How offen to servers go down

DeathDust

So I got this game on Tuesday installed it but couldn't as the servers where down hopefully a once off all good came home last night play for a couple of hours was great fun then off to bed get on again today and again servers for offline I am wondering how often the servers do go off line as at the moment its not even worth tring to play

The previous posters kind of full of it if i were you id check the dev tracker forum and grab the dates for all the down time listed there and paint your own picture
How am I full of it? Hell, I'm not even sure what you're implying but I'm guessing, from your somewhat blunt reply, that you're trying to say that it's much more often than once per week.

It might be more than once per week if you calculate an average since launch but it wouldnt be by much. I'm pretty sure of this since I'm in EU where the servers always go down just in time for me to get off the nigh shift. So instead of being able to play for a few hours before bed I have to do something els instead...and there's not much to do between 8 and 11 when everyone els is at work. Hence, if this had happened several times every week I would have noticed and been annoyed.

In terms of random and unexpected downtime I'd say that it's more or less non-existent.

It should be added that a few servers have experienced problems at times when the majority of servers still have been up and running. Not sure how often this happens since I just randomely noticed it one day while looking at the server list. It has never happened to the three servers I've been using while I've been on.

Edited by MidichIorian

I agree with the last guy. I too work shifts and usually play between 8am gmt and 12pm on late shift. I must admit the last 2 times the servers have been down twice (including today) but generally I'm sure its once a week. We all have to remember this is a new game. It is a bit frustrating though.:(

I really dont need to hear the new game thing if it needs patching twice a week shouldnt it still be in beta

Well you are playing a paid beta. Most of the patches have been to address bugs which should have been taken care of before launch. That doesn't even address the many bugs that still have not been fixed that should have. So yeah, you are paying for a beta.

obviously you havent played other MMO's in the beginning of their life span. I can remember a certain WoW was just the same in the beginning.

Second Life was also down every Tuesday/Wednessday in the beginning for patches. Hell even Star Wars Galaxies had THREE times every week a downtime of 9 hours when I started playing an Empire Divided, so this is pretty normal for a starting MMORPG.

I know its frustrating, but what is on downtime now, doesnt come in the future.

Edited by DorvallaCao

I am on the west coast of Canada. It has been down from midnight until deep morning more than the last optimist is saying. Highlights have included a Friday night midnight patch?

I play at midnight to reduce wife spaztication but instead find myself spazzing when I get all set up to play, snacks, pop, Red Eye mind tricks to knock wife out peacefully and than blam... Servers go down 5 minutes after I log in.

I agree with anyone that says its down daily. "It must be midnight CST, servers are down" You can set your clock to it.. Once a week? Haha. It's a new game? Some of these could have been worked out pre-launch. I like the paid Beta talk. Good game. You should get, in about a month. Make us who pre-ordered it look like fools.

Once a week is a bit optimistic, but every day is a bit pessimistic :p

It's been just about once every other day, long downtimes (up to 8h o.O) on tuesdays and shorter downtimes the other days (more like 3-6h) excluding weekends save for one Saturday which was a horrible call.

This is actually normal for a new MMO though, expect this to not change in the first 6 months. If they keep it up after that, then something isn't being done right.

Well if this is going to keep up for 6 mouths looks like I am out its a great fun game but in the long run I am paying to play it

That is entirely your decision, but I'd like to note that every MMO has regular patches and server downtime for the first few months. So maybe MMO's in general aren't your thing.

You could always leave a while and come back in a few months when the game is a bit more matured and has grown out of these little growing pains. It would be a shame to pass up on what you seem to find a great game because of this.

I am on the west coast of Canada. It has been down from midnight until deep morning more than the last optimist is saying. Highlights have included a Friday night midnight patch?

I play at midnight to reduce wife spaztication but instead find myself spazzing when I get all set up to play, snacks, pop, Red Eye mind tricks to knock wife out peacefully and than blam... Servers go down 5 minutes after I log in.

I think 7pm to 3am wins the perfect prime time server shutdown period, which is almost every shutdown for me

Edited by sol_

I am pretty happy with the expectation of downtime from the publisher. They said 4 hours for this latest one and it was less then 2. On a couple occasions I have noticed that they are back up before I expected them too be. I often feel worse when the publisher under estimates the down time and gives a low ball number and you keep checking back in anticipation to find it has been extended. For a newly released MMO I think they are doing ok.

The game goes down an average of 2 times per week between 12am and 4 to 8am pst. That is actually pretty common for most MMOs that are patching as often as SWtOR. As time goes on, we will more than likely see that drop to 1 weekly maintenance and a downtime every other week for patches. That is also pretty common for most MMOs. It is the times that we have down time that can be a bother, depending on what time zone you play in and what your life schedule is like.

I work a swing shift in the pst zone and my game time is always during the weekly maintenance and patch times. It is annoying, but again that is all part of playing an MMO. I have yet to play an MMO that didn't have at least a weekly downtime.

And for those that call this a paid beta, show me one MMO that has been release to date that was released without any issues. If any MMO waited on its release until it was 'perfect' it would never be released. I've been in more betas than I can count and have yet to see a single game released as stable and as polished as SWtORs release has been.

i play eu pretty much every day from 9am till noon so the dt is right through my playtime damn them lol, but i havent noticed it to be too much a hinderence.

Used to be annoying when i played eve and had the daily downtime smack bang in the middle of my old playtime and they sometimes lasted well over the hour stated! the buggers lol

Sophs

x

And for those that call this a paid beta, show me one MMO that has been release to date that was released without any issues. If any MMO waited on its release until it was 'perfect' it would never be released. I've been in more betas than I can count and have yet to see a single game released as stable and as polished as SWtORs release has been.

Drashk you just won my "Post of the year" reward...

Most people are comparing a newly released game to WoW after 8~ years and if it's not WoW it's some other game several months after release. Compared to WoW and Warhammer for example. Both Rift n Swtor had basically flawless releases compared to the previous two i mentioned, so saying we're playing a paid beta is just peoples way of saying "I want this game to be like WoW is now".

Too be fair I bet most of those with the "Paid beta" excuse didn't even play WoW or Warhammer at release.