Crafting for profit, crafting skills that generate income based on "market"

benovide

Doesn't really mean much when you're making so little, and everyone else is making so much more.

Huh? I make 500k per day, only efforting to work crew skills an average of twice a day: once in the morning, and once in the evening. Sure, If I dedicated myself to being online every hour on the hour I could make 20 times that, but then I would not have a RL job that pays RL money. I would lose my house, car(s), and probably my family (not to mention my ability to play this game. :p

Fact is that the tips I listed have worked for me in MANY MMOs for more than a decade. So, I think I know what I am talking about.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW if resource gathering is not profitable, you have no room to even be discussing this topic.

Two rounds across Balmorra just grabbing Bronzium and Plasteel, can generate 600k worth in mats. five laps across dromund kaas gathering desh and silica, can generate 100k worth in mats. If you know the locations where it appears, it only takes an hour or two to do the full laps all the way through to the sith temple.

Doing laps for Chanlon, one lap for chanlon can generate 400k.

The GTN is never stagnent on mods and mats. It has never been stagnent on any server I have ever seen, if anything prices go up, not down. Demand is HUGE for mats just on their own without the mission mats. Chanlon can generate 1k-3k a piece. stacks of 10, 20, or 99 can generate 10k-300k credits.

If you're not generating rediculous profits just selling mats alone, you're doing it so so so very wrong.

But how long does that gathering take? Personally, i would rather spend 20 minutes running a set of dailies that more than makes up for the expenditure of running missions than spending any more than that running around a planet. But different strokes for different folks.

BTW if resource gathering is not profitable, you have no room to even be discussing this topic.

Two rounds across Balmorra just grabbing Bronzium and Plasteel, can generate 600k worth in mats. five laps across dromund kaas gathering desh and silica, can generate 100k worth in mats. If you know the locations where it appears, it only takes an hour or two to do the full laps all the way through to the sith temple.

Doing laps for Chanlon, one lap for chanlon can generate 400k.

The GTN is never stagnent on mods and mats. It has never been stagnent on any server I have ever seen, if anything prices go up, not down. Demand is HUGE for mats just on their own without the mission mats. Chanlon can generate 1k-3k a piece. stacks of 10, 20, or 99 can generate 10k-300k credits.

If you're not generating rediculous profits just selling mats alone, you're doing it so so so very wrong.

Lol two hours, jesus. Give me ten minutes buying mats on the GTN and q'ing up some crafting companions and I'll double that.

Lol two hours, jesus. Give me ten minutes buying mats on the GTN and q'ing up some crafting companions and I'll double that.

For people who aren't established enough to buy mats, gathering them turns huge profits. as far as time to gather them, it doesn't take long at all.

As far as generating income, there is a reason why some players have 10mil - 5Bil and others barely break 1mil. Selling Armoring 31s Artifact Quality today, I just broke 25 million selling them for 300k a piece. With only 80k in mats each. Selling only artifact quality Guardian Mods, I sold 50 of them at 400k each. Mats cost 100k roughly.

I've never found prices my items wouldn't sell for. I have a guild master who is already given me 20 mil of their guild credits as 1/3 payment for a bunch of Armor Plates and Mods usable for levels 20-40 of prototype quality. Each phase I get another 20mil from their guild bank.

Another guild who is next in line has a 15 mil contract for a bunch of mods and plates usable by levels 11-31. Because the bulk of their players are lower levels.

In your time, how many builds have actually come to you for your services vs not?

And as far as a life goes, I work 60hrs a week. And still make time to hop into the game to craft. get mats, buy mats, and still have time with my GF.

For people who aren't established enough to buy mats, gathering them turns huge profits. as far as time to gather them, it doesn't take long at all.

Err sure it does, you even said so yourself up above. You're basically saying "hours" time spent collecting mats, to me that's not making a profit, that's wasting my life. Much quicker to buy up mats on GTN, queue up toons to craft, and go do your thing ( unless that thing is doing laps gathering mats in which case I suggest re-evaluating ones life goals ).

As far as generating income, there is a reason why some players have 10mil - 5Bil and others barely break 1mil. Selling Armoring 31s Artifact Quality today, I just broke 25 million selling them for 300k a piece. With only 80k in mats each. Selling only artifact quality Guardian Mods, I sold 50 of them at 400k each. Mats cost 100k roughly.

One reason players have so much is they spend more time gathering mats than actually palying the game, as they don't play the game they don't have anything to spend money on. I get millions and I then spend millions, if I had nothing to spend it on I wouldn't both making the money in the first place.

Also what on earth are you talking about artifact 31 armourings? You mean level 31 right because you surely don't mean the top end craftable 31's.

I think you need to realise most people can do basic math and with what you say you create and sell vs the time needed to do so really doesn't stack up with "60 hours a week working and time for my GF".

my $0.02...

