Ilum dies with 1.2

Xercin

From the Q&A:

This will include the removal of the interim bag/quest system, the introduction of the direct purchase of gear from Warzone and Ranked Warzone commendations...

The only reason people went to Ilum was to get their daily finished and/or valor trade. This change will obviously make people who do the daily for the bags stop going, and thus drastically reduce the population so that valor trading becomes a lot "harder."

Personally, I hate how Ilum is set up to where those are the only reasons to go there. It needs to be redone from scratch so that people actually look forward to the enjoyment that comes out of going there. So, yeah, I really hope Bioware takes Ilum back to the drawing board and comes up with something that will make that place actually epic.

Edited by Xercin

The daily quests will award commendations upon completion. Ilum will probably award merc commendations while the warzone daily will award wz commendations.

BW said they want to make the us less reliant on the pvp quests... not remove them completely... if you don't want to do the daily on ilum and just get your comms from normal pvp, you can choose for yourself after 1.2

The daily quests will award commendations upon completion. Ilum will probably award merc commendations while the warzone daily will award wz commendations.

BW said they want to make the us less reliant on the pvp quests... not remove them completely... if you don't want to do the daily on ilum and just get your comms from normal pvp, you can choose for yourself after 1.2

Changing the currency system really does not fix Ilum. If you still can get your awesome gear from not doing Ilum, I believe no one will want to go there. Even going there right now is the most boring thing ever, but I just do it to get a shot at a Battlemaster Commendation. Actually, even now I generally skip doing the Ilum daily because it's just so boring and a complete waste of time for me.

I imagine there's plenty of people that feel the same way.

I don't understand you guys. If they fix game engine so we could actually play like people and not see slideshows on Ilum - it's great place to hang out and waste some enemies.

I see only 1 problem in Ilum. It's unplayable when 2 groups start fighting. So is useless to do something there. When I was playing my BH only thing I did on Ilum was to gather some crates at center for couple of minutes and go back to my ship so I can queue for WZ. Nothing more.

Just because grinding on Republic was a slideshow. Standing outside their base waiting for them to exit with around 14 fsp is no fun at all.

So if they fix engine, fix graphics (for estetics), fix valor gain and few other details we could actually just fight over Ilum on servers where there is no ongoing masacre near their base.

And I would go to Ilum just for that.

Ilum has been a dead turd for a pretty long time already...lol. The only time it was tolerable was when you could go in, click on walkers and leave in 10 minutes. Lag party base camping or 90 minutes of running around for crates made it the worst place in the game.

From the Q&A:

This change will probably obviously makes people who do the daily for the bags stop going...

If none of us go, then maybe they will be forced to accept the place is horrible and needs completely redesigning. Currently they can pretend its not too bad because we are actually there.

I'm pretty sure they just have something else in the works. Probably not at least until 1.3, but something that will essentially replace Ilum for pvp.

Saw an interview question regarding Ilum and Gabe seemed to be happy to leave it at what it currently is.

im not a huge gw2 fan but what i saw today of open world pvp was awesome i wasnt interested and i want tor to succed but i have to admit when i see daoc type pvp and keep holds im pretty impressed. I think the best pvp teams needs to do better here. I see lot people going there for that and im still on the fence here wish theyd get thier bleeps in gear with the open world already

im not a huge gw2 fan but what i saw today of open world pvp was awesome i wasnt interested and i want tor to succed but i have to admit when i see daoc type pvp and keep holds im pretty impressed. I think the best pvp teams needs to do better here. I see lot people going there for that and im still on the fence here wish theyd get thier bleeps in gear with the open world already

I'm a huge fan of GW1 (and daoc ofc), and feel I will probably like GW2 because of this. I didn't think it would appeal to the masses, but after seeing the video just released I was: :eek:

Looks very impressive.

@OP - Ilum has been dead since release.

I'm sure that Ilum won't ever be changed.

Because, you know, MMO devs never change the mechanics of their game after they're released. They always stay the same as they were at launch.

I mean, just look at WoW. A shining example of a game that didn't change once in over half a decade. And everyone left the game because of it.

Tsk, tsk Bioware. You never learn, do you?

