Ranked 4's

Lord_Asmoday

So as the ranked community is already aware, there is not a lot of teams in que. Worse yet, the chance of there being real competition for the existing teams in the near future is slim. While I realize that there is no miracle cure that is going to fix this I have a few ideas about what will work in building the number of competitive teams on the server.

The initial problem that we have is the lack of quality players on the server. I'm not talking about people who have managed to top a regs chart in damage a few times when no other noteworthy players were in the game, but people who have truly learned swtor pvp. The learning curve in this game is steep, i know I've been working on it for almost 2 years now between all of my toons. Learning game mechanics, positioning, and situational awareness are important for improving skill. So the task remains to weed out the never will be good, casual, qq bads, from the I have gotten better in leaps and bounds since I started but am not ranked quality yet players. There are still plenty of players out there that while not the greatest are more than capable of playing their class. They know how to function in a wz and how to break that illusive 1k dps that seems to kick so many pugs collective asses. This thread is for those people that have plateaued in there performance, above that of the casuals, but have little or no ranked experience(and would like to change that).

So if you feel you have attained a reasonable to great level of success in warzones as well as arena's, then you run into the second issue. Social networking. Guilds while great for meeting other players, rarely afford more than 3-4 good players with maybe 1-2 great players. Many players aren't even in guilds anymore due to the mass exodus of this servers pvp community as a whole. Given most peoples inclination to stick with who they know and not branch out to find new players this is understandable. However if you want to get a 4 man together and compete in ranked this needs to change, at least until you find a 4 man that you like. I think that this thread should double as a sign up sheet, stating both the roles you can fill as well as what times you are going to be available to que.

Now, the final issue... Closing the gap to being competitive with the top ranked guilds on the server. If we can build a large enough player base, then we can begin working on coordination, there are place where you can go to do this other than arenas. Outlaw's den, as well at ilum offer a good enviornment to practice things like hard switches and focus fire without the pain of sitting in q for lengthy amounts of time. Not saying that there aren't dues to be paid when it comes to running ranked, just that in order to speed up improvement things like this will facilitate teams to practice things they may be weaker on for extended periods of time without waiting on que's

While i realize that this is an overly ideal approach to the issue, I believe it is still practical.. Let this be the starting point. A place where all the people with a genuine desire to do ranked 4's can begin to meet each other. Form new teams and get out there and get better. Post your name and roll below if you would like to take a solid shot at 4's, or if you already have a 4 man team and are willing to kickball with some newer faces.

*disclaimer: Ranked is not for causual players, even seasoned players are going to get dumped on when first forming 4 mans by teams like clickers that have been working on their coordination for months now.

I have an operative healer, marauder, sniper and sorc I am willing to put on to anyone's ranked team if they need a fill in and my group isn't queing.

Edited by Lord_Asmoday

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads like these come around once every month.

4s are gonna stay how they always were only 3 teams queing regularly..

bring back 8v8s

/thread.

8v8 isn't coming back, if it did it would likely be a worse failure than it was the first time around... I would think that you of all people would be behind this. I can't understand why all the people I talk to would prefer to ***** about the lack of population in ranked 4's, and how they can't get a regular team together. Yet, when someone makes an effort, everyone just says that things will stay the way they always have been. What is the breaking point? Could simply put your name and role on here and say you're down, because I know you enjoy ranked as much as I do. I understand this has been attempted before. Doesn't mean you should simply stop trying. Modify the approach and keep plugging. Stop appealing to the existing people in ranked and try to get some fresh faces that are a bit hesitant. Give them an in to get some ranked experience... I've been trying for at least the last 6 months, and finally was able to get a team together.. It doesn't have to be like that.

There aren't many teams because most players just don't have the required skill to do 4s.

This is the honest truth and it would take most people months to bring them to that high skill level....

It's possible to do just not probable.

I won't disagree with this. However I think there are enough people that at least understand their class/game mechanics well enough to learn some of the more advanced concepts if they just get a push in the right direction though. If someone is competent enough to dps/heal at an acceptable level the rest is possible to learn. I do realize this is a long shot, but I am not willing to give up hope at this early stage. I've poured through plenty of forum posts, talked to countless people in game... I wouldn't have even bothered to write that novel of a post if I didn't believe that at least 5-10 people would read and say they were willing to learn a few new things, close the gap, and find a group to run 4's with. It's just difficult to permeate the groups that people are stuck in, I suppose this is just my attempt to do that. I see countless players that just stick to queing regs with their friends because they don't have a 4'th competent player, or they aren't extroverted enough to talk to other players and network to progress. I understand that most players are never going to change, just trying to give the ones with a legitimate desire to the chance that I was never afforded.