I'm only a n00b, but I've already discovered several avenues of generating a decent, steady income stream.

the most surprising was mid-level crafting materials. For BioAnalysis for example, there's a bit of a roadblock in the Grade 3 Bio Compounds (Hallucinogenic Compound in particular).

Hallucinogenic Compound is used in a LOT of really useful BioChem recipes and regularly sells for ~1k/piece (sometimes 800, I've sold it for up to 1,500 at times). If you're trying to pump your BioChem skill, you're going to need a hell of a lot of HC.

For Underworld Metals, Titanium (Grade 4) seems to be at a bit of a premium on supply with prices similar to, or a little higher, than the Hallucinogenic Compound alluded to above.

If crafting and making use of these kinds of materials doesn't appeal to you, there's a ready market out there of crafters who'll be happy to take it off your hands for the right price.

Given these are grade 3 and 4 materials, your minions can run the gathering mission in 10-15 minutes. I remember doing one hard mode flashpoint and re-deploying my minions everytime they returned on Grade 3 missions. I finished the flashpoint with >30 bits of Hallucinogenic Compound sitting in my inventory.

I may not get online to 'play' every day, but I do try and jump online to deploy my minions a couple of times a day. Usually once in the morning, once when I get home for lunch and maybe a couple of times in the evening. Last thing before shutting down for the night is to burn up any useable 450 skill mission sheets i've pulled in from Slicing (the main missions I run). These things take ~3 hours to complete and return a healthy wodge of materials.

It didn't take very long for me to have a 2-Bay cargo hold full to bursting with crafting materials.

• 2 weeks later...
Server I play on is Ebon Hawk, however, I've found roughly the same class distributions on the PVP servers, and PVE servers.

I guess since this post is a little old, and a different server, I guess things are a little different for me. Doing the math on some of the things of mats vs finished product I'm encountering either a slim margin of profit or a loss. Going much higher on the final products sell price also doesn't seem to work too great. Do you just buy your mats from GTN, or get them via crew skills? For the volume you're talking, I'm guessing you buy off the GTN.

At the end of the day, if you can't buy materials off of the GTN and craft them into something more profitable, then you should be selling the materials, not using them.

Obviously there are exceptions to this. For instance, while leveling a crafting skill, the actual skill-ups are your profit.

A simple way to turn profit from mats, is to just craft things that can get you multiple items when you crit during its production.

Armor and Weapons can make money, sure. But once someone finds a look they like, they only need that one chest piece, one maybe two weapons etc. Not to mention your fighting with Cartel Market Items and quest drops in terms of producing a look someone wants. But regardless of looks, everyone needs 14 Augments per toon. They need one or more Augment Kits every time they change their look. Tanks who have a DPS sets and a Tank set will need 28 Augments per toon and even more Augment Kits.

Augments and Augment Kits are both things where you can crit during production and get free items for the same ammount of mats.

So take Augments, as example. (prices are for sake of discussion as every servers GTN is different). Lets say you buy Thermal Regs from the GTN for 25K each. Thats ~103k to make a Purple quality Augment (the extra 3k accounting for the 2/2/2 Scavenging/Archeology mats if you obtain them purely from crew missions). Those same augments can sell for 125K or more. So after GTN taxes its more like n 15k profit per item (accounting for the 6% the GTN takes). But every time you crit, its an extra 115k in your pocket. So with one set of mats, you can total 130k profit or more.

That's not even getting into the Blue quality Augments, that while they sell for much less, their profit margins are typically much higher and still sell in volume.

If you take the time to look at what companions can make what, you can find that all the skills that can craft augments have a companion that gets a +5 crit chance for that craft. Add in legacy crafting and max affection, and you have a very high crit rate. Your ship droid can also be given a bonus to crit with certain crafts as well.

Augment Kits function the same way. Warriors and Knights both have +5 to Synth Crit and you can buy your ship droid +5 to Synth crit as well. So Q up 10 Kits at a time and come back in an hour to several crits making you loads of free cash.

Edited by Marius_Xerxes

Shadowlands is way different, and I don't think it's a population issue. It's closer to having too many crafters who don't pay attention to current rates.

One little example; When you have people making purple color crystals who try to undercut the less popular black/purple crystals instead of the pure purple ones, something is wrong. Then others undercut him, and the next, the next, the next...until purple color crystals are being listed at 29k instead of twice that!

You can't really make a profit at that price. I have 4 characters running treasure hunting missions for mytags, and I am lucky to get one crit for 3 mytags out of 20 missions. Half the time none at all. That's a bunch of credits spent just from missions, and not including the time/credits spent to get the other materials. Forget about buying mytags from the GTN, it's just not worth it.

Our server is full of inattentive goobs who have no clue how to price check, and match.

