The Point of Qui-Gon Jinn

Matth_Stil

If memory serves, Red Letter Media's Episode I tirade - sorry, review - postulated that Qui-Gon Jinn is a pointless character - wrong, says I: he championed Anakin. Obi-Wan inherited Anakin.

Anakin's fall was assured by Kenobi's reluctant tutelage. The point of Qui-Gon Jinn is diligence. His heart would've been in it.

But what says you...?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't quite say Qui-Gon was pointless, but he didn't totally need to be there either. There were better ways to set up the story.

His many questionable actions throughout the film didn't help.

Edited by Velaran

I have yet to see any Jinn defenders here (makes sense), soooo I'll say it again. Worst. Jedi. Ever. Almost pointless, boring character.

His dueling skills as a Master were also apparently sub par. He was cut down by an apprentice. Yes the apprentice of Sidious, & a Darth, but an apprentice nonetheless.

His only redeeming quality for me is that he appeared to be a Grey Jedi who trolled the council.

Edited by Darth_Solrac

I think Qui Gon was a demonstration of the divergence of what a jedi should be from what the council was becoming. Qui Gon did what he thought and felt and was right, and ignored the council when their sage opinion and his own differed.

This can be a recipe for disaster but, the council made a lot of questionable decisions during this time period. Among other things, if you stop and think about it, it makes no sense that Obi Wan trained Anakin at all. The entire council felt some foreboding about his future, so why didn't the 800 year old grand master of the jedi order train him, or Mace Windu, or some other very experienced master? And given his strength, why did the masters think not training Anakin at all, especially with the re-emergence of the sith now evident, was an even remotely good idea? Having a highly experienced master train Anakin makes much more sense than to hand him off to someone who has been a knight for all of 50 seconds lol.

Obi Wan simply wasn't ready, especially given that he grew up within the order and had never experienced truly deep emotional ties before. Part of why he missed Anakin's fall was that he was too attached to Anakin, and couldn't see the signs because he was wrestling with the first deep emotional bond he had ever experienced: his sense of brotherhood with Anakin. Qui Gon was needed to demonstrate the difference between someone who could have done the job, someone who couldn't have done the job, and the way jedi should act vs. the way the council was acting.

...Obi Wan simply wasn't ready, especially given that he grew up within the order and had never experienced truly deep emotional ties before. Part of why he missed Anakin's fall was that he was too attached to Anakin, and couldn't see the signs because he was wrestling with the first deep emotional bond he had ever experienced: his sense of brotherhood with Anakin...

Very good point! And some say the prequels lack nuance, lol!

I have yet to see any Jinn defenders here (makes sense), soooo I'll say it again. Worst. Jedi. Ever. Almost pointless, boring character.

His dueling skills as a Master were also apparently sub par. He was cut down by an apprentice. Yes the apprentice of Sidious, & a Darth, but an apprentice nonetheless.

His only redeeming quality for me is that he appeared to be a Grey Jedi who trolled the council.

Qui-Gon's combat form was next to useless in such tight quarters. he did what he could against Maul, but I think he knew his number was up and just had to hold him off so Obi-Wan could be ready to finish him. But I don't think Qui-Gon's strong suit was fighting. He was more of a guiding hand, following the will of the Force.

Liam Neeson played his role well in my opinion.

Prequels were great. Great story

stop drinking the Koolaid

This guy is right. The PT had great story elements and some great action. the romance and dialogue wasn't the greatest but I don't care. So long as there were droids to dismantle and Sith to butt-kick, I'm fine.

This guy is right. The PT had great story elements and some great action. the romance and dialogue wasn't the greatest but I don't care. So long as there were droids to dismantle and Sith to butt-kick, I'm fine.

Pretty much. The story, and the purpose, of the movies was to fill in Vader's rise. They nailed it and the visuals were great, which doesnt hurt. Some dingle berry posted a YouTube video of his critique and now everyone is like "OMFUG! I have to be cool like this dude and jump on the hating bandwagon!!!"""

Love stories always suck but such is life these days.

Qui-Gon's combat form was next to useless in such tight quarters. he did what he could against Maul, but I think he knew his number was up and just had to hold him off so Obi-Wan could be ready to finish him. But I don't think Qui-Gon's strong suit was fighting. He was more of a guiding hand, following the will of the Force.

Liam Neeson played his role well in my opinion.

What style was he? I had em pegged for Shien, or Shi Cho. Any Jedi Master, or Knight for that matter should be exceptionally skilled with a lightsaber. Yoda was a Counselor fossil, & he was.

