Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Sith?

Selorian

Drew Karpyshyn, the 'guy' you are talking about, has never heard of that 'report' before.

He did leave BioWare to pursue other interests, among them screenwriting. So it's possible we could see him attached to future Star Wars films. The immediate future, of course, will be dominated by the Sequel trilogy. It's unlikely we'll see a Revan movie, but spin offs or other material might be produced for the Old Republic era.

That would be pretty Epic. (In response to above post.) But you (Meaning THEM - the writers and studios execs) will in the end have to relate it to the star wars that even the most ignorant off the street ditz knows about because THAT'S the cultural "Phenomenon," that has most worked its way into society and our cultural history.

As has been said, as much as we really all don't want to see Fisher and Hamill on the silver screen again, and as much as they might dread donning those costumes and characters, for the sake of making money, and making it recognizable as STAR WARS to the general public, you'll have to do just that. Continue those character's stories. Granted, I don't mind that, but IMHO, no will ever do it better than good ol' Tim Zahn in his "Heir to the Empire" Cycle.

For most of us here, I'm assuming, that WAS the next trilogy. But of course, as I said, for most people who don't know or don't care, all of this thousands of years of history of the star wars universe that has been so richly brought to life through the dozens of books and comics, (From which SW:TOR is in part based upon, as we all know) isn't considered CANON for the most part ( Yes I know this has been hashed and rehashed, suffice to say, I DO consider things like Zahn and TOR cannon, in my own mind) and won't be accepted as part of the "Phenomenon" or the cultural "Modern Mythos" That Star Wars and "The Big Three" (Luke, Han, Leia - NOT the actors) have become.

Oh, and it will probably be explosion heavy. My dear fellow SWTOR players, yes, you should go see this movie. We should all go to the Theaters and then come back to our TOR immediately after that. Don't expect deep, rich story and character exposition like some of the better SW authors and the creators at BioWare have given us. You say "Holocron" and you'll start losing people.

Anyways, my two cents.

May the Force be with you all.

That would be pretty Epic. (In response to above post.) But you (Meaning THEM - the writers and studios execs) will in the end have to relate it to the star wars that even the most ignorant off the street ditz knows about because THAT'S the cultural "Phenomenon," that has most worked its way into society and our cultural history.

As has been said, as much as we really all don't want to see Fisher and Hamill on the silver screen again, and as much as they might dread donning those costumes and characters, for the sake of making money, and making it recognizable as STAR WARS to the general public, you'll have to do just that. Continue those character's stories. Granted, I don't mind that, but IMHO, no will ever do it better than good ol' Tim Zahn in his "Heir to the Empire" Cycle.

Oh, and it will probably be explosion heavy. My dear fellow SWTOR players, yes, you should go see this movie. We should all go to the Theaters and then come back to our TOR immediately after that. Don't expect deep, rich story and character exposition like some of the better SW authors and the creators at BioWare have given us. You say "Holocron" and you'll start losing people.

Anyways, my two cents.

May the Force be with you all.

You are aware that Michael Bay is in no way associated with this film, right? It's directed by J.J. Abrams, the man who delivered Super 8 and Star Trek. And the screenplay is the work of Michael Arndt, who wrote Toy Story 3.

In short, I am expecting nothing short of a fantastic, deserving sequel not just to Star Wars but to the idea of Star Wars and the epic potential that it has sometimes achieved but always hinted at. I'm certain John Williams is composing the score as well, so the sound and mood of the films will be spot on.

Honestly, the writing in TOR feels stretched thin in many places. Some stories break new ground and are quite innovative and engaging, but so many other plotlines begin to feel recycled and stale after three planets that throw identical quests at you.

And why should the mention of a "holocron" drive the audience away? Great science fiction shouldn't be afraid to play to its strengths, which includes capturing the audience with fascinating technology and unusual ideas. No one balked when Star Wars introduced "astromech droids" or "the Force", so why should they shy away from the introduction of new materiel into a familiar setting?

All of the Legacy Era crap about sith returning makes me wonder just what Anakin did. The prophecy was that he would bring balance to the force, nobody knows what that even means. Balance as in leaving only a Jedi? That doesn't seem balanced. Was it just to rid the Force of it's Dark Side? Then why do Sith keep popping up afterwards? How was being the Chosen One important at all??

All of the Legacy Era crap about sith returning makes me wonder just what Anakin did. The prophecy was that he would bring balance to the force, nobody knows what that even means. Balance as in leaving only a Jedi? That doesn't seem balanced. Was it just to rid the Force of it's Dark Side? Then why do Sith keep popping up afterwards? How was being the Chosen One important at all??

Does no one watch movies anymore?

Is he not to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force?

"Balance" never meant equal. Rather, it's referring to the cosmic "flow" of the galaxy being off-kilter. What's the Force? It's an energy field that binds the galaxy together, right? What's the Dark Side? Fear, Hatred, Anger epitomized into powerful Force users. That's unnatural. Anakin's job is to remove that, which he did.

The problem is that The Prophecy wasn't official until '99, and by that point, the Sith in the EU had been resurrected several times over. This alone is one of the many reasons why the EU is going to be ignored in VII.

Edited by JekRendar

I always thought bringing balance to the Force meant that when Vader killed Sidious that meant that balance was restored since the Darkside lost the very instrument (Sidious) which tipped the balance of power heavily in their favor. Plus he gave birth to Luke Skywalker who restored the Jedi order, tilting the balance of power away from the darkside.

Edited by Odyseus