Can I mod an item without binding it?

JoNike

• 3 weeks later...
No this is not possible. Modding an item will bind it to you. This is to prevent players from lowering the level of an item. Armoring changes the level of armor and hilts/barrels change the level on weapons. For example Smuggler cowboy hats are available at lvl 46. This is to prevent a high level friend from removing the mods and giving it back to you so that you can put your own lvl mods in the item, thus making it wearable at a lower level.

Not sure about mods but I've added augment slots to mastercrafted armor without binding.

I did encounter a bug with that though. I accidently right clicked an armor piece that I had crafted, for which I wasn't high enough level for, and didn't get a message about 'binding', but instead got the message that I wasn't high enough level. As a result, it was bound. So be careful with crafted items and right clicking. :)

Hi,

everytime I try to open the mod window for an unbound item (ctrl+right click), the game tell me the item is going to be bound to me. Is it possible to mod an unbound item at all?

Thanks!

I've modded items for my alt before without a problem, so it should work. Just make sure you have the item in your inventory and then shift + right mouse click.

If mod you insert in an unbound item is used, the item will become bound to you.

Edited by ZingFreelancer

Hi,

everytime I try to open the mod window for an unbound item (ctrl+right click), the game tell me the item is going to be bound to me. Is it possible to mod an unbound item at all?

Thanks!

putting a new mod to the item does not bind the item,. Getting mod out of the item will bind the item. Not sure about replacing tho.