If there was a third faction.. what would you want it to be?

Anysao

spoilers may be below from player comments and suggestions.

A strange question to the community. We all want a third faction for some reason or another. Maybe you want to be neutral. maybe you want a 3-way warzone. maybe you to worship a fat hutt. Maybe you just want it to be like some game called "rift" (oh please no).

But it can't be that easy. What about end-game Flashpoints and operations? Why would the neutral care about Darth Malgus? Why would the hutt cartel assemble a team to kill Karagga? Where would force-users come in?

I plan on putting in a thread in the suggestion box for a third faction, and while the odds are a billion to one, maybe if we have everything, it may come in the game. If you want to make an idea, please use following template (or so):

Name:

Story:

Classes:

Class explanations and stories:

Etc.:

Simple enough. Here is my idea:

Name: The Hutt Cartel (a splinter cell).

Story: With the galaxy (on the brink of) war, the Hutt cartel is targeted to be an ally, or an enemy. Some powerful Hutts are fed up with the weakness of their brethren; hiding, and signing treaties. Only self-defense can end the threat to the Hutt legacy.

Classes: Arms dealer (cunning), Mercenary (Aim) (needs new name due to AC), Jedi Exile (strength), Sith outcast (willpower).

Class explanations and stories: The arms dealer is like a smuggler, only more greedy, ruthless, and does more smuggling then revenge. The Mercenary is a defector from the Imperial army (due to different interests for soldiers), and has decided to work for the Hutts, hoping to earn some credits. The Jedi Exile is a failed Jedi Padawan, and chose greed over selflessness, and took his limited use of the force to the streets. The Sith Outcast is a Sith who was sent to be executed after a failed attempt to kill his master. He escaped, and found himself serving the Cartel.

Etc.: The force using classes are the strangest, but can easily be imagined, and put into story. I put one an Ex-sith, one an Ex-jedi because i could not make it believable by making both from one order. For the record, armor design-wise, the Mercenary uses blaster rifles and (with AC) assualt cannons, and bounty hunter armor, the arms dealer uses smuggler clothings and pistols, and the Force exiles remains undecided.

The creation of abilities are the easy part. with the abilities on the empire and republic already, Bioware needs to just come up with new names for them to work as a mirror.

I think i had a good start on all this. Of course, this is just in a nutshell. the rest would take 3 posts alone. What do you say my, fellow SWTOR-ys!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like the idea of a third faction, but only if they move away from the mirrored classes idea. Having 3 guys running around with the same abilities is kinda lame. That said, something like a dual wielding monkey knife fighter (Sentinel equiv) or an electrostaff parry monk (DnD style AC monk and Shadow equiv) would be kinda cool.

Overall I think a third faction would be really hard to work in story wise at this stage. I mean you could have a new force like the Hutts or Columi/Rakata/Tionese rise up out of the unknown reasons and attempt to take over the galaxy but it would need to sit on the end of the class story or else require a rewrite of the class stories to work them in earlier. Like sequel stuff is fine for 1 player games, I don't think it would work for a story driven MMO without a class quest re-write.

But to answer the question: I'd like to see the Rakata return or the Esh-ka band together and resume domination. Or maybe the Gree launching a droid army?

I like the 3rd faction idea (the outcasts of each current faction)

be easy enough to write into the current game, could be a new faction that both sides are aware of and have chosen to do something about it.

Edited by GhostNato

I kinda like the idea of a third faction, but only if they move away from the mirrored classes idea. Having 3 guys running around with the same abilities is kinda lame. That said, something like a dual wielding monkey knife fighter (Sentinel equiv) or an electrostaff parry monk (DnD style AC monk and Shadow equiv) would be kinda cool.

that is the stupidest idea ive ever heard. sorry, but this is STAR WARS. I give 0% support for this portion of it. why would there be monkeys and monks?

And I think they could add a third faction, but they need to be neutral. the mandalorians are with the empire, the gree are allied with the republic, so thats why i came to hutts.

Remember, they need to actually care about galactic events, like end-game FPs.

Revenites (sp?) Why not just allow people to choose / be exiled from their current faction. Expand on the lore a bit give them a major victory and a planet, wah la insta faction.

this,revan is pure awesome....i burnt three out of four kotor discs into near dust with repetitive playthroughs

that is the stupidest idea ive ever heard. sorry, but this is STAR WARS. I give 0% support for this portion of it. why would there be monkeys and monks?

