is, in theory, superior to endgame gear obtained in other ways. However, it is worth pointing out that putting together crit crafted gear, including item modifications, requires more effort, not less. Now, the reason I specifically mention Game Update 1.2 is that we will introduce new mechanics in a future update that, without diminishing the usefulness of crit crafted items, will bring some interesting changes and that’s all I will say about that!

Reading this, what exactly do you think these 'interesting changes' to the crit system might be?

If you can't deduce that they plan on addressing the very issue that this post is all about from this, then I don't know what else to say.

He's even gone so far as to give us a broad time table on when this will happen.

I gotta ask you, why are you so quick to attack people on the forums?

i think they should just do away with the whole critting on a crafted item and just add an item that either Cybertech or Armormech could make (my 2 50's are Artifice and Armstech if anyone is thinking i just want something for me to sell) that would add the augment slot to any piece of gear similar to the way WoW did the belt buckels to add a socket.

this way ppl could put an augment slot on any piece of gear they wanted and would not have to worry about being at a disadvantage cause they cant afford that piece of gear (assuming that such an item would be cheap like the buckels is WoW were) and would give the option for players to look how they want too since its obvious they dont want to add an apperance tab and make things easier.

Augment slots will not break the game for min.max purposes. In addition, there are very few pieces that really matter for customization and not having the augmetn slot on those (if you want the Heroic reward gear) is not going to hurt your character.

Augment slots will not break the game for min.max purposes. In addition, there are very few pieces that really matter for customization and not having the augmetn slot on those (if you want the Heroic reward gear) is not going to hurt your character.

how is not having +28 of w/e stat you want extra on every piece of gear not going to hurt your character?

Edited by GooseGrims

So basically its ok to lessen the customization? For no good reason? there are plenty of armor pieces I like that are not craftable, but I should just be SOL?

Thats really your argument?

I know Augments are not a ton of stats, but min/max it still matters in the end, in competitive PVP and PVE people will do it even for a fraction % better.

Just because its not the same difference between lvl 40 gear to lvl 50 gear does not mean it isn't a difference at all.

All (top tier) gear should be fully moddable and augmented pieces should be rare drops from bags and pve bosses as well.

That's "customization", "individuality" and "choice"

But oh well, Bioware knows better, once again ;-)

All (top tier) gear should be fully moddable and augmented pieces should be rare drops from bags and pve bosses as well.

That's "customization", "individuality" and "choice"

But oh well, Bioware knows better, once again ;-)

but then getting the best matching set would be RNG and take forever