New Classes that aren't Force users...

Raybear

I think I can safely say you're never going to get to play a droid, as cool as that would be. Putting in robotic parts for players would require re-itemizing every single quest, flashpoint, operation and PvP vendor in the entire game. It's too big a job.

Which they are perfectly capable of doing. The only issue with them is....they would all look....the same with the exception of what skin was chosen to begin with as all droid parts are internal.

Out of curiosity, what the hell is the Defenestrator, anyway? A droid? A cyborg? I never could figure that one out.

Edited by terminova

Every MMO with a faction base of two adds two classes when they expand. Because BW IS (not hints at) a mirrored experience it should technically be easier since really they design one class and then just rename the skills and change the animations. Seems to simplify adding, not make it harder.

I don't buy the argument that it is easier. Two new classes, each with their own fully fleshed out class quests, the new VO to go with it (along with appropriate NPC counter reactions), each having 6 companions with their attendant quests and voice overs, and possible interactions with the class character itself...

Let me put it this way...I will be supremely impressed if they add another set of classes, knowing how much work will need to go into it.

Those saying that story is issue for Smuggler and Bounty Hunter. Not really. They should both start on Hutta, since it really is not an Empire control territory, as a neutral character. When you come to the end of the story of Hutta, then you decide if you join Republic or Bounty Hunter. Example when getting your ship you get told that it been taken. Your response is Let me guess to Corscant (Join the Republic), or Let me guess Dromund Kas. Same with the bounty hunter, since neither is loyal to either faction.

Trooper and Agent should be seprate side, but story not that hard to write. The biggest issue is you have to de-mirror Smuggler from Agent and Trooper from Bounty Hunter. This is the main reason I don't see it happen. Imagin the up roar from player when they see their class completely changed. Also have to deal with compain, mainly the Smuggler since your starting one hate the Empire.

As for the ship. Here what you can do, a Free Lancer dock (Smuggler and Bounty Hunter), Military dock (Trooper and Agent), and Jedi or Sith dock.

I don't buy the argument that it is easier. Two new classes, each with their own fully fleshed out class quests, the new VO to go with it (along with appropriate NPC counter reactions), each having 6 companions with their attendant quests and voice overs, and possible interactions with the class character itself...

Let me put it this way...I will be supremely impressed if they add another set of classes, knowing how much work will need to go into it.

You confusing complexity with time. It not that difficult to write a story, record voice over and design a character. And creating the programing. WoW did it, most mmo do with with some their expansion. Not that complicated, just require time. Is it worth their time in the future to create a new class. Only they can say. But is to so complicated. It better not or this game is dead, since they will have to expand into new worlds and stories, and that should be as complicated as making a new class.

It's hard to come up with a class that is unique enough to be distinguished from others considering advanced classes. Plus a class unique enough to have a fleshed out storyline.

SWG classes can't really be in this since they're merely weapon specializations for the most part. Either that or non-combat oriented.

All your typical responses won't work here.

Assassin - done with agent

Engineer - not combat oriented (plus we all are engineers with reverse engineering)

Any ideas?

I actually saw a dev quote about the class and hangar issue once. He said (without saying whether there would be new classes or not) that the hangars and starports aren't an issue. It's a simple job to add or subtract them because of how they're made.

That's good to know.

That aspect feels really daunting though. Say they add the hanger space, and I'll take the devs word that it's simple. What about all the necessary instance space for your class mentor/trainer? I suppose that gets added as well -- additional rooms at quest hubs, etc. Take the Sith Marauder class on Drummond Kaas for example...you get shuffled between two different rooms whilst finishing class quests there. I suppose BW can just add more rooms there as well...

Would be silly to think that none of this has been considered. No doubt they are designing a new class or at least in talks about new ones for future content. At least in the mmos I've played, at some point or another, a new class is added, if not classes.

I'm not saying it hasn't been considered. Of course it has been considered. I think it has been considered and deemed not likely to happen.

Most MMOs I've played that have added new classes don't have nearly the amount of new infrastructure that SWTOR would require. Not even close.

Two classes added to LOTRO, Warden and Rune Keeper, is a fairly typical example. You get, what, a class quest every 15 levels? Not a string of class quests like you do in SWTOR, nor the accompanying companions and their quests. All of this enhanced by VO.

Also, LOTRO provides an example of a dev team that considered an MMO staple, namely adding new races, and has rejected it. I see no reason why SWTOR might take a similar stance on adding new classes, especially since there isn't a compelling role/archtype missing that I can see. (except perhaps playing a droid).