And I think they could add a third faction, but they need to be neutral. the mandalorians are with the empire, the gree are allied with the republic, so thats why i came to hutts.

Remember, they need to actually care about galactic events, like end-game FPs.

I didn't mean literally monkeys and monks.... If you've never heard those phrases (specifically "monkey knife fighter") used descriptively I'm sorry you misunderstood.

And its more than just worrying about end game, they need to be worked in throughout the leveling processes too otherwise it doesn't make sense. 50 levels fighting the Sith, then I win and have to fight the Hutts who suddenly decided to rise up? I think it has to be someone who either hasn't appeared at all so far or else is very very minor in the story at the moment.

To be fair, there was *always* a third faction... it's just that both Starwars MMO's have failed to incorperate.

Imperial (Sith Empire, for this game)

Republic (Rebel alliance)

Hutts, or the Hutt Cartel.

As for Rift, the game's lore actually supports 4 factions... they are just being slow about incorparating what they need to... and I actually like games with more than 2 sides. Even if the 3rd side was greatly weaker or smaller in size than the first 2 ... the curveball is always welcome.

Back on topic, the cartel is pretty much a huge mixture of Hunters, Smugglers and Bodyguards - you may argue that some Force Sensitive cults, or Ritualistic bunch may freelance for the hutts... but basically, you'd have re-skinned two new classes... and two old classes.

Amusingly, it would require only a few different class quests for Bounter Hunters and Smuggler alike.

I'd like to see some Echani though, take on the "Knight/Juggernaught" roles - with unarmed weapons.

We gotta remember to keep these HEROIC, and keep them with original planets.

Like for the Revanites, why would they send people to Tatooine? Or Hoth? Or the prison world of Belsavis?

What is heroic about being a knife fighter? Who does this represent?

Remember, we need to expand on these, and not just say: "It would be cool if..."

Crime Underworld by far. There's just so much that can be done with that. If not Crime Underworld, then mandalorians, and if not mandalorians, then they could've always created a 'neutral' sub group for all the non lightside/darkside aligned characters/classes and figures, such as Politicians, Mercenaries, etc etc.

SW provides for a million of possible factions and classes, but this ain't SWG so no chance to develop all of that here.

Revanites would indeed be awesome. Mastering both light and dark side,The faction would be cool to be added onto the current factions. Something like an 'advanced' faction, where you ascend beyond what the imperials/republic can teach you.

Revanites would indeed be awesome. Mastering both light and dark side,The faction would be cool to be added onto the current factions. Something like an 'advanced' faction, where you ascend beyond what the imperials/republic can teach you.

Like a mini-faction; like you can move on from one faction into another... not a bad idea. But i dont know about Revanites. I love Revan and all, but they just don't have enough power to make it.

The Hutts would make the most sense.

They could have easily had Knights, Consulars and Troopers for Republic, Warriors, Inquisitors, and Agents for the Empire, and then had the Hutt Cartel with BHs and Smugglers.

For fairness they could add a third class to the Hutts, but I can't think of what that would be off the top of my head.

I think Wookie would be a pretty decent faction...Im sure Kazhyyk has lore alone beyond imagining

If you're going to even consider a species as a faction, at least spell them correctly.

Wookiee, I know... why two E's, but they have them. Two of them. Use them both, otherwise you might as well be typing wookey.

Kashyyyk, they are fond of their S sounds and the Y's... three of them.

Geeze, why do people say they love the giant furballs - yet NEVER spell any of it right?

On topic, the criminal underworld would be a good start - but don't they *technically* intermingle and in most cases, listen to the Hutts? Thusly, the Hutt Cartel would be them in the same?

those witches from the clone wars.

The Witches would more likely be an add on to the empire because they are darkside force users.

The third faction could be mandalorians like Xboxlax said because there is a flashpoint about how they break away from the empire.

It seemed like every planet had a native species that were sick of being used by both sides, maybe they can join up and fight both sides. There are lots of force sensitive on each planet, so that's not a problem.

I'd like to see the little elephant guys battle myself but idk.