The only reason people went to Ilum was to get their daily finished and/or valor trade.
You get a buff when you enter wz from Ilum. The buff will give you more commendations/valor. If your faction control multiple bases the buff will be bigger.

This will be the incentive for people to go to Ilum. And to spread out to control all 5 bases (but then you can be zerged by a smaller, but focused, force).

Killing in Ilum also provide valor.

I think Ilum will be THE place to hang out between wzs. Shrug.

You get that buff already, which is why I stay on ilum and queue.

I'd love for swtor to keep me around after GW2 comes out. I love the star wars theme. I guess I'm really tired of fantasy genre since I refuse to roll a sage because it reminds me too much of a Mage type class.

You get a buff when you enter wz from Ilum. The buff will give you more commendations/valor. If your faction control multiple bases the buff will be bigger.

This will be the incentive for people to go to Ilum. And to spread out to control all 5 bases (but then you can be zerged by a smaller, but focused, force).

Killing in Ilum also provide valor.

I think Ilum will be THE place to hang out between wzs. Shrug.

I see your server hasn't started valor trading yet. And here I thought ours was the last one to start...

There really is no point to it. Once you hit Battlemaster, valor isn't even necessary. 65 for a mount, and titles every 10 levels. Of course, now those titles mean absolutely nothing since it's just how long you can stand in Ilum and take turns AoE'ing each other down, not even learning how to play.

There really will be no point in going there after the patch. You can say that capping bases gives you 200 valor per war zone completion, but really that's not much. And again, valor means nothing after Battlemaster.

But yes, if no one is in Ilum, maybe they'll redo it!

I don't understand you guys. If they fix game engine so we could actually play like people and not see slideshows on Ilum - it's great place to hang out and waste some enemies.

I see only 1 problem in Ilum. It's unplayable when 2 groups start fighting. So is useless to do something there. When I was playing my BH only thing I did on Ilum was to gather some crates at center for couple of minutes and go back to my ship so I can queue for WZ. Nothing more.

Just because grinding on Republic was a slideshow. Standing outside their base waiting for them to exit with around 14 fsp is no fun at all.

So if they fix engine, fix graphics (for estetics), fix valor gain and few other details we could actually just fight over Ilum on servers where there is no ongoing masacre near their base.

And I would go to Ilum just for that.

pretty much..yeah! :rolleyes:

If at least the basics were working, it wouldnt be so bad at all but atm no way I pay more ucking money for getting a headache watching a powerpoint presentation...

I want bw to fix fps and some simple mechanics like whats standard in the battlefield series where you take over spawn points or something! Like when you own them all rewards for faction and map reset...

Edit:

Better then standing in front of rep base waiting ;)

Edited by MEdiKLEZ

Ilum has been a dead turd for a pretty long time already...lol. The only time it was tolerable was when you could go in, click on walkers and leave in 10 minutes. Lag party base camping or 90 minutes of running around for crates made it the worst place in the game.

This. Ilum has always been about "kill trading."

Ilum 1.0 was about ignoring the enemy and shooting rockets at vehicles.

Then for about a day it was zerg, until actual kill trading started.

Now it's bouts of kill trading in between NASCAR.

The only effective change has been the time it takes to complete your kill trading.

1.0 took about half an hour to complete your weekly.

Then it took about an hour.

Now it can take hours/days.

Ilum doesn't fail because of its reward system. If it were a hell of a fun people would go there even for minor rewards.

Point is: Ilum is simply a piece of development junk and just shows what kind of future open world pvp is to be expected...that is if BW dares to release anything anytime soon.

That would be awesome, I like Ilum on my server and I like WZ. Now I can do whatever I am in the mood for. Ilum is definitely more difficult and I like the idea of Merc commendations from Ilum or BUYING merc commendations with WZ ones if you do not like Ilum.

This. Ilum has always been about "kill trading."

If people dont do it then it wont happen. People could also zone in to huttball and have Republic win from 8-8:30 and emp from 8:31-9. It's collusion which is hard to prevent.

You people want to blame developers for players who are pathetic. Move to a good server. My server has good battles on ilum often. Often one side outnumbs the other but you can just do a WZ or two and check again later.

Edited by richardya