PVP is an utter disaster right now.

Jarbarian

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carnage has been bad for quite some time now.

Anni could use some sort of immunity for 6 sec or smth, 'cause everytime I place my dots and just before tha smash, I get pushed, stunned etc. They are also very bad against snipers, cause of all the rooting etc.

6 sec immunity to controlling effects every 30-40 sec would be great.

Carnage is terrible in PvP

Eh....not really. Its just not braindead like fury. Burst potential is waaay higher on carnage, it just lacks the invulnerability that fury has and the burst window is much smaller on carnage compared to fury. Granted I'd never take it into solo ranked over Fury, but solo ranked is a garbage formate to begin with so whatever.

That said, their utility is through the roof. Predation on a 30s CD that also breaks roots. Blade blitz breaking roots, potential for double camo, obfuscate, undying rage etc.....Granted they are nowhere near like how they were in 2.x era I believe it was where the set bonus plus the skill tree talent could literally turn undying rage into a 45s cd lmao, but marauders overall are fine right now.

Anni could use some sort of immunity for 6 sec or smth, 'cause everytime I place my dots and just before tha smash, I get pushed, stunned etc. They are also very bad against snipers, cause of all the rooting etc.

Snipers are just stupid in general with how tanky they have become. They used to be just a counter to melee that you had to be smart to deal with. Now, just don't even bother with a sniper.

Snipers are just stupid in general with how tanky they have become. They used to be just a counter to melee that you had to be smart to deal with. Now, just don't even bother with a sniper.

The only viable mara spec against snipers is Fury and has been since 5,x. Even when Canage was a better over all pvp spec in most of 5.x, Fury was still better against snipers because of their better mobility.

So glad I saw this. Makes me feel less like I don't know what I am doing, and more like I am Sisyphus. But at least it is not JUST because I may be incompetent. Still gearing, though. Cash poor...working on it.

Combat/Carnage is a lot of fun and, for whatever reason, hits a bunch harder than Concentration or Watchman. Mileage varies, though, I guess. Back in the day (way back) I loved Watchman. It was THE spec. These days, the only one I feel comfortable using is Combat. Concentration feels...clunky. It does not flow for me.

Am I wrong? Is the burst lower? Just bought Fanged God Form for Combat and it is...interesting. Now I just wish I had more Zen up time.

The only viable mara spec against snipers is Fury and has been since 5,x. Even when Canage was a better over all pvp spec in most of 5.x, Fury was still better against snipers because of their better mobility.

I mean, since 1.0 the smash spec has always been decent at combating snipers simply because the secondary leap works on cover. The added invulnerability to CC certainly helped a lot as well, but all the insane buffs snipers have its still kind of a crap shoot.

Combat/Carnage is a lot of fun and, for whatever reason, hits a bunch harder than Concentration or Watchman. Mileage varies, though, I guess. Back in the day (way back) I loved Watchman. It was THE spec. These days, the only one I feel comfortable using is Combat. Concentration feels...clunky. It does not flow for me.

Am I wrong? Is the burst lower? Just bought Fanged God Form for Combat and it is...interesting. Now I just wish I had more Zen up time.

Carnage has always been the best spec when it comes to raw burst. Fury used to be the aoe burst spec, but it was so broken they turned it into a single target burst / sustained hybrid type class. The burst window is a longer and a bit more upfront, but carnage hands down will out burst fury. Its just super easy to lose that burst window with carnage and always has been though which is why fury gets the leg up on the spec because force crush gives them invulnerability to CC every 30 seconds.

And ya I miss old school watchman / Annihilation spec. Ever since they added in that second dot and removed the 0 meter leap I just lost complete interest in the spec. The second dot and the change to how cauterized work just made the rotation clunky. Also losing the slows on dots imo hurt the spec in pvp as well as the massive nerf it got to self heals back in 2.0 I think it was.

Edited by Raansu

I mean, since 1.0 the smash spec has always been decent at combating snipers simply because the secondary leap works on cover. The added invulnerability to CC certainly helped a lot as well, but all the insane buffs snipers have its still kind of a crap shoot.

Carnage has always been the best spec when it comes to raw burst. Fury used to be the aoe burst spec, but it was so broken they turned it into a single target burst / sustained hybrid type class. The burst window is a longer and a bit more upfront, but carnage hands down will out burst fury. Its just super easy to lose that burst window with carnage and always has been though which is why fury gets the leg up on the spec because force crush gives them invulnerability to CC every 30 seconds.

And ya I miss old school watchman / Annihilation spec. Ever since they added in that second dot and removed the 0 meter leap I just lost complete interest in the spec. The second dot and the change to how cauterized work just made the rotation clunky. Also losing the slows on dots imo hurt the spec in pvp as well as the massive nerf it got to self heals back in 2.0 I think it was.

Before I had Fanged God Form, I was using the tactical...something offense? Well, whatever it was, I hit for 56k. Dunno if that is a good or only mediocre hit, but I was pleased. Never hit even close to that hard with Concentration. With the new tactical, I think my best hit so far has been 51k.

