Seriously, why should people study...

Jarnaktane

...how to play Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones on the internet instead of logging in to the game and learning to play them by actually playing them.

I see all of the people who are elite (or think they are) in game and whenever a new player asks why they got booted, or what am I doing wrong, these champions of the game say things like google it, or check out this web page and that will tell you what you need to do. What the...?

Last night one of my friends actually got called a whole number of things because he hadn't studied how a warzone works before queueing for PVP! That is just phenomenally bad form!

Why should anyone be told to research how to play on the internet?

How about some of you champions taking the time to walk them through a flashpoint once instead of jumping up and down on the spot and spamming spacebar so you can get your dailies and then complaining that everyone is so bad. Reading the forums this morning, and people are getting roasted for not knowing how to play when they have only just subscribed to the game.

I am not actually coming back to the forums except to read the dev and patch notes from now on, so I guess the point of this post is that maybe one of these elite champions might treat new players a bit better, or at least stop directing people to study before playing.

Troll away...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you already trolled away OP...

It's common sense to look up info on something you will be getting involved with...guess real life concepts never clicked with you. :rolleyes:

But yeah, have fun being a cripple for WZs, etc. for the time being.

Edited by Eillack

But you already trolled away OP...

It's common sense to look up info on something you will be getting involved with...guess real life concepts never clicked with you. :rolleyes:

But yeah, have fun being a cripple for WZs, etc. for the time being.

No, it's not. What's normal is for the player to understand the mechanics of a game through trial and error.

Why would he want to "look up" something? What if it's his first time playing and he doesn't want to ruin what little shred of story there is to be found in these Flashpoints? And who are you to dictate his play-style.

Now i's my turn to :rolleyes:

The problem here is you and your friend are queuing for group content with no idea what you are doing. PVP isn't so bad, you can learn and it doesn't cost anything but time for you and others.

The big problem is in flashpoints and ops. If you don't know what you are doing and die or worse get the group killed, you just cost everyone 10k credits repair bill, EACH DEATH! That's not much but if it can be avoided simply by you reading how to fight a boss before you encounter it, do that! Don't complain when you get booted from group for doing something stupid.

This entire different generation, they seem to forgot about the excitement of not knowing what comes next. Looking up the game and reading the strategies ruins the game for some people. With the internet and instant guides these days, some people use them before experiecing the gameplay first. Once you start to memorize the mechanics in a video game, then it will start to get easier and tedious.

In my opinion, this issues goes along with the fact that games are easier and more casual than in the 80's and early 90's. In most old school games, you are expected to die multiple times before you finish. These days some people get mad as soon as they die once.

Edited by SentinelDranoel

This entire different generation, they seem to forgot about the excitement of not knowing what comes next. Looking up the game and reading the strategies ruins the game for some people. With the internet and instant guides these days, some people use them before experiecing the gameplay first. Once you start to memorize the mechanics in a video game, then it will start to get easier and tedious.

In my opinion, this issues goes along with the fact that games are easier and more casual than in the 80's and early 90's. In most old school games, you are expected to die multiple times before you finish. These days some people get mad as soon if they die once.

^This.

I don't want to watch a FP being ran, I want to run it.

What? Something happens, people die, expensive repair bill? Then go run some simple things and get the creds back. :p

To the OP, a lot of mmo gamers are just whiney little brats that can't handle losing because they were told everyone was special, and they think they're unique little snowflakes. A word to them, snowflakes aren't unique :p

In my opinion, this issues goes along with the fact that games are easier and more casual than in the 80's and early 90's. In most old school games, you are expected to die multiple times before you finish. These days some people get mad as soon if they die once.

^this exactly.

people now days go and look up every detail of every fight, and then proceed to ***** and moan after they have steamrolled through everything because they new exactly everything about the counter before even setting foot in it.

Give this person a medal, he gets it.

Back in the good old days of MMO'S players actually tried to enhance the community by teaching them raids,group content.. and the like. There was no oh look it up. It was taught and handed down.

