I would like to see cross faction guilds

-Dench

Darth Evilguy: Imperial Soldiers! To war! The Republic is invading our territory!

John Doe: Actually, Darth Evilguy, I can't...

Evilguy: Why not?!

Doe: You see that Commando over there?

Evilguy: The one that's ripping apart our soldiers with his unholy Grav Rounds?

Doe: Yeah. You see, he's in my guild, and we have an agreement to never fight any members of our guild...

Evilguy: YOU ASSOCIATE WITH THE ENEMY! TRAITOR!

Doe: No man, Bioware gave us faction-neutral guilds now. It's perfectly legit...

Evilguy: ...I hate this game...

Uh actually that can happen currently ingame anyway. If you're in a Guild with a sister Guild on the opposite faction, you'll know who is in it and thus if you have this agreement then it'll happen even without cross faction Guild communication.

Increasing Say range is a horrible idea, that's what shout is for... I hate games that have huge say ranges.. It makes RP really irritating to keep hold of, without interrupting. As for your other communication issues with your guild, make requirements, get them on voice chat as needed or kick em out. It's the member's duty as a member to keep good communication, but I have high expectations of people. You want to benefit from being a member, you do your part. I've noticed a lot of guilds have two guilds, one for each side with similar names to each other. To get the full experience of the game, it's a good idea to get at least one lvl 50 on each side. Edited by Xoza

That's all the OP was asking for, a Guild Chat that spread cross faction.

Though now you mention it, I wouldn't mind being able to add someone to my friends list, like the way Real ID functions, and be able to chat to them no matter what character, faction or server they are on, just how I can whisper a friend on my server currently.

thats true, but it does spiral and quickly. there is such a thing as too much communication.

even ideologically not everyone republic/empire side hates the reverse. pushing your sides agenda doesnt mean murder death kill. this can pretty easily fulfill that part of the story. its the players that want to make nice and actively help the other side that issues start to develop, atleast in my view.

Uh actually that can happen currently ingame anyway. If you're in a Guild with a sister Guild on the opposite faction, you'll know who is in it and thus if you have this agreement then it'll happen even without cross faction Guild communication.

Yes, but at least it is not encouraged.

Just think, with cross faction guilds...

Republic Members join a Voidstar

Empire members join the opposite team on Voidstar.

Republic and Empire members chat over guild chat, and decide that they want to start trading wins. (By giving them a private chat, this can easily happen), so the offensive players go up, and get the setting bombs to 7.5 before ditching the bomb, and warning the defense whenever a stealther hits a side. This is why I do not support cross-faction custom channels either. And let's not get into the trash talk and all that. It's fortunate Bioware gave us /s and /y as it is.

That's all the OP was asking for, a Guild Chat that spread cross faction.

Though now you mention it, I wouldn't mind being able to add someone to my friends list, like the way Real ID functions, and be able to chat to them no matter what character, faction or server they are on, just how I can whisper a friend on my server currently.

A Real ID Guild List then. Separates the game from the real world and would enable guildies to keep in contact without a third party site.

A Real ID Guild List then. Separates the game from the real world and would enable guildies to keep in contact without a third party site.

I think that would be a great idea.

Yes, but at least it is not encouraged.

Just think, with cross faction guilds...

Republic Members join a Voidstar

Empire members join the opposite team on Voidstar.

Republic and Empire members chat over guild chat, and decide that they want to start trading wins. (By giving them a private chat, this can easily happen), so the offensive players go up, and get the setting bombs to 7.5 before ditching the bomb, and warning the defense whenever a stealther hits a side. This is why I do not support cross-faction custom channels either. And let's not get into the trash talk and all that. It's fortunate Bioware gave us /s and /y as it is.

thats true, but it does spiral and quickly. there is such a thing as too much communication.

even ideologically not everyone republic/empire side hates the reverse. pushing your sides agenda doesnt mean murder death kill. this can pretty easily fulfill that part of the story. its the players that want to make nice and actively help the other side that issues start to develop, atleast in my view.