Still, it seems proportionally that burst does not mean what it used to mean. You mentioned a few days ago that TTK has been increased and I sensed the change since rejoining pvp and commented about it. Even a 56k hit is not quite 20% of an opponent's health. A good hit back in 2016 was about 24-26% or slightly more of an opponent's health. That's a significant reduction.

My gear is still not optimized, but when I occasionally remember to look at hardest hits on the score boards, the biggest hits are not out of range of what I have done. Wish the TTK was reduced again. Dunno why it was changed. :confused:

Its because health pools are massive now on top of the fact every class has an insane amount of self sustainability to make them "viable" in solo ranked arenas (some more insane than others, but its still overall stupid how tanky every class has become).

Back at launch the average health pool was like 14k for a dps and around 16k-18k for a tank. A big crit was like 5k, so ya you get the idea of how big of a chunk that was in comparison to today where health pools are nearly 300k. A 50k crit is whatever because you're looking at a roughly 17% big hit vs a nearly 35% big hit back in the day.

Its because health pools are massive now on top of the fact every class has an insane amount of self sustainability to make them "viable" in solo ranked arenas (some more insane than others, but its still overall stupid how tanky every class has become).

Back at launch the average health pool was like 14k for a dps and around 16k-18k for a tank. A big crit was like 5k, so ya you get the idea of how big of a chunk that was in comparison to today where health pools are nearly 300k. A 50k crit is whatever because you're looking at a roughly 17% big hit vs a nearly 35% big hit back in the day.

Yes, TTK is the biggest problem in PvP right now. It's waaaaaay too high. This is a combination of too may DCDs and over the top healing and protection as well as a broken guard mechanic.

The second biggest problem is that the majority of the maps and games were designed when the level cap was 50, so they don't take in huge increases in movement and survivability.

The third biggest problem is PvP rewards suck. There is no way to gear up with PvP and there is no incentive to world PvP.

Yes, TTK is the biggest problem in PvP right now. It's waaaaaay too high. This is a combination of too may DCDs and over the top healing and protection as well as a broken guard mechanic.

The second biggest problem is that the majority of the maps and games were designed when the level cap was 50, so they don't take in huge increases in movement and survivability.

The third biggest problem is PvP rewards suck. There is no way to gear up with PvP and there is no incentive to world PvP.

Ya, arenas have ruined warzones. I bought grit teeth for my guardian the other day and its just laughable how long I can stay alive now. Probably only helps a little in solo arenas because its always all dps, but in warzones? Lawl. I pop focused defense first and by the time I even need to use my other two CD's focused defense is basically off CD again because I took the utility that drops it to 1:30 CD timer.

I don't want swtor to do the extreme that WoW did with its skills squishes because that game became boring because of it, but I do think the devs need to take a hard look at the game and do a hard reset on everything. Too many classes have too much utility and it needs to be toned back down, but sadly that will never happen because arenas are a thing.....Damn what I'd give for them to just get rid of arenas and bring back ranked warzones. Even a solo ranked mode would work better than solo ranked arenas and it makes me angry they never even attempted it with ranked warzones before getting rid of them in place of arenas (a format that even the WoW devs admitted was a mistake to create.)

And ya, pvp rewards are a joke right now lol.

Ya, arenas have ruined warzones. I bought grit teeth for my guardian the other day and its just laughable how long I can stay alive now. Probably only helps a little in solo arenas because its always all dps, but in warzones? Lawl. I pop focused defense first and by the time I even need to use my other two CD's focused defense is basically off CD again because I took the utility that drops it to 1:30 CD timer..

Here's the great thing. Grit Teeth ticks your ED down even when you take guard damage! rofl

I don't want swtor to do the extreme that WoW did with its skills squishes because that game became boring because of it, but I do think the devs need to take a hard look at the game and do a hard reset on everything. Too many classes have too much utility and it needs to be toned back down, but sadly that will never happen because arenas are a thing.....Damn what I'd give for them to just get rid of arenas and bring back ranked warzones. Even a solo ranked mode would work better than solo ranked arenas and it makes me angry they never even attempted it with ranked warzones before getting rid of them in place of arenas (a format that even the WoW devs admitted was a mistake to create.)

Well said.

Edited by StrikePrice

Here's the great thing. Grit Teeth ticks your ED down even when you take guard damage! rofl

lmao what!? Damn that explains why I had it available so much during a huttball match when I kept guarding the ball carrier.

Here's the great thing. Grit Teeth ticks your ED down even when you take guard damage!

This is unequivocally false. I suggest you test it for yourself, as others before you have already done, to determine for yourself..

Edited by septru

Which is fine imo. Burst is burst and honestly I think all the burst specs should have similar burst given the general TTK in this game is waaaaay too high with literally the exception of VG's who are glass cannons which is why I say they are the most balanced.

So in other words you're saying u want to kill as fast as possible and WZ's should go as fast as possible. So you really want to just get the match over with?