Players built each other up. I've been playing mmo's since Eq1.. The attitude of look it up is one of the reasons people are sitting in ques so long to do things . If your to elitiest .. or whatever you wanna call your self to teach then your helping the community. Sure not helping the ques. Yes I realize some people are on limited time but hey id rather take time and teach someone then send them off to a web site where they may just say the hell with it. And then they just dont que up anymore.

As someone who has been gaming since before the Atari 2600 came out, you are wrong on so many fronts.

You are not playing a turn based, single player RPG from back in the day (Wizardy in my case), You could take all the time you wanted, die as much as was needed and it was all your time and effort alone. You are now playing an MMO that requires group coordination and tactics to succeed. Expecting the others in your group to be OK with spending three times longer than it should take (if you clear it at all) and to have to grind dailes to fund a repair bill so you can "get the excitement of not know what comes next" is selfish and rude. Go play Elder Scrolls or run another toon through their class storyline if you want to do that.

Have the courtesy of picking up some passing knowledge of the difficult fights, especially in an OP where seven other people need you to fulfill your role. I am always happy to give some help and pointers to new people to

help them along if someone states that they are new to the FP/OP and they listen and follow the directions.

As someone who has been gaming since before the Atari 2600 came out, you are wrong on so many fronts.

You are not playing a turn based, single player RPG from back in the day (Wizardy in my case), You could take all the time you wanted, die as much as was needed and it was all your time and effort alone. You are now playing an MMO that requires group coordination and tactics to succeed. Expecting the others in your group to be OK with spending three times longer than it should take (if you clear it at all) and to have to grind dailes to fund a repair bill so you can "get the excitement of not know what comes next" is selfish and rude. Go play Elder Scrolls or run another toon through their class storyline if you want to do that.

Have the courtesy of picking up some passing knowledge of the difficult fights, especially in an OP where seven other people need you to fulfill your role. I am always happy to give some help and pointers to new people to

help them along if someone states that they are new to the FP/OP and they listen and follow the directions.

Trouble is, not EVERYONE learns by reading. Some people learn by doing. It's just a different style, doesn't make it any less right or wrong.

Also, your statement that you help people along...I think what the OP was targeting are those that have the knowledge and just say "look it up, derp!" as opposed to helping a newbie through OP/FPs. Not everyone is going to use their game time, either, to pore over material for a FP as though it were a final exam.

I mean seriously, don't we play a game to get an escape from studying for stuff?

Trouble is, not EVERYONE learns by reading. Some people learn by doing. It's just a different style, doesn't make it any less right or wrong.

Also, your statement that you help people along...I think what the OP was targeting are those that have the knowledge and just say "look it up, derp!" as opposed to helping a newbie through OP/FPs. Not everyone is going to use their game time, either, to pore over material for a FP as though it were a final exam.

I mean seriously, don't we play a game to get an escape from studying for stuff?

................and you completely missed the point. Well done. When people say they have no clue what is happening is when I become frustrated and that is what the quote about "now knowing what comes next" is about. Have a page like Dulfy.net open as you run the OP and read on the mechanics before the pull so you do not run around like a chicken without a head and cause a wipe.

Every raid/operation team I've ever been a part of always encouraged its members to read up on the encounters before we stepped foot inside. I led groups like this too and found the whole experience less frustrating when people knew the basic mechanics.

I can agree, however, that this takes away from that feeling of "what's gonna happen next." I've found too that once you master one area and its bosses that it's not hard to quickly pick up on what new content is throwing at you. Obviously some group out there that's posting the strategies had to figure it out first!

I usually go into most group encounters blind unless I really feel like I need to be prepared. After playing MMOs for so long though I generally pick up on most fights quickly and don't cause too many issues. I don't think its appropriate to yell at people in flashpoints or warzones as these things are more casual and can be queued for with relative ease. It doesn't take long to explain basic mechanics to someone that may not know.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. :D

I don't expect everyone to look things up ahead of time, but personally I do. I hate being the only one in the group not knowing what's going on and slowing everyone down. Besides, I can't concentrate on story content in a group since I'm constantly wondering if everyone else has seen this a billion times already and is getting bored. Sure, that's my own problem, but it's what happens for me.

