OUT OF THE BOX IDEA! New faction?

keetrazor

I was thinking about this for a long time, and decided to bring it up. I think that BW should make a new faction. The faction should be the Underworld. This would require that they move BHs and Smuggs to the faction, but they could add thieves and con artists as new classes. The underworld faction would have access to both faction's planets, but have different open world mission options.

They would also have to add a new class to the Imp and Pub factions. For the Pubs, I was thinking maybe SIS agent and for Imps I was thinking imperial trooper, just to keep the ability parallels.

All of these new story lines would bring in subs and give the fans enormous pleasure. We have been craving more class stories. What do yall think? Do you have any class suggestions? I would LOVE to hear from all of you.:D:rak_03:

A third faction could have been there from the start. Smuggler and Bounty Hunters along with some sort of playable droid class would have been a great third faction.

Long past the point where that should have or could have been done.

Just after Rise of the Hutt Cartel released many folks felt that BW would and should make the Hutt Cartel a 3rd faction. It actually started to look like that might happen at one point, but it never came to pass.

Many players felt that the Revenites would become a playable faction during the Forged Alliances and SHadows of Revan days. Again, it didn't happen.

Right now the game is actually primed to make "The Alliance" a 3rd faction. I'm just not sure that BW has the creative minds to be able to pull off a 3rd faction. If they did it would have to be a "start at KotFE and level 60" faction, but that begs the question, "would it be successful?"

They are struggling to give us a SINGLE op this year, so do you think they really have the ability to add a third faction? I would love one too, but like all the awesome features this game should have, we will never see them before the game is canceled. Edited by Darkside

I hate to say this but I feel like this game doesn't have the budget or resources to do anything like that anymore.

A third faction could've been introduced appropriately on Makeb. In other Star Wars games there is usually a 3rd faction run by a loose alliance of Black Sun/Hutt Cartel and others.

New faction? why would we see it, its k. Meanwhile they should have add the new class with every bigger expansion/dlc. ROTHC = bioengineer, healer dps. Sor = revanite, tank dsp, DLC kotfe, outlander, just dps, DLC kotet, zakullan knight. tank and dps. This game would have be so much better with new classes.

Other out of the box ideas. with kotfe they should have released new operations focused on starfortesses, and some flashpoints. Not those silly instances. Kotet is just a dull dlc not even worth to think about...

Edited by Forren-Midosea

A third faction could have been there from the start. Smuggler and Bounty Hunters along with some sort of playable droid class would have been a great third faction.

Long past the point where that should have or could have been done.

I completly agree! Smugglers and BH shouldn't automatically start as Republic or Empire characters, cause of the specific of their work - they care about credits, not politics and moral issues.

This game would have be so much better with new classes.

That's a strong and highly subjective assertion.

I don't think it would have added much, if anything, to the game. The most important part about the list of classes in a game is that it offers good *gameplay* choices, not that it offers *many* choices. (Let's imagine that they add a new class, but that class has only one attack and that attack does one point of damage at level 70 against the weakest of foes, and the class cannot wear armour, relics, implants, or earpieces at all. Would that have made the game better? I don't think so, but hey, you got that new class that would make the game so much better.)

That's a strong and highly subjective assertion.

I don't think it would have added much, if anything, to the game. The most important part about the list of classes in a game is that it offers good *gameplay* choices, not that it offers *many* choices. (Let's imagine that they add a new class, but that class has only one attack and that attack does one point of damage at level 70 against the weakest of foes, and the class cannot wear armour, relics, implants, or earpieces at all. Would that have made the game better? I don't think so, but hey, you got that new class that would make the game so much better.)

:rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

What are you talking about? Even if there is a little content, it has some lvl of quality. If they would roll out a new class it would stand up for the game just right.

Unless they add cross-faction options to end game (Flashpoint, operations) they'd just be splitting the endgame community 3 ways instead of two. If they add that functionality, and keep the resources to push out other content, I'd consider playing a new class with new abilities and such.

:rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

What are you talking about? Even if there is a little content, it has some lvl of quality. If they would roll out a new class it would stand up for the game just right.

It needs to be more than just "a new class", whence the extreme example. What I "proposed" was an extreme example of a new class that would add *negative* value to the game, not a realistic example of something anyone would ask. It was a rhetorical device, to show that "a new class", in and of itself, does not help.

It has to be a *good* class. Not too over-powered (and class balance is *hard*, by the way, as shown by the fact that *every* game struggles with it), and not too under-powered either. If there's any story element to it (and this is SWTOR, so there *should* be a per-class story element), that has to be interesting, too.

So, no, merely adding classes will just increase the number of classes, and isn't even slightly related to making the game better. My opinion is that the game has enough classes.

Right now the game is actually primed to make "The Alliance" a 3rd faction.

Except for the part where our "third faction" is primed to be forced to side with either the Empire or the Republic... Such a letdown tbh - I kinda liked the idea of being king of my own domain, never answering to either faction again...

It needs to be more than just "a new class", whence the extreme example. What I "proposed" was an extreme example of a new class that would add *negative* value to the game, not a realistic example of something anyone would ask. It was a rhetorical device, to show that "a new class", in and of itself, does not help.

It has to be a *good* class. Not too over-powered (and class balance is *hard*, by the way, as shown by the fact that *every* game struggles with it), and not too under-powered either. If there's any story element to it (and this is SWTOR, so there *should* be a per-class story element), that has to be interesting, too.

So, no, merely adding classes will just increase the number of classes, and isn't even slightly related to making the game better. My opinion is that the game has enough classes.

A good class you say? How much more fun would be a crazy makeb "doctor" that runs around and is poisoning everyone around or healing with kolto devices. Animations and names are easy part, numbers of balance are easly calculated. Nothing special.

About the story, well remind me that we have in lots of game an advanced classes that start from predefined level. :) But well....

My historical reference for a 3 faction MMO system is DAoC. It worked for DAoC because this was first and foremost a PvP centric game. Having 3 factions applied certain characteristics and uncertainty in the Realm Wars that were central to DAoC. Each faction served a purpose and enabled player driven dynamics that I have yet to see in any other MMO to date. Each faction had unique classes with no exact counterpart in the other factions.

SWTOR Is NOT a PvP centric game. Hence I see no real value or purpose for a three faction system. In fact, faction separations, in the absence of actual faction war mechanics.. just further fractionalizes the player base on a server... you know.. the servers some players insist are already unpopulated and unhealthy.

That said.. this thread belongs in the suggestion forum.

Edited by Andryah

If there's barely enough resources to make content for two factions, why would I want to see three factions?
And to be honest, it's not even two factions anymore. They are making general content for everyone. It's not faction specific anymore.

The last time they did something for both factions was ROTHC. I wasn't a big fan of Makeb but I did like the fact that both the Republic and Empire had their own motives and objectives, and the end of the expansion was different for both. I also liked the fact that you could take any class through the story and it didn't feel absurd.

I could be wrong but I don't see that happening ever again.

My historical reference for a 3 faction MMO system is DAoC. It worked for DAoC because this was first and foremost a PvP centric game. Having 3 factions applied certain characteristics and uncertainty in the Realm Wars that were central to DAoC. Each faction served a purpose and enabled player driven dynamics that I have yet to see in any other MMO to date. Each faction had unique classes with no exact counterpart in the other factions.

SWTOR Is NOT a PvP centric game. Hence I see no real value or purpose for a three faction system. In fact, faction separations, in the absence of actual faction war mechanics.. just further fractionalizes the player base on a server... you know.. the servers some players insist are already unpopulated and unhealthy.

That said.. this thread belongs in the suggestion forum.

Dont know about daoc but here we could have 3rd facio, the alliance but instead its just some dialogs between you and npcs ... ;)

They already did, it's called the Alliance. It's the part of the story where white walls got more personnality than some of the companions and that the story got more holes in it than a sieve.

Ironically, we are going to have to pick a side so I guess we'll be going back to two faction now...?