which companions stick around?

StockThorax

So, this is my first time playing through the story, I'm around chapter 10 in kotfe, and so far I have spent a lot of time and companion gifts leveling THREE companions that did not return. Khem Val, gone. Andronikos Revel, gone. Now HK-55, dead.

Which companions will stick around through the story so I stop wasting resources leveling influence on the ones that don't stick with me?

You can get your original companions back,if you played from level 1 at least. There is a Companion Locator Terminal in the Alliance Headquarters. It's in a small room just to the north of the Smuggler's room. It's the same room as the Commander's Datapad.

Which companions will stick around through the story so I stop wasting resources leveling influence on the ones that don't stick with me?

Most of the companions you get through Alliance Alerts stick around. So do most of the ones who show up during KoFE/ET.

However, besides those you've already mentioned, you will need to choose between Vette and Torian at one point. But if you've levelled one of them up, you can choose to 'save' them.

A simple almost non-spoiler answer - Kalyo sticks around, and is a good healer.

Also, the Companion Locator Terminal mentioned above can be used to summon any companions you've lost during KoFE/ET (I think). So, if you have a particular companion you've levelled, you can get them back.

Edited by JediQuaker

So, this is my first time playing through the story, I'm around chapter 10 in kotfe, and so far I have spent a lot of time and companion gifts leveling THREE companions that did not return. Khem Val, gone. Andronikos Revel, gone. Now HK-55, dead.

Short version (after the events of the latest story content) ... no one is 100% safe.

Long version, if you are looking for a list of companions that have a chance to go away:

• Marr - dies in chapter 2 of KOTFE nothing you can do about it
  • HK-55 - dies in chapter 8 of KOTFE, nothing you can do about it (If you were a subscriber throughout the release of the KOTFE chapters back in 2016, you got a bonus recruitment mission to get HK-55 back, if you did not sub during that time you are SOL)
  • Koth - if you piss him off enough (endangering citizens of Zakuul); make sufficient DS choices and he's gone
  • Scorpio - part of the story, can't change it, she/it betrays you toward the end of KOTFE. You do see Scorpio again in KOTET but does not return as a companion
  • Kalyio/Aric - you can kill/dismiss one or the other or keep both. Conversation choices.
  • Senya - leaves you to save Arcann at the end of KOTFE; you encounter her again in KOTET and can either fight and kill her, or take her back. This also determines the fate of Arcann: kill Senya kill Arcann, let Seyna live and Arcann joins you
  • Myriad recruitment missions are all 100% optional, that said there are a couple of recruitment missions where you choose one companion over another like Rusk and Skadge, Help Rusk track down Skadge at which point you get to choose which to keep. Pierce (imp) and M1-4X (pub) are faction based recruitment you get one or the other not both. But, so far, once you choose to recruit these companions they are yours to keep. However, they are not really part of the story anymore.
  • Empress Acina - I believe she is only a temporary companion for one chapter of KOTET, but in the story of Iokath later on, if you choose the Republic, she dies.
  • Vette/Torian - at the end of KOTET both are in danger you must choose which to help, the other dies.
  • Quinn/Dorn - during the story of Iokath depending on which side you choose you get one or the other (if you are playing a Sith Warrior and choose the Empire you can kill Quinn, but you do not get Dorn)
  • Theron Shan - latest story content has him betraying you for "The Order" there is no official resolution yet

HK-51 and Treek are two companions you never lose (though they are unavailable at times during story when no companions are available). Having them prior to starting KotFE/KotET means you'll be able to continue running crew skill missions virtually uninterrupted as you play through the chapters.