Look into 450 treasure hunting missions and how much they cost. You get an automatic amount of mytags, more if you crit.

On my server, those particular missions go for 7-10k a piece.

For the undercutting problem, it happens on every server. It should come and go in waves. They usually last a few weeks to a month or so. They will undercut so low that most will bail on spending their time on selling whatever is making little to no money, and the prices will creep back up. Grade 28 purple augments (almost all types) dipped to being as low as 65-70k for awhile on my server a few months back. They are now steady again at th 125-130k mark for the past few weeks. You just have to weather the storm, as it were, and let the not so serious sellers get bored and move on.

A simple way to turn profit from mats, is to just craft things that can get you multiple items when you crit during its production.

Armor and Weapons can make money, sure. But once someone finds a look they like, they only need that one chest piece, one maybe two weapons etc. Not to mention your fighting with Cartel Market Items and quest drops in terms of producing a look someone wants. But regardless of looks, everyone needs 14 Augments per toon. They need one or more Augment Kits every time they change their look. Tanks who have a DPS sets and a Tank set will need 28 Augments per toon and even more Augment Kits.

Augments and Augment Kits are both things where you can crit during production and get free items for the same ammount of mats.

So take Augments, as example. (prices are for sake of discussion as every servers GTN is different). Lets say you buy Thermal Regs from the GTN for 25K each. Thats ~103k to make a Purple quality Augment (the extra 3k accounting for the 2/2/2 Scavenging/Archeology mats if you obtain them purely from crew missions). Those same augments can sell for 125K or more. So after GTN taxes its more like n 15k profit per item (accounting for the 6% the GTN takes). But every time you crit, its an extra 115k in your pocket. So with one set of mats, you can total 130k profit or more.

That's not even getting into the Blue quality Augments, that while they sell for much less, their profit margins are typically much higher and still sell in volume.

If you take the time to look at what companions can make what, you can find that all the skills that can craft augments have a companion that gets a +5 crit chance for that craft. Add in legacy crafting and max affection, and you have a very high crit rate. Your ship droid can also be given a bonus to crit with certain crafts as well.

Augment Kits function the same way. Warriors and Knights both have +5 to Synth Crit and you can buy your ship droid +5 to Synth crit as well. So Q up 10 Kits at a time and come back in an hour to several crits making you loads of free cash.

All the same can be said for armor. People change their look, people have DPS sets, etc.

All the same can be said for armor. People change their look, people have DPS sets, etc.

Not really at all. You can't crit when making armor, and get 2 pieces for the cost of one set of mats. All you can get is the free augment slot. Even then, the sell price isn't automatically double the non crit result. That was the point of that post, making your mats stretch as far as possible.

And as I mentioned, armor/weapon crafters have to contend with the Cartel Market, Reputation vendors and quest drops for gear looks. I feel pretty confident (based on nothing more then observation on my server only) that most individuals looks are gear pieces obtained via the Cartel Market and Rep vendors already. So selling those wares in volume (compared to my example items) is difficult.

So in the end, with my example, only other crafters are working "against" you in trying to sell those specific wares, rather then the alternative of crafters, vendors, quests and the cartel market working against you if your selling armor/weapons.

It's a easy and rather inexpensive investment to get setup and start making money in game.

Just to note that I get 4 TR for something around 24k credits (6 or 8 alts on Unslicible) ... and 6-7 augments (5 - 8 actually but most times 6 or 7) from 5 queued on Armormech with 5% on comp and 3% legacy... even on server they sell about 80K per one = around 400K profit per 5 queued.

1 run on alts while drink my coffee at the morning and 1 when log on/log off at evening.

Same with kits - 2 queues of Q10 parts (3 and 2 companions each) = 1 queue for kits = 6-7 kits for 150k in mats = 400K profit.

But kits require tons of mats - full set (14) need above 2 stacks of each scavenging material... take too much time to gather so only crafting them for myself, friends and guild.

Just to note that I get 4 TR for something around 24k credits (6 or 8 alts on Unslicible) ... and 6-7 augments (5 - 8 actually but most times 6 or 7) from 5 queued on Armormech with 5% on comp and 3% legacy... even on server they sell about 80K per one = around 400K profit per 5 queued.

1 run on alts while drink my coffee at the morning and 1 when log on/log off at evening.

Same with kits - 2 queues of Q10 parts (3 and 2 companions each) = 1 queue for kits = 6-7 kits for 150k in mats = 400K profit.

But kits require tons of mats - full set (14) need above 2 stacks of each scavenging material... take too much time to gather so only crafting them for myself, friends and guild.

Yeah just difference in servers and RNG success rates, I suppose.