These replies exaggerate the situation. Just because they impliment one thing doesn't mean they'll then add in everything.

Honestly, by your argument nothing at all would get added or changed for fear of them changing everything.

Fear of change is natural, but stop being so pessimistic.

I think that would be a great idea.

These replies exaggerate the situation. Just because they impliment one thing doesn't mean they'll then add in everything.

Honestly, by your argument nothing at all would get added or changed for fear of them changing everything.

Fear of change is natural, but stop being so pessimistic.

not entirely. its more attempting to head the runaway train of crap off at the pass. stopping it before it gets to far seems fair.

if anything, look at my first post on the topic. approaching this logically before it blows up into ZOMG LETS ELEMINATE THE SIDES!

whats Real ID?

It's a free service that Blizzard have, where basically you add people via their e-mail addresses - so people you actually know and have given you them - and then you can chat to them ingame via whisper even if they're playing on a different faction, server or even game! I've sat playing WoW while my friend was play Starcraft and we've chatted away through ingame chat.

It's really quite fantastic.

not entirely. its more attempting to head the runaway train of crap off at the pass. stopping it before it gets to far seems fair.

if anything, look at my first post on the topic. approaching this logically before it blows up into ZOMG LETS ELEMINATE THE SIDES!

But that can be said about anything ever.

Zomg they're introducing Dual-Spec, next it'll be Dual-Classes!

Zomg they're introducing race unlocks, next it'll be free level 50's unlocked!

etc etc.

It's all just doomsaying and exagerrating.

It's a free service that Blizzard have, where basically you add people via their e-mail addresses - so people you actually know and have given you them - and then you can chat to them ingame via whisper even if they're playing on a different faction, server or even game! I've sat playing WoW while my friend was play Starcraft and we've chatted away through ingame chat.

yeah, its a part of the overall battlenet system when they reformed it. considering what we have seen so far tech wise, i would be surprised if we see something like this anytime soon. if anything i would expect something like this to come from an overall thing like origin, or maybe even some kind of overall linking of bioware games, kinda like you have to do with their super account to defeat drm.

Ah, very nice.

But that can be said about anything ever.

Zomg they're introducing Dual-Spec, next it'll be Dual-Classes!

Zomg they're introducing race unlocks, next it'll be free level 50's unlocked!

etc etc.

It's all just doomsaying and exagerrating.

Yeah, I think it is at this point.

Realistically there's not much more point in factions (post 1.2) in SWTOR than there was with factions in EQ1 (and you could have anyone you want in a guild in EQ1).

Yeah our guild is pretty big and we have an Empire guild as well. I'd love for a custom channel to exist for us to chat in. I'd love for our guilds to bind to each other. It is all about making the game enjoyable to the users.

I think darth_moonsomething is more concerned about immersion. He wants to be his character and he wants to despise the other faction. Good for him. I come from an RP guild and an RP server so I can understand this. What I can't understand is why he can't think out of character for what this would bring.

I personally have more hate for some same faction guilds on my server than any empire ones because we were able to communicate. They were poaching our Primal Destroyer kill when it bugged out and reset. I haven't ran into that with Empire because I don't get to see Empire characters till I am much higher level.

But what I would like is for guildmates to communicate with each other. WoW had it with their RealID you could chat with your buddies wherever they were. Doubt if anyone really screamed immersion breaking at that. In the end we want this to communicate with the friends we have in game and out of character. What we do when we meet each other is IC can be different. Two separate things.

And to talk about actual immersion breaking

- founder title

- empire only bounty hunters

- empire only mandalorians

- republic only smugglers

- smugglers that don't smuggle anything

- fat clown body type

- inability to place/collect bounties

- bad space gameplay in a STAR WARS GAME!

- no player/guild housing

Those are what shatter my immersion. Not the ability to say hi to my friend and see if they want to level together or work on dailies or see if they want to do a flashpoint.

Edited by cyanidematt