This post is no different when 8v8s were around. People tried the same thing to revive the game with post like these. I don't mean to take your credit away from trying to revive the competitive scene...but you're all missing the main point as to why it's dead now.

Queue dodgers, they dodge to protect their egos that were inflated over beating terrible teams. Nobody knows how to take a loss, or better yet learn how to make players around them better. Rather, they'd huehuehue over their elitist skills in a nerdy game and confidence boost themselves by degrading others to neglect the fact you queue dodge teams better than yours. Then you wonder why people only do solo queue, perfect excuse to blame a loss on anyone but yourself, therefore nobody gets better except when it comes to the mastering of cliche, "you bad bro" insults...notice how the solostars are the biggest **** talkers while all sounding the same? Eventually, overtime you might even get to LegendaryQuan status with that kind of practice and credibility after hundreds of random chances of beating your opponents.

Just a heads up to save you some trouble and anyone in the future who may come across another post like this.

Learn to lose better and not queue dodge like a salty little kid/nerd. People couldn't even handle this concept when Don't panic played with a handicap on alts with 50s gear. If people understood this, top teams would actually have a purpose of getting together to queue...thus keeping the competitive scene alive.

This post is no different when 8v8s were around. People tried the same thing to revive the game with post like these. I don't mean to take your credit away from trying to revive the competitive scene...but you're all missing the main point as to why it's dead now.

Queue dodgers, they dodge to protect their egos that were inflated over beating terrible teams. Nobody knows how to take a loss, or better yet learn how to make players around them better. Rather, they'd huehuehue over their elitist skills in a nerdy game and confidence boost themselves by degrading others to neglect the fact you queue dodge teams better than yours. Then you wonder why people only do solo queue, perfect excuse to blame a loss on anyone but yourself, therefore nobody gets better except when it comes to the mastering of cliche, "you bad bro" insults...notice how the solostars are the biggest **** talkers while all sounding the same? Eventually, overtime you might even get to LegendaryQuan status with that kind of practice and credibility after hundreds of random chances of beating your opponents.

Just a heads up to save you some trouble and anyone in the future who may come across another post like this.

Learn to lose better and not queue dodge like a salty little kid/nerd. People couldn't even handle this concept when Don't panic played with a handicap on alts with 50s gear. If people understood this, top teams would actually have a purpose of getting together to queue...thus keeping the competitive scene alive.

This. Trick is finding people who have the drive. There are a few left, **** I've taken my share of *** whoopings since we started queing 4's. We modify our stategy, work on our coordination, and each time we have done better in a variety of areas. I understand most people aren't cut out for this, I just want to find some that are. And I know there are. We can't be the only 4 people on the server, **** if baulz is willing to lose to get better I can't imagine how anyone else wouldn't be.

In my opinion, you're better off creating a tournament with credits/cartel market rewards. Not like rating matters in pre-season anyways. Should be easy to set up times to queue against each other since it's rare to have 2+ teams queueing at a time as it is. Maybe make it a weekend event....or something. Edited by Raychul

Tournaments, while a great diversion, are a waste imo. They last for one chaotic night, of unrenderable hero engine fail, and end with the same predictable outcome of victors. I know I'm a glutton for punishment and disappointment starting one of these threads. I knew before I posted that this was unlikely to give me the outcome I was hoping for. None the less I will give my due diligence to this matter. As with the passion I had for pvp from my first warzone to get better and keep improving, I will persist in trying to make something I enjoy out of this game. I might as well, everything else blows, and I love star wars.

While i realize that this is an overly ideal approach to the issue, I believe it is still practical.. Let this be the starting point. A place where all the people with a genuine desire to do ranked 4's can begin to meet each other. Form new teams and get out there and get better. Post your name and roll below if you would like to take a solid shot at 4's, or if you already have a 4 man team and are willing to kickball with some newer faces.

