Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PLEASE make holographic companions OPTIONAL

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
PLEASE make holographic companions OPTIONAL

Velarax
11.07.2014 , 10:35 AM | #1
Seriously, my SH still looks like a friggin ghost town. PLEASE at least give us the CHOICE of NOT having holographic companions hither and yon. I understand some folks like to set up a council scenario with holograms. BUT for many others, myself included, I would rather see the "full-bodied-fully-fleshed" companions.

That way the aesthetics of the SH which again, are all the SH really has to offer, are not RUINED.

PLEASE FIX THIS.

Banthabreeder
11.07.2014 , 02:54 PM | #2
/agree %100
“Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.”

Mubrak
11.09.2014 , 02:37 AM | #3
I assume the problem is that the game doesn't load your alt's companions, so it doesn't know their equipment and uses a generic model to represent them; to hide that, the generic models are turned into holograms. Another reason might be that when your jugger places his Vette, and it remains a functioning companion when your mara is logged in, he might be able to talk to her while his own Vette accompanies him. And finally what happens when you have that companion follow you? Should he (or his clone / twin?) still stand there and talk to you?

I see 3 uses for companions:

• The stronghold is the home of the character who placed his companions, they are doing their thing like on the ship. In this case, simply don't show the companion that currently follows you. Leaving a hologram at the place they usually stand is silly, leaving behind clones would be even worse.

• You use them to make your stronghold look busy, here companions could easily be replaced by generic personell decorations. If there just were enough of them...

• To set up a grand meeting of all your legacy companions, just as unusual (if not more so) as using the holograms for a scenario that involves holograms, and opens a new bunch of problems if you have more than one char of that base class.

So, assuming I'm right with the gear / clone issues, I'd say:

• Instead of showing holograms, just don't display our active companion and companions of other chars.
  • when we have maxed affection with a companion, give us the generic model and the hologram as personell-decorations.

XiamaraSimi
11.09.2014 , 08:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
[*]when we have maxed affection with a companion, give us the generic model and the hologram as personell-decorations.
This is a fantabulous idea! (See I like it so much it made me use a gibberish word!) They don't need to be interactive, just static like the guards/dancers

Banthabreeder
11.12.2014 , 12:34 PM | #5
To be honest I wouldn't mind them going away completely. If it was between them going away completely or sticking with the way it is now, I would say get rid of them. If the option was between them going away completely or having them optional, I'd say optional.

Velarax
11.12.2014 , 05:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Banthabreeder View Post
To be honest I wouldn't mind them going away completely. If it was between them going away completely or sticking with the way it is now, I would say get rid of them. If the option was between them going away completely or having them optional, I'd say optional.
Fortunately for you, BW doesn't need to change a thing to make them go away completely! You can simply NOT put any companions down!

Banthabreeder
11.13.2014 , 02:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Velarax View Post
Fortunately for you, BW doesn't need to change a thing to make them go away completely! You can simply NOT put any companions down!
I do want to put the companions down, I just don't want them glowing blue.

Maullum
12.12.2014 , 02:27 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Banthabreeder View Post
I do want to put the companions down, I just don't want them glowing blue.
Exactly, if I can't have all my companions as full flesh and blood unless I'm on the right character, THAT'S OK, just get rid of them when I'm an alt, and bring them back when I'm on the right character. I want my companions to be a part of my stronghold, but I don't want holos. Gimme an in between option.
Both the light and dark are flawed, it is the balance which amazes all.

Banthabreeder
12.16.2014 , 07:59 PM | #9
/bump so people don't forget about this.

Grossmoff
12.21.2014 , 09:22 AM | #10
I would like to bump this because it bothers me, too.
a stronghold brought to life with companions is a fantastic addition to the game. but if you see companions from another character of your legacy, they appear as holograms.
in my opinion, this is the worst of several possible solutions.

1) they always appear in flesh and blood even if you visit the stronghold with another character. this is obviously the best solution
if bioware is not able to solve that technically, we have several other possibilities
2) let them not appear at all
3) let them appear in their default gear but in flesh and blood
4) let them appear in their default gear as holograms

obviously all of the solutions 2-4 are unsatisfying, but the holograms just take you out of immersion and make the stronghold look like a ghosttown.

I hope bioware is working on this and is able to give us solution 1) sometime, but least give us options to choose between 2-4 as soon as possible
THE PAY TO WIN POLICE FORCE