EC HM: Kephess Question

It all goes well up untill Kephess casts his 'Gift of The Masters' (Purple AoE).

We have tried a couple of tactics but none seem to work, everybody is just taking way to much damage to heal.

We are using a Sorc Heal (Myself) and an Operative.

Anyone have any suggestions on this.

Cheers

It all goes well up untill Kephess casts his 'Gift of The Masters' (Purple AoE).

We have tried a couple of tactics but none seem to work, everybody is just taking way to much damage to heal.

We are using a Sorc Heal (Myself) and an Operative.

Anyone have any suggestions on this.

Cheers

Los the pull by kephess if you have too much ranged. The big purple circle is nasty and hard to heal through if you stay in it too long. The second tank need to be taunting during the cast of breath of the masters when he's attacking the main tank. Ranged dps shouldn't have to move during this phase. Melee dps need to be behind the boss at all times. I've been one shotted by the cleave at 20k hp before. Avoid purple circles that are dropped. All the info I got.

Edit: Marauders predation can help run out of the circle. Also if you use a jugg tank, intercede is a great tool. Sorc pulls help as well. Every other class that gets caught needs to pop a DC.

Edited by LastWizard

Step 1: get a Sentinel

Step 2: when you're pulled in, have said Sentinel use Transcendence

Step 3: have everyone use their now dramatically increased movement speed to get the hell out of it

Step 4: profit

I've been in groups that went from having 2-3 people die to the Gift of the Masters *every single time* to not having anyone even drop below half hp thanks *exclusively* to the presence of a Sentinel providing that buff. The only other recommendations that can really be made are the oft cited "people hide behind something so that they don't get pulled" and other mechanisms whereby, rather than trying to counteract it, the goal is instead to avoid it.

GotM is one of the few mechanics in the game where I really feel that the game *forces* you to have a specific class around just for a specific buff. Even a well geared Commando blowing their CDs and running immediately stands a unreasonably high chance of dying as they run out simply because it deals so much damage and has such a large radius (in fact, I know this because the people in the aforementioned run that were dying to it every time were Commandos that were using Reactive Shield at 61% with Sage bubbles before and *still* died to it). If you're a class without a major movement speed increase (Consular, Sentinel; Guardian can sometimes manage with Guardian Leap) or a KB immunity ability (Tactics Vanguard, Gunslinger), you're kinda screwed unless there is a Sentinel to save your bacon.

Thanks for the responses.

Our make up is

2 Assassin Tank

1 Marauder

1 Merc

1 Sorc Dps

1 Sniper

1 Sorc Healer

1 Operative Healer

We have tried many of the options suggested. Using predation, LoS even using the snipers sheid. Where it always seems that 1 or two people die.

I suppose its just trial and error untill we find something were comfortable with.

If your sniper uses his shield and your marauder uses his predation, in addition to everyone using all defensive CDs, the only way anyone will die is if they are not running out of the circle immediately. And by running out, I do not mean backing up. This is far too slow, so everyone should be turning and running. Your assassin tanks should be using Force Shroud as soon as kephess casts the pull (he grapples everyone). This will make them immune to the purple aoe, so they will not have to move at all. they can just stand there and wait until they need to tank swap. There is never a reason for an assassin/shadow tank to move during gift of the masters as long as they use resilience/force shroud. Edited by ElQuesoGrande

Our make up is

2 Assassin Tank

1 Marauder

1 Merc

1 Sorc Dps

1 Sniper

1 Sorc Healer

1 Operative Healer

We have tried many of the options suggested. Using predation, LoS even using the snipers sheid. Where it always seems that 1 or two people die.

I suppose its just trial and error untill we find something were comfortable with.

Assassins pop Shroud, Sorcerer healer uses Force Speed and pulls the Operative, Sniper pops Entrench at about 63-62%, Sorcerer DPS uses Force Speed and pulls the Merc.

This way the Marauder can be lazy and not use Predation which would make the whole thing trivial :p Though if it's not a Carnage Marauder, the Operative and the Mercenary will still take quite a lot of damage running out.

Edited by Siorac

Our make up is

2 Assassin Tank

1 Marauder

1 Merc

1 Sorc Dps

1 Sniper

1 Sorc Healer

1 Operative Healer

We only recently finally killed Kephess HM with a group very similar to yours (replace you Sorc and Merc DPS with Shadow and Gunslinger). What we found was Kephess pulls us in as soon as his health bar hits 59%. My suggestion to you is the following (very close to what we had done):

1> At 75 - 78% Kephess will do his last Mighty Leap and drop a red circle. One tank would pick him up and drag him to the position along the entrance wall (so LOS is possible). The sniper and healers position themselves near the entrance.