I am totally down for puggins some 4s teams, and going from there! I have a 55 Guardian on this server, and I play Vigilance. To be honest I wouldn't say I'm all that great at it, but I do have a good amount of group ranked experience so learning how to properly play the spec won't take me very long. I know all the mechanics for 4s, and I would also be willing to grind out a tank set if anyone is in need of one.

I am available every night after 8PM EST (5PM PST), and I use both Mumble and TS3.

Contact me via mail or message me on Fenrír

Unfortunately Fenrir, I do not have any geared pubs at the moment to do ranked on, but I know radishz has a group pub side that they do ranked with(I can't say how receptive he will be, seeing as I don't know him personally). Hopefully we will get some other pubs posting on here, or at least good players with pub alts. Keeping this thread going will hopefully pan out well long term, it's only been up a day so far.

Rippin'n'tearin manned up and queued with Miva against Rahc, Se'kryn, Immortal and myself last night. Ty to them for queuing and getting some games going.

If people stopped caring about the silly number in the rating box during the season, things would be different. Take your lumps and improve on the things that lost you the match.We did this last season and got beat quite a bit at the start. We improved individually and as a team. Toss egos aside and there's still the real capability to have 4s.

Yes, it will require significant effort from those already involved.

Yes, it will require people to not get butthurt about silly trashtalk that's all in good fun.

Yes, it will require new players to lose and get over themselves and their own egos to start to improve.

And yes, it will require the good/"elite" players to foster the process.

It's a video game. I think we'd all enjoy it a lot more if we got to do more of our favorite aspect of it.

So far I have gotten a few responses, on the forums as well as in game. Would appreciate suggestions on how to link everyone together. The idea of a community mumble is possible, but from what I've seen from the guys on harbinger that's crap shoot. Skype was purposed as a way of keeping tabs, however I'm not really a fan of that software. I can edit the original post with peoples info if they are willing... Need something reliable. I'm not really tech savvy does anyone have any ideas about getting everyone that responds together?

So far I have gotten a few responses, on the forums as well as in game. Would appreciate suggestions on how to link everyone together. The idea of a community mumble is possible, but from what I've seen from the guys on harbinger that's crap shoot. Skype was purposed as a way of keeping tabs, however I'm not really a fan of that software. I can edit the original post with peoples info if they are willing... Need something reliable. I'm not really tech savvy does anyone have any ideas about getting everyone that responds together?

Either a central guild or central mumble/TS/whatever.

There has to be a way people can quickly check in without any hassles.

But honestly, this is a long shot. I do wish you luck but you should be prepared for the worse...

So, last night was a lot of fun, solid learning experience. Thanks out to Canyou for the advice, Miva and Itchy for the heals. Got our first group win, and coordination improving by the match. Thanks to jugghub for replacing baulz. Shame we couldn't get more groups together. Again, anyone that would like to try their hand at ranked that has some solid experience in game, feel free to whisper me in game. Let's try to get at least 3-4 teams queing tonight. It's Saturday, stop pretending you have a life nerds... Edited by Lord_Asmoday

I'm going to take this opportunity to say, I'm not sure if these random teams with bad comp are a result of my post... If this happens to be the case, please don't que without a competitive comp.. You are wasting your time as well as ours. The purpose of competitive pvp is to have a challenge. If you really want to do ranked, don't just throw together 3 friends and que without regard to comp. Post your name on here, whisper me in game, tell someone you are throwing a team together that can perhaps get your **** straight. Stop wasting everyone's time and discouraging yourself, that was not what I had intended with this thread.

I'm going to take this opportunity to say, I'm not sure if these random teams with bad comp are a result of my post... If this happens to be the case, please don't que without a competitive comp.. You are wasting your time as well as ours. The purpose of competitive pvp is to have a challenge. If you really want to do ranked, don't just throw together 3 friends and que without regard to comp. Post your name on here, whisper me in game, tell someone you are throwing a team together that can perhaps get your **** straight. Stop wasting everyone's time and discouraging yourself, that was not what I had intended with this thread.

What i've been noticing is dps is really lacking with these groups that people are throwing together.For example A madness sin should be doing 1800 dps on average. otherwise your teams will never be competitive. js. dont be afraid to kick people. if they consistantly are underperforming, kick them.

Sadly if you didn't do ranked when they were in their prime (8v8's) - chances are you will never experience quality and competitive fights in this game. Most of the good players who got that learning curve have either left the game or just derp around in solos and regs bored with the lack of competition and thus end up becoming reg stars