Well, I didn't look up Warzones ahead of time. It's not like PUGs are terribly organized and if that level 10 Trooper is kind of bumbling about a little more than everyone else... let's just say I don't think I would have made much a difference either way. Did a PUG really give you or your friend trouble for not knowing what to do? How did they notice in the first place? I've never had anyone talk to me personally during or after a Warzone.

Edit: I just saw the OP doesn't plan to come back to read the responses. Well, I'm going to take what they wrote with a grain of salt, then, if they aren't willing to further discuss the matter.

Edited by Lung_Tien_Lien

I don't expect everyone to look things up ahead of time, but personally I do. I hate being the only one in the group not knowing what's going on and slowing everyone down. Besides, I can't concentrate on story content in a group since I'm constantly wondering if everyone else has seen this a billion times already and is getting bored. Sure, that's my own problem, but it's what happens for me.

Just ask if it's a space bar run or if they want to watch the story. It's what I do. Even if I'd prefer spacebar runs, because it's so much less annoying to watch it than spacebar and stare at 'waiting for group members' until it finishes.

Just ask if it's a space bar run or if they want to watch the story. It's what I do. Even if I'd prefer spacebar runs, because it's so much less annoying to watch it than spacebar and stare at 'waiting for group members' until it finishes.

True, true. Still, there's something about having other people possibly wait for me that makes me uncomfortable. :o But yes, I should probably just ask in the future.

Why would he want to "look up" something? What if it's his first time playing and he doesn't want to ruin what little shred of story there is to be found in these Flashpoints? And who are you to dictate his play-style.

And who is he to waste MY time, and the time of all the other players in the group ? Playing your way is fine, as long as you don't negatively affect the people you are grouped with.

This entire different generation, they seem to forgot about the excitement of not knowing what comes next. Looking up the game and reading the strategies ruins the game for some people.

I don't want to watch a FP being ran, I want to run it.

Then run it with like-minded people, or a group of friends/guildies that understands your situation and wants to support you.

What? Something happens, people die, expensive repair bill? Then go run some simple things and get the creds back. :p

So, I should waste even MORE of my time, because you can't be arsed to put any effort into it, or because you think that your playstyle is somehow more important than the playstyle of everyone else in the group ? Yeah, how about no.

Not everyone is going to use their game time, either, to pore over material for a FP as though it were a final exam.

You're exaggerating. It won't take more than a few minutes, and the things you have to memorize are generally pretty simple.

Edited by LasherC

It's a quantity issue.

People cannot spend their play time instructing one person after another after another after another. Eventually, you have no time left to actually play the game. Teaching is also very boring for many people (which is why "teacher" is a paid job).

Random queues contribute to the problem because instead of forming bonds with people you run with regularly (making the time investment to educate them "worth it"), you meet stranger after stranger you're likely to never see again. This makes taking your limited play time away to explain things again a very poor personal investment.

I'm aware of how mean that sounds. I'm not judging the goodness or badness of the attitude. I'm just explaining why it has evolved — self-defense.

Edited by SW_display_name

I've never read guide on any fight before I got to it (I didn't see all fights in the game yet though). There was always somebody willing to explain fights before they started. In general I meet only very nice people in random groups mostly. Only once it wasn't like this, when I played first time LI and there were 3 new players in the group, the 4th one left in the beginning, but maybe he knew we wouldn't finish it, so it was for the best. I've never met anybody refusing to explain others the fight and hopefully I never will. Edited by zzoorrzz

Why should anyone be told to research how to play on the internet?

Maybe to avoid getting insulted by people who take the game too serious? Maybe to avoid getting kicked for being so lazy and not coming prepared? Maybe because not everybody wants to hold hands with a beginner? So, the question is more, why do one not! do it?

I blame the changes. Tanks need so much gear to be effective now. I already miss the days when hardmodes were difficult yes, but weren't insanely difficult. I don't mind teaching new people the new hardmode's, but having decent gear shows they can work toward something. If tanking wasn't so horrible in this expansion, there would be more tanks, hence the hour wait time. But I agree with the OP.