2> 2nd tank taunts as soon as Savage Wounding goes out, and holds Kephess till Gift is cast. Ensure everybody is fully healed at this point. Only the tanks should be taking any damage, so thats relatively easy.

3> At 61%, sniper pop entrench and shield, healers and merc DPS hide. Everybody else (2 tanks, sorc dps and mara) bunches up around the boss at this point, so they will have very little distance to travel once pull happens and they can run out faster. Sorc healer drops a healing circle on the Sniper.

4> At 60%, mara pops predation. It lasts 10 seconds, so you can pop it a bit early. Sorc DPS bubbles himself.

5> At 59% pull happens, tanks pop shroud and speed, sorc dps pops speed, mara pops camo (forget the imperial name for this) and runs out towards the healing circle. Sorc can use his self heal while running out.

The only problem we had with this strat was our tank got no heals during the 61% to 59% phase, and his health was very low. He didn't die, but he was just barely alive. Maybe your sorc healer can stay out and force speed away from the Gift. Just remember to bunch around the boss before the pull.

After the pull, have the tank with higher health (should the the one not tanking Kephess before gift) pick Kephess up. The last 60% of Kephess is really fast and furious and we wiped countless times on that phase :(.

Have fun :)

Everyone should have defensive cooldowns saved up for this point - pop medpacks if needed. Everyone else has already given enough tips on how to get out of there - just try to make sure everyone is topped off before he pulls everyone in.

Also depending on party HP, Kephess will start his 2nd phase at 60% OR when he finishes the next set of attacks he does AFTER 60%.

If the party HP is low going into 65%, have DPS slow down and let healers heal them up and get their force/heat whatever they need back, then drop Kephess down below his 60% and begin part 2.

Our make up is

2 Assassin Tank

1 Marauder

1 Merc

1 Sorc Dps

1 Sniper

1 Sorc Healer

1 Operative Healer

So he casts this at 60% I believe, so at around 63% the sorc healer can bubble everyone, the Sorc DPS can do his own also.

at 61% Marauder pops Transendence (or Marauder version of it) and the Sniper being ~30metres out pops Hunker Down and the Scrambling field.

The SECOND he pops GotM every body should be running out - you have half a raid with force speed the other 3 (Sniper will be uneffected due to hunker down) will be boosted by transendance and their CD - Mara can pop his damage reduction and Merc his shield.

You could even have the Sorc lay down an AoE on the sniper ~61/62% ready for people to arrive.

It relies on everyone being ready to run - even on NiM we don't lose a single person and most >40/50% HP :)

The suggestion about pre-bubbling/hot-ing and running towards Kephess is a good one.

At 63% each healer takes half the team and either bubbles or hots. We then run TO Kephess so that we're standing on him with he casts Gift, as it seems to help star the running out part faster.

If we don't have a Sentinel for Transcendence, we try to bring a Gunslinger to use Scrambling Shield for the damage reduction (gunslinger also doesn't yet yanked in with Hunker Down active). If we don't have either, everyone saves their medpack for that phase.

Edited by Khevar

I have seen him pop GOTM at as low as 56% health so casting things automatically at 61% does not always work. As a previous poster said, when you are right on his butt you do not have that long pull into him and you can start your run sooner. Even on NM mode my group does not use predation. We all pop a CD and book it out of the circle without anyone dying.

OP:

Have everyone stand right behind Kephess' back when he does the pull. Reason for this is following:

Like this your team doesn't spend time flying in the air (which is counted before the ticking starts) and they get a lot less damage running out. Idea about Transcendence is good and defensive CDs should be used. Of course, healers should have everyone topped off as well as they can.

-Ruswyn

I've had more personal success with just run out strategies than the los trick. A lot of this is because the los trick causes a difference set of problems. DPS drastically slows when your range all duck down to hide. This can throw off your prediction of when the pull will occur. So healers might stop healing to hide and be LoSed from tanks unable to heal for a stretch before the pull and right after the pull. Dropping too early can cause tank to take too much unhealed damage and possible panic a healer to hop back out to throw a heal just in time to get pulled in from max distance, facing the wrong direction, and not having properly prepared to run out.

Some tips to make the run strategy work more cleanly

-Already be facing the direction you want to run

-Closer you are to kephess, the less airtime

-speed boost if you have it

-friendly leap if you have it (and someone is faster than you)

-keep an eye on kephess % so that you don't get surprised by it

-run forward, never back peddle

-slinger/sniper screen to reduce damage

-cooldown if you have one

-non tanks should take 0 damage during the entirety of the final phase. so healers can pretty much just ignore that damage and focus on the tanks