My lifetime cost for Therm Regs (from gathering) is sitting between 15-18k a piece. I get similar results as you crafting from +5 Armormech, +5 Armstech and +5 Syntheaving along with full affection and full legacy crafting. Augments on my server sell (currently) an average of 120k a piece. Some go for ~110k and others ~135k.

The only real difference between us with Augments is my RNG luck on gathering missions and the higher sell prices on my server. Mostly the higher sell rates though.

For kits, my mat cost to make ten kits is only around 60k. Even with no crits (though normal for me is 3-4 crits), those ten kits sell for ~75k (so ~750k for all ten) on the low end for me. One crit cancels out my mat costs, two crits compensate the 6% that the GTN takes away and any crits after the first two are essentially free money.

So I just came back to the game recently and have rolled a new toon. I'm sitting at level 45 and have Underworld Trading at 200 and Salvaging at 300 something. I picked up Cybertech but it's still at 0.

Am I correct in assuming I could make a fair profit at just creating blue quality armor mods for people in the 10-20 level range?

If so what level do I need to get my Cybertech up to?

So I just came back to the game recently and have rolled a new toon. I'm sitting at level 45 and have Underworld Trading at 200 and Salvaging at 300 something. I picked up Cybertech but it's still at 0.

Am I correct in assuming I could make a fair profit at just creating blue quality armor mods for people in the 10-20 level range?

If so what level do I need to get my Cybertech up to?

Lots of people say they can/do make a good amount of cash making items in that range. Im looking into expanding into it myself. Without logging in and looking at my cybertech toons, I cant recall what level you need it to be at to make those. Ive always just max'd out my crafting and gathering skills once I have chosen them for a particular toon.

That's what I'm wondering. I don't see stuff going for the prices he's charging on ebonhawk. Mods/armorings are selling for less than half that.

Just depends on server like everything GTN related.

Grade 31 (72) Armorings, Mods, Hilts, Barrels and Enhancements go for 1mil+ on my server. Grade 30's (69) for 300-500k.

I don't sell any of that stuff, but those are the kind of prices I routinely see when I look that stuff up.

Just depends on server like everything GTN related.

Grade 31 (72) Armorings, Mods, Hilts, Barrels and Enhancements go for 1mil+ on my server. Grade 30's (69) for 300-500k.

I don't sell any of that stuff, but those are the kind of prices I routinely see when I look that stuff up.

Yeah but that's the thing, I'm on HIS server lol.

Yeah but that's the thing, I'm on HIS server lol.

You might want to check the date on the OP, this thread is going for quite some time and I assume prices changed. I don't know, might still be exaggerated, but this might be the reason.

OT: I am into crafting, but not a big GTN seller, I just like to supply my army of alts. I do routinely sell barrels/hilts/armorings/mods that I have left over from critting, and I can attest that lvl 18 - 40 (charecter lvl speaking here) is the best for making money. It seems at lower level no one bothers and at higher level there are enough planetary comms available for gearing up, but the range I mentioned seems kinda sweet spot.

Augments and kits are another safe bet, but with buying the mats profit margin is low (on my server) and with the insane amount of components needed from RE'ing stuff I do not bother with it :)

Right now there seems to be a market for crafted orange "war hero (rated)" armor shells. Since the 'rated' system was altered the requirement was taken off those armor schems (no longer available) and can be worn by anyone. I've seen prices ranging from 80k - 130k per piece.

Granted, it was probably an oversight by the devs, but it's been around at least a couple of weeks and they are aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Not really at all. You can't crit when making armor, and get 2 pieces for the cost of one set of mats. All you can get is the free augment slot. Even then, the sell price isn't automatically double the non crit result. That was the point of that post, making your mats stretch as far as possible.

And as I mentioned, armor/weapon crafters have to contend with the Cartel Market, Reputation vendors and quest drops for gear looks. I feel pretty confident (based on nothing more then observation on my server only) that most individuals looks are gear pieces obtained via the Cartel Market and Rep vendors already. So selling those wares in volume (compared to my example items) is difficult.

So in the end, with my example, only other crafters are working "against" you in trying to sell those specific wares, rather then the alternative of crafters, vendors, quests and the cartel market working against you if your selling armor/weapons.

It's a easy and rather inexpensive investment to get setup and start making money in game.

The problem is everyone else is doing the same thing, and products that crit for double are selling for less than the raw mats cost and that's not even counting commission. Your assumption is that the market is ignorant to the fact that they're getting double the product for the same mats when in fact sellers flooding these markets are aware of this and pricing accordingly. It still makes money but not considerably more than just crafting armor. The smartest thing is to do both. I personally have made hundreds of millions of credits selling armor and augments for Synthweaving/Armormech.

Selling armor is very profitable if you have desirable schematics or have taken the time to unlock the best combinations of purple gear. For the most part it's more enjoyable because the market is steadier than augments, and you don't have to constantly price check and undercut.