End game PvE. Any reason NOT to be biochem?

JSusie

It's an honest question. Other than having someone to use all the crafting schematics that drop, is there any real reason not to be biochem right now?

No. There is no rational reason to be anything other than Biochem outside of having someone to use the dropped crafting schematics in a raid environment.

As such, expect Biochem to continue being nerfed. :(

There are lots of reasons. Some people enjoy crafting. Some people don't want to do loads of dailies to get the mods/gear thats slightly better than the crafted ones. Crafting is a big source of orange gear and other items that people want to buy.

I can see how Biochem might be advantagous in PvP, but since I don't really know how much of a game changer it is. However, for PvE, if you 'need' biochem in order to do content then you are either not playing your class correctly or your healers aren't doing their job correctly - don't get me wrong, its useful but by no means mandatory. If your guild is forcing you to take biochem, my advice is join a better guild.

Edited by Ghost_Dancer

No. There is no rational reason to be anything other than Biochem outside of having someone to use the dropped crafting schematics in a raid environment.:(

I've said it before, I'll continue saying it - crittically crafted Rakata gear (bracers, belts), is BoP and is THE best gear to that slot currently ingame. Mods from dailies don't come even close. And plus the bonus from augment slot.

I've said it before, I'll continue saying it - crittically crafted Rakata gear (bracers, belts), is BoP and is THE best gear to that slot currently ingame. Mods from dailies don't come even close. And plus the bonus from augment slot.

And if someone who can benefit from those pieces doesn't already have them while raiding, they need to rethink their commitment to being a raider. You don't have to keep that crew skill in order to keep using the equipment.

Its' only a few hundred thousand credits to regrind a crew skill to 400.

There are lots of reasons. Some people enjoy crafting. Some people don't want to do loads of dailies to get the mods/gear thats slightly better than the crafted ones. Crafting is a big source of orange gear and other items that people want to buy.

I can see how Biochem might be advantagous in PvP, but since I don't really know how much of a game changer it is. However, for PvE, if you 'need' biochem in order to do content then you are either not playing your class correctly or your healers aren't doing their job correctly. If your guild is forcing you to take biochem, my advice is join a better guild.

I am a healer. You're missing my point entirely.

I'm in an end game PvE guild. We have all HM down, and a decent portion of the NM modes. There is absolutely nothing for crafted gear that comes even remotely close to being usable. So all it boils down to is the ability to make me credits, and save me credits. And with the copious amounts of stims/adrenals/medpacs I go through on each and every night I cannot see any single reason to have anything other than Biochem.

I don't care about crafting, I just want to be as efficient as possible.

Some people enjoy crafting.
Personal preferences are by definition irrational. :D

Some people don't want to do loads of dailies to get the mods/gear that's slightly better than the crafted ones.
Then they should rethink their commitment to raiding.

Crafting is a big source of orange gear and other items that people want to buy.
Given the current game build, someone raiding in orange gear needs to rethink their commitment to raiding.

I can see how Biochem might be advantageous in PvP, but since I don't really know how much of a game changer it is.
lolPvP

However, for PvE, if you 'need' biochem in order to do content then you are either not playing your class correctly or your healers aren't doing their job correctly - don't get me wrong, its useful but by no means mandatory.
If it is useful, then not taking it is foolish. Absent an alternative that provides equal or superior benefits ...

If your guild is forcing you to take biochem, my advice is join a better guild.
I may be mistaken, but I don't see anything in the original poster's post that mentions this. Mind quoting the bit where it was said?

Its' only a few hundred thousand credits to regrind a crew skill to 400.

It may come as a suprise, but there are players, that dont care about grind, and who chose path for their character and stick to it. The kind of players who chose their skill at start to have it for "eternity" The kind of players who don't respec to current best and consider dualspec a mindless tool.

It may come as a suprise, but there are players, that dont care about grind, and who chose path for their character and stick to it. The kind of players who chose their skill at start to have it for "eternity" The kind of players who don't respec to current best and consider dualspec a mindless tool.

Its' not surprising at all. I happen to be one of them (on some of my characters). Our existence is merely irrelevant to the question being asked.

Ha ha. I knew someone would flame me for my comments.

Then they should rethink their commitment to raiding.

I am committed to raiding, but I'm not going to spend hours doing something I don't enjoy - after all, this is a game not a job. However, for HM and NM then yes I guess it could benefit those (not done them so can't comment).

Given the current game build, someone raiding in orange gear needs to rethink their commitment to raiding.

They way I look at it is that as long as the bosses go down then the gear is good enough. I know some people like to be the best and do the most dps etc., but some people put more emphasis on having fun than having the very best gear that its possible to obtain, as long as the gear is sufficient for the job (again, HM & NM might be a different kettle of fish).

lolPvP

Indeed.

If it is useful, then not taking it is foolish. Absent an alternative that provides equal or superior benefits ...

You obviously missed all the other points I made, but to reiterate, people play the game for different reasons and get their enjoyment in different ways. Not everyone is into min/maxing, and you don't have to do that do enjoy raiding.

I may be mistaken, but I don't see anything in the original poster's post that mentions this. Mind quoting the bit where it was said?

I never said he did :-p the sentence began with the word "if". I only put this in because I know that some guilds make such requirements.

Edited by Ghost_Dancer

The other crafts dont make anything useful.

It doesnt matter how much they nerf biochem, if all it is is a reusable stimpack that gives +10 to your primary stat and nothing else, thats still better than the other tradeskills, so still the only real choice unless you just want to make useless armor/weapons for roleplay reasons.

What they actually need to do is make the reusable stuff not bop, then everyone can get them, and then everyone does not have to have biochem.

It's an honest question. Other than having someone to use all the crafting schematics that drop, is there any real reason not to be biochem right now?

For me the biggest reason for a toon to NOT be biochem is that Bioware will get around to adjusting crew skills.

You can count on it. Biochem right now may be one of, if not the best option but you can bet on bioware looking at all the posts and will be changing all the others.

It just depends on can you stick it out with what you have or will you change to biochem now?

Knowing there is a high possibility that you may want what you originally had when bioware makes adjustments to all the other crew skills?