I don't think that "difficulty" or "amount of work" really factor into BW deciding to add new calsses or not. It's an MMO. They're going to add new content regardless. The amount of work they choose to do depends on their budget and how well they want their expansions to sell.

I'd rather they raise the level cap at some point and further branch out the existing AC's. Maybe give each AC two more paths to brach into at lv50. They could add additional weapon choices for each class with the new paths.

For instance, a Powertech could choose a path that sticks with a single blaster and maybe adds a shotgun like the Scoundrel or take a different path that trades the blaster pistol for a carbine.

If they choose not to add any entirely new classes to the four basic classes that each faction has, they could always add a third faction with mirrors of the basic four. A new faction would have their own stations and hangers making it a bit easier to work them in instead of modifying the exiting stations.

A Pirate class comes immediately to mind as something that doesn't quite fit with the existing two factions but could easily be worked into a third faction. Pirate could mirror Smuggler.

If a third faction is based somewhat on the trade federation from eps. I-III then a playable droid class could easily be worked in. They'd just maybe need to modify the amount of mods a pc droid could equip and make it more in line with what the other classes can equip. A droid class would probably mirror a Trooper.

Then they'd just have to decide if they want to add two new force using classes that make sense as part of a third faction. I'm sure there are some expanded universe examples that meet the criteria.

You confusing complexity with time. It not that difficult to write a story, record voice over and design a character. And creating the programing. WoW did it, most mmo do with with some their expansion. Not that complicated, just require time. Is it worth their time in the future to create a new class. Only they can say. But is to so complicated. It better not or this game is dead, since they will have to expand into new worlds and stories, and that should be as complicated as making a new class.

Well, in this definition, nothing is complex then, ;) because, even things that are considered complex could essentially be rendered non-complex with time.

As I stated above, most MMOs don't have the massive underlying infrastructure associated with classes that SWTOR has.

As for lack of additional classes 'killing SWTOR', you'll have to wait in line with that excuse. Everyone has their own opinion when, how, and why SWTOR is going to die. I highly doubt your reason is any more or less valid than theirs.

But you are correct on one point: BW certainly CAN do this if they choose to devote the resources to it. Will those additional resources pay off? Or would they be better spent on additional quests (with all the VO and cutscenes) for the classes we have now as they increase in level?

Rather than have another class, I'd much prefer BW invest in more content for the classes we have now.

Those saying that story is issue for Smuggler and Bounty Hunter. Not really. They should both start on Hutta, since it really is not an Empire control territory, as a neutral character. When you come to the end of the story of Hutta, then you decide if you join Republic or Bounty Hunter. Example when getting your ship you get told that it been taken. Your response is Let me guess to Corscant (Join the Republic), or Let me guess Dromund Kas. Same with the bounty hunter, since neither is loyal to either faction.

Trooper and Agent should be seprate side, but story not that hard to write. The biggest issue is you have to de-mirror Smuggler from Agent and Trooper from Bounty Hunter. This is the main reason I don't see it happen. Imagin the up roar from player when they see their class completely changed. Also have to deal with compain, mainly the Smuggler since your starting one hate the Empire.

As for the ship. Here what you can do, a Free Lancer dock (Smuggler and Bounty Hunter), Military dock (Trooper and Agent), and Jedi or Sith dock.

THEN they would need to have TWO SEPARATE AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORIES, 1 for the Republic Bounty Hunter and 1 for the Imperial Bounty Hunter or you would end up with ZERO Story for both. Oh, and then you would need DIFFERENT SETS of Companions.

Now, you would have to do the above for the Smuggler, and possibly the OTHER Classes.

One more thing, the CURRENT Personal Storyline for the Bounty Hunter, is of a SPECIFIC BOUNTY HUNTER, not some random shmuck. Same for the Smuggler, and the other Classes.

It's hard to come up with a class that is unique enough to be distinguished from others considering advanced classes. Plus a class unique enough to have a fleshed out storyline.

SWG classes can't really be in this since they're merely weapon specializations for the most part. Either that or non-combat oriented.

Engineer - not combat oriented (plus we all are engineers with reverse engineering)

Any ideas?

Teras kasi artist, nuff said.

I only love my jedi and sith because melee is SO much more fun than ranged! :D

There needs to be a melee wookiee or something to make me not play my jedi/sith lol XD.

Ranged = boring.

That would be awesome! And do we even have bowcaster weapons like the wookies used?

Any ideas?

Best idea I got: maybe legacy will be (or should be) able to allow players to branch out and diversify their characters more. At least that's what I'm hoping when they say we'll be able to unlock new abilities.