Losing to an apprentice is.....hard to live down, or not in Jinn's case.

What style was he? I had em pegged for Shien, or Shi Cho. Any Jedi Master, or Knight for that matter should be exceptionally skilled with a lightsaber. Yoda was a Counselor fossil, & he was.

Form 4

Oh and:

In addition to his Force powers, Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the finest swordsman in the Jedi Order, having frequent sparring experience with many of his equally skilled contemporaries; notably Mace Windu. Indeed it was said that he was the only Jedi apart from his own Master, Dooku and Grand Master Yoda, who was able to fight Windu as an equal. Jinn was a master of the fourth form of lightsaber combat, Ataru. In combat, his bladework was wide and powerful, marked by heavy, two-handed slashes, and sudden flourishes to cover his flanks. Jinn's mastery of Ataru allowed him to easily defeat blaster wielding opponents despite the forms weakness to blaster fire.[4] Rather than focus on an overall strategy, Jinn prefered to adjust his technique based on the needs of the moment.[62]

Pretty much. The story, and the purpose, of the movies was to fill in Vader's rise. They nailed it and the visuals were great, which doesnt hurt. Some dingle berry posted a YouTube video of his critique and now everyone is like "OMFUG! I have to be cool like this dude and jump on the hating bandwagon!!!"""

Love stories always suck but such is life these days.

Yeah, I think the PT was great. I loved the action. I do think Grievous was too cowardly, but that's what Lucas was going for I guess.

Ataru form, which requires open space. And no Jedi had faced a Sith in this era. After Qui Gon was killed, the Jedi knew that the Sith were back and started training.

The Jedi Order then was weaker than I thought. Being killed by an apprentice just makes it hard to remember him seriously.

Apprentice in the rule of two isnt the same as a Jedi apprentice

Maul was a Dark Lord of the Sith, pretty bad azz in regards to fighting and force use.

The Jedi Order then was weaker than I thought. Being killed by an apprentice just makes it hard to remember him seriously.

Well form 4 requires much acrobatics and him being quite old makes using form 4 kind of weak. Plus Maul was younger and in his prime while Qui-gon was past his prime.

Koolaid

Hey, there were parts of the Prequels I liked. The overall story was made sensable by the EU. The actors were all pretty good. The action was okay, even if some of the moves in the lightsaber duels were repetitive.

The problem was the dialogue. Every single time someone opened their mouth they spewed stupidity, and the actions of many people just didn't make any sense.

Edited by Velaran

Apprentice in the rule of two isnt the same as a Jedi apprentice

Maul was a Dark Lord of the Sith, pretty bad azz in regards to fighting and force use.

That's cuz there is no Jedi apprentice, they're called Padawans.;)

Maul was a Darth, but there was only ever one DLS & that was Sidious. Maul was the apprentice. Trained well? Enough to kill a Jedi Master yea, but still inexperienced/young enough to show such reckless arrogance, which got em killed.

There were also 3 Sith in that time, Sidious, Tyrannus, & Maul. So the RO2 was void?

Well form 4 requires much acrobatics and him being quite old makes using form 4 kind of weak. Plus Maul was younger and in his prime while Qui-gon was past his prime.

Plus the fact, Qui-Gon's plan to go into an enclosed space to where Maul wouldn't be able to use his staff backfired on him. He tried to take an advantage away, by sacrificing his own advantage....but the only thing he sacrificed was his advantage.

There were also 3 Sith in that time, Sidious, Tyrannus, & Maul. So the RO2 was void?

No when Maul was around, Dooku was still apart of the jedi order.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Maul was a Darth, but there was only ever one DLS & that was Sidious. Maul was the apprentice. Trained well? Enough to kill a Jedi Master yea, but still inexperienced/young enough to show such reckless arrogance, which got em killed.

Think there was 4, Plageius was still alive, I think.

Padawan/apprentice, same thing ;)

Still not the same when it comes to Sith vs Jedi "apprentice". He is essentially an apprentice until he kills his master. But not the way most think of an apprentice

Dooku wasn't a Sith then. That was Palpatine's master, Plagueis.

Think there was 4, Plageius was still alive, I think.

Padawan/apprentice, same thing ;)

Still not the same when it comes to Sith vs Jedi "apprentice". He is essentially an apprentice until he kills his master. But not the way most think of an apprentice

Doubt that highly. Pretty sure Sidious had been the established DLS for a while when EP 1 started. His confidence, swagger, plans all said as much.

Those terms would normally be, but the fact that in this case one term belongs exclusively to 1 of those 2 polar opposite orders, makes them quite different too.