Edited by NoaFlux
grammar

During 5.0 this was true. Since 6.0, they have monster burst, and they are doing about 1.5X too much DPS.

TL;DR

PT DPS are definitely over-performing.

Totally agree. I left the game for years. Came back during 5.0 and was really satisfied with the PVP. After 6.0 every single match has been one sided, my team either wins by huge margins or loses by huge margins. I also see players who have no stealth abilities appearing in front of balls and doors out of nowhere. My connection was fine. Maybe it was there's.

So in other words you're saying u want to kill as fast as possible and WZ's should go as fast as possible. So you really want to just get the match over with?

What I'm saying is, heaven forbid you die in pvp. There's too much utility given to all these classes. Most of the DPS are practically tanks now because BW decided to balance everything around solo arenas, which was beyond stupid. There's too much mobility and speed buffs and self heals and all this other nonsense going on.

Snipers for example. Back in the day they were already pretty difficult to deal with as a melee, which is fine, they counter melee by having anti-leap in cover and entrench to give the immunities to stun. Their weakness was supposed to be their lack of mobility and being forced into place. Now? lmao they are so mobile its stupid. They don't lose entrench when they come out of cover, they gain defense and speed boosts popping out of cover, they can roll all over the place multiple times with a reset skill CD and they have a ton of self heals. They are literally tanks.

Then there's the ops having 100% immunity rolls and hots on them (which hots used to be healer only and should have stayed that way) mercs have 3 h2f skills, sage healers having a bunch of speed boosts when healing, barrier healing to full, grit teeth being a thing for guardians, predation being on a 30s CD that breaks roots and is an aoe speed boost when it used to cost a resource to burn and you had to choose between predation or berserk.....

The list goes on and on. There's just too much. Root breakers, speed boosts, immmunities self heals many of which used to be spec dependent are now class wide thanks to the utility system......its all over the damn place. Slows and roots are practically worthless now a days.

Totally agree. I left the game for years. Came back during 5.0 and was really satisfied with the PVP. After 6.0 every single match has been one sided, my team either wins by huge margins or loses by huge margins. I also see players who have no stealth abilities appearing in front of balls and doors out of nowhere. My connection was fine. Maybe it was there's.

One side matches have been a staple of swtor since day 1 of the games life. The "matchmaking" they introduced just simply made it worse.

Edited by Raansu

Snipers for example. Back in the day they were already pretty difficult to deal with as a melee, which is fine, they counter melee by having anti-leap in cover and entrench to give the immunities to stun. Their weakness was supposed to be their lack of mobility and being forced into place. Now? lmao they are so mobile its stupid. They don't lose entrench when they come out of cover, they gain defense and speed boosts popping out of cover, they can roll all over the place multiple times with a reset skill CD and they have a ton of self heals. They are literally tanks.

Recently, I had a sniper straight ignore my attacks until another opponent came to assist. It could be that my dps is garbage, but judging by the boards after warzones my dps is generally high side of average, low side of decent. Though the time it took to get the sniper to 50% escapes me, what time passed felt significant.

They are literally tanks.

It certainly felt that way to me.

There's too much mobility and speed buffs and self heals and all this other nonsense going on.

Snipers for example...

I completely agree with you, as do many others. Mobility creep is an issue. In the past Bioware has tried to fix this by introducing more slows to the game like the shatterslug slow, more 25% passive slows to abilities, tacticals that spread a slow, etc. But the slow creep has done little to combat mobility creep. Mobility abilities in this game just need to be flat nerfed. Predation (utility), hydrolics (with utility), sniper countermeasures (utility), force speed cd reduction (utility), are all great examples of unnecessary mobility increases.

If the mobility creep was nerfed I think TTK would go up significantly without actually changing numbers, DCDs, or anything meaningful that also effects PVE.

Edited by septru

What I'm saying is, heaven forbid you die in pvp. There's too much utility given to all these classes. Most of the DPS are practically tanks now because BW decided to balance everything around solo arenas, which was beyond stupid. There's too much mobility and speed buffs and self heals and all this other nonsense going on.

The only class that really has too much utility right now are imperial agents. The amount of mobility that they have is fine, but they do need a reduced amount of defenses to compensate for that mobility. Ops also don't have 100% immunity during rolls. Yellow damage isnt negated during those rolls, only ranged and melee damage.

I don't see any problem with classes having a good amount of utility. All that does is raise the skill ceiling for the class. Most classes i've noticed have 1-2 movement speed options,1 root-break, and 1 cc break. There is far too much cc in the game for classes not to have some form of root-break or movement speed break. Any class that didnt have a root-break would immediately die from being made an easy target by endless amounts of slows and stuns. You can still be slowed while white-barred.

Predation most definitely does not need a nerf. That is a marauder's only source of movement speed and rootbreak that allows them to stay in combat. The mad-dash rootbreak is a waste of an ability point that should be used on defenses.

Edited by Llacertus